darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Sentai Series to Begin With

Post by darkmage02 »

Hi, I'm very sure a similar question would have been posted a dozen times before (hence, kindly move this to the appropriate thread) but I can't seem to find it. I'm a huge fan of Kamen Riders but now I'm thinking of starting on a Sentai Series, so any suggestion/recommendation on which series should I start with? I know there are crossovers and Decade-ish season with the Gokaigers (hope I got their name right), so any series I could start with without having to go "huh?" over these crossover series/episodes/movies?

Maybe irrelevant, but I have watched the American Power Ranger series all the way from Mighty Morphin till Mystic Force. Loved them, but as I get older I cringed more and more on their cheesy dialogues that I could no longer watch any.

Much thanks in advance!
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Sentai Series to Begin With

Post by takenoko »

Hard as it may to believe, I feel like we don't get that question as often as "What kind of Kamen Rider should I start with?"

If you don't mind our bad old subs, I'd probably start with Deka and go up in chronological order. Magi (the one after Deka) is still one of my favorites.

If you want something a bit more modern, maybe check out Shinkenger (which we're currently redoing on Blu-ray).
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You can't go wrong with Magiranger. It's cute and spunky and hits all the right highs and lows. Definitely my favorite. I love Gekiranger too but that once could be a bit hard to jump into.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

Ahh DekaRanger :) I kinda like the PR equivalent for that season so I may start on that :) May I know what's the opinion on Abaranger? Cause I love the American counterpart for that too, one of my top favourites actually. If you guys say it's good then maybe I can start with that. And nope I don't mind the older subs by you guys, it's still better than those I can get out there.
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Abaranger is okay, but it is a bit silly. It reminded me of Power Rangers which was one of the reasons I wasn't that into Sentai at first. I definitely would love to redo Deka. Ah, if only if I had infinite free time and infinite stamina.
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Sauce »

Off the top of my head: Deka, Busters, Timeranger
takenoko wrote:I definitely would love to redo Deka. Ah, if only if I had infinite free time and infinite stamina.

On an off topic note, I'd volunteer as much grunt work on it as you'd need.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I'd really need someone who knows timing and typesetting to convert those scripts. Unfortunately, I'd probably be the one to slow that down since I'd need to double check the translation and stuff as it goes.
Saber_World
7X
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Nai & Mea
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Favorite Band: AKB48
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: "Fighting is something done from the stomach. Put the energy from your stomach into it!" - Tendou no Obaasan

Post by Saber_World »

Definitely watch Dekaranger first. Then you would go and watch Magiranger. And then watch the great Dekaranger vs Magiranger :lol:. I mean seriously, Hi-tech and Magic... what more can you ask for right? 8)
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Dekarangers is a fairly good introduction to what to expect, more or less, from Super Sentais, Shinkengers feels like generally a solid work though it's tricky for me to say if it's a good introduction since I was pretty into Sentai when I saw it. Same with Kyoryugers despite it having a similar cast set up as Dekarangers, all be it there's a lot in Kyoryuger about them being a 'sentai' and playing off of expectations of what being a 'sentai' means... hmm... There's also Gekirangers since it's more like a martial arts series than just straight sentai...
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hey, it's Saber World!
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

My first intro to Sentai was Shinkenger and I think around Gokaiger was when I wanted to track down the roots of my MMPR childhood with Zyuranger - Ohranger
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I started with Gekirangers and to this date it is still one of my favorite Sentai's along with Shinkengers and Gokaigers. Go-ongers was also good so I guess there was a pattern at some point. From TVN's subs I think I only didn't watch dekarangers to end I have full series but it didn't give me the same impact as its american counterpart SPD.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

^Of course, trying to watch the counterparts of the early PR seasons is going to be a tough ask now - Zyuranger is licensed, so you should buy the DVD - a newbie isn't going to want to do that. And Ohranger doesn't have complete subs yet (Millionfold Curiosity have done up to 25, they're releasing one episode a week). Carranger isn't fully subbed either. Everything from Abaranger onwards is subbed, and everything from Dekaranger onwards has been subbed by TV Nihon.

Personally, my first season was Shinkenger - which I watched not long after it's release, at the time when we thought Power Rangers was cancelled. I've since gone back and watched earlier seasons, and have seen everything from Dekaranger onwards, plus Zyuranger. For a Kamen Rider fan, I'd say Go-Busters is the most Rider like, but that show is not typical of Sentai at all. If you liked Den-O, go for ToQger, same writer, same motif.
Saber_World
7X
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Nai & Mea
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Favorite Band: AKB48
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: "Fighting is something done from the stomach. Put the energy from your stomach into it!" - Tendou no Obaasan

Post by Saber_World »

takenoko wrote:Hey, it's Saber World!
Ah, now Take is gonna ask me to QC, hahaha... Sorry man, i'll be back soon... I'm unemployed, gotta find a job to pay the bills first. :(

Owh, and how about boukenger? Gotta love the Akashi and Sakura~

kuroblack
Go Go!

Post by kuroblack »

I had not watched any Sentai after half way of Liveman. Then, somehow during Youtube browsing, I found Boukenger. Since then, I've been following sentai every year. I have also done some catching up and watched some of the shows before Boukenger. It a shame that there are no complete subs or even raws for some of those early Heisei Sentai series.

Return to “Sentai”