zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Ultraman Ginga 03 released

Post by zeta_gundam »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ultraman_Ginga_03

Trivia: The codes Officer Kakki used during the fire are a tribute to "Emergency Directive 10-4 10-10" (緊急指令10-4・10-10), another tokusatsu show produced by Tsuburaya Productions in 1972. "10-4" means "Understood!" (了解) and "10-10" means "Communication Over!" (通信終わり).
- Thanks to Yaiba for pointing this out! I was really struggling with the 10-10 code. In official 10-codes, 10-10 actually means "Current location".

Fun fact about King Pandon:
- Pandon first appeared in UltraSeven as kinda like the last boss. Pandon was later modified to become Modified Pandon, which if I can recall correctly, was the last kaiju Seven fought in his series.
- Pandon then made its appearance in the UltraSeven: EVOLUTION as Neo Pandon.
- Finally, Pandon appeared in the awesome movie starring Tiga - "Great Decisive Battle! The Super 8 Ultra Brothers!" - as King Pandon. It's this Pandon that appears in this episode.

Another thing to note:
- The Dark Spark (capital D, capital S; Japanese: ダークスパーク) refers to the Spark that the mysterious creepy guy in the room of toys holds.
- The spark of darkness (闇のスパーク, yami no spark) refers to the clear purple sparks that the people use to DarkLive into the kaiju, as well as the Dark Spark itself. The clear purple sparks alone are apparently referred to as "Dark Dummy Spark".

See, what did I say? The show's all about pursuing one's dreams. This time, it's about Kenta's dream. And in the preview... well, you can guess it.

What do you guys feel about the characters so far? It still feels very Hikaru-centric.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Ultraman Ginga 03 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

I was more interested in the reason why Yuuka wanting to destroy her former school and Kenta's dream. Too bad they didn't expand on that more. Poor Taro he gets burned and now trapped in a birdcage inside some robot hovering above the Earth. He just wants to be big again like his enemy Valkie.

The weird thing about this episode is when Yuuka becomes Pandon and suddenly both her and Hikaru are outside of the school fighting with no one noticing them at all.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam »

Phoenix512 wrote:I was more interested in the reason why Yuuka wanting to destroy her former school and Kenta's dream. Too bad they didn't expand on that more. Poor Taro he gets burned and now trapped in a birdcage inside some robot hovering above the Earth. He just wants to be big again like his enemy Valkie.

The weird thing about this episode is when Yuuka becomes Pandon and suddenly both her and Hikaru are outside of the school fighting with no one noticing them at all.
True. The lack of explanation about destroying her former school is odd. Maybe it's because the 4 of them are enjoying themselves in the school, but she's lonely. So she wants to destroy the school so that no one else can be happy in it?

As for the two of them fighting, Kenta and Kakki are too obsessed with fighting the fire... But it doesn't explain how Chigusa and Tomoya don't realise that Hikaru isn't around though.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This episode was kind of poor compared to the first two. The fight was kind of average.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Guess how many times Kenta said "Yuuka-san" in this episode
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

This episode lacks the energy that I felt during the first 2 episodes earlier, the camerawork maybe? or is it the dubbing?
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam »

Probably the fight scene...? It wasn't as... energetic (?) as the previous two episodes.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Fight scene didn't have the right atmosphere as a fight scene. It was trying to make us feel sorry for Yuuka or Kenta. Hikaru barely put up a fight at all. Then when he finally transformed he went straight to finisher.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

If you watched the fight scene you will realise how off the dubbing for the monster is.

Or maybe the lack of the insert song played in the previous 2 episodes? I get it that they want us to feel sorry for Kenta, but that moment felt.....unfinished. maybe if they just put an acoustic ver of the song, it will be better...
StereotypeAsian
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Leo
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Takano Hassei
Favorite Band: Bon Jovi
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: 热忱之心不可磨灭,体恤弱者,互相帮助,无论与哪国的人们都能成为朋友。不要丢掉那份感情,纵然这感情被背叛过几百回,这是我不变的愿望

Post by StereotypeAsian »

Twin/Two Headed Kaiju Pandon, a beast so savage and coincide Seven's worse physical condition that it pretty much curb stomped Seven. It even caught the Eye Slugger with its bare hands. Seven had to win through smarts both time.
Compared to the original Pandon, which had a more organic look, King Pandon suit looks more sinister, but loses some realistic feeling, i.e. looks plastic.

The episode itself is, well, kinda lame. It sets up a love triangle premise, but didn't deliver. As for the pyromaniac, she was kinda flat in character.
The fight is, well, so-so.

