Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

MegaRanger 39 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/MegaRanger_39

Oh Kenta, haven't you seen the Superman movies?

Kind of sucks about that girl's brother. But I'm sure a surf through space with no helmet will make her forget all about it.

Really, Dr. Hinelar. Why did you make the NejiRangers if you aren't going to use them? No one understands what your plan is, including your most loyal of followers.

Shun's "Leave it to me!" "I'll eat it for you" line is pretty good.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: MegaRanger 39 released

Post by jonty »

Just as a point of interest, here's what the subtitle script looks like for that less-than-2-second segment where we see the computer screen saying that Kenta has an email:

Code: Select all

Dialogue: 0,0:06:20.69,0:06:20.73,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.02\pos(194,293.2)}Checking e-mail.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:20.73,0:06:20.76,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.02\pos(193,292.5)}Checking e-mail.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:20.76,0:06:20.79,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.02\pos(192.2,292.5)}Checking e-mail.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:20.79,0:06:20.86,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.02\pos(190,290.5)}Checking e-mail.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:20.86,0:06:20.93,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.02\pos(189,287.5)}Checking e-mail.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:20.93,0:06:21.03,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.02\pos(189,287)}Checking e-mail.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:21.03,0:06:21.43,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.02\pos(189.5,286.7)}Checking e-mail.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:21.43,0:06:22.26,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.03\pos(189.5,286.7)}You have 1 message.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:22.26,0:06:22.29,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.03\pos(190,287.5)}You have 1 message.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:22.29,0:06:22.36,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.03\pos(193,285.7)}You have 1 message.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:22.36,0:06:22.39,Mega39 Computer Text,TXT,0,0,0,,{\fay-0.03\pos(193.7,285.7)}You have 1 message.
Takeaway is that each of the two lines has multiple subtitle lines (seven for the first line, four for the second line) because the supposedly static image actually moves around significantly. I didn't even do it perfectly, so it's probably still quite noticeable that the English translation doesn't match the movement of the screen images.

I'm always dealing with this when I'm typesetting MegaRanger, unfortunately. Someone else can speak better to the cause of the movement of what should be static images (it's especially noticeable for the first and last few frames of the shot), but suffice to say it's one of the things I least look forward to when working on an episode of MegaRanger.
Merisusa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: PGSM / Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze / Gokaiger
Dreamy: Nephrite / Yumeria
Favorite Actor?: Masato Wada
Favorite Band: Yuzu / Daft Punk
My boom: Gekiga
Quote: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

Post by Merisusa »

I thought this was a cute episode. I really liked the little girl who played Ayumi... She was able to get just the right balance of cute and annoying going when she was onscreen. The last scenes of her and Kenta riding through space were pretty touching, without being overbearingly sappy.

Also Dr. Hinelar has a pretty impressive evil laugh... Good and sinister. (^_^)
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

So magic invisible force field not only traps the air around them but also being able to be warm in the depths of space is my reasoning why Ayumi is able to survive without a proper suit.

I don't know why Hinelar decided to reveal that he plans to get rid of Jarvis to Shiborena and Yugande. They might want Jarvis alive and kicking after all.

Jonty, I'm guessing for older stuff that they probably have someone holding the camera while they are reading a note or a screen. I usually ignore trying to make the sub sync with the screen when it's moving all around. It's too much work for something so insignificant.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

If I were Hinelar, I'd trust Shiborena and Yugande to be loyal to me.
Kilowog
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: That's a secret :-P
Favorite Actor?: too many
Favorite Band: too many
My boom: OOO
Quote: "Life goes on. If you make struggle with your seriousness you will not feel an uneasiness."

Post by Kilowog »

takenoko wrote:Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/MegaRanger_39

Oh Kenta, haven't you seen the Superman movies?

Kind of sucks about that girl's brother. But I'm sure a surf through space with no helmet will make her forget all about it.
Yea! I kept telling myself "Ok, it's one of Toei's Super Sentai Physics which defies everything, carry on carry on lol"

Though, it's good to see these guys (megarangers) be an inspiration to kids, playing the big brother/sister roles :)
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Miku and Chisato were quite limited in screen time this episode, but after seeing the preview I'm assuming they were busy shooting for the next episode.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

17:59

"We now return to Battling Seizure Robots"

Fun fact: this episode aired just a few weeks before Dennō Senshi Porygon, the infamous seizure-inducing episode of Pokemon. I wonder if they made Toei edit this one for future broadcast? Maybe this is the edited version, and the original was even worse! :lol:

So the little girl not wearing a helmet in space wasn't Saban's doing? That's a bit surprising. It was one of those things that seemed so stupid (even back then) that I assumed after discovering Sentai was something they added, like Rad Bug.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

TBustah! wrote:17:59

[ Image ]

Fun fact: this episode aired just a few weeks before Dennō Senshi Porygon, the infamous seizure-inducing episode of Pokemon. I wonder if they made Toei edit this one for future broadcast? Maybe this is the edited version, and the original was even worse! :lol:
Photosensitive epilepsy is primarily triggered by a rapid flashing of different colors. Simply doing a moderate strobe effect (one where the screen doesn't go completely dark) should not induce a seizure in anyone, though it's still not going to be the most pleasant experience.

Now start rapidly alternating red and blue and you'll have a much larger problem...
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

ViRGE wrote:
TBustah! wrote:17:59

[ Image ]

Photosensitive epilepsy is primarily triggered by a rapid flashing of different colors. Simply doing a moderate strobe effect (one where the screen doesn't go completely dark) should not induce a seizure in anyone, though it's still not going to be the most pleasant experience.

Now start rapidly alternating red and blue and you'll have a much larger problem...

You're right. Another strobe effect in tokusatsu was Kamen Rider Black's Rider Punch/Rider Kick combo. which occurred in several episodes. That was ten years before the Pocket Monsters incident, and as far as I know, few if anyone was harmed by it. I believe there are plenty of other examples of strobe effects in Japanese television.

But as you said, the Pocket Monsters episode involved alternating red and blue light, which at one point filled the entire screen for a second or two.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Even so, I have to wonder if they had to tone this one down for future broadcast and home release, or if they just did it without being told to avoid causing panic.

I mean, remember the ridiculous (albeit, understandable) lengths everybody went to tone down TV right after 9/11? Robots in Disguise in particular comes to mind, which I imagine is at least part of the reason you guys subbed Car Robots. Even if something is totally harmless, if the masses think it can hurt them or cause trouble, it's probably a good idea to take some precautions.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

TBustah! wrote:Even so, I have to wonder if they had to tone this one down for future broadcast and home release, or if they just did it without being told to avoid causing panic.
Having never seen the original broadcast we'll never really know. But I would be surprised if it was any worse than this, as anything more would be overdoing it.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

If Kenta practices fighting NejiRed by playing a video game, when he's actually fighting, is he pressing buttons in his head?
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Typical child episode but the girl playing Ayumi really sells it and makes it enjoyable, has she been in anything else?
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!

Return to “Sentai-Denji Sentai MegaRanger”