4%

Total votes: 25
Godai Yuusuke
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Re: Ratings Poll: Ultraman Nexus

Post by Godai Yuusuke »

Well, interesting kaiju comparison.....
for me, these two are the best from around 10 series of ultraman I watched (80, Tiga, Dyna, Gaia, Cosmos, Nexus, UltrasevenX, Ginga, Mebius, Leo)

And the favorite Ultraman is .......Ultraman Agul.... he is even darker compared to Himeya.....

I am still not sure why if you like Gaia, you hate Nexus, as basically they almost the same (no time limit, if you get injured in ultra form, you also get it in human form)...
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

imprialdrz wrote:Thanks for the info, now I see why the ending feel so rushed and quite unclear compared to others. (although I am still not quite sure where EX episode will be filled in).
The thing I don't like about Himeya chapter (and nexus overall) is the story described from Komon point of view, rather than 3rd person. This make overall story become Komon centered. For example the one I never understand:
Spoiler
When the first time Komon fly the jet, he fly one alone, while 4 others more experienced people fly it with help from others

Well, you have a point there, Ginga is much worse ( would give -5 if I can) compared to Nexus.

On another note, Himeya is more like Fujimiya (Ultraman Agul) in Gaia. Lone hero with complex personality (and also got injured alot because he the injury he got from becoming ultraman).
I guess the Koman-centering was mainly due to Tsuburaya trying to do a different kind of Ultraman style (maybe to give viewers someone to look up to instead of someone to relate to), but I think the big reason behind focusing on Komon was to lead up to the end where
Spoiler
Komon becomes Nexus/Noa.
But you have a point with the example you gave; I think the Captain wanted to test Komon, but I'm still not sure how good an answer that is. At least they seemed to give Himeya and Ren a more reasonable amount of focus as the series progressed. As for the EX, I was a bit unclear on that too at first, but apparently it takes place just after Episode 31.

Wow, I didn't know Himeya and Fujumiya were that similar. Gaia sounds pretty cool.

Incidentally, @Godai Yuusuke, what are your views on Nexus?
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Godai Yuusuke
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by Godai Yuusuke »

Mxylv wrote: Incidentally, @Godai Yuusuke, what are your views on Nexus?
Before I answer this question, let me say that my most favorite ultraman series are the 3 heisei ultraman (Tiga, Dyna, Gaia). For me to consider these series as the greatest, let me compare it to nexus.
there are several criteria for me to judge the ultraman series, they are (maybe I forget a few details, as I watched them long time ago):
1. Fighting Organization
Nexus:TLT
Spoiler
5 person fighting team, with unreliable backup team. The organization structure is not very clear (beside that white haired guy(forget his name), no other seem to give any direction. the other question is the funding, as it is still unclear how they can maintain their base

Tiga: GUTS
Spoiler
7 members with school training the new members (as seen in Dyna). Its upper organization is TPC, and they operate with clear chain of command. As TPC is global organization, seems they got their money from it as well

Dyna: Super GUTS
Spoiler
The continuation of GUTS, see above

Gaia: XIG
Spoiler
too many member to count (they have 9 specialized pilots for jet fighter alone, not counting tank and others). It is the under command of GUARD. The funding is very clear, as they are prepared by the world government to defend the earth from extraterrestial threats

Winner: Gaia
2. Base Design:
Nexus
Spoiler
Image Image

Tiga:
Spoiler

Dyna:
Spoiler
basicaly the same as Tiga

Gaia:
Spoiler

Winner: Tiga

3. Jet fighter and other mechas
Nexus:
Spoiler
jet fighter that can combine. too bad they are saved in crappy orange box. No main carrier and other mechas. unfortunately , I cannot find any decent picture of them

Tiga:
Spoiler
Decent jet fighter. http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/GUTS_Wing main carrier and ultimate mechas: Artdessei. have other mechas such as submarine

Dyna:
Spoiler
Basically improvement of Tiga vehicles

Gaia:
Spoiler
all mechas (except the main carrier:peace carry) start from hexagonal mode, and evolve into various vehicles. Ultimate mechas: Aerial base (yup, the base itself) itselfhttp://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Container_Mecha

