Kyouryuuger Series Discussion

ZyuRanger without the Jews
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Kyouryuuger Series Discussion

Post by Phoenix512 »

Another year, another Sentai series is in the books. Kyouryuuger for me is something with mixed feelings about. The series is campy and doesn't take itself seriously and even when it does, it does it in a way that fits very well with itself. Towards the end I began to realize that it's Macross if they made it into a Super Sentai. Music is an important part in both series and even to a certain extent it had a love triangle regardless how weak it really was in Kyouryuuger's case.

For the core team, I feel they have mostly grown throughout the series itself but where they ended up is a bit empty to me. Before I go to Daigo, I will talk about the rest of the team.

Ian probably had the least amount of character growth out of the main 6 but has an awesome character song and really like his indecision to hate Aigallon at the end along with using Aigallon's axe to kill his replacement was great.

Nossan should have ended up with Candarila at the end but I guess they wanted her and Luckyrou to do her own thing and ignore poor Nossan.

Souji had probably the most backstory revealed with his parents being separated and his struggles of his own style. I just thought about it now that it would have been interesting if he could incorporate his own sword style with Trinity Straizer. Also I love how people rag on Souji's "girlfriend" and just get flashbacks to Fourze with Meteor and his "girlfriend". With Souji, his growth peaks when Ian calls him by his name instead of "Boy". I really like the relationship between Souji and Ian.

Amy is mostly just there as she doesn't really have any growth as a character. I would like to see something with her and Luckyrou at the end of 48 since they have a connection.

Ucchii had a great rivalry with Dogold but as Luna and others would like to mention that he tends to disappear for episodes. I wouldn't mind he stayed dead and became a Spirit Ranger but I guess I'm sorta of fine with him being alive again at the end.

As for Daigo, I don't really like how he's the main focus of everything. Sure he's Red and the leader which should get the focus but his character is greatly flawed in a very bad way. He's basically a Mary Sue and it's so bad that it was even made fun of back in episodes 17-18. He ends up kicking Deboss's ass by himself after all his talk about being a Sentai is so important that none of his teammates didn't get to fight Deboss at the end. The final fight is supposed to a great fight with the entire team taking part in it in some way but not Kyouryuuger's case. Mary Sue Daigo gets to fight the final boss alone and defeats him by himself. Now Daigo dying would be great but his Mary Sue abilities won't allow him to die. I imagine when 100 Years Later comes out, Daigo will still be alive and still young a century later since he has Mary Sue abilities.

I really like Torin and the other Deboss members. I'm in the minority that I like there wasn't many MoTW and like the reuse of them. It makes them more memorable to me.

Even though Kyouryuuger is an enjoyable series to watch but I have bad feelings towards it due to Go-Busters. Compared to Go-Busters, it's a series that was safe because most Sentai fans were uncomfortable with the new take of Sentai and so it went in the other direction of Go-Busters. Also I don't like how Kyouryuuger VS Go-Busters was being done. I rather have no Kyou VS Go-Bus if they wanted to just to do an reunion of past dinosaur teams. One more thing, Go-Buster V-Cinema didn't get a Blu-Ray release but Kyou V-Cinema is getting one. Seriously Toei, why?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Kyouryuuger Series Discussion

Post by Catastrophe »

But to be fair, the whole change from Gobusters was two-fold. The main reason is TOYS. Go-busters sold like shit, and Kyoryuger toys sold really well.

This is my new favourite Sentai. I loved everything about it from start to finish, not having any high expectations going into it and being burnt out from Sentai. Even the filler type episodes where fun to watch, and it could get serious when it needed to.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I really do hate that toku is a toy driven thing but oh well.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

To be fair, following the great series of Gokaiger and Go-Busters, it is hard not to look down on Kyouryuuger. The biggest thing it had going for it was that it was fun action, but after a while that just can't hold it up on its own.

The overall story was good, and was tighter than those of most Sentai series.

I think my main issue with Kyouryuuger has two parts: The first is that it is very red-ranger centered. Now this on its own isn't a problem: you could say the same about many Sentai series. The problem is the second part, which is that KyouryuuRed Daigo was not very interesting and his character really didn't change over the course of the series. (I feel that his lesson from Tessai was never learned.) Daigo was fun, but that dies away or gets annoying after that's all you get for 48 episodes.

Nobuharu was different, which was good, but not my cup of tea: I prefer the smart Blue.

Souji was probably one of the better developed characters; Ian and Amy were not, and seemed ignored by the script. Though I do consider Ian one of my favourite Blacks now.

I liked Ucchi, though again he was a bit underused.

I actually really like Torin. He was similar to Doggie from Dekaranger, and I think I like Torin a little bit more - he seemed more active, both in action and towards the plot.

Of the villains, the only ones I really liked were Dogold and Luckyuro. Candelira and Aigallon seemed underused. Chaos was okay as the boss for most of the series. Deboss was a major disappointment, though I kind of expected that.

While they seemed to want us to view the ZyuDenRyuu as dinosaur buddies/companions, they didn't come off that way (certainly not like the talking dinos in Abaranger, and even not to the extent of the GaoBeasts), and instead seemed more like mindless robots with a hint of personality (similar to Zyuuranger).

I did like the samba henshin and the dance at the end of the show - it gave a way for the audience to get involved in the show.

