Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 10 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Yami_10

Pretty simple story. Poor Tsuboi. Trusting all the wrong people and not being able to help Haruka. It seems kind of weird that the episode is called promise, since it doesn't seem like Tsuboi broke one or anything.

But yeah, I liked Tsuboi's dad too. He's obviously too tough on his son, but in the end he does care about him.

Kind of wish Ryuuga wasn't smirking through the episode.

Sorry about the earthquake notice that appeared in this one. Japan and earthquakes.

I wonder how many of the stunts were done by Nao herself.

If I had to nitpick the episode, I'd have to say that Haruka seems too much like a Madou Horror. Inga Horrors are usually like animals. I'd really doubt that a Horror from previous seasons of Garo would empty out a family's apartment to cover up their crime.

As usual, there's a few moments that kind of seem weird. Like Tsuboi's dad becoming nice after being unreasonably angry for most of the episode. It would have been nice if they had played his character a bit more evenly. I did like his apology after slapping his son though. (His mother probably was devoured by a Horror, since this is Volcity) Raising his son alone like that, it'd make sense for him to go overboard in placing his hopes on his son like that. I guess he redeems himself by covering for his son when he thinks Ryuuga is going to use his sword.

To Tsuboi's dad, SG-1 is full of chumps. I've seen these guys in action. Your son would have no trouble getting in.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 10 released

Post by Lunagel »

Whoo Nao! Her experience really showed in the fight scene, she was kicking all sorts of ass! Pity it was the same tri-mouth effect for her too.

Wish this episode wasn't so predictable though. I mean, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen through the whole thing, moreso because the last episode preview showed Nao fighting. Horray for spoilers made by the show itself.

Next episode: Hard boiled?!
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I'm sad to admit that this is the first toku show that I'm considering abandoning watching. I'm guessing we're a little over a third of the way through the season, and I'm flat-out bored whenever I sit down to watch an episode.

I'm going to try not to rant too much, but this episode typified everything I don't like about this series. First, I have not warmed up to our new Garo. I think the writers are trying to show that he has a good heart because he wants to help people, but he goes about it in so many stupid ways that he should realize are going to backfire on him. And in this episode, unfortunately we had none of the other supporting characters (most of whom I do like) to distract me from how much I dislike new Garo.

Second, the Horrors are flat. Other than the blob Horror, there's been hardly any design to the Inga Horrors other than that (now) annoying split-mouth. There's a half-dozen Horrors from the first season I can identify off the top of my head because they had fascinating backgrounds or methods that they used to lure in prey. The few Madou Horrors we've seen have okay designs, but very little screen time and lead me into my third gripe: the CGI usage.

I'm not anti-CGI. That would be silly, because Garo has always used CGI. But I noticed the way it was used in Garo started to change in Makai Senki, and it's only gotten worse in this series. I'm probably not going to phrase this well, but it's like every element of a battle has to be CGI (which makes it look like I'm watching a video game instead of a tokusatsu production), or they leave the CGI out completely.

I guess I'm just frustrated because I wanted to like the series and I'm struggling to justify spending the time watching it. And if you can't enjoy an episode with Nao in it, what can you enjoy?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I liked the episode though. Ryuuga certainly has that "I'm a creepy stalker" disguise but I think he is your typical hero though. He's not Kouga and people should stop comparing him to him. I do fine it funny that Ryuuga has become a Boogieman urban myth among the high school crowd, "If you don't do your chores, Ryuuga is going to kill you.".

Also I want to say the following the CG. For me, it's really like on the bottom rung when I think about the show along with monster design so I'm not hung up about it as most other people are. I think the lack of suits is that they might not be able to pull off the agile fighting scenes we see with the knight armor. It's been a long time since I seen either of the first two seasons of Garo so I'm not be right about this but I don't remember being much agile stuff for the suits without the use of CG being involved.

One more thing, how many of you realized that the CG is being done by a different studio instead of Omnibus Japan who did the first two seasons of Garo? Are you even using that info to base your opinions of the CG in this season along with other things like Horror design?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Also, the commercial about the guy in a cardboard box is Taiko from @deep and Kaho from all the stuff she's been in.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

Overall an okay episode for me, but one thing I didn't like was that the story felt a bit disjointed and forced to me.

First of all halfway through the fight in the library, it suddenly cuts back to Nao in the class room attacking Tsuboi. Obviously a setup to have Tsuboi have Ryuga come back to save him (out of nowhere?), and also realize that Ryuga isn't a murderer. Then Tsuboi's dad shows up just in time for him to conveniently defend Ryuga.

