DereklBarona
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz/W
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: When in doubt, Rider Kick.

Re: Go-Busters 50 (Final Mission) released

Post by DereklBarona »

Kuchiri wrote:http://www.orendsrange.com/2013/02/hiro ... R3l6vKa2HB - Hiroya Matsumoto's final words in character as Jin.
I saw those. Everyone else is talking about how much they enjoyed working on the show and how much fun it was and how much they liked the other actors, and Jin does it in character.

Goddammit, Jin. Just goddammit. TT_TT
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

I'm still saying it, enter is gonna return in the VS. ......and pull an "Enemy Mine" and help the busters in the fight against the villain...

It was really sad to see Jin die(and Matsumoto's good bye words as jin make it even sadder), and altough they don't see to mourn him, i think it has to do with this fact not coming from nowhere. They already knew Jin was dying with no clear way to save himself.

I really liked the final fight. A problem i tend to have with the final fight in sentais is that it is way too much one-sided. Here, Enter was stronger than them, but the busters were able to give him a fight.

Loved J resisting Enter's attack. Not only badass, but it makes a nice contrast between the two. J is closer to a human than Enter. He feels and understand emotions, and that gives him the strenght to keep fighting. I say it again, I loved how they handled J as a character instead of a toy who they pretend is a character.

Seeing the subdimension disappear with the busters in the ground, with the implication that they have accepted their fate is always interesting to see. they never pretended to walk away alive from this battle. and Jedi spirit Jin does not ruin it.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

Jin and J's relationship was the strongest part of a very strong season, followed in close second by Enter. I loved how Jin was all smiley and happy telling them everything was going to be solved perfectly like it so often is in Sentai, and when J tells the truth the front Jin is putting on instantly falls. It was very powerful, and shows how well those two character shave worked together in the season.

Reiterating what others have said, the attempt to tell story more grounded in realism is what brought this season alive for me. Even little things like the battle damage on the suits revealing wires tells you they transform for protection, for instance. The showrunner made a fantastic effort in explaining all the usual Sentai tropes in a believable way, or changing things that never made sense, and the show benefited leaps and bounds from that.

I'm so glad it ended how it did, the possibility was there to do a "everything's all right in the end" finale, but that wouldn't be in the spirit of Go-Busters. No, it's not easy. No, the heroes don't ever come out of battle invincible and victorious. They've suffered a huge loss every step of the way, but the sacrifices they made were ones they had to make.

So! Let's hope this calibre of writing continues into the next season, though my gut says all the good work in revitalising Super Sentai might be lost on the new team..
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Hate to admit this, but all through the episode, I was trying to figure out how they could beat Enter, destroy the backup card, and save Jin., You know, win against all odds, do the impossible, and have a (even if forced) happy ending... And then Jin's real body, and the backup card were destroyed... No doubt for the next Vs film, they're find someway to bring back BeetBuster or Jin, but I'm not convinced it will last longer than the film though. It's a pity, since Jin and J were what made me stick with Go-Buster, but it was impressive they went this route.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Fuck it. Jin was the only reason I kept forcing myself to watch. It's sad him and J didn't get as much focus as the others, they really were fantastic characters when used properly.
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

As I can watch the episode a few days / hours after the hours, the only thing I can say is : everything was said...

So sad Jin disappears, so sad J is alone, even so sad Enter dies. And the only survivors are so useless...
Thank you anyway for this great show. I have excellent souvenirs, this badass fight Hiromu had against Gunroid (ouch, sorry I forgot his name), the growing rivalty between Ryuuuji and Escape. The turnabout in which Enter became the real threat, and Messiah just a word. And thanks for the team for the translation !

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

Well, everyone already said what I wanted to say, but damn this was a good series and a good ending. At first, I was a little sad thinking that the epilogue didn't feel too fleshed out, but like Take said in an earlier post, some other Super Sentai series really did just end with "oh, the main villain is dead, series over." Also, I'm hoping that kinda like what they did with Fourze vs. OOO, they'll do something similar with KyoRyuuger vs. Gobuster, but that's just a hope.

