Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gaim & Wizard: The Fateful Sengoku Movie Great War released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... _Great_War

Sad that Mayu, Kizaki, and the others show up at the beginning and are instantly removed from the rest of the movie.

The Wizard story does a decent job at wrapping up Haruto's arc. In fact, maybe some of this stuff where we see him caring about Koyomi would have been better if it were in the damn TV series. It's done so well here that I can't help but think it's a response to people complaining about how bad it is in the main storyline.

Ogre is inconsistent as a villain. He doesn't attack the three Mages' Phantoms. Plus, why does he need more power? He basically can restore life or at least create a facsimile of it.

But Haruto cares about Koyomi, good enough.

The main bulk of the story, the mishmash Sengoku Great War is pretty good. I mean, it's so complicated that it is a bit messy, but I still really enjoyed it.

You know me, I love second Riders. And we get a bunch of them as cameos. We see Akira, Nago, Kengo, and Ryuu and Akiko.

To me, the guy who played Ieyasu looked a lot like Haruto, which seemed fitting. But man, I kept staring at him and wondering how white the guy looked.

Sometimes the best villain is a guy who's just like your own dude, but better. And blood orange Gaim was perfect in that sense. No dumb backstory, he's just a powerful guy that needs to be taken down. I had to laugh when he revealed his Final Fantasyesque final form though. Of course he becomes joined with the tree.

Was there no one in the recording studio to tell the Lock Seed voice guy that OOO is not pronounced Oars?

There's a bunch of other stuff I can comment on, but that can be saved for later. I really wish the battle orgy scenes were cut in half or a third or something though. Just get to the good stuff already.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Gaim & Wizard: The Fateful Sengoku Movie Great War relea

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's nice to be able to properly hear the Driver voices compared to the last month or so of recent Gaim episodes.

I really wish Toei would stop going to the memory lane route with these movies. I know everyone loves seeing the past Riders but doing it over and over year after year really wears you down. I would like to see these crossover movies to be more like the Sentai VS series but I doubt we are going to get that.

I would like the finale of the previous Rider be more like an actual movie than the 30 or so minutes we get now. I feel having more time would flesh it out more instead being all condensed.

So I can't really get into the movie because of these issues.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Toei, if you wanted foreign kids to speak English and look foreign, maybe hire a foreign kid and not just slap a bad wig on a Japanese kid and make him speak heavily accented English?

Like takenoko said, the Koyomi/Haruto relationship was actually really done well here. It was very fleshed out and I could almost believe it if not for the fact that they had almost zero interaction in the series itself. Koyomi is Haruto's hope? The donut is more probable as Haruto's hope than she is. This was particularly noticeable in the flashback scenes where you see all the times they were together...whiiiich amounted to mostly expository dialogue and the one "date" they had in the first ten episodes. The Wizard part of the movie is decent, but it just serves to highlight how poorly handled the actual series was. And yeah, that Phantom wanted Dragon why? He already seemed pretty powerful to me.

I thought Haruto was searching the world to find a way to revive Koyomi with the ring? Not a place to throw it away? I probably just didn't pay attention to the final episode. At least Nitou finally found a solution for Khimaira.

One of the things I actually really liked about this was the psuedo-Modern Sengoku era. It was just cooky enough to work and the mishmash of modern and ancient fashions were actually pretty cool. Ieyasu was hella white though. The actor is half British but man, you could plow a field with that nose.

NAGO-SANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote:Toei, if you wanted foreign kids to speak English and look foreign, maybe hire a foreign kid and not just slap a bad wig on a Japanese kid and make him speak heavily accented English?
Because $$$MONEY$$$

>He already seemed pretty powerful to me.

Because EVIL
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Great movie. All the parts of the movies were great and I actually enjoyed it. I tried so hard to enjoy Gaim's part but with Micchy turning psychopath in the show I was pissed off everytime I saw him. The actor is doing a great job of making us hate the character. It makes me wonder how the next Movie War is going to end up.
Flying-gg
Adventure
Favorite series: Garo, Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim, Blade
Dreamy: Kaoru
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Flying-gg »

The wizard part was good, I would have loved seeing Nitou hunting and capturing Chimaira (Pokemon style ! :p) but I understand we can't show everything in one movie. As for the movie as a whole I'm getting a little bit tired of the same parallel world thing.
kyoichikiller90
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

Thing is... Who is the human of Bujin Gaim?
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

kyoichikiller90 wrote:Thing is... Who is the human of Bujin Gaim?
It was never shown.
Galada
Go Go!

Post by Galada »

Well, another bad crossover Rider movie. It's amazing how they contradict Gaim's notions so much (like Micchi being a idiotic sidekick here while in the series he's such a cunning bastard). But again, nothing surprising here. Except by... Are they (pretendindo to be) in Brazil at the start of movie? There's signs in portuguese, but... there's guys talking in english... Tourists? I don't know anything anymore.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Galada wrote:Well, another bad crossover Rider movie. It's amazing how they contradict Gaim's notions so much (like Micchi being a idiotic sidekick here while in the series he's such a cunning bastard). But again, nothing surprising here. Except by... Are they (pretendindo to be) in Brazil at the start of movie? There's signs in portuguese, but... there's guys talking in english... Tourists? I don't know anything anymore.
How is this movie bad o.o and I see you put the word "another" meaning that Movie War MEGAMAX was bad? I would have to say that was great crossover movie.
Galada
Go Go!

Post by Galada »

OOOKaiser wrote:
Galada wrote:Well, another bad crossover Rider movie. It's amazing how they contradict Gaim's notions so much (like Micchi being a idiotic sidekick here while in the series he's such a cunning bastard). But again, nothing surprising here. Except by... Are they (pretendindo to be) in Brazil at the start of movie? There's signs in portuguese, but... there's guys talking in english... Tourists? I don't know anything anymore.
How is this movie bad o.o and I see you put the word "another" meaning that Movie War MEGAMAX was bad? I would have to say that was great crossover movie.
Being bad, I guess. The action is okay, I think, but the story is just too boring and to get me enganged to it. There's a few funny moments here and there, but that's it. I guess that what bothers me the most is how the movie is incosistent with Gaim's series, specially on the character department, but again, I have to put it in my mind that this is not canon.

I barely have memories of MEGAMAX, which's probably a sign that I didn't enjoyed it either. I think tokusatsu crossover movies in general are just too similar to each other to get my attention. I guess the only rider movie I've ever liked is that Fourze one when they fight the Tetsujin. The action is very fast-paced, the story is cool and fits perfectly with the theme of the series and the Wizard cameo is not too invasive or distracting.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Not a bad movie. I was mostly glad to see Haruto again. I'm glad his story wrapped up pretty nicely. Still my favorite Rider. His fights are just good to me.
Wizard's part is canon but what about Gaim's? Seems that the Gaim characters were from a different dimension than the one's from the TV series.
Neurologic
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
My boom: Gaim
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Neurologic »

They probably seem different because this movie takes the characters personalities from how they were over 20 episodes ago
Some logic can only be found in the brain
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Best part for me is Takatora starting Fourzes catch phrase before realising he is above it all.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Galada wrote:
Revorse wrote:I guess that what bothers me the most is how the movie is incosistent with Gaim's series, specially on the character department,
Seems that the Gaim characters were from a different dimension than the one's from the TV series.
Yeah, try to remember that this movie came out very early in the show's run (TvN wiki says the day before episode 10 aired in Japan) so things are gonna seem very odd in that regard.

Myself? Once the film got past Wizard, I thought it greatly improved and I'd watch it again; definitely.
Though I will say I am worried for Nitou... why did he think that was a good idea, taking the fruit?!?

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”