Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Iron-Blooded Orphans

Post by TypicalStandUser »

It's Gundam with actual teen/child soldiers becoming the A-Team. It's also emotional ride that pits a revolution-seeking princess to abandon her naivete, realize the consequences of her own actions and maturing into a maiden fit to diplomatically turn Mars into its own planet.

The robots are simpler and beautiful to look at. It also has some 'ripped from the headlines' segments and a sizeable voice cast in both Japanese and English (later this year) to boot.

It's a good Gundam anime from Mari Okada. Feel free to share what you guys think.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Post by Catastrophe »

It's shit.

Gundam hasn't been good in a while, but currently it's on life support. IBO has more stuff occurring off screen than on it it ruins the immersion.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Are you sure you're not talking about Reconguista in G because that was horrible? This is one of better Gundam shows in years. Maybe give Gundam Thunderbolt or Gundam the Origin a try as well.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I couldn't get into IBO either.
I mean, I liked s1 of Build Fighters, I got 2 eps. into BF:Try before dropping, G-Reco I'll likely finish up sometime.. so, y'know, I am open up to new Gundams but I got 2 episodes into IBO and man, I don't know what it was about that 2nd episode (either the long, draggy infodump or just everything else) but it just turned me off and I felt I'd rather spend my time with other shows.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Phoenix512 wrote:Are you sure you're not talking about Reconguista in G because that was horrible? This is one of better Gundam shows in years. Maybe give Gundam Thunderbolt or Gundam the Origin a try as well.
No, I do mean IBO. I mean RIG was shit as well, but that was Tomino so that was to be expected.

Origin I'm watching and Thunderbolt I've read some of. Both are definitely fun, that's for sure, but it's hard to fuck up anything set in UC.

The sad thing was that S1 of Build Fighters was legitimately the best thing to happen to the franchise in a long time, and then they somehow managed to fuck that up with Try because they wanted to push more model kits.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Good old UC fan that thinks every AU Gundam is probably bad.

Mac, I really think you will hate yourself after watching all of G-Reco.

One of the things I like about IBO is that there isn't necessary a mecha fight in every episode. It makes the mecha fights more meaningful when they do happen. I do suggest trying IBO again.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Not even that big of a UC fan. I'm one of the few people that like Wing and OO 2nd Season. Just at this point I know that there is a better chance I'll enjoy it than something new.

Problem I have with IBO is the thing you like. I kind of prefer my giant robot cartoon to have lots of giant robots fighting. The kids at war combined with the slice of life stuff thrown in just doesn't really appeal to me.

I just feel that there was a good peak with the 1st season of OO and then after that there have been various attempts to try and make something new and exciting that have just fallen flat. But it doesn't matter because Sunrise will keep making shows so Bandai can push gunpla and I'll still watch it because I'm hopeful it get better.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... I am loving Iron Blooded Orphans so far. Instead of being more, symbolic space policies of 'well neither side is fully in the right' it doubles down and makes the story about well, space politics. To the point where a plot line is a union armed revolt being a set up and excuse to gun down those speaking out against their unfair treatment. While a lot of the throw away villains are cartoonishly evil, or slob like, or have a pig nose, the only actual villain I really dislike in Ein. I love Naze and his crew because not only is he #LivingTheDream, but he straight up is presented as a good ultra husband/dad as oppose to someone who just likes having women draped over him. I want to see Orga snap to such a violent extreme that he becomes the next villains cause since episode 1 I HAVE NOT TRUSTED HIM TO STAY SANE... his armed, and violent take over of the military force that owned them I feel, being more than enough proof than I need of how little to trust him.

There's not much I really have to gripe about as I watch. Maybe the pacing isn't the best for most, but you can't just front load a show with constant combat and keep people engaged... Also the hair, is a tad magic. Like, pointing in different directions cause why not, or getting all of Kudelia's hair up into a space helmet, or making it magically shrink into a normal looking formal bun... And one episode had a weird, quasi slam against english lettering as Mika finds the Japanese characters as 'prettier'... But those are minor enough things that do not distract me from the show.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT

Return to “Gundam”