Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gaim 47 released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Gaim_47

Okay, this isn't written by Urobuchi and it's a bit non-canonny, but it's a pretty decent episode.

Akira and Takatora having a chat about what it's like to be siblings, that's great. Plus they both used to work at Yggdrasill so it'd make sense that they'd have a lot of commonality.

I really like the natural conclusion to Jounouchi and Micchi's arcs. Jounouchi learning Hase's ultimate fate and becoming Kurokage. And Micchi making amends with Kouta (although I wish Kouta hadn't come back to save him, or that he had only came back in spirit/encouragement)

Kouta recreated Kaito as the mana tree? Can the mana tree even be a dude? But I did like the conversation between Mai and Kaito in the end.

See you all again at Earth 2. Or, the day the destroyer of worlds visited my baby world to run amuck.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: KR Gaim 47 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

How is it non-canon? You got the movie monsters from the alternate world but we don't really know how they manage to break through to the real world.

Kaito can be a tree. *Points to the Deku Tree*

I'm hoping for in GaimXDrive that Akira and Takatora get married.

Poor Jounouchi, he gets a few blows in and suddenly remembers that he's Jounouchi.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Log of the staff viewing party for the finale:

Spoiler
[09:04] <Phoenix512> starting countdown
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 10
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 9
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 8
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 7
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 6
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 5
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 4
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 3
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 2
[09:04] <Phoenix512> 1
[09:04] <Phoenix512> start
[09:05] <PHurricane> that had to be one of the most complicated henshin poses
[09:05] <Slowking> micchi's old haircut
[09:06] <Phoenix512> I wonder if they took unused scenes in the beginning and just put them there
[09:06] <Slowking> 7 months...
[09:06] <PHurricane> I don't think so, but it would have been interesting
[09:06] <Slowking> this really has to be the worst possible punishment for micchi
[09:07] <PHurricane> have they really not learned a new dance in over a year?
[09:08] <Phoenix512> it's been awhile since they actually danced
[09:08] <Phoenix512> we aren't almost brother killers
[09:09] <PHurricane> commiserating over their troublesome brothers...nice
[09:09] <Slowking> in which show was that girl again
[09:09] <PHurricane> PGSM
[09:09] <Slowking> ah
[09:09] <Phoenix512> Sailor Mercury
[09:09] <PHurricane> lol
[09:10] <Phoenix512> it would be awesome if Takatora and Akira got married and just imagine the weirdness when Kouta finds out
[09:10] <Phoenix512> especially when Micchi calls him Niisan
[09:10] <Slowking> says LS-DARK
[09:10] <DevGryphon> that would be weird
[09:10] <Slowking> yeah
[09:10] <PHurricane> and...summer movie tie-in
[09:10] <Phoenix512> yes it's LS-Dark
[09:11] <Phoenix512> and now I have to be a woman to use this power
[09:11] <DevGryphon> that makes what 2 summer tie-ins
[09:11] <PHurricane> and a kamen rider taisen tie-in and kikaider tie-in
[09:11] <DevGryphon> so 4 tie-ins...wow
[09:12] <PHurricane> this is a nice round-up of the surviving riders
[09:12] <Slowking> oh man i really like how they fight together
[09:12] <Phoenix512> it makes sense now that Gen didn't write this episode
[09:12] <Slowking> yeah
[09:12] <Slowking> too bad they can't henshin though!
[09:12] <Slowking> guess who is left?!
[09:12] <Phoenix512> he probably he added the parts where it didn't involve the movie stuff
[09:13] <PHurricane> that makes a surprising amount of sense
[09:13] <Phoenix512> I wonder what happened with the last Genesis Driver
[09:13] <Slowking> Uncle Kouta can send you some LS
[09:13] <DevGryphon> didnt it get destroyed?
[09:14] <PHurricane> I think so
[09:14] <PHurricane> It was Yoko's from Ryouma, right?
[09:14] <Phoenix512> yeah
[09:14] <PHurricane> Ouch
[09:14] <Slowking> dont remember it on her when she fell down
[09:15] <DevGryphon> she henshined right before the bomb blew
[09:16] <PHurricane> presumably it was damaged in the explosion since she wasn't in the armor when Kaito got to her
[09:16] <Phoenix512> now for a Rider that hasn't been around so a long time
