Do you like Gou?

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Do you like Gou?

Yes, he's my favorite character
20%
Neutral, he's alright
80%
No, kill him off from the show
No votes

Total votes: 15
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Do you like Gou?

Post by wisdomcat »

Ever since Gou debuted as Mach in episode 12, I didn't like his character at all. It feels like the show went into a slump after that episode. Then it came back when Type Formula debuted only for it to go back down again. His quirky attitude is just annoying then all of a sudden the writers throw in that Gou and Kiriko's father is the creator of the Roidmude and that's the reason why he hates them. It feels like a ditch effort to make kids like Gou again. In my opinion, he's just a side character, not that important to watch. So what are your opinions on him?
Last edited by wisdomcat on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Do you like Gou?

Post by takenoko »

I think he's pretty annoying. But maybe that's intentional, since they seem to be setting him up as a villain? I dunno, I'll have to wait and see what they do with him, I guess.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I never had the hate for him compared to other people have with him. I don't mind him at all. Go is just immature. I would imagine a bunch of people back in the day was just exactly like him except having an actual Rider system.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I liked him when he was smug and showing people up. Lately he just seems super irrational.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Not my favorite. But I do like Go.
I've said this before I really don't see where the annoyance with Go came from but I'm definitely gonna have to rewatch from Go's arrival onward, Maybe there is something I'm not remember/catching on too.
Bayushi-rei
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Build
Favorite Actor?: Tetsuya Iwanaga
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona

Post by Bayushi-rei »

When he first made his debut, I really liked him. I even remember telling my girlfriend how much I liked his character, which was weird because the moment he did his henshin into Mach, my immediate response was "Nope, looks too American. Get it off." (I know they did that intentionally, I just think it could have been designed better)

That being said, recently, I have begun to like him less and less. About the time they revealed Drive Type Formula, he started to get on my nerves and this latest story just seems to be more of the same. So, while I still like him, I like him significantly less than I once did. However, if he goes full villain (as is suggested in the preview for episode 29), I might begin to like him again as I have a soft spot for villains.
Currently watching:
Sentai - Dekaranger, Jyuohger, Kyuuranger.
KR - Faiz, Kabuto, OOO, Zi-O.
Other -

Finished:
Sentai - Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Kyouryuuger, Toqger, Lupin vs Pato.
KR - W, Fourze, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid, Build.
Other - Tokusatsu GAGAGA.
Kiriko
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Dreamy: Youko-chan
Favorite Actor?: Arisa Komiya
Favorite Band: NONE
Quote: Thunder

Post by Kiriko »

He's my favorite character, with a good style. He can take out every roidmude with his confidence. Sometime, he acting so funny. And he always try do anything best for his sister.
Bomyne
Go Go!
Favorite series: Zi-O
2nd Favorite Series: Drive
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Bomyne »

Initially I was like "Meh, just another sentai Red but this time in Kamen Rider"... because that's what Gou feels like to me. He's Sosuke. He's King. He's Takaharu. He's Ban. (PS. except for Takaharu, I hated most of that group)...

But as the show goes on... I agree with those above that his personality and attitude degraded, especially towards Chase and his sister.

With regard to his powers... They are fun, but it's kinda depressing that he shares his super form with Drive (And potentially, Chaser). I mean, Accel, Meteor, Beast, and Baron all got their own super modes... Birth too if you count his birthday form. But Mach doesn't appear to be getting his own super mode.

Spoiler
Truthfully, I don't know what to make of him now that he's got that mark from 001. He's less sentai red and more... dark, brooding evil.

EDIT:
Spoiler
Gou actually kinda feels like Michi. Betraying his friends, family, and ideals to work for the bad guys. but as I said, no idea what to make of him due to the 001 mark.

Again, apologies if I get Japanese names wrong.
solari
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

Post by solari »

I kinda like Gou.
Even from his debut, he seems to be hiding something behind his flashy and cheerful exterior...
SquidKing
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Kind of everyone?
Favorite Actor?: Mr. Kamen Rider
Favorite Band: unrelated to Toku
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Star Wars
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by SquidKing »

So now that we can see what looks like his full arc, what do you think of him? I was actually pretty sad when he was basically off the show during the upswing, but I love his character growth to an incredible degree.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I thought his motivation to kill all the roidmudes just so his sister wouldn't find out that their dad was a massive dick seemed really lacking.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Gou feels incomplete. The time limit(?) on his suit has vanished, he's not showing any visible strain from wearing it for too long anymore. He somehow learned about BannoPad (was it ever explained how he knew?) and introduced that deus ex machina, which degraded his character into a little child throwing a temper tantrum and keeping secrets from his big sister. I'll admit this led into a nice, albeit small, arc of him stepping out of the shadow of his father and now trying to be his own man but it's not executed particularly well. He still has a constant angry-pouty face and shoots first, asks questions later. Which I'll admit can be nice! But... I dunno. Have some tact. He's always storming off when he doesn't get what he wants.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”