4. Storyline (a bit lazy to summarize it, so I just give a link)
Tiga:http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Ultraman_Tiga_(series)
Dyna:http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Ultraman_Dyna_(series)
Gaia:http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Ultraman_Gaia_(series)
Nexus:you know it :)

Winner: Gaia (mainly due to
Spoiler
the clash of ideal between Agul and Gaia and verrrrry memorable ending
)

5. Ultraman Design:
Tiga: Multitype, able to change according to battle situation (
Spoiler
power, speed and balanced form
)

Dyna: Multitype, able to change according to battle situation(
Spoiler
melee, long range and balanced
)

Gaia: Normal form and super form (
Spoiler
super form when he get agul power
)

Nexus: the same with Gaia??? (
Spoiler
Blank: Normal; Junis/Junis blue:super form

Winner: Tiga

6. Monster Design
Tiga: decent monster design with some memorable ones such as geoshark and gardi (http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ul ... Tiga_Kaiju)
Dyna: ummm, I can say many strange monsters, but not as bad as Nexus (http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ul ... Dyna_Kaiju)
Gaia: So many memorable monster design, in fact, love all of themhttp://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ul ... Gaia_Kaiju (except that stupid crabgan), some monsters even far...far bigger than ultraman for example
Spoiler
Image Gaia is not even half the size the size of this monster teeth!!!

Nexus: in this regards, I should agree with the posting above.... Nexus kaijuu is verrry verry bad in designhttp://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ul ... exus_Kaiju (maybe top 3 worst kaijuu design in ultraman series are in Nexus)

Now for rating, based on the facts above, will give it 2.5 (5 to Tiga and Gaia, 4 to Dyna)
imprialdrz
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Garo

Post by imprialdrz »

Hard to argue, but for me flying fortress is better than island, so for me, the winner of base design is gaia.
Mxylv
Humongous
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Godai Yuusuke wrote: Now for rating, based on the facts above, will give it 2.5 (5 to Tiga and Gaia, 4 to Dyna)
Thanks for the info,

I haven't seen that much yet from the series you've mentioned, partially because I have yet to find a good fansub for Gaia. *checks out forum's main page* Hmmm....
Anyway, because of this you'd certainly be better at comparing the shows, so I'm going to try to rate the show as a standalone series.

What grabbed me so much about TLT was its dark and questionable undertone. In many previous iterations of the show, the organization was (usually) a good-hearted, sometimes slightly incompetent patrol who fought Kaiju until Ultraman arrived in time to beat it. I'm all for the classic approach in many series (much else would probably get boring after a while), but TLT's tactics of lies, memory wipes and even its willingness to
Spoiler
potentially kill an Ultraman just to enhance their weaponry
felt like a complete re-imagining of the Earth-defense organization. In short, although I liked its slightly more realistic take on an underground patrol (black/navy blue uniforms), the real reason why I thought TLT was brilliant of Tsuburaya was the fact that, despite theoretically being the "good guys," TLT were willing to justify just about anything for the "greater good." I agree that more members would've been good, though.

As for the designs, I really agree on your choice of Gaia's jets/mechas; those are some awesome machines, and a flying fortress does make for a cool base. In terms of the design of the Ultramen, I liked Nexus best (mainly due to the Samurai influence for his helmet, the Junis form's shoulder armor, the darker look in general and
Spoiler
the chrome+wings on his Ultimate Noa form
), but since "best design" can be subjective anyway, that may be just me. The Kaiju... yeah, I guess it showed that they weren't going for a monster-of-the-week structure. Still, I feel like one or two deserved some credit:
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImageMostly the first and last monsters.

If it helps, this is some of what we would've gotten if Nexus wasn't canceled early. I kinda like the plant one: http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Unused_Spac ... aman_Nexus

Again, I can't really compare the stories to Tiga/Dyna/Gaia, but as a standalone series, Nexus blew my mind. The story arc that included a guilt-stricken, suffering host who doesn't know why he was chosen for most of his run, a villain who would kill and resurrect someone to play games with the protagonist's mind, and rising ethical questions with the organization sometimes seemed more interesting than the Space Beast side of the story itself. Some of why I like it actually reminds me of why you like Gaia:
Spoiler
From what I'm getting, both have a massive clash in ideals between people who are theoretically on the same side, even if Gaia and Nexus use this in different ways.
Again, I'm not saying it's better or worse than other shows, just that the balance it struck between human-level emotion and Ultra-level action was amazing for me. Almost every character ended up with a backstory, from the antagonist to the man behind the organization.