Also, I might be in the minority, but although Gobuster did try keep themselves grounded to keep it more "realistic," I kinda hope that KyoRyuuger is as wacky as it's preview shows it to be. Usually, by keeping it wacky or, better yet, over-the-top, you tend to get those "hot-blooded" motifs which I'm looking forward to seeing again. I don't know how good of a comparison it is, but I compare the two styles to being similar to realistic mecha anime vs. super robot mechs anime where both are good for their own reasons. Oh well, on to the KyoRyuuger thread!

Oh and I noticed in your opening credits, thanks for all of your work Petrkr!
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

Yes, they took Sentai in a new direction with this one. Problem is, I was just fine with the old direction. This series started out "okay" and really just never got any better. I can say I liked it a little better than Goseiger, but that's still setting the bar pretty low. And I hate saying that. But I'm not going to lie to myself or anyone else and gush over a series I thought was average at best. The mecha were okay, the villains were okay, the heroes were okay.....but that's honestly as good as it got. I predicted Jin's death back when they first revealed Card 07, so it didn't come as a surprise, but unless I've missed one Jin does have the honor of being only the fifth team member killed in a show (I don't count Rio and Mele as they were villains for the majority of the series and never officially joined the team) since the Sentai franchise started back in the 70s, so that is a rare honor and they did pull off his death well, but that bit of acting was the highest point the series hit for me. I can't really say I was expecting it to be better than Gokaiger (which was one of the best of all time, in my opinion), but I was hoping for more than I eventually got. It wasn't a "bad" show; I can say that much, and it will probably merit a re-watch a year or two down the road and maybe watching it with fresh eyes and keeping every plot point in mind from the get-go will help me see it in a different light. But until and unless that happens, I just have to say I'm not overwhelmed or underwhelmed with this series.....it was just "there".
xenoss
Adventure

Post by xenoss »

A great ending to a great series. It felt a bit rushed, that's for sure, but the emotional pay off was nicely done.

To me, the series was still at its best from 1-30. It never really picked back up to the initial quality (to me). Though the last few episodes were great, they were still not as near perfect for me as the initial 30 eps.

But overall, I gotta say this series was top notch. It bothered me a lot that the second half wasn't nearly as good, but that is only because I liked the first half so damn much.

This is the closest to Gekiranger quality for me; easily my 2nd fav Sentai show.

I'm going to miss this series A LOT. especially seeing how the next series looks to be more traditional type of sentai show.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

I know I started with a VERY BAD impression of this season at first, but things really improved when Jin appeared, and he made my GB ride awesome till the very end. Given all this, I really didn't want him to die, and at one point I was praying, "Kill Hiromu and let Jin return to the surface." Given all that Jin's done for the team, I really expected to respect his death, the first ranger death since AbareKiller. Okay, at the end of the day, it may be a kid's show so they can't really dampen the mood with a mourning scene, but there are other ways to do it. Very subtle stuff, maybe like a photo of him being hung in Ryuuji's lab, and perhaps Youko recalling him and her mother at the party, and maybe Hiromu telling Nick he's stronger now like his father and Jin would've wanted, would've done great justice to Jin's death without causing any time issues or dampening the atmosphere of the end. Jin's been great, and I just wish Toei had made things nicer for his departure.

And... It's an interesting similarity that I felt the same about Magiranger but turned around and appreciated it when they gave Tsubasa greater scope in the show. It really brought back memories when he shouted his famous, strongly emotional "YOU DUMBASSES" in his hangar just like how he used to years ago... Jin, you'll always be the best Go-Buster, and the biggest reason for me to get through the show.

