Ninninger 37 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.

Rating

Poll ended at Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:39 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆☆
45%
☆☆☆
9%
☆☆
9%
No votes

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger 37 sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

<Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Last week's rating: 3.93 / 5 (Up .2)

In case it wasn't obvious, this episode's an homage to classic RPGs (specifically the Dragon Quest series). I thought it was a lot of fun, but it was dumb that they didn't fight in costume or do anything related to their role in the game. It would have been nice if the three traits were Power, Courage, and Wisdom to do a side nod to the Zelda series.

Kinji... is acting strangely at the end? Feels like we just dealt with his stuff, so I wonder what's up.

Preview:
Spoiler
Oh man, Tsubasa guest stars? Amazing!
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Ninninger 37 sanjou!

Post by PHurricane »

This episode was surprisingly fun. It helped that the costumers and visual effects department went the extra steps to make it look like a real RPG game. Plus, we got some interesting insight into the Finishing Shuriken. Stealth plot!

Speaking of costumes, they’re really getting their mileage out of that pepper costume of Takaharu’s. And something I’ve been wondering since the preview last week - did Yakumo really have to wear a dress in order to be a mage? I thought maybe it was just a wizard robe, but on closer look it really is a dress with a cape.

Kinji, we just got over your will-he-betray-them arc. What is with all the suspicious brooding throughout the episode?
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I'm surprised that Nagi didn't throw away the instruction manual since most people don't read them anymore.

It looks like Kinji might have given up on the race to become the Last Ninja. He originally wanted to get the Finishing Shuriken to undo what happened to his father and brother. Nagi's decision during the game to keep fighting instead of using the Finishing Shuriken may have highlighted how Kinji never really wanted to become the Last Ninja.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Maybe this is due to Nagi's poor initial characterization, but he's a manual maniac. Remember his earlier story where he did everything by the book? Anyway, in his profile on the TV-Asahi website, he loves books and taking tests to help potentially get jobs. It's like the writer went back to his notes to do this episode.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I was looking forward to this episode, but like takenoko said, all they did was dress up and didn't really do anything specific to their class. Well, Yakumo, kinda, but he always uses magic. They didn't even fight in costume, they just transformed. Seriously? Laaaaame.

Takaharu wasn't totally unbearable, which was a plus, I guess.

Hello random white dude!

Preview: *FANGIRL SQUEAL*
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

[22:25] <takenoko> white prince = prolly because all fantasy takes place in europe or pseudo europe?
[22:25] <takenoko> I actually tried to look up the actor but he's not listed in the credits
[22:30] <MiniLuna> yeah, all I'm getting is prince of tennis results
[22:35] <MiniLuna> it's odd he's not listed in the credits, usually they have to be listed if they're part of a company
[22:36] <MiniLuna> that says to me he's probably some dude who works at toei that they shoved in for two lines
[22:46] <xiiliea> asian grandpa king gave birth to white prince! logic!
[22:47] <MiniLuna> first off I don't think that's what they were going for
[22:47] <MiniLuna> and second off I'd be very impressed if grandpa gave birth to anyone XD
[22:47] <takenoko> ooh, like an affair with a white lady
[22:47] <takenoko> maybe an itallian ladi?
[22:47] <takenoko> bueno giorno
[22:50] <MiniLuna> that... would actually make sense
[22:51] <MiniLuna> random prince in the woods is true last ninja successor
[22:51] <MiniLuna> headcannon accepted
[22:51] <takenoko> we've just written a better side story than the actual ninnin writers
Barim
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: SS: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Queen

Post by Barim »

takenoko wrote: [22:51] <MiniLuna> random prince in the woods is true last ninja successor
That reminds me there still has been nothing to contradict Kinji being another grandchild of Yoshitaka...

Like others have commented on. If they're were just going to do turnbased stuff, why even use the suitactors, I'm sure all six of the main actors can swing or point their weapons without hitting anything...

