Anyone Else Disappointed With "Makai No Hana"...?

Golden Knight
Dreamy: Rian
Quote: Long live GARO

Anyone Else Disappointed With "Makai No Hana"...?

Post by Golden Knight »

I will say this latest season (Makai No Hana) has had its few memerable episodes, but overall the season has been quite disappointing so far.

Anyone else disappointed with Makai No Hana?

This show desperately needs Kouga back :/
Last edited by Golden Knight on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Dragonball
Favorite Band: Metallica
My boom: Garo

Re: Anyone Else Disappointed With "Makai No Hana"...?

Post by Zaruba »

I'm disappointed. At first the show looked like it was heading in a good direction. Love a few of the first episodes but the last 4-5 episodes have really gone nowhere for me. It's like they are biding time to fill in until they finally close in on something substantial. It's not really just the writing but the characters and acting have been bad too. When they do fight they are good sequences but the overall feel that hooked me in the first two seasons is lacking in this one. And it's mainly due to the lackluster filler episodes and lack of kouga, zero, and kaoru. Those three were too good to replace and it shows.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Are we seriously going to have this discussion again with every Garo show now at the midway point? Let's not talk about this until the very end.
Golden Knight

Post by Golden Knight »

Judging by the season so far, yes I'm going to say its disappointing. Half way through or not its still gone too far to really redeem its self. Being a GARO fan since the very beginning, Makai No Hana is easily without a doubt the most disappointing season among GARO.

This is a discussion chat board for a reason is it not? :/
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Phoenix has a point, you don't judge a book when you're halfway through it, don't judge a series until it's finished.

Also I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you because Yami wo Terasu Mono was a complete and utter betrayal of everything that they set up throughout the first two seasons of Garo and it did not deserve to be called part of the series.
Golden Knight

Post by Golden Knight »

That's why Yami wo Terasu Mono was a stand alone season with a unkown era in the GARO universe. At least that season was entertaining and knew what it was doing. Just saying.

Who knows maybe my opinion will change once Makai No Hana finishes, but so far I'm not too pleased with it. That's just my opinion.

Trust me, me being the huge loyal GARO fan that I am, I truly hope the series gets its act together.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

In my opinion its only on its 14th episode so its still too early to judge. I felt Yami wo Terasu Mono was better near the end of the series. Makai Senki was decent and it was okay. The first season was terrific of course. I still don't know yet about Makai no Hana so I can't say anything yet.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It definitely has slowed down, but what season hasn't? Aren't we all forgetting that the original was pretty much just MOTW right up until the last few episodes?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Hopefully the latter half is better. That's when the stories tend to pick up for Garo.

I like the characters and the world and all, but the story isn't quite there.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I'm flattered that people want me back in the show.

With the first season, I wasn't always impressed. But I learned to love it, and I've learned to like all the iterations of the show thus far.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

takenoko wrote:Hopefully the latter half is better. That's when the stories tend to pick up for Garo.
Yeah the latter half of the show is the best part. I'm pretty sure that's the pattern for all the Garo series and I'm sure that everyone was thinking it was crap in the beginning and in the end they'll be saying "Oh it was really good!" =.=
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

I'm starting to think that some people can't follow Garo shows weekly XD. It's like everyone expects that the plot advances in every episode, when that is not the estructure of this show.

I'm quite enjoying this season, some episodes are very creative (like the horror parody or the horror "girl") and I like the characters a lot.

Let see how the plot advances in the second half.
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Dragonball
Favorite Band: Metallica
My boom: Garo

Post by Zaruba »

Sure some of the previous seasons plot unwinded slow but what I think Golden Knight is getting at is that Keita and the cast did a better job filling in good episodes up until that point in the other seasons. This season not only has the plot virtually moved like molasses but the filler episodes have been downright boring (Not all of them though) I really liked a few of them. The characters are not even interesting. There's no love relationship building, and no drama. I can't expect the actor of Raiga, Crow, and Mayuri to live up to previous cast members but they can at least give them more personality and better acting.

I loved the way season one and two unravelled even if it was slow at times. Even the slow episodes had drama, good fighting, and character development. I think the thing is in those two seasons we had many more flashbacks, struggles, and character development. In this season they are steering away from that for the most part. We barely see any of Raiga's past training. Have no idea where Crow came from, and we have no idea of Mayuri's past to much either. It's just been lackluster and seemingly lazy and or cautious in it's writing and episodes week to week. Almost as if they don't want to give anything away to the viewer that might ruin the mystery or twist that is inevitably coming in the second half.

So I totally see where Golden Knight is coming from. I just hope second half is better.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

I think the main problem was that Garo season 2's setup was very good, that it set a precedent and everyone is now expecting Makai no Hana to at least equal or top that. Otherwise, the pacing here feels more like original season 1 Garo, though I also agree many of the MOTW and filler episodes feel quite lacklustre.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Huh, that's funny since I feel like 2 had the same pacing problems. As much as I love them, that's sort of the way all the Garo series have gone. It's just easier to look back and enjoy the first season because we're so familiar with the characters.

I'm sure this season will be good too if people give it a chance.

Return to “-Makai no Hana-”