With all that being said, Go-Busters officially becomes my number three Sentai (four if you count Gokaiger, but I exclude anniversary seasons when I rank my Sentai) following Dekaranger, which is in the second place behind Shinkenger, the one show that stole my heart without even trying.... :)

Bye, Jin-tachi!
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:The mecha were okay, the villains were okay, the heroes were okay.....but that's honestly as good as it got. I predicted Jin's death back when they first revealed Card 07, so it didn't come as a surprise, but unless I've missed one Jin does have the honor of being only the fifth team member killed in a show (I don't count Rio and Mele as they were villains for the majority of the series and never officially joined the team) since the Sentai franchise started back in the 70s...
Character death spoiler
Spoiler
Kirenger, Battle Cossack, Yellow Four, Black Condor, Dragonranger, the original Black Knight, TimeFire, Abarekiller, and BeetBuster...I count nine. Shurikenger also kind of died, though they retconned that in Abareranger vs. Hurricaneger.
Last edited by Lunagel on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Jesus man, spoiler alert that shit
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

DekaBreak wrote:Very subtle stuff, maybe like a photo of him being hung in Ryuuji's lab, and perhaps Youko recalling him and her mother at the party, and maybe Hiromu telling Nick he's stronger now like his father and Jin would've wanted, would've done great justice to Jin's death without causing any time issues or dampening the atmosphere of the end. Jin's been great, and I just wish Toei had made things nicer for his departure.
They kind of did, with J still holding on to that black block at the end, which represents Jin when they were explaining the card transfer in earlier episodes
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Post by butyoumight »

Am I the only person who doesn't mind that they didn't show any active 'mourning' scenes?

The way I see it, it's obvious that the epilogue-scenes we DID get weren't like, the next day or week after the defeat of Enter. It was at least a few weeks if not longer. So they didn't actively show the mourning scenes. That doesn't mean they didn't happen, that doesn't make the Go-Busters heartless terrible people. That just means the mourning probably happened off screen, just like, I assume, any mourning they did for their parents happened off screen. Stuff happens off screen all the time. They mourned, and they MOVED ON, the way Jin wanted them to. Adding in a bunch of violently emotional scenes of "he's gone" stuff would have been, I think, a bit too heavy after everything else that happened, in this episode and in this SEASON.

Besides, does Jin seem like the kind of guy who wants his dearest friends, practically his family, to sit around moping about his active and purposeful heroic sacrifice? HELL NO! He wants them to keep living their lives and protecting the Earth.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Congratulations, Youko, you got into high school!

But you're years behind everyone else in club activities and extracurriculars on top of being a poor student; Go-Busting is probably still classified to protect their civilian lives, so good luck getting into a good college with those transcripts. Looks like someone's going to be OL Youko-tan for the rest of her life~
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

butyoumight wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't mind that they didn't show any active 'mourning' scenes?

The way I see it, it's obvious that the epilogue-scenes we DID get weren't like, the next day or week after the defeat of Enter. It was at least a few weeks if not longer. So they didn't actively show the mourning scenes. That doesn't mean they didn't happen, that doesn't make the Go-Busters heartless terrible people. That just means the mourning probably happened off screen, just like, I assume, any mourning they did for their parents happened off screen. Stuff happens off screen all the time. They mourned, and they MOVED ON, the way Jin wanted them to. Adding in a bunch of violently emotional scenes of "he's gone" stuff would have been, I think, a bit too heavy after everything else that happened, in this episode and in this SEASON.

Besides, does Jin seem like the kind of guy who wants his dearest friends, practically his family, to sit around moping about his active and purposeful heroic sacrifice? HELL NO! He wants them to keep living their lives and protecting the Earth.
It's not so much that I wanted a very active mourning scene as it is that I wanted them to talk about Jin a little bit more. A good way to explain it is with J at the end grasping that black block, signifying Jin. I think you needed that with Kuroki for like 15-30 seconds and it would've been fine. You don't need them to be actually mourning as you need someone to say "hey, thanks for sacrificing yourself."

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”