I wonder if Tsuboi saw Ryuga's henshin though... that part was a bit ambiguous. Whatever happened to priest Burai's lesson to Ryuga last episode about involving other humans in their fight.
Wild Goose
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by Wild Goose »

I feel troubled.

We're halfway through this season and I don't feel the draw that made me marathon Garo and Makai Senki.

Also I totally miss Zaruba. Him snarking away and Kouga straight manning was one of the enjoyable things of the earlier show.

Still, decent ep (even if the Dad was played kinda unevenly).
hyeperionx
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: Why the hell did no one continue to bring us such awesomeness

Post by hyeperionx »

Hi I been sneaking about for a while but I want to chip in on this

I liked this episode because I saw something that may be a little of a link..up until this point the group have been having the tables turned on them by the horrors and it seems with total ease and everything they seem to achieve gets undone and last episode was again a simple manipulation and now Ryugaa is public enemy number one and the episode before shows that the horrors have some form of mind control over humans, it would of taken more than just a wave of the hand to make that family believe they were not rejected in the first place.

What he did this episode was sew a seed and now someone has seen the truth, and as the knights actions in the future may grow that seed and people will trust them kinda like they are playing the horrors at their own game

As for a quick run down I like this series and as good as the first two was I wanted a fresh approach and Yami wo Tersau gives us in essence three raw rookies thrown in right at the deep end, plus to me it seems we are going to watch Ryugaa achieve this title of Garo and not in a flashback I just hope its not in the final episode he gets it and if he dose I hope he kicks some major butt.

And anything with Miss Nagasawa in always a win for me.
Animetigerlily
7X
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Trip-hop

Post by Animetigerlily »

Gah! Ryuuga, don't stand outside the window, smirking like that! *scared*
Spoiler
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

About the pic of the website, I think that it was done in the first "Yami wo terasu mono" event, where they introduces the new characteres for the first time, and Kouga (and Amemiya) were there.

locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i love how the poor guy tries to inform his father that he saw ONE OF THE MOST WANTED AND DANGEROUS PERSONS IN THE CITY, and has reasons to suspect he attacked students at his school, and he may be his next target, and the father just tells him to shut up. I get why he is tough, but at least he could ask his son what troubles him. i mean, i think i saw this plot in at least 5 slashers before.
I love the slasher smile ryuuga had in the entire episode. it is a wonder why anyone would tought he is a serial killer.
Last edited by locuas on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonSilver
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JonSilver »

Animetigerlily wrote:Gah! Ryuuga, don't stand outside the window, smirking like that! *scared*
Spoiler
[ Image ]
Seriously. THIS IS NOW HOW YOU WIN TRUST.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

PHurricane wrote:stuff
I think calling this series boring is unfortunate. Makai Senki had a big driving plot constantly running, which was cool, but Ougon Kishi was really plodding for a long time and didn't really pick up until after the mid-season recap. I find this series interesting, it's very much a western, which they seem to be aware of and emphasize often.

I actually commented to my girlfriend while we were watching this episode how there doesn't seem to be a physical Garo suit this time around, because oh yes, there has been quite a lot of entirely CGI fighting going on. In the end, they're jamming hard on the chanbara-genre thing of the fights ending with a single, sudden flurry of violence, so maybe that's why they're not bothering with the suit anymore.

And finally, I like the episodes where the other knights don't show up. Other than Burai, the Makai A-Team really sucks and I want them all to get lost. They're annoying and I just don't care about their crap, especially not Ikeda Junya there and his constantly nailing random chicks.
dekamaster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: magiranger
My boom: sentai/kamen rider

Post by dekamaster »

my only gripe with this episode (other than ryuuga's stalker smile threw the window because that just wasn't a good idea on his part) was that Nao went from getting knocked on her back from a hard shot to suddenly back in the classroom going after tsuboi like nothing had happened between her and Ryuuga.
series I've watched

sentai:Live,Dai,deka,magi,geki,go on,shinken,gosei,gokai,go busters

kamen rider:ZX,ryuki,Decade,W,OOO,fourze
Demas21
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Favorite Band: I Fight Dragons
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: If you want a happy ending, it depends on where you end the story.

Post by Demas21 »

Did anyone else notice Shiono Akihisa (AKA Souji from Kyouryuuger) in the background during the classroom scenes?

You can see him on the right there.
It might just be the shallow depth of field making the actor look like him, but I'm pretty sure it's him.

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”