Kaigan KR Ghost 01

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Rating

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:03 am

☆☆☆☆☆
18%
☆☆☆☆
47%
☆☆☆
23%
☆☆
9%
4%

Total votes: 57
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kaigan KR Ghost 01

Post by takenoko »

Wiki Episode Article
Episode 2 >

Drive last episode average 4.65 / 5 (17 votes)

I didn't really care for it, but it's just the first episode. Sometimes Rider shows do this thing where it's like "Everything's got to be silly and quirky". It works in Agito and Ryuki because we've got monsters that are seriously terrorizing people and the quirk works as a balm for the harshness of that world. Here, the protagonist wears loud clothing and the head priest's name means "fart" in Japanese. And his female friend is his big sister and annoying. A Sculley she is not. To get back to my point, in a world where death has no consequence, I'm struggling to find my grounding for why I should care or feel like anything is at stake.

Tl:dr: If it's jokes all the time, how do you know when to laugh?

98 days to find 14 more Eyecons? Even if he doesn't just find one immediately like he did today, that still leaves him an average of a week between findings to do it. 15 isn't a large number.

Sennin may not be God, but he does seem powerful. Why doesn't he just help out and do stuff instead of giving Ghost advice? And where did Yurusen come from?

That's what Ghost's belt looks like? Why's it have to be so big? It's ugly and looks like a a transparent plastic box.

I guess the ghosts that become Ghost's hoodie are cool. But Musashi has a sword hilt come out of his head.

Welcome to the big book of British teeth.

Mystery man is mysterious.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Ghost 01 released

Post by Lunagel »

Okay, color me intrigued. It was a bit heavy-handed with the foreshadowing, but overall a solid first episode. The characters are amusing and it's got a great style. My only nitpick was with the waterfall scene, it was really hard to hear because it was badly equalized (due to waterfall). What I really like is that they all have such very different speaking styles, which is really fun for translations. It means I get to break out the big words for Onari and be a little more relaxed when it comes to Sennin and Yurusen.

I thought they would be going a little more towards Yokai Watch with the theme, but it's actually more similar to the Cosmo Capsules in Sazer X. This'll be an interesting year.

A translation note:
The Japanese uses the words 偉人 (ijin) and 英雄 (eiyuu) fairly interchangeably in the first episode. Both of them can be translated as "great man" or "hero", but I've decided to take a bit of a different tack. 偉人 is more strictly "great man" but since there's likely to be women, it's a little off. Therefore, I went with "icon" (a person or thing that is revered or idolized), partially because it fits very well, but mostly because then we get a nice icon/eyecon parallel there hohoho I am so clever.

英雄 is "hero", but a lot of these Eyecons aren't technically heroes (hell, Edison is a bad guy if you believe the Oatmeal). To get around that implication, it will be translated as "luminary" (a person who has attained eminence in his or her field or is an inspiration to others).

Hope you enjoy the episode!
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I'm surprised that they wasted no time in busting out a second form for Ghost despite it only being the first episode.

When the Ganma ordered the generic baddies to attack Ghost in his new form, their grunting almost seemed like reluctance at being sent to their doom.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

It was extremely lively, a huge change of pace from the relatively subdued Drive. I'm hoping Onari settles down a bit, the shouting is a bit much, but otherwise I'm a big fan of the characters so far. Yurusen snarking at Takeru from the sidelines is great.

My hopes is that the show will let Takeru delve into and explore his (and perhaps others') mortality. He seemed to be close to angsting, at the very end when he tried to hide in his occultish basement, but then Sennin showed up to dump the Plot Goal.
Akari's goal is obviously to expand her world into the supernatural, but Takeru's seems a bit vague as of now. Sure he's trying to come back to life by collecting the Eyecons, but that's a selfish reason for fighting so there's got to be another. I'm hoping they don't fall back on the usual "I need to protect people!" as so far the only connections we've seen is between Takeru and Akari, and Takeru and Onari. That's not enough to justify defending others in my opinion.