Just a quick question before I close--do either of you have any thoughts on the soundtrack for the series? I think this is the only Ultraman show that particular composer worked on (needless to say, I thought it was epic), so just wondering on that.

Also, dang--I just realized how stereotyped I look for a Nexus supporter with my avatar and all :lol:
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
imprialdrz
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Garo

Post by imprialdrz »

[quote="Mxylv"

Just a quick question before I close--do either of you have any thoughts on the soundtrack for the series? I think this is the only Ultraman show that particular composer worked on (needless to say, I thought it was epic), so just wondering on that.

[/quote]]

the ending song of nexus are indeed epic (if not the best). looking at detailed comparison by godai yuusuke, Now I feel ashamed just judge the series by storyline... :( :( :(
for ultraman design, still agree with Mxylv, nexus design still the best, especially junis red, pretty colorful.

Thinking again from the different aspects, want to change my preference to 2 or 3.... just too bad I cant :?
Godai Yuusuke
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by Godai Yuusuke »

Mxylv wrote:
Godai Yuusuke wrote: Now for rating, based on the facts above, will give it 2.5 (5 to Tiga and Gaia, 4 to Dyna)
Thanks for the info,

I haven't seen that much yet from the series you've mentioned, partially because I have yet to find a good fansub for Gaia. *checks out forum's main page* Hmmm....
Anyway, because of this you'd certainly be better at comparing the shows, so I'm going to try to rate the show as a standalone series.

What grabbed me so much about TLT was its dark and questionable undertone. In many previous iterations of the show, the organization was (usually) a good-hearted, sometimes slightly incompetent patrol who fought Kaiju until Ultraman arrived in time to beat it. I'm all for the classic approach in many series (much else would probably get boring after a while), but TLT's tactics of lies, memory wipes and even its willingness to
Spoiler
potentially kill an Ultraman just to enhance their weaponry
felt like a complete re-imagining of the Earth-defense organization. In short, although I liked its slightly more realistic take on an underground patrol (black/navy blue uniforms), the real reason why I thought TLT was brilliant of Tsuburaya was the fact that, despite theoretically being the "good guys," TLT were willing to justify just about anything for the "greater good." I agree that more members would've been good, though.

As for the designs, I really agree on your choice of Gaia's jets/mechas; those are some awesome machines, and a flying fortress does make for a cool base. In terms of the design of the Ultramen, I liked Nexus best (mainly due to the Samurai influence for his helmet, the Junis form's shoulder armor, the darker look in general and
Spoiler
the chrome+wings on his Ultimate Noa form
), but since "best design" can be subjective anyway, that may be just me. The Kaiju... yeah, I guess it showed that they weren't going for a monster-of-the-week structure. Still, I feel like one or two deserved some credit:
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImageMostly the first and last monsters.

If it helps, this is some of what we would've gotten if Nexus wasn't canceled early. I kinda like the plant one: http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Unused_Spac ... aman_Nexus

Again, I can't really compare the stories to Tiga/Dyna/Gaia, but as a standalone series, Nexus blew my mind. The story arc that included a guilt-stricken, suffering host who doesn't know why he was chosen for most of his run, a villain who would kill and resurrect someone to play games with the protagonist's mind, and rising ethical questions with the organization sometimes seemed more interesting than the Space Beast side of the story itself. Some of why I like it actually reminds me of why you like Gaia:
Spoiler
From what I'm getting, both have a massive clash in ideals between people who are theoretically on the same side, even if Gaia and Nexus use this in different ways.
Again, I'm not saying it's better or worse than other shows, just that the balance it struck between human-level emotion and Ultra-level action was amazing for me. Almost every character ended up with a backstory, from the antagonist to the man behind the organization.

