Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Drive

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How do you find Drive?

***** Luxury Drive
23%
**** Let's go for a Drive
39%
*** Cruise control
29%
** Stop, then go
4%
* Stop, don't go
5%

Total votes: 97
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Drive

Post by takenoko »

So we're over the halfway mark. How are people finding Drive so far?

I think it's pretty good for being an obvious Toei B Team effort. The story isn't as compelling as W's, but I like the characters and want most of them to succeed for the most part. The villains are interesting and enigmatic and you can tell that there's some conspiracy going on behind everything.

The only thing I really don't like is how annoying Go is. I get that he's written to conflict with the main Rider and Chase, but he's also annoying to the viewers. And that's not a good thing.

I gave it a 3. No real high marks, but not real low lows either. Just a solid golden road series.

http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/tagged/Kamen-Rider-Drive
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Drive

Post by Lunagel »

There are high and low points, stuff I think is brilliant (HBV!) and then stuff that's downright retarded (that button story). Overall the story seems to know where it's going and what it wants to do, so at least we have a distinct end goal in mind, although for the life of me I couldn't tell you what exactly the Roidmude want right now. It's not really a standout series in my mind at the moment, but it's still beating Wizard in my book.
veryverydanger
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
My boom: KRGS
Quote: I want to be a flower like that.

Post by veryverydanger »

It's fun, but until now, there have been exactly zero surprises or anything of much interest happening other than very straight forward plot points. I'd started saying "The only surprise in Drive is the opening theme song" and that's held true for 25 episodes, which is unfortunate? I'm holding onto hope that more exciting things actually do happen, but I won't hold my breath.

(I'm also bitter about Kiriko but who isn't?)
lennyhouston16
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gaim, OOO, Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva, W, Go-Busters
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by lennyhouston16 »

I have to agree with what's been said so far. Additionally, I feel like the show tries to compete with Gaim too much sometimes. I can't fully explain why but the overall story arcs and gimmicks deeply remind me of Gaim. Even the whole thing with us not fully knowing the Roidmude's intentions seems like they're trying to drag out this mystery like in the intentions of Helheim. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but it doesn't seem like a good thing either. Chase and Kiriko are the main reasons why I watch the show since they seem to be the most interesting.
Eric
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Poppy Pipopapo
Favorite Actor?: Iijima Hiroki
Favorite Band: something else
My boom: music, cheese stuff
Quote: "Hello there." -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Eric »

I've been watched from the start of this show to Chaser's debut.
Discord: Eric the Gaming Guy#2407 | Deviantart | Tumblr

Watching: Zi-O, Saikyou Battle (Miniseries), Tokusatsu GAGAGA (Jdorama)
Completed: Gaim, ToQ, Ghost, Zyuoh, Ex-Aid, Kyuu, Build, Lupin VS Pat
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

I would give it a 3 - 4 star. I would almost go(u) and say Drive is the Go-Buster's of Riders. Not saying its bad or anything its just OK and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not sure that I could handle something so intense?? as Gaimu (if that makes any sense)
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
MaliceMasquerade
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Drive
Dreamy: Banjo Ryuga
Favorite Actor?: Yeon Woo Jin
Favorite Band: Breaking Benjamin
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Guardian (Chinese Drama)
Quote: "Life is an occasion, rise to it"

Post by MaliceMasquerade »

I give it a 3. It's just ok for me. Chase is definitely what makes it more exciting. I love him and have been waiting for the day that he became a rider again! CANNOT STAND GO!!! He is super annoying. These last few episodes I've wanted to punch him in the face! That could be because I love Chase though. Tomari just coasts by. He's not anything special but he's not an annoying piece of crap like Go so, points for him! ^_^
Malice Masquerade
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

For me, Drive is a decent 4 because on how the story is being written almost perfect thanks to Riku Sanjo. Both the surprises and twists are there in the story itself. I agree with the others that Go became a pain in the neck.
Spoiler
He is so annoying that there's something with him and the Roidmudes in which I cannot figure out.
I hope that everything will have a smooth ride in the end. Let's enjoy watching Kamen Rider Drive... Start your engine!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Hey, someone gave it a 5. Why isn't that person saying something?
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray

Post by xiiliea »

I'd go for 3 as well.

Gaim and Fourze gets a 4/5 from me, and they're my favorites. Drive is good but not as good as those 2, so 3/5.

Have to agree about Go too. The writers are just making him "I hate this person even though he's obviously not an enemy, I can't use my brain to think straight, I just hate him because the writers say I hate him". The series has pretty interesting stuffs, including a very unique theme (cars vs humanoid robots), good characters (Chase, Heart), but falls off at some parts including annoying characters (Go and Nira, and the series feels dragged (very repetitive story arc about Chase, going back and forth about whether he was going leave the Roidmudes or not). Also, the way they introduced the second rider was just so generic. Go just randomly enters the series as a random new rider, just because they want to have another rider.
Galada
Go Go!