Overall, this show was okay, but left me disappointed as it seems like it could have been a lot better with just a bit more emphasis on (all of) the characters. I consider it to be average (or a bit below) compared the other Sentai series I've seen - which is not a bad thing, since I haven't seen a Sentai show I didn't like. I'd rank it around the same as Boukenger or Shinkenger.

But it was well done for the most part, and I'm looking forward to future Sentai shows!

edit: Sorry if this review comes off overly negative; I'm just like that.
DarkRobin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by DarkRobin »

Catastrophe wrote:But to be fair, the whole change from Gobusters was two-fold. The main reason is TOYS. Go-busters sold like shit, and Kyoryuger toys sold really well.

This is my new favourite Sentai. I loved everything about it from start to finish, not having any high expectations going into it and being burnt out from Sentai. Even the filler type episodes where fun to watch, and it could get serious when it needed to.

I'm been wondering if this series has become anyone's new favorite sentai, thanks for helping with my curiosity :lol: .

After watching the finale, I still feel this series is more designed for kids than any other Super Sentai series and would probably serve best as anyone's first sentai experience. However, some of the more dramatic and complex development and details were introduced near the end of the series. Which is kind of both a strength and weakness as it made the last couple episodes intensive, but they made some drastic changed too quickly.

Amy and Daigo's blooming romance wasn't much of surprise, but if they had started it earlier, it might be a little less....rushed. Maybe they thought they had to go in this direction, it was probably to follow through Amy's earlier display of jealousy over Yayoi's affection for Daigo.

Zyudenryus' lack of combat involvement at the end was also a bit of disappointment. I'm glad my favorite Zyudenryu, Plezuon was the only that had really action, the others watched and rammed the Frozen Castle.

The revelation of the existence of Deboss's creator also makes the series a bit of unending, now we are left to wonder if it's meant for a follow up in the next VS movie, or the upcoming 100 years after movie.

At the end, the conclusiong of Kyouryuugers' rivalry with the Chevaliers were so great it ended with Kyouryuugers paying them respects in their own way, the only aspect of this series that made me feel it's beyond a children's show.

Deboss's defeat was expected, but weird, with his action in finale, he actually only had been in three fights since he was awakened, the first one he used Chaos's body, the second when he finished his evolution. In both fights he total beat down the Kyouryuugers. It's far from convincing that he just loses the third fight when he total dominated the first two.

If someone knows how the toy business of this sentai was please tell me, I'm just curious as I just heard the previous sentai(Go-busters) didn't sell its toys as well as Kyouryuugers. If that's the case, how can Kyouryuugers only got 48 episodes.

Also, most plots and storylines of this sentai seem awfully similar to Gaorangers, especially regarding to their sixth rangers, as many must have noticed, KyouryuGold's story is virtually identically to that of GaoSilver. Does anyone if these series share any connection other than both being Super Sentai?
shin_dan
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger

Post by shin_dan »

A great series enjoyed it after initially being unsure about.
It was refreshing to have so many members personally would have have liked an episode dedicated to each character and support rangers being involved in more episodes but hey you cant have everything
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's so not much on toy sales but rather TV-Asahi since they determine when the show can air and when they want to start the next series.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

There where several more syndications than normal this past year as well which would have had something to do with it. There was that week where SHT didn't run and they played the Taisen movie instead for the lead up to Gaim, along with the usual Golf and Athletic showings.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Phoenix512 wrote:Towards the end I began to realize that it's Macross if they made it into a Super Sentai. Music is an important part in both series and even to a certain extent it had a love triangle regardless how weak it really was in Kyouryuuger's case.
But, neither Candy('s human self) or Meeko were in the show long enough to matter as much as Minmay did. :<
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I really wasn't a fan of the series. I liked the overall theme, as well as the equipment. The music was brilliant! However, I just felt at times that it got too silly. Really, Ovirapoo never needed to exist.

Incidentally, are you guys gonna be subbing the DC of Braves 1-4?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Your answer about the DC:

viewtopic.php?f=204&t=14575
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

For me, this series was FUN. complete and absolute fun. it may have been safe at times, the characters could have been better developed, but at least there is such joy in each epsiode that i just can't dislike it.
For me, it is the anti-goseiger, in that while goseiger was an average show, it did a lot of things that just pissed me off and the character felt, at times, lifeless(except for the pink one...i just HATED her). Kyoryuuger, on the other hand, i felt it had some clever writing, creativity, and just so much energy and joy coming from the actors that i did not doubt for an instant that they were alive. IF GOkaiger showed us the sentai world from the perspective of outsiders, Kyoryuuger show us how insane the people who live in it truly are. Every time a character was doing something, i was looking forward to it. In fact, i kind of wish this series had started this year, because it was a great series to go alongside Gaim. The happy, optimistic one would made a good contrast for gaim's darker plot(which looks like is going to go even darker...). The jokes were funny, the cast felt alive and there was no moment where i was like "God, that was stupid!"
I just cannot do anything but enjoy a show that is not only this energetic and self-aware, but that despites knowing how silly it is, it fully embraces and loves it's own sillyness.
TankCoyote
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Joe
Favorite Actor?: Gai
Favorite Band: Yes
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: my GF
Quote: GOKAICHANGE! GoooookaiSiiiilver!

Post by TankCoyote »

hope the Power Rangers version keeps the old man/Dad Jokes and the older Violet throwing out his back

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”