Also, dang--I just realized how stereotyped I look for a Nexus supporter with my avatar and all :lol:
Hmmm, it certainly great song, but not epic (at least for me), as I think Tiga opening song is far better.
Interesting point of view.... Btw, if you are really want a series with very dark tone, consider Ultraman Leo, with blood and violence in show
Spoiler
and death of fighting team members
, although if you watch it now, probably the visual effect seems very outdated.
back to series comparison, what I like most from Tiga is because it is the first Ultraman to have multiform, and also the first Ultraman that not related to that Nebula thing (yeah, after some series that the Ultraman come from other galaxy, they have king etc etc, it really make me sick), so Tiga really rejuvenated this franchise.
For Dyna, the series tone and well balanced form of seriousness and humor really make me enjoy this series (not too serious like Tiga and Gaia) and I think it is the only ending where
Spoiler
main Ultraman get killed(Dyna getting sucked to blackhole during final episode)

Gaia, you have at least 3 different factions who fight each other, without clear black and white between them, which even Nexus cannot offers, although it become clear as series progressed, you will really enjoy watching it after you watch it for second time, as everything become clear
Spoiler
Extraterestial monsters who feel threatened by humanity progress, Earth monsters as defender of earth (usually they appear to protect earth from extraterrestial attack), and human, spearheaded by GUARD to protect the earth from attack
and
Spoiler
moral questions by Gamu (Gaia) whether it is correct to kill monsters
, not to mention 2 Ultraman with different ideology
Spoiler
they even tried to kill each other because of this
Hope my information will be useful to you.
Mxylv
Humongous

Post by Mxylv »

Thanks for the information,

You're right there; Tiga really gave the franchise a new meaning with his multi-type forms and the different universe. I tend to think of Tiga as the father of all Heisei Ultra shows with the possible exception of Ginga the multiple forms and other elements picked up by many future series; it's certainly a show on my watch list. I'm personally happy that Tsuburaya ended up deciding that the previous universe still happened, though--it'd be kind of a shame to dump all that canon, even if the mythos was getting rather silly.

I really like the energetic feel of Tiga's Take Me Higher theme, and it's one of my favorite Ultra themes of all time. What I liked so much about Nexus' Eiyuu (Hero) wasn't just the feel (although it certainly matched the darker tone Nexus gave), but the lyrics, which were about what it takes to be a hero. It was a really good description of both Himeya and the series in general, in the same way that its predecessor's theme matched the motif of kindness.

I really like the idea of Ultramen with opposing views, though. In one series two Ultraman oppose each other morally, in another Ultraman and the patrol oppose views and
Spoiler
diplomacy rarely works in either case.
Man, these two are sounding more and more similar in entirely different ways. What you said about Gaia being really confusing also reminds me of Nexus: although, again, I wouldn't be a good judge on similarities, there's also a lot going on in Nexus that starts out completely unexplained, and the answers
Spoiler
--particularly that TLT is part of the problem--
gave knowledge a bit of an edge.

Hope my information also helps.
imprialdrz wrote: for ultraman design, still agree with Mxylv, nexus design still the best, especially junis red, pretty colorful.

Thinking again from the different aspects, want to change my preference to 2 or 3.... just too bad I cant :?
Junis red really is awesome. Dang, I hate it when rating polls get locked though...
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
Godai Yuusuke
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by Godai Yuusuke »

Mxylv wrote:Thanks for the information,

even if the mythos was getting rather silly.
Yeah, it is become very silly and disturbing...
Mxylv wrote: predecessor's theme matched the motif of kindness.
You mean Cosmos?
Mxylv wrote: I really like the idea of Ultramen with opposing views, though. In one series two Ultraman oppose each other morally, in another Ultraman and the patrol oppose views and
Spoiler
Man, these two are sounding more and more similar in entirely different ways. What you said about Gaia being really confusing also reminds me of Nexus: although, again, I wouldn't be a good judge on similarities, there's also a lot going on in Nexus that starts out completely unexplained, and the answers
Spoiler
--particularly that TLT is part of the problem--
gave knowledge a bit of an edge.
Too bad that
Spoiler
Nexus never attack them even though he get attacked several times, otherwise, we will really have very interesting Ultraman story :D :D

