Kaigan KR Ghost 01

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Rating

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:03 am

☆☆☆☆☆
18%
☆☆☆☆
47%
☆☆☆
23%
☆☆
9%
4%

Total votes: 57
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: KR Ghost 01 released

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

Overall I enjoyed this episode, While i agree with everyone else about the weak points I still enjoyed it and it got me questioning everything else that we may see, However one small note, did anyone else get a Riotrooper Vibe from Ghost without the hoodie Armour?.

I'm finding the characters to be very interesting, i knew they were going for a more relaxed approach this year from the promo's, and I had already put Yurusen into my favorite character box after the Drive finale. The Ganma's design is curious and cool, i like how when defeated they have a similar death style to the villains in Drive (With their 'hoodies' breaking off their bodies and exploding)

I definitely will be coming back each week with excitement to see how this series will go, I can see why people worry we might get a Wizard 2.0 but i highly doubt that thankfully.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

This episode wasn't bad but it's the first episode so I wasn't really expecting it to knock my socks off. I'm interested in which historical figures are going to be his forms.
The suit looks much better in motion than it does in still images. That I'm pleased with. also maybe It's just me but Ninninger and Ghost's special effects seem to be really cool or maybe even better than the past few toku series. The black blood splatter is pretty damn cool.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

The black blood splatter gives me the Garo vibe. Since you don't actually see blood but cgi blood splatter instead which is making me enjoy this show more.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

You know I definitely get a Riotrooper vibe from the base Ghost form. Also, while I know it's the first episode, I still was more hyped after Drives first episode then after Ghosts. I think I was misunderstood, I love Yurusen's design. It's just he doesn't have any backstory yet. Also, it feels like there aren't any consequences or dangers because Ghost is already dead.

This Garo thing is different though because we know he will survive after 99 days unlike Kaoru. We didnt know at the time. This time the show will end. He is the star therefore it cannot

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Well, that was a needlessly confusing order of begining events. Like, were the monsters summoned 10 years ago when our hero's pop died? Did the dad die the night before? Why was the opening's order set up this way? So that we can just jump to our main hero sleeping as soon as possible so we know it was his father who died? Well that seems odd pacing since we are then thrown to the not too charming or likeable supporting cast.

So, yea... Not that crazy bout the cast, mind it's the first episode and none of the characters are actively dislikeable... not that they don't give it a try. Akari being so absolutely scientific that she science mocks him over a metaphor bout living a life that burns brightly? Our main character blowing off a childhood friend's birthday, not even finding it interesting cause he's a supposed history nerd? ... A shouty buddhist priest?

Aaand then there's the start of those 'history facts'... Let's just jump over how annoying the Icon Trivia popping up and taking up a 4th of the screen and focus on this... No, no one says Musashi was 18 years old when he dueled Kojiro... In fact when he was 18 is one of the years of his life where there's no records of what he was doing. When he was 15 or 16 he fought in the battle of Sekigahara and barely survived, 18 he disappeared from history, and he reappeared around his 20s. His duels with Kojiro were around his 30s... And this is just from some stupid white guy looking up information free to everyone. You'd think Japan would have a better handle on one of their own icons. Hate to see what history hiccups we get from the rest of the- *sees episode 2 tease* ooooh dear... Though we all knew that one was coming, more or less.

Still, I like Sannin and his shifts from deep booming sage voice and a casual chatting tone, and I would like for this show to grow beyond this first episode... Just... not their best foot forward.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

It feels more like a super sentai episode to me where every one is just thrown into the first episode without explanation
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

I gave it a 4. Points for suit design. Among my fav Rider suit in a while. Also I love the soundtrack. That Japanese melody that was playing during the waterfall scene, and the dramatic music when Takeru died. And from what I hear of the theme song, I'm liking that as well.

The episode itself, very rush, and mostly a bit of a mess. But I can see why that is the case. This feels more like the writer was trying to hit every checkpoint Toei enforce, more so than the problem with the storytelling itself. For a first episode, the story opened up many questions. That's a good thing from the long term aspect.

Who killed Takeru father and why. Why was the mail he sent took so long to get to Takeru. Who's the man in the hat and what does he want and why. And then there's the mysterious man in black. Who and how Yurusen came to be. Will Takeru really be resurrected after he collect all 15 eyecons.

