Toqger 47 departing now

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Re: Toqger 47 departing now

Post by mholden020 »

I want to first say "thank you" for all the work that goes into getting these shows subtitled, and make that double for this week and getting it out earlier than normal. Maybe I'm just slow, but I had been getting them on Thursday or Friday, so to see the finale posted on Tuesday night was very cool.

To me, the finale was perfect. While everyone points to the fact that Zett seemed to be the only one that went out unhappy, the only thing that I questioned was the lack of recognition Zett got after the battle. I thought that, with as much emphasis as was put on the connection between Right and Zett, there would have been some kind of acknowledgement, inner monologue, or whatever from Right after things simmered down. It just felt like he got ignored after a relatively tragic ending. I liked the series (despite a mid-season grind with filler shows), and I'm still shocked that they pulled off a train motif.

I think I watched the transformation sequence about 5 times before I continued onto the rest of the video. I love the helmet-less roll calls for whatever reason, and I think that was the best way to do it. Someone in an earlier post mentioned how they liked that the Toqgers themselves called out their names instead of the "voice-over", but, unless I'm mistaken, the voice was the Toq Changer Brace announcing everything that happened, so I'm glad nobody hit the mute button on that for the final episode. The OCD in me also appreciated that Right still had his face band-aid on during the roll call, so no continuity blunder there!

Toq Rainbow...I'm not sure if there was really a way around that. I was surprised that Right used the Build Ressha after Akira sternly said "No" the first time he tried to do it, but it seemed like away to acknowledge him as a full part of the group. As for the "don't make it CGI" comment, a fully rainbow suit would have been the stupidest looking thing (to probably) ever to come out of the Sentai series. Think about it. XD

Like LiterateDead, I created my account to respond about this show when I'd finally caught up after starting with Shinkenger last year. I'm not kicking down the doors to see any Ninninger stuff before it's released, but it seems interesting nonetheless. Thanks again to the entire team here for everything they do, it is very much appreciated.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
silver-ranger
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by silver-ranger »

is anyone else having an issue where the episode doesnt play it just sits on the splash screen and does nothing?
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I was expecting a mediocre ending (like with Kyouryuuger) but fortunately the ending was pretty good, if a little sappy. The Rainbow form was a long time coming. I liked that Right transformed into Orange, even if it wasn't explained how.

This series had a really different feel from any other sentai I've seen. It actually seemed like a North American kids' show. (With the train theme, it reminds me of Shining Time Station, but there are lots of others.) Toqger is definitely the most "kiddie" of any recent sentai series. If this had been my first sentai, I probably wouldn't come back. As usual, there is some good stuff in it but this is really the series of squandered potential. Everything seems to be kept really simple, including a paper-thin plot and characters that receive very little development. (I never liked Naomi from Den-O, but Wagon was almost as bad.) I really wanted to like Zett, but there was just too little to his character.

Overall, I'd say this series was slightly better than Goseiger (which basically means I didn't like it very much). Also, I found myself getting really bored with this series, which is something I've never experienced with sentai before.

Anyway, as a show for very young kids I think this series works (though maybe it could have been shorter) and it was something different, so that's good. I look forward to ninjas, because they're not overdone, right?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

silver-ranger wrote:is anyone else having an issue where the episode doesnt play it just sits on the splash screen and does nothing?
Sounds like a corrupt file, try redownloading
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

Yeah, this show was pretty "by the numbers" in terms of your average Sentai. I actually stopped watching around episode 25, & only in the last 2 months started catching up because I heard the show was getting better. And it did, but I feel like in the last few episodes it dropped back down again. It's funny because I think the first 2 episodes are amazing, but much like Kyoryuger this show quickly dropped some of the things that made the beginning episodes really entertaining.

This finale was fine aswell, but there are still things that bug me:

Just who is Zett anyway? Is he just a monster? I don't think so because if he was, why would he get knocked back into his human form if his monster form is his default. So then is he another kid corrupted by the darkness? I don't know, the show doesn't say. For all his brooding, his dislike for the darkness, & all the times he said "kira kira", I wish we knew more about Zett & why he is how he is other than "he looked over at Right one time". I mean, for being one of the most interesting parts of the show, he deserves a bit of backstory don't you think?