Ah, forget one thing I don't like about Nexus.... it is a newer Ultraman compared to Tiga or Dyna, but somehow the fighting scene and visual effects seems quite outdated (we see improvement from Tiga-Dyna-Gaia-Cosmos, but suddenly there is a big quality drop with Nexus). I don't know if it budget related thing or not, but if they really want to make adult show, they really need to pay much attention to every details. (For kid show, some unclear thing maybe go unnoticed, but if the viewer are adult, it will disturb them)
Mxylv
Humongous

Post by Mxylv »

Godai Yuusuke wrote: You mean Cosmos?
Yup, that's the one. As a bit of a side note, it seems like each series alternates between darker and lighter until the more balanced Mebius happened.
Godai Yuusuke wrote:
Mxylv wrote: In one series two Ultraman oppose each other morally, in another Ultraman and the patrol oppose views and
Spoiler
Man, these two are sounding more and more similar in entirely different ways.
Too bad that
Spoiler
Nexus never attack them even though he get attacked several times, otherwise, we will really have very interesting Ultraman story :D :D
We certainly would! I felt like one Nexus did right was have Ultraman be a Warrior of Light who represented goodness. Having him
Spoiler
fight back against TLT
would be really interesting, but I found his willingness to protect anyone, even
Spoiler
one kid and even the organization that would hunt him down
, fit both the Eiyuu opening and what being Ultraman is all about. I think the Nexus show got what and who Ultraman is really well, especially for a parallel world/reboot (although I presume some other series like Tiga and Gaia also easily achieve this).
Godai Yuusuke wrote: Ah, forget one thing I don't like about Nexus.... somehow the fighting scene and visual effects seems quite outdated (we see improvement from Tiga-Dyna-Gaia-Cosmos, but suddenly there is a big quality drop with Nexus). I don't know if it budget related thing or not, but if they really want to make adult show, they really need to pay much attention to every details.
I'd have to see the other series, but one explanation may be that a lot of the more colorful and flashier effects are gone. Dyna's Solgent Ray, for instance, had an complex, epic blue-violet beam, whereas Nexus' Over Ray Storm was basically a revamp of the classic Specium Ray. Tsuburaya seemed to be going for a good story over great effects (or great Kaiju design), but I don't know... it could have had a lower budget. The only real complaint I had with the effects was with the CGI, but Ginga's the only Ultraman show I know of that had a reeealy low budget. As the Star Wars prequels discovered, effects can be best with moderation, but I think it was some combination of budget and realism (unless the CGI was notably worse).

What do you think about the effects of Cosmos compared to Gaia/Nexus (or possibly to Neos) in terms of effects?
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
Godai Yuusuke
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by Godai Yuusuke »

Mxylv wrote:
As a bit of a side note, it seems like each series alternates between darker and lighter until the more balanced Mebius happened.
Did'nt notice it until you pointed it out.....
Mxylv wrote:
Tsuburaya seemed to be going for a good story over great effects (or great Kaiju design)
Hmm, although seems reasonable, I prefer if they did take visual effects seriously also. Imagine if the story so great, but somehow the effects so bad( like we watched 1960s Ultraman, even though it is produced in 2000s/2010s) it will really kill the mood as in every Ultraman, fighting with monster probably take 15% of each episode time.
Mxylv wrote:
but Ginga's the only Ultraman show I know of that had a reeealy low budget
Now I see why Ginga don't have fighting team and mechas, which really kill the franchise (for me, Ultraman must have 3 basic components, fighting team (with mechas, base, soldier uniform), Ultraman fighting in city (see lot of building get destroyed) and monsters).
Mxylv wrote:
What do you think about the effects of Cosmos compared to Gaia/Nexus (or possibly to Neos) in terms of effects?
Well, never see Neos, but Nexus is really far away compared to Cosmos effects and battle scenarios. First we have Tiga, and then Dyna appeared with better visual effects and design (base, fighter etc), after that Gaia with memorable effect (land being exploded when he jump) and better effect than before, and Cosmos also improved its visual effects (and especially fighting scene) compared to Gaia, but somehow, Nexus effects and battle scenes are worse even compared to Tiga (and those CGI scenes is quite disturbing). It really have the potential to be the best, but somehow they neglect many important details (fighting team base, mechas, number of personel, visual effects, monster design, rarely see building destroyed (except 2-3 last episode)) which hurt this series as a whole. Even worse, they cut this series in the middle, which make it become unclear and confusing. :(
Mxylv
Humongous