Preview:
Spoiler
Preview hype, preview hype, going slightly mad, going slightly mad...
Spoiler
Once the Heron to set his path,
Twice the Heron to name him true,
Once the Dragon for remembrance lost,
Twice the Dragon for the price he must pay.
tr0jance
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Mayuko Arisue
Favorite Band: Loaded Diaper
My boom: Imagination
Quote: (silently fades in shadows)
Type: INFP Healer

Post by tr0jance »

They can share power ups huh, I thought the Yokai Blade pick gold, but I guess everyone can use it. Meh, I hope they did a specific power up per color, like Red has thr Sky Otomonin, gold has the sword, and the rest has theirs? Less time I guess, I wish the word also has his own Otomonin but, this series doesn't foucus on mecha that much, well they brought back UFOmaru, that's nice.
zigmenthotep
Adventure
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zigmenthotep »

Simultaneously pleased and disappointed, the detail put into the genera parody was great, but it could have been amazing. I've never been disappointed to see a transformation before.

Spoiler
Finally, what I've been hoping for ever since Yakumo first pulled out a wand!
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I love all the small references to Dragon Quest... The mirror originally coming from DQ2 the Goof-off class. Clearly whoever wrote this episode spent hours with the original three NES games.

Next episode preview.
Spoiler
MagiYellow and Blue gets his power up Episode 38, what is this?! Did this show finally figure out how to become good?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

As a big Dragon Quest fan, I really enjoyed this episode. Love the references thrown in with the spare party members chilling in the 'wagon'.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

In three episodes, Nagi has gone from useless lump to ninja badass. Who saw that coming? Makes me wonder if they'll have a similar run to make Fuuka a more prominent character. Fun episode though, got me laughing in parts which is a big plus!

Maybe I missed something in the last episode, but I'm kinda trying to figure out the red Ichibanto sword. I thought that was part of the Super StarNinger package, but Nagi had it when they left the game. For a moment, I thought we were going to see Super KiNinger, but nope.

Next Episode:
Spoiler
Please throw in some Go-Busters/Masato Jin references with Tsubasa's appearance :D
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

So, anyone else get a Princess Precure vibe off of the Last Ninja's virtues?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I thought the virtues were just a riff on Zelda's three thingies. Strength, Kindness, and Determiation compared to Zelda's Power, Wisdom, and Courage.

Also, the mirror was used in DQ 2 to reveal the Princess of Moonbrook. The goof off was in Dragon Quest 3. Most combat messages in the translation were constructed to be as close to the Dragon Warrior 1 dialogue as possible. As people know, I like to do my research when working on these translations. So it was fun to look up random Dragon Warrior/Quest stuff for this. I made a list on the wiki in the trivia section of the major homages.

I also like that they fight the Jukkarage, and then the next enemy they fight is a Ghost Jukkarage. In my mind, I imagine it's the ghost of a Jukkarage that they just killed. It's also pretty fitting since the Ghost monster is a level 4-5 monster in Dragon Warrior, so it's very early on.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

As pretty much everyone else has noted, this episode started out really strong. Far stronger than I was expecting with the preview last week, which if anything set this up to be another worthless filler episode. Instead the RPG aspects were hilariously well done, and they nailed everything from the music to the graphics (even the dang copyright notice is spot-on). So clearly I wasn't alone in feeling disappointed when they transformed. It has to happen, it's Sentai, but more RPGing and less MOTWing would have really put this episode over the top.

On a side note, I was tickled pink by how nonchalant the guidance councilor was about Nagi wanting to be a ninja. As absurd as it sounds, he took it completely seriously and had Nagi investigate it like a real career. It's a great example of letting the humor be subtle. Also, I got a good chuckle out of UFOmaru doing the wasshoi pose at the end.

I am however more confused than ever about the Finishing Shuriken now. Does Troll-Grandpa have it? What exactly is the full range of its abilities? I don't fully understand why we're seeing it now (other than the obvious fact that we're approaching the final stretch).
PHurricane wrote: And something I’ve been wondering since the preview last week - did Yakumo really have to wear a dress in order to be a mage? I thought maybe it was just a wizard robe, but on closer look it really is a dress with a cape.
Oh man, you're right! :lol: Costuming must have really been in a hurry on that one.

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”