[09:17] <PHurricane> isn't he a recolor as well?
[09:17] <Phoenix512> and now he remembers that he's Guridon not Gaim
[09:17] <PHurricane> wait, the inves is using his weapon against him?
[09:17] <PHurricane> and he lost
[09:17] <Slowking> wait
[09:18] <Phoenix512> it's from the mass produced Kurokage
[09:18] <Slowking> is the driver gone too?
[09:18] <PHurricane> hm...I don't think so
[09:19] <DevGryphon> either the driver or the lock got broken
[09:19] <DevGryphon> there's 3 pieces there
[09:19] <PHurricane> one last kiwami CM for the road
[09:19] <Slowking> i really wonder how they will get them all new drivers and lock seeds for future movies
[09:19] <Slowking> they have to give some kind of explanation, at least for drivexgaim
[09:20] <PHurricane> Gaim had so many AUs that it visited
[09:20] <PHurricane> Probably just pull from one of those
[09:20] <Slowking> heh
[09:20] <PHurricane> and there goes the gun
[09:20] <Phoenix512> I went back to episode 45 and found no Genesis Drive on Youko
[09:21] <Phoenix512> it's not nearby or anything like that
[09:21] <Slowking> wow that double slap on the monster's head
[09:21] <Slowking> nice one micchi
[09:21] <DevGryphon> it got blown up
[09:21] <PHurricane> nice
[09:21] <PHurricane> of course...
[09:22] <Slowking> hey that's micchi's evil laugh!
[09:22] <Slowking> don't copy it!
[09:22] <PHurricane> trust us, he's no stranger to suffering
[09:22] <Phoenix512> if Micchi was still evil, he would of kill her
[09:23] <Phoenix512> Golden Apple Implosion
[09:23] <PHurricane> He travels by glowing golden apple?
[09:24] <PHurricane> aw, one last "hai, Kouta-san"
[09:24] <DevGryphon> it would've been nice if they used Micchi's character song during his fight
[09:24] <Slowking> obedient micchi~
[09:24] <Slowking> so Kouta just says "Henshin" and transforms
[09:25] <PHurricane> op theme
[09:25] <PHurricane> must be the final fight
[09:25] <Slowking> oh man great
[09:25] <Phoenix512> at least TV-Aishi got a new 6:30 am anime instead of the sumo wrestler one
[09:26] <Slowking> look at how micchi is using gaim's orange sword
[09:26] <Slowking> symbolises the trust between them
[09:26] <Slowking> that was what exchanging weapons in the past meant
[09:26] <PHurricane> wait, if Kouta can do that, why are they still fighting?
[09:27] <Phoenix512> weird, I wonder what happened with the border on the Soiya
[09:27] <DevGryphon> micchi was pretty good with that sword
[09:27] <Phoenix512> it's supposed to be all colorful
[09:28] <PHurricane> Does Kouta know their siblings have been hanging out?
[09:28] <Phoenix512> probably not
[09:28] <Phoenix512> being God in a new world is a full time job
[09:28] <DevGryphon> wouldnt surprise me if he did though
[09:30] <Phoenix512> I think Mai's actress should have her hair like at all times
[09:31] <Slowking> bye bye Gaim
[09:31] <Phoenix512> that's right
[09:31] <Phoenix512> Drive the Kamen Rider!
[09:31] <Slowking> your start may have been slow, and I still don't really dig the designs, but the story was excellent, as well as the characters
[09:32] <Slowking> the rider with the Drive Driver!
[09:32] <PHurricane> I'm a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed Gaim
[09:32] <PHurricane> and it ended strong with a surpisingly positive message
[09:32] <Slowking> and parents, buy your kids the drive toys a week already before it airs!
[09:32] <Phoenix512> I did see somewhere that Drive is based on Knight Rider
[09:32] <Slowking> i liked how it ended with a positive message
[09:33] <Slowking> and while i don't like people's belts being destroyed
[09:33] <Phoenix512> actually it's one day before the show airs
[09:33] <Slowking> at least most of them are still alive
[09:33] <Slowking> ah yeah you are right
[09:33] <DevGryphon> i thought the premise was weird at first but it turned out pretty good
[09:33] <PHurricane> I expected a much higher body count
[09:33] <Slowking> they usually go up shelves on the saturday before the show airs
[09:34] <Slowking> i guess each one of them pays some kind of price for their actions
[09:34] <Phoenix512> get your expensive but cheap ass DX toys
[09:34] <Phoenix512> I imagine for GaimXDrive that the giant tree becomes Kaito
[09:34] <Slowking> didn't kouta get one of the worse fates though?
[09:34] <Slowking> if you think about it
[09:34] <Slowking> he just isolated himself from the earth
[09:35] <PHurricane> true, but he did choose it
[09:35] <PHurricane> Mai didn't even get that
[09:36] <DevGryphon> true
[09:38] <DevGryphon> alright im going back to bed
[09:38] <PHurricane> Bye all
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