Post by Mxylv »

Godai Yuusuke wrote:Hmm, although seems reasonable, I prefer if they did take visual effects seriously also. Imagine if the story so great, but somehow the effects so bad.
Certainly--I have no idea why the effects weren't better. I tend to classify effects into the two categories, though: flashy (e.g. the Solgent Ray) and realistic (good greenscreen work, equal lighting with compositing, etc). There weren't many revealing mistakes in the series to me (mostly just bad CGI with the occasional greenscreen error), but the extra effects (like the ground exploding you mentioned in Gaia) were kinda lacking. Of course, I'd guess the lower episodes would be on a lower budget due to reasons explained later in the post, and I don't know if Max returned to a better-than-cosmos budget. Ultraman X seems to be a return to form, though.
Godai Yuusuke wrote:Now I see why Ginga don't have fighting team and mechas, which really kill the franchise (for me, Ultraman must have 3 basic components, fighting team (with mechas, base, soldier uniform), Ultraman fighting in city (see lot of building get destroyed) and monsters).
Agreed on Ginga (and good list by the way). Between that and the merchandising it felt more like Kaching-ga.
Spoiler

Godai Yuusuke wrote: We have Gaia with memorable effect (land being exploded when he jump).
I've seen the opening and I really agree on the land-exploding effect.
Godai Yuusuke wrote:It really have the potential to be the best, but somehow they neglect many important details (fighting team base, mechas, number of personel, visual effects, monster design, rarely see building destroyed (except 2-3 last episode)) which hurt this series as a whole.
While it's true that the team number is limited, what I liked about it was that almost all the individual team members had their own personal story. Komon and Nagi had some backstory, Shiori got a fantastic story on the DVD release, Captain Wataru was a very human take on a leader, and later on we see even more backstory show up, particularly with
Spoiler
Ishibori/Dark Zagi, Mizorogi/Dark Mephisto, the Illustrator and the TLT leader whose name I forget.
They had a limited cast for Nexus, but virtually none of them went to waste. As for the buildings, I agree that there wasn't much there. At least they explained it (Nexus wanting to protect people + secrecy) and it helped make the climax more powerful, whereas others like Ginga didn't even try.
Godai Yuusuke wrote:Even worse, they cut this series in the middle, which make it become unclear and confusing. :(
Some of that may have been the scheduling. As you may know, somewhere up the chain of command the Powers That Be somehow decided Nexus was a kid's show and dumped it on a kid's show schedule. As a result, the show got terrible ratings, was cut 13 episodes and when they reran it to the proper audience it was too late to save the episodes. The sudden switch in the middle was probably part of an attempt to get the audience they had to watch the series: add lots of kids, focus on a much younger person, and have part of it even take place at a doughnut shop. I'm personally glad they got it back to a darker show afterward, though--they they were going down, so they may as well do it with style. Although they would've gotten to the switch at some point, it may have not been nearly as stark a change had the scheduling gone right.
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
Godai Yuusuke
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by Godai Yuusuke »

Mxylv wrote: There weren't many revealing mistakes in the series to me (mostly just bad CGI with the occasional greenscreen error)
Try to watch it again, not sure why, but I feel the lightning seems a bit unmatched, but it might be only me, though.
Mxylv wrote: Agreed on Ginga (and good list by the way). Between that and the merchandising it felt more like Kaching-ga.
Yeah...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mxylv wrote: I've seen the opening and I really agree on the land-exploding effect.
What do you think about its mechas and base? For me, compared to land exploding effect, the mechas are more memorable (especially Fighter EX). Talking about it, now I realllllly wish there are Gaia fansub so I can watch it again....

