Dragon Knight in America

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
Kamen Rider Aranu
Mega
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Kizoku Kodomo[Aranu]
Favorite Actor?: Matt Smith
Favorite Band: Alice Cooper
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Super Sentai
Quote: "Henshin."

Dragon Knight in America

Post by Kamen Rider Aranu »

So, Dragon Knight will be airing in March of 2008.

Now, I havn't watched Ryuki yet, but it's next on my to do list. But that's not the point.

What do you fans of Ryuki think Dragon Knight will bring? Will it be another "Masked Rider fau pax" Or will it do some justice to Kamen Rider?

[[If you havn't seen the preview, check it out]]

Latest Trailer
Last edited by Kamen Rider Aranu on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I managed to get an exclusive on the original idea, and it actually looks pretty awesome. But this was before they changed actors for the Ryuki American counter part. Hopefully the new guy will be as good or better (if that's possible).

Edit: Since this is an Americanized show, I've moved this to off topic for the time being.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... Amazingly (aside from the inability to say Kamen Rider without sounding lame XP ) that preview DIDN'T suck... hell might even be watchable.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Bauffie
Save the life
Dreamy: Nakatsu Shuichi
Favorite Actor?: Matsuyama Kenichi
Favorite Band: Gazette
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Hayami's trendy hat

Re: Dragon Knight in America

Post by Bauffie »

Kamen Rider Aranu wrote:"Masked Rider fau pax"
I believe the expression is 'faux pas'.

I never watched Ryuki so I have no opinions about it yet. I'm ready to give it a try even though so many are so against it. I guess it's normal that some people fear that this series will ruin the rep of Kamen Riders since it has been done before. Though a few people just go overboard with the hating. I remember reading a comment complaining about the way the actors pronounce 'Kamen Rider' because it sounded like 'kamin rider' or other variants. Gosh, I'm amazed at how some people would do anything to bash and to swear like mad man. I find that to be so irrational and annoying. -_-

(like some One Piece fans wanted the word 'nakama' untranslated in the English dub. That's outside the point, but still stupid)
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

That's because Matt's character in Kamen Rider Dragon Knight says it like the word "common". But I agree with the overly stupid bashing.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Re: Dragon Knight in America

Post by Kogashi »

Bauffie wrote: I remember reading a comment complaining about the way the actors pronounce 'Kamen Rider' because it sounded like 'kamin rider' or other variants.
*everyone starts staring at him* ... Hey don't look at me, I think it's just kind of funny. Not like I can think of anyone who can say it better without saying it in a Japanese accent ^^;
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
guile_bio
Crossing a Millennium
Favorite Band: Weezer
Alignment: Neutral

Post by guile_bio »

I love it when he kicks and knocks out those two goons. ^_^
space pirate balban
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by space pirate balban »

I agree that having the word nakama in the one piece dub is stupid(not that I really care since I hate dubs and would never watch it anyway), but I'm sure it won't be in the subs either that funimation does. I guess its to be expected, but I am really used to it from the K-F subs, and I agreed with their reasoning as to why they left it in. Ah well, back to the point of the topic.

I'm not going to make a judgement until it airs. Just like to point out a few things though. First off, I could be wrong, but I think I heard that since the orginal promo was released, aside from the main actor being replaced, they also retooled it so the target audience range is closer to power rangers. Can't help but be worryed about that, since one nice thing about kamen rider is they could actually kill off characters and the storylines could be a bit darker. Also, while I agree thats it not a big deal, leaving the title as kamen rider rather than masked rider is a bit dumb. The whole reasoning behind it seems to be to not confuse it with saban's abomination, but really, does anyone outside the hardcore PR audience even remeber that show? Also, it says masked rider below almost all of the new gen show titles, so that seems to be a pretty direct translation. And I just think it sounds kinda of weird when you have a bunch of english-speaking people running around saying kamen rider. On the other hand, I guess it might be better safe than sorry. Makes me wish even more that saban's show had never happened.