Speaking of Right, he's lame. He's just your typical, standard "go get em" Red. He's always front & centre, he's the best without really trying, he's the 'leader' despite not showing any real leadership skills, has no real personal issues or flaws & he gets to deal the final blow. Look, I get that the Red Ranger has to be #1, or has to have the most screentime, but can we make it someone a little more deserving of being the 'main' character? I hope Ninninger changes it up & we don't get "Mr. Perfect Red" for the 3rd time in a row.

It's a shame that romance subplot went nowhere. Poor Tokachhi, maybe in ten years kid.

I did have some fun with this show, Akira could be pretty funny & Ticket always made me smile a little. And there were some really good episodes like the first 2 & the Karate episode.

But in the end, like everyone else has said, ToQger as a whole is kinda average & a little bit forgetable. But I did have some fun at least, & I guess that's the best you hope for with a show like this. I'll be waiting to see what happens next for the ToQgers (hopefully another awesome Toei Hero Next, but I can only dream).

Whoa, just noticed, when did you guys change it to 'Raito'?
Last edited by HarryFA1 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Whoa, just noticed, when did you guys change it to 'Raito'?

It only comes up when his family addresses him. In the captions his name is written in kanji. Apparently we used "Right" when his grandfather spoke to him in like episode 32 or whatever, but that was probably just because they hadn't made the big lantern reveal that really showed off their names.
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Blackcondorguy »

I don't think ToQger was that much "by the numbers". It had some elements that were unique and quite interesting. Akira was something new, and I liked seeing that they could still come up with new ideas for a 6th ranger after more than 20 years. His character interacted well with the others.

Also, I liked the fact that they really were children. That's an interesting plot element since it justifies the characters being simplistic. It is often the case in tv shows aimed at children, and let's not forget that sentai ARE aimed at children. Here, they came up with a logical explanation for that which I could buy. I don't feel like there was no character development either, even if there was not as much as I would have liked. All in all, I liked the characters.

But the ending did feel a little frustrating. Above all, they should not have become children again. It screwed up the coming of age aspect of the story. They should not have been able to return to where they came from because it means being who they were then, which is impossible since they've grown up. So them staying adults and not being able to return to Subarugahama would have made more sense in my opinion. Maybe it was too much of a downer ending, though.

Also, Right overcoming darkness and being able to use the rainbow color was rushed and could have been explained better. I liked ToQger but it seems like it had some wasted potential.

Well, there were Timeranger, Shinkenger and Go-busters... You can't expect Kobayashi to write a series that ends up in the 5 best sentai series list everytime.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

HarryFA1 wrote:It's a shame that romance subplot went nowhere. Poor Tokachhi, maybe in ten years kid.
I don't know about that. Watch the part when young Tokacchi meets the others and notice that young Mio grabs his hand. It might not mean anything but I would like to think otherwise.
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

Of the 5 and a half Sentai seasons I've watched, I think Toqger is my favorite, just edging Go-Busters. I'm a sucker for good emotional, heartwarming stories. And Kobayashi definitely crafted a season that made these last few episodes' sentimentality very effective for me. Something about these kids trying to find their way home.

I love the adorable train children, I love their pure, no frills friendship, I love the trains, I love the Shadow Line dynamics, I love the music. It was a great season for me.
Barim
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: SS: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Queen

Post by Barim »

Surprised how much I liked this series in the end.

So much that I even watched it three times, (different releases, won't give any names).

Surprised how much I understood of the episode on my first watch earlier this week (unsubbed), speedsub added little. Watching your proper release still made me learn something new. I was originally under the impression Nero and Mørk were absorbed against their will, your translation made it clear they willingly gave up their lifedarkness.

