Super 8 Ultra Brothers released!

Unlicensed series, movies, recaps, and more.
Forum rules
Wiki Link

Ratings

☆☆☆☆☆
75%
☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 4
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Super 8 Ultra Brothers released!

Post by zeta_gundam »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Chou_Ultra_8_Kyoudai

Wait what?! Bet no one expected this, right? After all, this film came out 8 years ago...

So why did we do this? Well, it's Ultraman's 50th anniversary year this year. (Yes, Ultraman's older than Super Sentai and Kamen Rider.) Additionally, it's Ultraman Tiga's 20th anniversary year. This movie is really an Ultraman Tiga movie, hence we thought it appropriate to do this.

Special thanks to DaVinci030 who did a good amount of the technical heavy-lifting (typesetting, encoding), and even for sourcing out a work raw for us to work on it!

DV030 edit: Enjoy the MV that includes the instrumental audio track (for those who wanted to sing).

----------

On to the actual film. This film was really nostalgic for me. The very first Ultraman I watched was Tiga, so seeing Nagano Hiroshi transform into Tiga again made me tear a little. That was easily my favorite scene in the entire movie - Daigo realizing who he was, and subsequently transforming into Tiga.

The message of this movie was pretty clear - never give up on your dreams, even when things seem bad. As a show targeted at kids, I think they conveyed it simply, but at the same time, there was an amount of emotional depth that was in the film as well. I think this is what current Ultraman series lack.

I also liked how they inserted scenes from the Ultraman Mebius movie into this movie as well. If you haven't watched that, we have it subbed too! Go watch it already!

It was also rather amazing to see so many of the old Ultraman cast members back! We had obvious ones, such as the love interests of the main characters (Rena, Ryo, Akko, Akiko, Aki, Anne, Yuuko etc.), but did you spot all the cameos?

Cameos:
Spoiler
  • Spoiler
    Megu (as Gou/Ultraman Jack's daughter), portrayed by Matsushita Megumi, is the biological daughter of Sakakibara Rumi (Aki, Gou's love interest).
  • Spoiler
    Fujimiya and his family that we see at the ending scene (congratulating Gamu) is his actual family!
  • Spoiler
    Nihei Masanari (the funny shop owner at the start of the movie) was in various Ultraman productions.
  • Spoiler
    Nagasawa Nao (Daigo's mum/HurricaneBlue) was in Ultraman Max.
  • Spoiler
    Daigo's boss at his workplace is Ootaki Akitoshi. He portrayed Munakata seiichi, one of the crew members, in Ultraman Tiga.
  • Spoiler
    Kagemaru Shigeki, Rena's boss at the radio station, was another crew member in Ultraman Tiga (Shinjou Tetsuo).
  • Spoiler
    Ishibashi Kei, the interviewer, was the main nurse we saw on Ultraman Tiga and Dyna (and other Ultra productions as well). Sci-fi author Manjoume Jun, played by Sahara Kenji, was in Ultra Q and made cameos in subsequent productions.
  • Spoiler
    Azami Youko, the TV presenter, was on UltraSeven X.
  • Spoiler
    Saijou Yasuhiko, the old man who nearly got crushed by the debris, was in Ultra Q and appeared in various other Ultraman productions.
  • Spoiler
    The three people that were cheering when Tiga first appeared - Onodera Jou, Kase Takao, and Kameyama Shinobu - were crew members in Dyna.
  • Spoiler
    Asuka's baseball manager, played by Kinomoto Ryou, was the captain of the defense team in Dyna.
  • Spoiler
    Tamio Kawachi, the UN Chief, played the founder of the defense team in Tiga.
  • Spoiler
    The narrator of the movie, Kazami Shingo, narrated some of the previous Ultraman series and films as well.
  • Spoiler
    The mayor of Yokohama was the actual mayor of Yokohama at that time!
Spoiler

There are probably more that I missed.

----------

Oh yeah, and before anyone asks: No, we don't know if we'll do more Ultraman stuff in the future. The main series are definitely out, as it seems that Crunchyroll has the licenses for those. A pity, considering Ultraman X was pretty fun. If we have enough time/interest (on our end), we might consider doing more unlicensed Ultraman stuff. But as you can see on our 'active' forum listings, we have so many projects. So no guarantees on any future stuff.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Super 8 Ultra Brothers released!

Post by xiiliea »

As someone who have watched all 3 Tiga, Dyna and Gaia (and also, Tiga was the first Ultraman and tokusatsu as a whole, which I watched), this was also incredibly nolstalgic for me. The level of detail in destruction, and special effects, was also top-notch.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Easily one of the best Ultraman movies of all times.