Anyway, I'll watch it and give it a fair shot, but I'd be lieing if I said I give a crap if the show succends and becomes a franchise or not.
Algo Fonix
Crossing a Millennium
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Dreamy: Give me a minute
Favorite Band: Haken
Quote: You should be, 'cause I'm havin the time of my liiiiiife right now!

Post by Algo Fonix »

I'm rooting for this show to make it. Like it or not, a success with this could raise awareness to the fact that there is more to toku than just Power Rangers. I know there are purists who think that Kamen Rider shouldn't be 'tainted' or 'raped' by us Westerners... but the fact is I am all for any release of toku in America. Be it a dub, sub, or adaptation.

I lol@ the 'Common Rider' complaint. There's really no way to say Kamen Rider with an English accent and it not sound like that... but I digress.
ShinmeiSuzaku
Robo's Birthday

Post by ShinmeiSuzaku »

More Toku in the US than Power Rangers there is. I still know a lot of people who Recall Big Bad Beetleborgs (When they see Kamen Rider that's normally their first thought). The only One I give them Credit for is The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog which wasnt an adaptation of another show.
But I'm not particularly looking forwards to this. The the Preview I saw a long time ago, it looked like their Transformations didnt happen in Real Type and instead went into a tranformation phase. That was a small turn off right there.
The storyline about the main character's dad being kidnapped...kinda reminded me of the original plot of VR Troopers, so I'm not having any of that.
Then the other Kamen Rider's being called "Dark Kamen Riders" and as such are automatically seen as bad guys not guys fighting for their own reasons, that's another dislike.
Now I admit, only thing of Ryuki I've seen is the T-N subs, so I dont know that much about it.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

I hate that they changed the original storyline for Ryuki. However, I will give it a chance, simply because I'm willing to give anything reasonable a chance.

Besides, if this pans out and they do the rest of KR, I get a second chance at all the toys! Even though I already paid $130 for the Hopper Zecter from toysnjoys, but I needed it for a cosplay.
ImageImage
ShinmeiSuzaku
Robo's Birthday

Post by ShinmeiSuzaku »

KickHopper wrote:Besides, if this pans out and they do the rest of KR, I get a second chance at all the toys! Even though I already paid $130 for the Hopper Zecter from toysnjoys, but I needed it for a cosplay.
One flaw <.< The belts will lack the Phrase we all know and love..."HENSHIN!"
'cause from what I saw in Dragon Knight he says something like "Kamen Rider Wing Knight, Initiate!"
KickHopper
Kamen Knight

Post by KickHopper »

ShinmeiSuzaku wrote:
KickHopper wrote:Besides, if this pans out and they do the rest of KR, I get a second chance at all the toys! Even though I already paid $130 for the Hopper Zecter from toysnjoys, but I needed it for a cosplay.
One flaw <.< The belts will lack the Phrase we all know and love..."HENSHIN!"
'cause from what I saw in Dragon Knight he says something like "Kamen Rider Wing Knight, Initiate!"
But belts don't say Henshin in Ryuki anyway. They just go "pshuuwuuwuu!"
Faiz was "Standing by... Complete"
And then in Blade they say "Turn Up," "Open Up," or "Change."
Oh no, not...
KABUTO!
F@#K!
ImageImage
ShinmeiSuzaku
Robo's Birthday

Post by ShinmeiSuzaku »

KickHopper wrote:But belts don't say Henshin in Ryuki anyway. They just go "pshuuwuuwuu!"
Faiz was "Standing by... Complete"
And then in Blade they say "Turn Up," "Open Up," or "Change."
Oh no, not...
KABUTO!
F@#K!
That's basically what I meant...if this becomes a success and they continue the Kamen Rider timeline, we'd lack the "Henshin" of the Rider Belts.
I'm just hoping if they do that..they dont 'Ranger up' the Riders with one centralized enemy the whole time with failing plans...I like not knowing who the real enemy is until the end.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight

Post by KickHopper »

Yeah I hope this "General Xaviax" is a farce...

There's still hope with Henshin though. They're using "Kamen", maybe they'll use "Henshin" when Kabuto comes around for the sake of not spending money on reprogramming toys.
ImageImage

Return to “Americanized stuff”