Toqger 47 departing now

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Toqger 47 departing now

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote:or because everyone but Zett got a happy ending.
I dunno. He does have Glitter. I'm surprised he didn't die at the end. Or that there wasn't some message of balance between dark and light being necessary (as played out as that kind of thing tends to be.) Soooo... nice try Zett, enjoy going home with your consolation prize?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

takenoko wrote:Maybe she got in trouble for that and the Toei execs had her tied down more than usual for this series.
I can see that:
"Never mind that toy sales were awful and that we made your show heck because of it, we're putting the blame on you. So uh, here, take Utsunomiya-san and do Shinkenger again! That should make everyone happy! There's no way you can screw that up, right?"
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

So why introduce a plot point about them not being able to be children again? other than that and the open ending with Zett this was a decent ending to a decent sentai. The not-so-stealthy ninjas are on stage next, lets see what they can do!
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

Well, the good news is, the series ended on a somewhat mixed, but generally happy, ending.

The great news is, there was was only one male anatomy gag that came out of this whole thing.

And finally, the sad news is, we now have to reset our expectations for the next series.
Impact
7X
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Favorite Band: Gackt
My boom: Shio Ramen
Quote: "Dios no me ama!"

Post by Impact »

Eh. Kind of a weak ending. Not sure it's the last we'll see of the team. Too many loose ends. Plus rumors are floating around and I'm not sure if it's okay to talk abou themt on here. Bring on the ninjas and Vanilla Ice.
Galada
Go Go!

Post by Galada »

I must say, I really disliked Toqger at the begining (you can read my post on the first topics) but at some point it turned on to be a very enjoyable show.

While the show insists that the theme is imagination, I think that only works at the beginning of the story (and, in the end, it works as a Deus Ex Machina for a happy ending). The actual theme, in my opinion, was light and darkness, and that was worked really well, specially in the last episodes. While the comedy of the series didn't work most of the time, I've enjoyed the light (hah!) hearted mood. The script and the direction started out very lame and bad, but it got very interesting with the time. At first, I thought that the interactions between the actors was awkward, but they've improved it really well. There's still problems, of course, like the transfer thing (it only worked as a theme in certain episodes, not as an actual pratical gimmick), the power of the weapons being used only in the first episode and that stupid conductor, but, overall, I think that was a really good series that managed to create some really awesome moments. The ending was a little underwhelming and predictable, but it's lovely anyway, and I think the lanterns scene deserves some kind of Oscar.

Goodbye, Toqger. I'm glad you've managed to be another good Sentai on my list. And thanks, TV-Nihon, to bring it to us.

Not come at me, Ninninger!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Galada wrote:And thanks, TV-Nihon, to bring it to us.
An excellent point. Thank you Takenoko & crew. :)
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

This series is good... but not really memorable.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

And from me and the crew, you're always very welcome! See you again in: Neo Ninja Rangers!
Rifaz wrote:This series is good... but not really memorable.
Sometimes that's allllright. :)
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

takenoko wrote:Yeah I dunno. Kobayashi's latest works haven't wowed me lately between Toqger and Zero. And while I abhor Zero, at least I found Toqger entertaining on a moment to moment basis. It just didn't have any of the great highs of Go-Busters. Maybe she got in trouble for that and the Toei execs had her tied down more than usual for this series.
I think you should really try to watch the Garo anime again. It's better than Toqger and Zero Black Blood.
LiterateDead
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by LiterateDead »

Alright, you know what? I've been here almost a year now and I haven't even created a profile... So, throwing myself into things at the end!

This was honestly my first Sentai series (original Japanese, at least), and the one that led me to TV-Nihon (thank you so much for translating these series!). It surprises me to see how many folks look down upon this series, but it might be more of a matter of perspective. Since I've never watched a 'real' Sentai before, I've no comparison to ToQger. But that said, with this being my first, it makes me honestly want to see more of the type! I started this series as a bit of a lark, and the further I got into it, the more addicted I became. I even have friends I dragged down with me, as we do a weekly Toqger watching every Wednesday morning as a group! We enjoy the cool monsters, fun action, and the generally strange ideas the show throws at us.

As for the finale... I liked it. It's an entertaining conclusion that feels like a good fun payoff to what's come before. Honestly, the only thing that kind of disappoints me about the finale is that our cast can go back to being children in the end. I get the idea, but I felt that the notion of them growing older came as the sacrifice to their cause. They could return home, but they couldn't retain their childhood. As is, I'm willing to forgive this, it's not the biggest issue in the world (heck, I'm usually more upset at endings where characters lose their memories; it always feels like just throwing away those experiences makes a series moot).

For next week... I can't say I'm terribly excited about Ninninger (I'm not a big ninja fan), but I'm going to give it a fair try. Even if I don't like it, I can go back and try for an older series (maybe Kamen Rider Gaim, since there was that crossover). You never know until you try!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ah, nothing like the first one! Welcome!

We have a spoiler tag in case you want to use that instead of the small text.
LiterateDead
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by LiterateDead »

takenoko wrote:Ah, nothing like the first one! Welcome!

We have a spoiler tag in case you want to use that instead of the small text.
...oh. Whoops. Didn't even realize I was doing that... No, I mean, I thought spoilers would be okay since this was an episode discussion. The downsized text was anything in parentheses, a force of habit from another forum since I tend to use those like footnotes. I'll cut that out!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Works for me. Anything that improves readability is appreciated. Thanks!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

LiterateDead wrote:It surprises me to see how many folks look down upon this series, but it might be more of a matter of perspective. Since I've never watched a 'real' Sentai before, I've no comparison to ToQger. But that said, with this being my first, it makes me honestly want to see more of the type!
It wasn't a bad series, but by Sentai standards it's mediocre, hence the response here.

But if you liked the material, then I'd suggest looking into the last 2 series (Go-Busters and Kyouryuuger), both of those are stronger series and I think you'd have fun with them.:) Go-Busters in particular was well received with the western, sub-watching audiences.

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”