Ah Taro, you so silly. It's funny how Alien Valkie acts like he's Taro's nemesis, given that it was Taro's human host, not Taro, who killed him back in the days.

Spoiler
Goddammit Jean Killer, why are you evil again?
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

I have seen the first 3 episodes and I must say I kinda think this show is a bit boring. I don't know if it is still ongoing or that you are subbing it from a blue-ray, but if it last more than 5 episodes I don't know if I'll continue watching.

It just doesn't have the action that Kamen Rider and Super Sentai have, nor does the story intrigue me. The action is slow. The relic and dolls seem like the mass produced toys that children can find on the shelve. All the people who do bad things seem really contrived and forced into the show. Besides that the emotion they portray really feels false. It feels really lazy put together as if they just wanted to put out another anniversary show quick, but not put any effort in it.

And I guess it is an anniversary show because it does the same stupid trope Toei has been doing since Decade and that is relying heavily on nostalgia to pull the showwagon. I certainly hope it is the 50th year anniversary to even warrant an anniversary show (I know Ultraman is older then Kamen Rider and Super Sentai), but then it is really cheap for a 50th year anniversary.

I know it sounds like an angry rant, but I can assure you I am not angry. I am disappointed in Toei. The current trend is to hold every 5 years an anniversary something, which amounts to pretty much every year an anniversarry something for at least one of their shows. And the way the anniversary is done is by pretty much banking on nostalgia, because it is cheap to make and will get the most money. There are a few occurances where this kind of anniversary is done well:
- Kamen Rider The First
- Kamen Rider The Next
- Kamen Rider Decade (reasonably at least)
- Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam »

1. It's not an anniversary production of Ultraman. It's an anniversary production of Tsuburaya Productions.
2. Ultraman is not owned by Toei. It's owned by Tsuburaya Pro.
3. It's meant for kids. The main character is 17 years old. He's the youngest Ultraman host to date. Almost every other Ultraman host is in his 20s/30s and part of some defense team of sorts. This is about kids chasing their dreams. I'm pretty sure it's not targeted at an adult audience.

Ultraman's 50th anniversary is in 2016. If you think that Tsuburaya doesn't care about the big anniversaries, you can just go backwards and look at the recent anniversary productions.
- The 30th production was Tiga, and I think a lot of people will claim that Tiga is awesome.
- The 35th anniversary was Cosmos, which had a unique take on Ultraman with a warrior of peace (he doesn't kill the monster unless necessary).
- The 40th anniversary was Mebius, which was targeted at both the old and new generations of people who watch Ultraman.
- The 45th anniversary was actually a trilogy movie starring Ultraman Zero (Saga, the third one in the line of movies, was pretty weak though).

Also, I don't think THE FIRST and THE NEXT are anniversary movies. They are just theatrical productions.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

The First and The Next aren't anniversary related at all. The First was released in 2005 (34 years) and The Next was 2007 (36 years). Also that's the reason why in various Toei Productions there's a bleep whenever someone says Ultraman since they don't own Ultraman.

The Blu-Ray for Ginga isn't out yet. If you watched the CMs from episode 2, the release date for the first one is next month.
StereotypeAsian
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Leo
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Takano Hassei
Favorite Band: Bon Jovi
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: 热忱之心不可磨灭,体恤弱者,互相帮助,无论与哪国的人们都能成为朋友。不要丢掉那份感情,纵然这感情被背叛过几百回,这是我不变的愿望

Post by StereotypeAsian »

Phoenix512 wrote:The First and The Next aren't anniversary related at all. The First was released in 2005 (34 years) and The Next was 2007 (36 years). Also that's the reason why in various Toei Productions there's a bleep whenever someone says Ultraman since they don't own Ultraman.

The Blu-Ray for Ginga isn't out yet. If you watched the CMs from episode 2, the release date for the first one is next month.
That didn't stop the Imagin shorts from using Taro though.

I don't think any of the Ultraman series were that serious. Leo was bloody, but not totally hardcore. Tiga was a bit grin, but still kid friendly enough. Seven X was late night, but it's more cyberpunk than adult. Only odd one out was Nexus, but that's like the exception that proves the rule.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

When Taro was kidnapped, I thought it would be Tomoya behind it, but I was not expecting them to be inside a giant robot in space!

Tomoya looks like he knows something about what's going on, but he may not be the villain. For someone who's supposed to be reserved, he did show a lot of emotion when finding the school on fire.

Return to “Ultraman Ginga”