Post by Galada »

I'm really tempted to give this a 1, because this series has so many problems, and I hate every single one of them. Go is one. The lame mysteries and the stupid ways in which they're solved (which, in a detective-themed story, is a major no-no) is another one. The Special Cases Department's staff and their really dumb, annoying and plain bad comedy is another one. How badly written and directed the story is, yes, another problem. The fact that the plot moves at a snail's pace, barely going anywhere is another problem. Lately, I've been watching the episodes barely paying attention, by how unisteresting they are, most of the time.

But I'll give this a 2 because there's still a few things that I think it's good, like the opening (it's just amazing, I never get tired of it) and a few minor things. And despite it's problems, I don't think the series is still as bad as Kiva's story, or Decade or Kabuto (sorry if everyone like those KR).
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

This is a good 3 for me. Nothing bad but nothing extraordinary
What's up with the hate for Go though? I've been noticing it on Facebook pages and whatnot.
Sentai_ZXR7
Infinity
Quote: Ready for the Next Challenge

Post by Sentai_ZXR7 »

I give 3, because the show is merely entertaining but it lacks a solid plot line.
When the series began it emphasize the Roidmudes concept, mechanical beings that want to take over the world, the origin of the events should have been stablished in the begining of the series, bad way to produce this show.
Gou is sometimes annoying, he think he is Sherlock Holmes or something
Spoiler
after seeing episode 27 next episode preview, are the producer stupid enough to do a repeat formula like Gaim where Mitsuzanne turned bad guy?! :evil:
The producers are running out of ideas.
Chase has the right place to become a Kamen Rider on his own, I hope there is more of him in the next episodes.
Ovearall, is a series to watch, but I would advise Toei to be more consistent in the way they make Kamen Rider series, at this rate viewers will turn off the TV or find another series that is more interesting.
xPrimexTimex
Infinity

Post by xPrimexTimex »

I gave the series so far a 3, but that doesn't really say how I feel about Drive. I like the series, but I'm not in love with it. There's a lot of things that I don't like, but there are also a lot of things I do like. I like the music, the spectacle, the suits, most (if not all) technical aspects of the show. I think the acting is par for the course. The problem is plot. Where is it? The Roidmude attack society, but it doesn't seem like they have a particular goal in mind. This isn't a problem if they're secretly trying to push an agenda without informing Drive, but for the most part you can't make that argument. For awhile there Brain was absolutely pathetic to watch, but thankfully he's come around. I like Heart, for a "baddie" he's got a personality and I think genuinely cares about his compatriot Roidmude. He reminds me of Ecliptor from PRiS, but he doesn't engage as often as Ecliptor did with "the good guys". Medic is either meh at times or awesome at others.

I like Kiriko, and it's a shame she isn't a Rider, but hopefully she'll be one by the time the series is over. The Special Cases Department have a surprising amount of depth to them, although you have to follow them for multiple episodes in order to see anything change. Chase is cool, especially after we've resolved what his role is in the story. The episodes between Brain revealing that he was Proto-Drive and when he became Chaser were really annoying since the subplot of him trying to decide where to place his loyalties actually undermined the main plot. (much like Dylan's search for his sister in RPM).

Shinnosuke is somewhat of a bland character but I don't mind it that much. He believes in justice and protecting the people. Typical good guy/hero stuff with him, but he does have a bit of humor in him. Go is....misunderstood??? There's a lot of problems with Go, most of which lies with empathy. The audience has a hard time empathizing with Go. Go comes across as impatient, annoying, and a bit stuck up. There isn't a whole lot of backstory of his time in America, so we don't know why he is the way he is, and we don't know what kind of person he was when he was on his own. As such we have to take him at face value and his first impression is not the best. He wants to defeat the Roidmude, but outside of recent events, it's not really said why he wants to. There's also the part of him saying he's running out of time or how he's approaching a time limit. I think Go could have been written better, or at least have been given more a backstory early on so that he wouldn't be as hated now. I think part of Go feels underappreciated and another part of him feels outdated. He's supposed to be the successor to Drive and his system is supposed to be better, but Drive has outperformed Mach for some time and even Chaser now seems better than Mach. I suspect Go in the end will be more liked than he is now, and that'll be due to more backstory and character development. Our current Go is the product of a somewhat abrasive character not being given enough development along with dealing with the angst that comes with feeling outdated. I actually think Go is worse now than when he first appeared, and that's sad really.

Drive feels like it has a vision of where it wants to go, but doesn't really have the map for it. The writing doesn't seem consistent at all to me, but hopefully that gets changed soon. 3/5 seems a bit high to me, I'd prefer a 5.5/10 (if that makes sense)
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

It's mediocre. It's not doing anything offensive - well, the Gou storyline is starting to skirt that line for me, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I don't really care that much about any of the characters - Kiriko and Chase come close, but they've done enough stupid stuff to make me frustrated at times. I think the kiss of death for me has been the inconsistency of the writing, where power-ups and major plot twists have come out of nowhere. (I'm looking at you, Formula, Tomari's dad, and Gou's reason for fighting.) I'm not saying that the writers needed to lay their cards on the table from episode one, but they needed to do a better job of foreshadowing future events rather than having every character suddenly obsessed with talking about whatever the plot-of-the-week requires.

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”