Ninninger 08 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger 08 sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ninninger_Shinobi_no_08

Damn you Shimoyama and your puns.

Finally, some real guests. Pretty good Fuuka episode. I like the fact that it didn't just focus exclusively on Takaharu. In fact, from the perspective of Fuuka as the main character, he does come off as kind of annoying to her too.

It's also a nice comparison to Drive. No one tells the Ninningers to keep their identities secret. Fuuka just wants to because she doesn't want to come off as some weirdo at school.

Got to love all the scenes of Fuuka's friends freaking out at their ninja mansion.

I'm not super familiar with that centerpiece table thing, but is that a miniature rock garden or something? It's the only reason I can think of for there to be sand inside a building.

Little Fuuka and Takaharu are funny.

Episode and we're already on to the new guy, eh? I don't really understand the Toei mindset "We've got something that's super Japanese. Let's contrast this with America as the opposite." There are other ninja stories where they don't throw in Americanism to offset the Japaneseness of things, Toei.

I wonder what Izayoi has planned next time.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: Ninninger 08 sanjou!

Post by Yaiba »

That's the reason Fuuka sucks at being a ninja, because she doesn't like it. You can't be good at something if you don't like it. I hope with this renew feelings she will be a more interesting character.

It's kinda cute that Fuuka used her friends' trick on the Youkai. Her friends learned of her house's location by pretending they knew, and she learn of the Youkai's weak point by pretending she knew.

By the way, throw Takaharu off the center seat more often, it's awesome. You all deserves to pilot ShirikenJin too.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Dammit Toei stop copying everything from Hurricaneger (I didn't like it so much because everything was too unrealistic). Can we have something more interesting other than an almost exact copy of Shurikenger...
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

American cowboy. Do not want.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote:I'm not super familiar with that centerpiece table thing, but is that a miniature rock garden or something? It's the only reason I can think of for there to be sand inside a building.
It's an irori table. Used for heating and cooking, it is a precursor to the kotatsu. Unlike an irori (Japanese hearth) that is recessed into the floor, an irori table can be moved since it isn't a permanent fixture of the house.

An irori table is filled with fine sand to contain the fire. There were lumps of hardwood charcoal near the bamboo breathing tube that Yakumo used. As the fire consumes the charcoal, ashes are accumulated. When Yakumo abandoned his hiding spot, Fuuka's friends were covered in a mixture of sand and ashes.

I loved the scenes with Fuuka and Nagi interacting. It reminds me of how older siblings tell their younger siblings not to embarrass them if they end up attending the same school. You can see from Nagi's expression that his smartass comment to Fuuka in front of her new friends was, in his mind, worth getting an elbow to the ribs.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

The hide-and-seek game and Fuuka being embarrassed by her family provided for some genuinely funny moments. All of those scenes were pretty enjoyable. I also enjoyed Fuuka yanking Takaharu out of the pilot seat in ShurikenJin more than I should have.

An English speaking ninja from America - maybe our sixth is supposed to be a nod to Jiraiya/Ninja Black? I’m trying to hold off judgment until we get more than one line of dialogue, but I can’t say I’m looking forward to his official introduction.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

After 7 episodes where I completely forgot Fuuka was part of the team, her first "focus episode" was quite good, in my opinion.

I don't really understand the the "revelation" moment where Fuuka explained to Takaharu that the yokai could travel through time. Takaharu seemed completely caught off guard by it, but isn't he the one who followed the thing back in time in the previous episode? I thought it might be a strange continuity error, but Kasumi mentioned that the yokai had revived itself twice, which would include it dying in the 40th anniversary special.

As for the new Ninja, I'm honestly shocked that he's appeared this early in the show. I accidentally stumbled across a picture of him around the time of the 2nd episode and thought for sure we'd wait until episode 17 again, but instead he makes his appearance in episode 8. Unless I'm mistaken, the only time a 6th ranger has appeared that early in the show was Kyoryuger, where Ramirez appeared first in Episode 5, right? Makes me wonder if there are going to be a bunch of Ninjas...
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Jetman
Infinity

Post by Jetman »

My favorite episode so far! We finally some character focus for the other members of the team, and I found all the "ninja" gags at the mansion pretty funny. Next episode looks great too. Hopefully the show is starting to hit it's stride now.

Also, the "Shurikenjin" song is awesome. Can't for the full version.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, Ramirez is more of an extra ranger, like Doggie.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

takenoko wrote:I dunno, Ramirez is more of an extra ranger, like Doggie.
Oh right! I forgot there was a Gold Kyoryuger. His first cameo was Episode 8, interestingly enough...
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

This was a good episode because now we get to see the gold ninja I've known about for weeks at the end of the episode. There isn't much on him other than actor, equipment and mecha, but the guy who does the Wikia posts a few things ahead of schedule.

Overall the episode was good because cats have nine lives and the Youkai couldn't be killed because he could reverse time. One thing I found odd was that Aka and Shiro didn't try to warn their past selves about the real date of the Youkai return so that the other ninjas could be better prepared. At least we got to see that Fukka was a good ninja and she and her brother were close before normal life kicked in.

Another thing I've noticed is that Fukka and Nagi look like actual siblings, but their actors aren't related. Has anyone else seen this? Look at the intro and the same goofy smile are on both of them.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Well that was a bit of a cliched episode but it was still nice. Got more input into Fuuka's situation trapped in an insane ninja family. We finally break out of the running gag of Fuuka mess ups thanks to not longer affected by 'you're cynical' karma. She got to be more active and finally get into being a ninja with the rest of the cast...

And then we get a shot of our next ninja team member... An English speaking, Cowboy Ninja, with an electric guitar sword... *shudder*... That sounds like something out of DA, like a ninja vampire, or a zombie magical gi-okay those are two very bad examples cause I really like Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka... Still, uuugh, what we've seen so far is not comforting.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
TankCoyote
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Joe
Favorite Actor?: Gai
Favorite Band: Yes
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: my GF
Quote: GOKAICHANGE! GoooookaiSiiiilver!

Post by TankCoyote »

New ranger entry made into the chart!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Don't get mad, Americans! You Texas buffalo riding cowboy ninjas!
Jetman
Infinity

Post by Jetman »

takenoko wrote:Don't get mad, Americans! You Texas buffalo riding cowboy ninjas!
Man, why would I get mad? Guitar sword wielding Cowboy Ninjas riding Buffalo mecha and fighting feudal Japanese warlords who are such badasses they can just punch death in the face and come back to life through sheer force of will is exactly the kind of thing I watch these shows for!

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”