That was such a satisfying end to a series that I truly enjoyed watching every week. There are certain elements and themes that appear over and over to tie each Kamen Rider series together and unify them into a single franchise, but I think the last few years became a bit too predictable in plot and story structure. Gaim didn’t abandon the hallmarks that make a series fit in with other series, but it told the story in a way that felt fresh.

If last episode was the climax of the clash between Kouta and Kaito’s belief systems, this was the culmination of Micchi’s path. As we saw in the flashback (which I am so relieved was a flashback and not a reset or parallel universe), Micchi always struggled with understanding why you would fight for strangers or people that didn’t express gratitude for you sticking your neck out for them. He finally finds a reason during this episode, and gets a helping hand from the friend that refused to give up on him.

I’m still not sure whether I agree that Micchi deserved redemption. Granted, there were extenuating circumstances. I’m pretty sure he was supposed to be 16/17 years old. Even in the American legal system, a prosecutor has the authority to decide if someone that age should be tried as an adult (harsher penalties; usually focused on punishment) or a child (showing leniency; usually allowing for rehabilitation). Not only were our Riders young, but they were manipulated into becoming the front line of a war without any training or understanding of the stakes if they failed. Adding all those factors together, plus the fact that Micchi did clearly have a mental breakdown for an extended period, I can see why the writers decided that he deserved an opportunity for redemption. Knowing that was their decision, I’m happy with where Micchi ends the series.

Before this turns into a novel, let me hit the highlights:
-Zack/Peko/Rat/Chucky/Non-Rider Dancers - Good to see them all survive, happy, and healthy. The dancer in me wishes the choreographers had bothered to give them more than one dance the entire season.
-Jounouchi. I’m so glad that he got confirmation that Hase died. It was still painful to see him process the news, but it gave him the chance to move on from the loss and try to build from it. His fight scene was pretty impressive, until he lost his weapon. I was surprised to hear him call himself “the strategist”. I vaguely recall him scheming in the early episodes, but I don’t think any of those plans worked.
-Takatora. SO happy he’s alive, although that probably has to do more with the actor and the effect the character has on Micchi than what he brings to the table by himself. His meeting with Kouta’s sister was cute. I like the idea of them continuing to meet to reminisce about their brothers.
-Oren. I guess he finally got to chat with Takatora? It was nice to see him, along with the other surviving Riders, try to defend the city even without their powers.
-Ghost Kaito. He has such a pretty smile. He didn’t really do much this episode, other than admit that Mai was strong, but I like the idea that he might be guarding the tree and, by extension, Zawame.
-Kouta and Mai. Looks like they were busy on their new planet. I was okay with Kouta’s decision to take his portion of Helheim to a new planet rather than wreck Earth, and I’m glad that they didn’t try and undo that in this episode. His entrance, appearing in a golden apple-shaped energy bubble, reminded me of the way Glinda travels by bubble and made me laugh.
-Final Fight. I know I’ve said this before, but I am a sucker for good music cues. As soon as I heard the opening notes to Just Live More, I knew I was going to like that final fight. I loved how it really felt like we came full circle - Kouta and Micchi working together with ease, the weapon exchange, Micchi’s old “Hai, Kouta-san!”, and even a double Rider Kick to finish things off. I rolled my eyes a bit when Kouta stopped the one attack with a flick of his hand - I get the feeling he could have defeated the enemy whenever he wanted, but he knew that Micchi needed to experience that final fight. A great fight to cap off a great series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think Micchi's redemption make sense. I think a lot of the dancers weren't aware of Micchi's role in the takeover. And it seems like a lot of people believe he was ultimately manipulated by the Overlords. Considering they were such good friends before, it sort of makes sense that they'd be willing to forgive and forget seven months later. That's sort of an important step towards healing from a war, after all. (Although it makes sense that Peko still has his doubts.)

