My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Agito 19 released

Post by takenoko »

<Previous
Wiki
Next >

The conclusion of this two-parter. Thank you for your performance, Kintaros-kun!

But yeah, I really loved this story. It reflected the cruelty of reality. It's really just classical Greek tragic in many ways. You have good men trying their best, and as a result of their actions, they bring misery upon themselves. It really stands out as one of the best writing in Kamen Rider history. That said, the ending with Tsukasa saying the cruelest thing possible to Houjou, and then immediately regretting it and acknowledging, "Hey, you're a pretty good cop. You did the right thing" sort of seemed like a hopeful ending. The guy committed an act of sin, and takes responsibility for it (with a little encouragement from Houjou).

That said, how many people wouldn't have done what Tsukasa did? Such a good episode.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Re: Agito 19 released

Post by ReversedSentai »

This is a really good episode. The whole thing where Honjou was able to see through Tsukasa's lie gives the idea that as the disciple, he has succeeded his teacher in a way. The moment where Tsukasa said that it was a mistake for him to save Honjou, but then immediately saving the inverse, while tearing, that he truly made the right choice by saving the life of a talented cop really made me feel a bit emotional on the inside.

Even though Tsukasa's action was totally understandable with him trying to avenge his sister, a murder is still a murder, even if Hanamura wasn't the culprit. For him to take responsibility for that crime definitely displays his sense of justice.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Even Houjou has his limits. He could easily ignore Tsukasa's crime and let the G3 unit to be reorganized under his direction but he didn't. He's still a jerk but I don't think he would want to use an innocent life to achieve his goal.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

One of the only few episodes where Hojou does something that's not utterly retarded or dipshitty.

Not enough to redeem him, but I respect that he did the right thing. This time.
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

Bad Agito, Bad Agito!, don´t you dare and try to make Hojou kind-of-likeable again!!

Just Kidding Hojou, you know we love you.

I really cracked up when Hojou and Tsukasa were bad mouting the G3 Unit and Hikawa only got mad when they called Clumsy, seriously, this has to be one of my favorite recurrent jokes ever.

Also, this gills arc is taking its sweeeet time to get going.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Rewatching this, it really starts showing the seeds of Inoue's cynicism of humanity that leads to the tragedies that show up in 555 or Kiva. The breadmaker victim here is never portrayed as evil or cruel or anything, but he's a straight up murderer. Like he couldn't help it since it's humanity's base nature to do things like kill each other (which is something that the man in black is instilling in Tetsuya through those sessions of eavesdropping on people's thoughts). In turn, even a good man like Tsukasa resorts to killing because that cycle of hatred in humanity just can't be cut
darkarmorwearer
Gao
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Yu Takahashi
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: REM
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu Gagaga
Quote: Long, long ago! 20th century!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by darkarmorwearer »

Geeze, a Columbo reference on a tokusatsu site... I love TV-Nihon. <3
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

darkarmorwearer wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:45 pm Geeze, a Columbo reference on a tokusatsu site... I love TV-Nihon. <3
I'm old D: but also Columbo is great! Loved the way he acted like a fool to disarm his opponents
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

This form of narrative is really a police thriller. It perfectly nails Houjou being a real asshole all the time, after all he never forgets his duty as a cop.
darkarmorwearer
Gao
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Yu Takahashi
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: REM
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu Gagaga
Quote: Long, long ago! 20th century!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by darkarmorwearer »

I LOVE COLUMBO. Ok, back to Kamen Rider. :-)
HachiHalation
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O

Post by HachiHalation »

Man, what a great episode. Rewatching this after Donbrothers made me think about a couple of things too. First was that its unfortunate that we probably won't ever get these slow, character driven episodes again given the current climate of Kamen Rider. The second was that Taro from Donbrothers kind has aspects of Hojou built into his character, but maybe with an infinitely less punch-able face; where he is kinda of an asshole, but a part of his strength is not relenting on what he thinks is right. The third was than Inoue likes cutaways to the female lead making weird facial expressions (not particularly in this episode, but in the show as a whole).

Return to “Kamen Rider Agito”