Rating Poll: Decade or Post-Decade Rider shows

For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet

Do you like the older Rider shows (Kuuga-Decade) or the newer ones (W-Ghost)

Old shows (Kuuga-Decade)
44%
New shows (W-Ghost)
56%

Total votes: 9
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Rating Poll: Decade or Post-Decade Rider shows

Post by wisdomcat »

What I mean with Decade is shows from Kuuga to Decade and with Post Decade its Fourze to Ghost. What did you like the most of these shows? Do you prefer shows after Decade or the older shows? Personally I liked the Decade era shows more since they had a different tone to it unlike the newer shows. I'm sure there was a post about something like this but its always fun talking about this topic.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Rating Poll: Decade or Post-Decade Rider shows

Post by Catastrophe »

I wouldn't say I prefer any particular group of shows over the other. As it stands now, there is one pre-Decade (Hibiki) and one post (Wizard) that I didn't really like.

You can definitely tell that Decade set up a different tone in regards to the 'collect it all' merchandising for the belts. That's probably the one thing that annoys me the most about everything post Decade. W was fine, but then you get OOOs with all the medals, Fourze with all the switches and so on. That means you have some powerups that are used once or twice because they have proper other forms that get the job done.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'm gonna have to disagree with the "different tone" thing, because Den-O and Kiva were definitely closer to Foruze and Wizard in tone than to Kuuga or Blade. Not quite as many collectible small things, but lots of big things.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

There are good things about both, but I've noticed I have a stronger bias towards the post-Kiva shows compared to the pre-Decade shows.

When I went through the older KR series (started early this year and currently mid-way through Gaim), I saw that they seemed to carry a series-long story arc better than the newer series. Agito, Ryuki, and Kiva stick out in my mind with that being considered, where they didn't really focus much on individual baddies each week. That snuck its way into the newer series, especially with Fourze putting a heavy emphasis on the monsters, while Gaim seems to have no MOTW whatsoever. That said, if the series is going to do the long-play story arc, it needs to be engaging for it to really stick to all viewers, which is where some of the pre-Decade shows lost me. Despite everyone here loving the series, Kabuto and Blade are my least-favorite of all the KR series I've watched so far, and Den-O got a little tiring towards the end as well. Looking back, Hibiki is the only pre-Decade show that I would watch a second time. So far, there have been no post-Kiva shows that I really hated at all. Even Decade is in my favorites, and after watching it a second time I was able to understand what the show did, what the story was about, and how it connects the pre-Decade era to the post-Decade era. After that, I sort of wonder why Decade is lumped in with the first 9 riders, but then again he's not really a good fit for anything after him either.

The only thing I don't like about the newer shows is what Catastrophe mentioned: all the freaking collectibles. OOO was pretty wild on how many different medals there were, but Fourze took it to a new level. I saw the leg-chainsaw in a picture the other day and wondered if that was actually ever in the show. Luckily, that seems to have been the peak so far, however I've seen a lot of pictures of Drive in different forms...
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Leg chainsaw was in the first episode. I remember because I rewatched that fight so many times because it was sweet.

I agree with your point about Kabuto. The story falls apart towards the end, but the fight scenes are so awesome that it kind of counteracts it.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I've seen Ryuki, Blade, Kabuto-present. There's only a few shows that didn't fall off plotwise near the end. In my opinion Blade, W, Fourze, Gaim all had amazing stories.

I like some older riders, I like some newer riders. You really can't put a line and say that Pre-Decade were the best or Post-Decade.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki

Post by Jehal »

I can't really say I like one era over the other, because I don't really lump the series together by era when comparing them.
My five favorite series, in no order are Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, W, and OOO. I like them all for different reasons.
That collectible stuff didn't bother me in OOO, because the different forms were interesting. Fourze was rough in that department, though.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Hmmm... on the one hand, Agito, Faiz, the first half of Hibiki, and Den-o, but Ryuki. On the other hand, W, Fourze, and Gaim, but Wizard... hmmm... this is a though one...
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT

Return to “Kamen Rider”