Also, is this the only Sentai where the main heroes did not kill/defeat a single commander proper? Which, thinking about it, does make a bit of sense.
The villains were a true European court in set-up and interaction. Everyone was plotting against everyone and while continuously plotting, rarely actually doing anything with the plot. Some of those dying as a direct result of their plots failing. A great idea for villains, but perhaps a bit to passive for Sentai villains.

The Sentai itself was a clear, direct answer to some complaints about Kyoryuger. Everyone really got their chance to shine, even in the finale. The colour changing gimmick was used far less than it could have, if anything, I hope it results in Toei losing some of its preconceptions on Senshi colours and will allow more variety in gender/colour variations in the future. Dark TQG Ichigo was an interesting variant on Kobayashi's alternate Red that shows up around the finale.

Now to decide whether it is time for me to start watching Drive, wait for Ninnin or just start watching both.
Spoiler
Once the Heron to set his path,
Twice the Heron to name him true,
Once the Dragon for remembrance lost,
Twice the Dragon for the price he must pay.
LiterateDead
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by LiterateDead »

On a bit of a side-topic, I have to thank Toqger for being my gateway series into Sentai works!

I had a day off today (and snow, so the outside world ceased to exist), and spent it doing test runs of various series through TV-Nihon (seriously, thank you to the translators and subtitlers for making these available!). I've spent the last ten months eagerly awaiting each new episode of Toqger without thinking about looking into other series. Now that it's gone, I'm going to give the others a try! While this series may have gotten a generally negative reaction from Sentai watchers (at least as far as most of my internet searches seem to imply), it's been something really special to me!

(For the sake of mentioning, I tried Kyouryuuger, which I couldn't get into; Go-Busters, which is not bad, but I'm unsure of; and Kamen Rider Den-O, which I got hooked on and plowed through several episodes in one sitting... I was going to try Kamen Rider Gaim, too, but Den-O took up the rest of my time!)
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I think I figured out why this didn't feel like that much of a finale to me.

a) there was no real final mech fight. they just ram the trains into the monster and it's gone. in a regular finale, they'd start by using their strongest mech against the final monster, then we drop down to the epic beatdown at ground level.

b) the final fight was anticlimactic. they take out a handful of mooks in one shot, then fight just three people, then one underwhelming 1v1 with the final boss. in a regular finale, they'd have a bunch of mooks that they fight off for a couple of minutes, then they'd fight the generals and final boss.

if they'd not made those two bits so underwhelming, everything else would basically be standard epilogue fluff and feel earned.
RuneDragon1985
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Quote: "Saa, omae no tsumi wo kazoe ro."

Post by RuneDragon1985 »

I honestly feel like this finale left a lot to be desired but ended on a good note. Zett stands as one of the weaker main villains in terms of motivation and such, and could have been written a lot better. I will admit I liked his final form design, though.

I will say this, it was rather predictable; the ToQgers were kids the whole time, and after the battle returned to being kids. I saw that coming somewhere after the beginning, not quite near the middle. From a storytelling standpoint, this series is a classic tale of a battle between light and darkness; Rainbow Line and the Shadow Line, respectively. That ultimately doesn't feel all that original, but it does well to stand out. This ending was one I can say was quite satisfying and definitely meant to be emotional, and I like it for that.

All in all, pretty mediocre series, decent ending, now on to a third Sentai series about ninjas!

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else wanted it, but I personally would have loved to see MagiShine under that bunny head. It would have made things so much more amazing.
Gamerasith
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Doctor Who
Dreamy: Clara from Dr. Who
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Favorite Band: Metallica,Kiss
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: From start to finsh, I am at a climax!!!

Post by Gamerasith »

I really dug this show.. This was the first Sentai in where ALL of my family sat down and watched together!!!! That includes a 43 yr old father(me),41 yr old wife, my 12 year old twin boys and 11 year old daughter!!!! I loved everything about this show, and it was a big step up from Kyoruger(from what I have seen of it so far) will rank in the top 10 of recent sentai out there for me!!!!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Nero is probably my favorite villain ever. He is loyal to to the cause, no inkling of betrayal, and he is actually likable enough. Mork is the same but she's a colossal bitch.

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”