Takeru rushing to live again, out of childish desperation may lead to terrible results. The old man could be a baddie using the kid. Yurusen I'm sure will get a background explanation later. The monk I hope will calm down, hopefully, cause he's way too loud. Akari needs to throw her scientific theory out the window and maybe put that science skill to good use to help her Ghostly friend. Or something.

All in all, I recall a lot of people hating Gaim first episode as well, and ended up loving the series. I was among the few who like Gaim first ep. We'll see how things goes.

Maybe my expectations are different since I skip out on Drive entirely after the first 4 episodes.
Last edited by TokuCasual on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

Right at the beginning I got a bit of a reminiscence of Kiva, the whole horror genre thing I think is what brought it on.
I really like the suit this time, I haven't really enjoyed the suits to much in the last couple of seasons. They just didn't do it for me.
ImageImage
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

TokuCasual wrote:The monk I hope will calm down, hopefully, cause he's way too loud.
Personally... ever since my friend pointed out that he acts like ShinkenBlue, I haven't minded him too much. :lol:
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

Umm... guys... it is about the SD release... although it is the right file size but the video rendition is in 1920x1080 that is why the video is kind of pixelated or choppy for its file size. I don't mind for a version 2 release of the SD.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Version 2 of the SD is out now.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote:To get back to my point, in a world where death has no consequence, I'm struggling to find my grounding for why I should care or feel like anything is at stake.
Akari wrote:You know....That makes me think...They really kind of arent making "death" too big of a deal. Its like, "Oh they killed you? Here's a belt, an eyeball with your soul in it, and Henshin!" YAY!!!!!
Vashiev20 wrote:Plus i think the "you're a ghost so you cant die" kind of robs the intensity and danger from the fights
Okay, so clearly this isn't just one person who thinks so, but honestly? Especially in recent years you KNOW they aren't going to kill the main Rider. You KNOW that he's gonna be safe no matter what. Sure, you get the occasional death scare like with Drive and Gaim where they're all like whooo the main character is deadddd~ but it never holds. I don't see it as removing the intensity, I see it as removing the need for a "oh shit the main character might die" arc, which are always needlessly tedious because of course he won't die permanently.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Besides, only two people know he's dead. If he can materialise then it's not really consequential for anyone else.
Victormaru
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kaoru
Favorite Actor?: Mika Hijii
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: GARO
Quote: In the end, I am Eternal.

Post by Victormaru »

Only fifteen Eyecons split between fifty episodes?! Goddamn! That's like Ash Ketchum trying to collect eight Gym Badges within the span of three hundred episodes, lol. I hope a lot of cool non-filler things happen in between. You never know though. I bet this series will eventually start getting intensely serious just like the Gaim and Drive series did where the story just suddenly shifts into something much darker. And those series were all just happy fun and games in the beginning, too.

Ghost's floating effect in this episode is much better than in Episode 47 of the Drive series where Ghost is obviously hanging from dangling cable wires, LOL. I honestly thought he was going to fly in like that all the time like he did in the Drive episode; that was absolutely terrible. I also like his dive kick as he performs it instantly and low to the ground. Not sure if he'll have other variations later on or if this is going to be his normal dive kick, which I hope it is 'cause it's different and actually looks quite powerful.

I still can't believe the Ganma murdered Takeru in the beginning. Like, really? Write that one down in the tokusatsu history books; Kamen Rider Ghost: First hero to die in the very first episode. I think that's hilarious. I guess only dead people can become Kamen Rider Ghost.

I gave up on Gaim and Drive early on because they didn't get serious quick enough (especially Gaim), and then they turned out to be awesome. So I will give Ghost a chance and keep watching it every week to see how it starts panning out. So far, I don't mind it.
Spoiler
I'm looking forward to him meeting Thomas Edison next episode
Last edited by Go-On Macaroni on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Episode 2 text put under a spoiler tag, future forms removed
tr0jance
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Mayuko Arisue
Favorite Band: Loaded Diaper
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Imagination
Quote: (silently fades in shadows)
Type: INFP Healer

Post by tr0jance »

Is anyone else having issues with the SD version? I was able to finish the episode, but everything lags. :( It's good, I feel a Den-O Vibe because of the changing of Jacket, Forms, If there are 15 Luminaries, then there should be 15 forms right? Luminaries, I keep saying Iluminaties, anyway Edison? I go with Tesla for the lightning\greatest inventor, that other guy, he might be a Rider as well. Well hope a V2 will be release soon so I can re-watch this episode.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”