Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 04 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Gold_Storm-_Shou_04

Hey, that was actually a pretty good episode. The "Meeting an antisocial Makai Knight" trope is getting kind of old, but it still works here. (Although, this guy teaches kids?)

We find out what the hole does. And while we know Jinga and Amily are screwing with Team Garo, we still don't know why. Are they testing them? Do they even know that Ryuuga has the red dagger? Right now, they're just ambiguously evil. We don't even know why they want the daggers yet. But it's still early on, so that's fine.

Gald seems content to remain a background character.

So the crux of the episode revolves on Daigo's interactions with Team Garo. He's obviously a "rough around the edges tough guy with a heart of gold". He acts dickish, but he'll pull through when the time counts. It's kind of ironic that he's constantly telling Ryuuga to be careful, considering how Daigo himself fights. I mean, his Makai Knight form almost looks brutish. But I like it. I don't recall a Makai Knight in that color, plus the design looks unique.

Plus, we get a side story where Ryuuga actually saves someone. It's always good when the story isn't "Horror killed some red shirts, time to avenge them by killing the Horror, episode ends". Plus, the guy even has a small little subplot where we're left to interpret what happened to put him in that building and why he stole the knife from the head chef. I like little touches like that, since it makes the world feel more complete.

One thing that did drag the episode down was the victim being kind of a scream queen. Sure wish they had scaled that back a bit.

Edit:
That's interesting. Apparently Daigo is Beast Form Knight Giga (獣身騎士ギガ). Why is that interesting? Because the term Beast Form is such a unique term, all the Google image results are from Raiga's Luminous Beast Form and Kouga's Heart Destruction Beast Form. That would seem to explain Daigo's bulk. But does that mean in Gold Storm, they've conquered the ability this berserker aspect of Makai Knights and are just regularly using it? Is this unique to Daigo? Or am I overthinking it and it's not connected at all to the main series universe of Garo?
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 04 released

Post by TokuCasual »

That was a good episode. Green Knight with an Axe made his debut to live-action. I always thought he looked cool from the game. So it's nice to have him here. Also, that guy that keeps screaming, yea I was a bit annoyed by that too, but then I thought maybe he's mute. So who knows.

Rian sinking the building was cool, and right away the new Knight contribute as well to the team. Which leave one member left yet to join, the lazy priest.

Jinga and Amily are interesting to me, in that they appear to be horror, but with intelligence. If they even are horror. Definitely need to know more about them.

Also, it's interesting that each ep leads straight to the next. Next ep looks to be another busy mission. Ryuuga and Rian really won't get to rest this season.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Looks cool from the game? What?
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

I admit to being quite irritated by the screaming guy as well. It seems that his job was really to just stand there and act frightened, and I felt he wasn't even doing an excellent job of it. I mean, he didn't even try to run away from the horrors or evade them or anything. He was really there just to serve as a side-plot and a liability. So it was hard to like him or even root for him.

It was ironic, given Daigo's words. I was like - Seriously, risking your life over this kind of person? But I guess that goes to highlight how seriously Ryuga takes his duty as a protector. It is not his place to decide whether one person is worth saving over another. He just saves them all the best he can, and lets fate sort them out.

Some interesting fight scenes here. Rian using her gun to shoot the garo armour portal over to where Ryuga was sliding (seriously, it struck me as being extremely stupid - can't you wait the few seconds to don your armour, then charge into battle?).

To the original poster, I don't think "Beast Form" has any link to "Lost Beast Form". It's probably just some naming coincidence. They probably designed Daigo to be this hulking barbarian-like fighter archetype who relies on brute strength to overwhelm his foes and the name just captures his fighting style?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

A naming coincidence? That seems unlikely considering that it's not used for anything but those two specific examples.
Sp1r1t3d
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Sp1r1t3d »

I might be wrong but I could have sworn the Giga armor was introduced in that Gaoh pachinko machine. It think it was supposed to represent the tournament that the Knights had while Kouga was missing. I distinctly remember seeing footage of it on youtube with a green axe wielding knight.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

This episode was enjoyable, though some dialogue lines where pretty funny, IDK if it was intentional or not (like that conversation with Daigo and Ryuga about Rian's manners). Not to talk about the screaming guy.

I am surprised that Daigo's armour is not CG. Maybe we'll have him fighting Garo in a future episode. If not, I still see no point on making real suits to fight CGI monsters.

That thing that abazigal said about Rian shooting the circle was weird too, because I'd swear that in previous seasons the armor has followed the knight even if he wasn't under the circle.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

takenoko wrote:Looks cool from the game? What?
Yea, from the pachinko game.

This guy.

Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote:Plus, the guy even has a small little subplot where we're left to interpret what happened to put him in that building and why he stole the knife from the head chef. I like little touches like that, since it makes the world feel more complete.
I'm not sure he stole the knife, the head chef didn't really act like that. I'm more of the opinion that the guy is a cook himself and he got fired (chefs have their own personal knives so he'd take that with him). So he goes back to the restaurant and the head chef gives him another chance.

Goddamn did that guy scream too much. I'm fairly certain 95% of his dialogue was just screaming.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The screaming guy and the other subordinate chef are part of a comedy duo, I think. At least, they're in some group from what my cursory investigation tells me.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

It's so common to have a screaming girl I thought it was nice to flip it and have a guy doing it. I honestly thought he was a horror at first, since he was in that building; then an alcoholic when he grabbed that bottle-shaped bag; but, no, something more meaningful was inside. Interesting that he wasn't possession-bait. If he was an alcoholic, he would probably have been spiritually vulnerable - since he wasn't ... he seems to have potential. Maybe that's why Ryuga was so encouraging. It wasn't until we saw the blue warp near the end I realized this was where our mysterious main villains had been goofing around. Maybe they're littering a lot of inga to make gates and raise a lot of horrors a bit like Kiba was? When she asked him if he was hungry I immediately thought of him feeding off horrors like Kiba did. Maybe a corrupted knight and priestess?
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

I liked the episode except for the irritating guy who kept on screaming every few seconds.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Alessar wrote:I honestly thought he was a horror at first, since he was in that building; then an alcoholic when he grabbed that bottle-shaped bag; but, no, something more meaningful was inside.
I actually liked that ambiguity. I think it's an interesting commentary on how your actual watching experience differs from your post-episode experience, since you have the benefit of foreknowledge in the latter case.

>When she asked him if he was hungry I immediately thought of him feeding off horrors like Kiba did. Maybe a corrupted knight and priestess?

I guess he never really answered the question. I mean, he did, but what was he hungry for? Sex? Food? People?
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

Dragonfan wrote:That thing that abazigal said about Rian shooting the circle was weird too, because I'd swear that in previous seasons the armor has followed the knight even if he wasn't under the circle.
In the first Garo series, I recall Kouga summoning his Garo armour, then being knocked away before his armour could reach him (and the armour just disappears afterwards). So there's definitely a short lag time when the knight is vulnerable.

Yet in the Garo Yami no Terasu first episode, Ryuga summons his armour after jumping off a building, and the armour just flies neatly to him (quite reminiscent of Iron Man suiting up in the Avengers Movie). I guess that technically, he was still under the circle.

So it seems the armour follows you if you are under the circle, but not if you are horizontally away from it?
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

Deleted unnecessary quote

It seems like another gimmick to me.

Return to “-Gold Storm- Shou”