Mxylv wrote: Some of that may have been the scheduling. As you may know, somewhere up the chain of command the Powers That Be somehow decided Nexus was a kid's show and dumped it on a kid's show schedule. As a result, the show got terrible ratings, was cut 13 episodes and when they reran it to the proper audience it was too late to save the episodes. The sudden switch in the middle was probably part of an attempt to get the audience they had to watch the series: add lots of kids, focus on a much younger person, and have part of it even take place at a doughnut shop. I'm personally glad they got it back to a darker show afterward, though--they they were going down, so they may as well do it with style. Although they would've gotten to the switch at some point, it may have not been nearly as stark a change had the scheduling gone right.
Hmm, I tend to agree that they should stick with original plan, rather than swing between dark-lighter-dark. I wish that they don't cut it in the middle, so we have more solid story and character development (as I think they focused too much with Komon, but again, it maybe only me).
Mxylv
Humongous

Post by Mxylv »

Godai Yuusuke wrote:Try to watch it again, not sure why, but I feel the lightning seems a bit unmatched, but it might be only me, though.
I might've missed that. To be honest, I'd expected the effects to be a bit dated, so I didn't have a problem with them that much (although better effects wouldn't have been unwelcome). That said, I felt like the CGI actually got better as the series progressed, particularly with Ultraman himself. I also thought the CGI effects had improved from some of its predecessors, particularly Dyna from the first episode of Ultraman Retsuden (at around 15:30; there's a link below), but that's probably just evolving technology.
Spoiler
Godai Yuusuke wrote:What do you think about its mechas and base? For me, compared to land exploding effect, the mechas are more memorable (especially Fighter EX). Talking about it, now I realllllly wish there are Gaia fansub so I can watch it again....
I also really liked the fighters from Gaia; the aerial base in particular really looks awesome. I particularly liked the land exploding effect because it added to the "giant" feel of Ultraman. Again, I particularly like it that the current Ultraman X is returning to ground explosions with dirt and debris thrown into the air. That said, I also really wish there was a fansub of Gaia. Well, we are on the TV-Nihon forum, so anything's possible...
Godai Yuusuke wrote:Hmm, I tend to agree that they should stick with original plan, rather than swing between dark-lighter-dark. I wish that they don't cut it in the middle, so we have more solid story and character development (as I think they focused too much with Komon, but again, it maybe only me).
Yeah; thankfully, they seemed to decide pretty quickly that they wanted the darker tone back. I felt like the focus on Komon helped to glue together the two halves, but it may have made a bit more sense if we'd gotten all 50 episodes.
Spoiler
Apparently, Komon was supposed to be Noa for more than one episode, making the buildup and focus on him make a lot more sense.
It may also be just me, but it also seemed to make some events even better and more powerful.
Spoiler
One example to me is Himeya's death, where I thought seeing self-sacrifice from someone else's point of view was very memorable. The other example that comes to mind was Episode 14, where Komon makes a rash decision and we see Ultraman react to his complete inability to stop the other. I felt like this was one of the most powerful moments in the series, made even better by making the focus and the hero two different people (until the end).

Slightly off-topic but I thought you'd be interested: you might have already heard this, but apparently Gaia's getting an HD remaster! The Blu-Ray box should be coming out next February:
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2015/06/30/ ... xes-dated/
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
Chronologically
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by Chronologically »

imprialdrz wrote:
Mxylv wrote:Sorry... terrible monster design?
ImageI beg to differ on the "non-memorable" issue.

So, why did you rate it 1/5? I found Komon's girlfriend being a puppet made to toy with his mind quite interesting, and for some of it Himeya himself doesn't know which world is real. Also: Nexus summons the Meta-Field (alternate dimension) to protect others from harm. Ultraman isn't a dream, but the show is purposefully confusing because of the mind games of Mizorogi, the Kaiju, and even...
Spoiler
the organization itself.

I think what's going on is that you haven't seen enough of the show for them to explain what you're bringing up. I'm not sure you've seen anything past Episode 12 or 13 based on your questions, so if you give it another shot, I can guarantee the show will explain a lot of confusing things you had questions about.

I've seen the whole series and I'd like to say that Nexus is arguably the best show ever made.

That's what I called memorable. not something like these:

Nope, you are wrong, I watched it until end before I give the score. I admit that Ren story is quite interesting, but the ending destroyed it (when komon become Ultraman, and night riders more like a patrol group after Zagi defeated). The ultraman design is the best compared to others, but we are talking about story here,so still (1/5).
Himeya Chapter (1/5)
Ren Chapter (3/5)
Ending (0/5)

The show isn't about how memorable the monsters are, but the dilemmas Komon faces. Convincing others that ultraman are good, overcoming his girlfriend.

Return to “Ultraman Nexus”