Kaigan KR Ghost 01

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Rating

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:03 am

☆☆☆☆☆
18%
☆☆☆☆
47%
☆☆☆
23%
☆☆
9%
4%

Total votes: 57
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Gym!

Re: KR Ghost 01 released

Post by Dragg »

Okay, that's probably the worst belt I've seen so far. It's like Ghost has a marble block glued on his crotch.

But overall, I like his design. Although I find it off-putting that his design seems to contrast his personality.
He looks so cool and muscular, but he talks and acts like a prepubescent teen. I would probably be happier if someone like Onari was the main character.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
Renigami wrote:Not too fond of the bike though, and amongst being the showy first episode, had to fit in bike-fu too.
Speaking in general here, not just at you, but after a year of a car rider, are we really griping that a Rider has a motorcycle again?
No, but compared to past bike designs, this dirt bike design is really naked to me. Even Gaim's bikes had character and stand out detail and Fourze as well for comparison.

More bike-fu please. It has been long since bike-fu was really in a series. Wizard, despite having the same style bike (dirt bike) did not do much with that.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

The first episode was... well, it was pretty much a first episode. I want to see where episode 2 goes before getting too judgmental, but this first episode didn't really resonate with me. The lack of gravitas towards the hero being dead is more than a bit jarring.

Also, is it me or does anyone else find the henshin effect kind of lame? Gaim had the fold-down parts, Drive had the outline of the suit appearing around him before assembling on him. Ghost just gets a simple semi-transparent composite, some particles, and he's done. I suppose it's meant to keep the viewer's attention on the glowing suit, but it's still kind of low-key after the past few seasons.
Akari wrote: Thats my first thought. Since every Hesei Rider, as far as I can remember, took place over one year. So either they plan to change that or more likely the 15 Eyecons is only the first story arc.
That's my thought as well. Keep in mind that 98 days is exactly 14 weeks. And he needs to collect 14 more Eyecons. That's way too precise to be an unintentional coincidence.
Artimid
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: Kaigan KR Ghost 01

Post by Artimid »

Wow, been a while since I've downloaded anything or watched any of the series (tried Wizard, liked the costume and the fighting but the story lost me after a bit). ^_^ So I figured I would buckle down and watch one from the beginning and just stick with it.
First thought was same as others, that they killed him. Waterfall scene was a bit odd, and the Sennin clearly has the power to impact the normal world, as shown by him just knocking them all down to explain how Ghost should use his form.
I do NOT like that little toy that floats around him, that's just cheap design.
The belt looks like something out of the 80s, like maybe a Ghost Busters toy or something. I am interested to see what they do with the historical figures though. I was sort of hoping they would have a trench coat like Wizard, this one looks like something from a manga with a super muscled guy wearing a jacket that is 3 sizes to small to fit on his chest. :p But it could grow on me.

I did like the music, I liked the villain costume designs, I liked the fight with Musashi's soul. I expect more from that and hope they do something with the sword in his head... maybe turn it into a Rider Kick or something with a second rider using him as a sword to slash? lol
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Dragg wrote:Okay, that's probably the worst belt I've seen so far. It's like Ghost has a marble block glued on his crotch.

But overall, I like his design. Although I find it off-putting that his design seems to contrast his personality.
He looks so cool and muscular, but he talks and acts like a prepubescent teen. I would probably be happier if someone like Onari was the main character.
Oh yeah, it just occurred to me too. Takeru's actor has a small build, but due to Takaiwa still being a main Rider's suit actor and the suit was build to accommodate Takaiwa's body, Ghost does seem to contrast on Takeru's personality. Which is weird since Toei managed to pull it off with Den-O.
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Post by D_B »

takenoko wrote:I didn't really care for it, but it's just the first episode. Sometimes Rider shows do this thing where it's like "Everything's got to be silly and quirky". It works in Agito and Ryuki because we've got monsters that are seriously terrorizing people and the quirk works as a balm for the harshness of that world. Here, the protagonist wears loud clothing and the head priest's name means "fart" in Japanese. And his female friend is his big sister and annoying. A Sculley she is not. To get back to my point, in a world where death has no consequence, I'm struggling to find my grounding for why I should care or feel like anything is at stake.
Sums it up nicely.

The fact that in the first moments of the show, potentially DOZENS of human lives were taken, including several small children (3:53-4:00, I cannot imagine anyone surviving that) *SHOULD* have made me feel like these "evil ghosts" were a real and immediate threat to all of humanity. Learning over the course of the episode that they did these things completely unseen, causing mass panic, *SHOULD* have made the plight of their victims resonate with me. Instead, the show took a twist from "very serious" to "silly and not funny" with the mailman less than a minute later (4:44-4:56)... proving that these "evil ghosts" are not dangerous as much as they are "bored" (and kinda boring, if I am completely honest).

By the end of the episode, I was left wondering if those lives taken at the beginning were even a real loss, in light of the "fluidity" surrounding the state of death in this series.

Plus... if the main Rider is "immune" to death, and being "killed" only causes pain "as bad as death"... what's ever really going to be at stake?

Meh. I'll keep watching. I rate it a 3.0 and "pretty underwhelming" as a first episode. If it hasn't really gotten my attention by 9 or 10 episodes in, I will stop watching it.