Will be interested to see where this goes... There were lots of bits from Takeru that I could expand into a character assessment but Toei does so love to completely override their character's natural development with what the plot calls for, so I'm going to withhold my analysis...
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Arigomi wrote:I'm surprised that they wasted no time in busting out a second form for Ghost despite it only being the first episode.
W and Wizard had the same deal as well.

I thought it was alright for the most part. Ganma grunts remind of the Shocker grunts so bad. I think Ghost looks better without the hoodie.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Very interesting beginning. Let's hope next week is good too.

What would happen if somebody stole Takeru's Eyecon?
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

/me buys Slowking's Eyecon for a pack of smelly dinosaur sponges
Slyder5597
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Gaim/Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: W/Kyoryuger
My boom: Toku
Quote: I'm just a passing through Kamen Rider
-Kamen Rider Decade

Post by Slyder5597 »

Only thing i can say is this episode felt kind of dull, but I think that's because we just finished Drive, and it got pretty intense at the end.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

I can understand the feelings by some of the signifcant change in pace. Things seem more laid back than in Drive. However I just consider this just an average first episode. Definitely not the same as W, Gaim or Drive. Still, Im intrigued enough to keep watching for now. My only thought is how they're gonna handle the 15 eyecons in 99 days thing when this is a show that airs over a year. Hopefully they break the story up into arcs like Gaim. Im still on the fence with our hero. He is way more personable than Haruto but still not as cool as Shinnosuke or as fun as Kouta or Eiji. Still my initial impressions are "Time will tell.".

Oh btw, Is anybody else getting a Garo vibe by the 99 day time limit. Feels like some arbitrary Makai rule.

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
ChibiZyuJin
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by ChibiZyuJin »

A solid pilot. Not the best but still it got me interested. So 1/3 of the show will be focused on gathering Eyecons and bringing Ghost to life. I wonder if he'll use all 15 of them as tier 1 transformations... Kamen Riders usually have 3 or 4 tiers so after those 15 Eyecons he can get his first(or second) power up maybe... Giving up on life to save someone he loves? How will they use 99 day plot really makes me wonder...
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

I thought this was a really interesting first ep. Bringing out a new form in the same episode as the base form is something not seen very often. The priest needs to calm the hell down. Though i will say the driver could be better designed. I think im going to like Yurusen though.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

its a nice episode. I'm looking forward to how Kamen Rider Ghost's story develops. Gather 15 eyecons and your wish will be granted sounds like Dragon Ball Z to me lol I like the design for Ghost its really good.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

You know....That makes me think...They really kind of arent making "death" too big of a deal. Its like, "Oh they killed you? Here's a belt, an eyeball with your soul in it, and Henshin!" YAY!!!!!

I feel the plot is as weak as sauce. Yurusen has no origin. I have the weirdest feeling we are walking into Haruto/Wizard 2.0

Honestly the only really positive thing is Ghosts design. Its really freaking fracking awesomeness.

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
Vashiev20
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: DekaYellow
Favorite Band: One ok rock
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Dont touch my taco, Im gonna touch your taco
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Vashiev20 »

Honestly im still on the fence with this episode. Aside from laying out the basic foundation of the show there didnt seem much in the way of substance. Almost everything that happened was purely exposition and the barest of introductions with no real reason why we should care aside from the ghosts attacking and Takeru's "i dont wanna be dead" hopefully the next few episodes will give the characters some good background and substance. Plus i think the "you're a ghost so you cant die" kind of robs the intensity and danger from the fights

The one good thing with this series i do like is the semblance of a timeline (at least for the 15 eyecons) we know that it will be smallish time gaps between episodes.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I think the problem with this episode was the pacing. An awful lot happened and we got the debut of two forms in quick succession. Also, the transition from the cafe to the beach was probably the worst I can think of in Toku.

I mean, with Drive, the first episode had a lot crammed into it, but at the same time managed to do everything and have a neat fight and still come off working well.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”