>I was surprised to hear him call himself “the strategist”. I vaguely recall him scheming in the early episodes, but I don’t think any of those plans worked.

That was his reoccurring thing. He always bragged to Hase about what a strategist he is. And in a recent episode I think he said something along the lines of "From one strategist to another..."
DevGryphon
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: SKYRIM!!
Quote: Define normal...
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by DevGryphon »

>That was his reoccurring thing. He always bragged to Hase about what a strategist he is. And in a recent episode I think he said something along the lines of "From one strategist to another..."

I believe the episode that you're talking about is 32. Specifically the scene where Kaito organizes the other Riders in the fight against Demushu.

Anyway, my thoughts on the episode...

It was pretty good. Like I said in chat, I wished that they had used Micchi's character song during his solo fight. But I appreciated the use of Just Live More during the final fight, which was awesome, especially how well Kouta and Micchi fought together after fighting against each other for so long . I was kinda confused about the scene with the tree and the kids, then I realized that the girl was the one that Kougane possessed. And I think that they are doing the Team Baron dance during the dance scene, it doesn't look like the usual Team Gaim dance. But it was nice to see everyone dancing together.

Now let's move on to Drive...
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, may you cheat death; if you steal, may you steal a woman's heart; if you fight, may you fight for a brother; if you drink, may you drink with me.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Overall, the episode did a nice job of wrapping things up without straying from the tone of the show.

Despite how everything was resolved, Kaito can't seem to let go of his cynicism.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Despite how everything was resolved, Kaito can't seem to let go of his cynicism.

Well to be fair, none of the problems with modern society have been fixed. Kouta and Mai may be creating a utopia, but this world's still got the same issues as before.
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

Come to think of it, I now feel sad that Gaim is over. But thank you for the intriguing twists over the past year.
silver arrow
Gao
Favorite series: Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: All of them :3
Favorite Band: The Black Mages
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: One Piece

Post by silver arrow »

Who? Oh, from this Summer's movie. Episodes like this really lose their impact when you can't see the movie. :(
Henshin a go go baby!
-Joe
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Nice wrap-up really. Great they hit some small points. Happy that the Oren finally got to meet the Melon Prince. And speaking of Takatora I totally ship him with Sailor Mercury. (No I never learned her name this whole series MERCURY DAMMIT.) Didn't really want Micchi to luck out and get a redemption but since they un-killed Takatora he didn't in my mind cross the moral event horizon so I guess it works. Dude needs therapy though, seriously.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

And thus, on the 7th day (month), God and his wife, who are also Adam and Eve I guess... Slept? Only, not, really they just kinda, left for a bit cause they forgot to clean out their old homes and needed the damage deposit back?

So long Gaim, this has been a truly, Urobachi year. and now, I go completely Toku clean till the next sentai starts... and likely will grab the KR Drive batches <<;
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Wonderful ending. I enjoyed Gaim from the very first episode to the very last. This was also the Rider series to make me register here and become an official member instead of just a lurker. I thank the team for all the hard work. Gaim will certainly be miss.

That said, time to Drive.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

the great thing about this episode is that, while the show could've ended with the episode right before, thus making this essentially unnecessary, it was still a decent enough episode that it doesn't leave a sour note for the end of the series.

I'm really sad to see this show go, but my wallet breathed a massive sigh of relief that it now mostly only has to support me buying AC figures that are already out (I pray they don't just suddenly become unavailable now that the show's over), rather than try to keep up with new stuff every month. I feel like I might enjoy drive, but I'm in no rush to buy the merch like I was with Gaim.
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: UM SNAKE DAD
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
My boom: Making music videos!
Quote: We're the Heroes of Our Time

Post by Gottis »

Thank you TVNihon for this year! Thank you Gaim for this year! And thank you for Mitsuzane who's a character I never thought I'd love and be fascinated by this much. Now... All Hail Fruit Jesus! It's been an intense year, I'm glad things will probably settle down a bit for me with Drive. Not expecting to be as blown away and obsessed by that one, but who knows? Now I need to marathon Gaim from start to finish :D
Finished: All Heisei
Watching: Zi-O

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”