On a positive note, I *DO* really like the "Icon Trivia". If that is a weekly staple, it could keep me downloading and flipping through, if only for that element.

Lunagel wrote:Okay, so clearly this isn't just one person who thinks so, but honestly? Especially in recent years you KNOW they aren't going to kill the main Rider. You KNOW that he's gonna be safe no matter what. Sure, you get the occasional death scare like with Drive and Gaim where they're all like whooo the main character is deadddd~ but it never holds. I don't see it as removing the intensity, I see it as removing the need for a "oh shit the main character might die" arc, which are always needlessly tedious because of course he won't die permanently.
Fair enough, but my concern is that he cannot even be STOPPED by being injured in a fight. He was struck again by what seemed to have been a really hard, bad hit... and was told he cannot die, he can only feel the pain like he was dying. It doesn't just take death off the table, it takes being stopped by grave injury off the table. It's a pretty big deal, potentially.
Arigomi wrote:I'm surprised that they wasted no time in busting out a second form for Ghost despite it only being the first episode.
I felt shades of Den-O. He got a "base form" that was... well, it was more useful than Den-O's, anyway... but then got his "Sword Form" upgrade right away. It's not all that odd, from my perspective.
Last edited by D_B on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please delete this account.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Sure he can't "die" right now but it doesn't mean there aren't things at stake like his friends, other people, and even his actual life. He's on borrowed time. I probably assumed that if he fails to collect 15 Eyecons after the 99 days, he can't go back to the real world ever again. He might even non-exist at that point.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

I like it. A somewhat lighthearted show about a guy stuck between life and death who fades in and out of the physical plane at more or less his will. Sounds like a fun premise even without the whole action hero thing.
And yeah - it does not sound like the 15 Eyekons will be the end of it. Though I do wonder how it will all end - whether he becomes a plain human again in the finale or keeps his ghost status, only without the time limit.
Regarding the Garo parallels - I did not even have Kaoru's 100 days of horror-bloodedness on the radar anymore, I thought Akari's comment on page 1 was about the armor's 99.9 second limit. But yes, the Kaoru thing makes more sense. Though I doubt a Barankas fruit would help Takeru much.
Artimid
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Artimid »

I actually am curious about his body poofing. Is that what happens when you die in that world (they seemed pretty shocked if that was the case)? Or is he not really dead because his body was vaporized and he is using it now as a ghost form... or, if he gets the 15 Eyecons, can he not really come back?

If he is actually USING his body, but in a magical sense - than I would imagine he can actually die, or lose body parts, etc.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Which of course leads to the joke someone always has to make in shows like these... So, did their clothes die with them? Are, are clothes ghosts all along and we just, secretly have technology to make us be able to wear ghosts as fashion?
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
bluegreen
Infinity

Post by bluegreen »

Phoenix512 wrote:
bluegreen wrote:
It's refreshing to see a Kamen Rider actually ride something for a change, but I'm unclear how a ghost rides a motorcycle when he can't touch anything else.
It's a ghost bike.
Oh. Thank you. I can work with that.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

Kogashi wrote:Which of course leads to the joke someone always has to make in shows like these... So, did their clothes die with them? Are, are clothes ghosts all along and we just, secretly have technology to make us be able to wear ghosts as fashion?
I always attribute that to how you see yourself before you die. If your self image is you're wearing these clothes you see your ghost in these clothes. It's hard to explain.

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

[quote="Akari"]
Thats my first thought. Since every Hesei Rider, as far as I can remember, took place over one year. So either they plan to change that or more likely the 15 Eyecons is one toy a week

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

When it come sto Ghost: Pretty neat idea with form change, being jacket. Makes sense with cartoony look of the ghosts in media. Also, love that his main weapon becomes weapon for other form, although i don't know how far will that go. Musashi form look spretty neat, even if little silly with katana handle as hair but....Normally i would be more thrilled at Rider fusing with Musashi, buuuuut i am reading Baku dou soooo when ep comes with a baddie kicking Ghost at Musashi form....I will probably be grinning.....Eh that master Troll Musashi... Still, overall love motive with this new series, and those souls of famous peoples, quite some possibilities in here~~ (deluding himself into seeing someone from Poland as Ghost form), i'll need to look more closely at his driver to determine whenever it sucks, or actually makes some sense.

As for the rest: Soon girlfriend science nerd...Yeaaaah, for most time such characters gets annoying, cos they look like a already flandilized character, becos of all that science talk like "Soul can't burn, burning happens becos..." who talks like that? No one. No one is so into science and that stupid, that he can't understand such simple things. Don't care for her.

Monsters design is realyy cool, me likey. Plus once again, were back to dying civilians, hooray \o/.....wait....

Oh, and sennin will be evil, and our protag won't return to life.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Akari wrote:
Akari wrote: Thats my first thought. Since every Hesei Rider, as far as I can remember, took place over one year. So either they plan to change that or more likely the 15 Eyecons is one toy a week
Ghosts writer is better known for writing J-Drama. It's possible that the 99 days thing still sticks with real time and that the revival is taken care of or handwaved at the end of the first arc and something else becomes the problem.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”