This is what I loved about Ultraman. They are the light. They build up their trust with the people without communicating directly with the people, and their presence alone drives away despair and gives people hope. This is the biggest difference between Ultraman and Sentai/Kamen Riders. And this is what's lacking in recent Ultraman series. It's a feeling that's hard to explain, but I almost felt like I'm watching a low-budget Kamen Rider with Ultraman Ginga. (Not that I don't enjoy Kamen Riders, but different series should covey their own different themes)

Daigo is such a good character and the reason I loved Tiga. He's the weakness link in the defense team to begin with, as he has no military, no scientific background and no special skills. He was just a truck driver. He's a meek character with a strong heart and its always satisfying to see him overcome his weakness and find his way.

And as zeta said, the movie underlying message is clear and easy to understand, at the same time it has a strong emotional story supporting it. All the elements required in a good movie.

For cameos:
Spoiler
- Kazami Shingo, the field doctor, was Kido in the Ultraman Cosmos movies (The First Contact and The Blue Planet)
- Ban Anri, the idol pitcher, was S in UltraSeven X.

* The jets that flew beside the Nippon Maru are the fighter jets that appeared in the respective TV series
* Baseball was also an important part of Asuka's life in Dyna.
* Asuka's baseball manager told Asuka "Don't get lost in space" , referencing to the ending of Dyna. And the "Roger" they said is the acknowledgment used in Super GUTS.
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

Thanks for this, also I know that crunchyroll has started to upload the Ultra series, however is it still possible to do other material, like the Gaidens from Ultraman Mebius, with Ultraman Hikari and the one which seems to be a prelude to the Ultra Galaxy Battle movie which made a debut for Ultraman Zero.
SengalBoy
Quote: Yare yare daze~

Post by SengalBoy »

You guys could try subbing Ultraman Ginga S Movie, the one where 10 Heisei Ultramen teamed up. So far nobody subbed that in english.
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

<Stop talking about other fansub groups. That's the rule. ~DV030>, its the new Ultraman X movie that will need attention of.
ultrasanto
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by ultrasanto »

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO

its about time you do some ULTRAMAN STUFF

this is indeed a great movie...i m sure you will do it justice....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH......

There was one thing that you didnt do in your GINGA run...the last Theatrical special episode...you did the first one but didnt do the second one.

Of the rare stuff ...i can name one thing that would be great .....

The ULTRASEVEN one hour special episodes that was done in between 1994 and 2002.

ULTRASEVEN is one Ultraman that is more adult and hard to understand if you don t speak Japanese....

The original 1967-68 has been released on US dvd....but i have not seen any fansub on those specials....

That would be a great series to do...

Keep up the good work I have not missed a Kamen Rider or Garo ep since you started doing them...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

ultrasanto wrote:There was one thing that you didnt do in your GINGA run...the last Theatrical special episode...you did the first one but didnt do the second one.

The ULTRASEVEN one hour special episodes that was done in between 1994 and 2002.

ULTRASEVEN is one Ultraman that is more adult and hard to understand if you don t speak Japanese....

The original 1967-68 has been released on US dvd....but i have not seen any fansub on those specials....
To answer the first question about the second Ginga special, the premise wasn't interesting to us, so we didn't want to do it. As for UltraSeven specials, I haven't seen them myself.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

This is not request <insert> random Ultraman title thread but the Super 8 Ultra Brothers thread. Please talk about the movie instead of asking us to request Ultraman stuff. If you want to request <insert> random Ultraman title, go here instead:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=984
satoru
Humongous
Favorite series: Mebius, Rescue Force
2nd Favorite Series: Blade, 555, Decade
Dreamy: Hibino Mirai
Favorite Actor?: too many...
Favorite Band: Arashi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Arashi, Tokusatsu

Post by satoru »

Super 8 Ultra Brothers is one of my favorite toku movies (after Ultraman Mebius & Ultra Brothers). Mebius was my first Ultra Series (still currently probably my favorite toku series) and Tiga is another one of my favorites, as well as Dyna.
It's really nice seeing so many cameos of actors that were a part of previous Ultra Series. It's an really enjoyable movie even if you haven't seen any or only a few of the Ultraman series (I hadn't watched that many the first time I watch this movie), but even more so if you have.

The booklet that came with the DVD for Super 8 Ultra Brothers includes a chart that shows some of the cameos in the movie

Character chart:
Spoiler

Cameos:
Spoiler
Hokuto (Ace) and Yuuko's daughter Nanami was played by Shiko, the biological daughter of Hoshi Mitsuko who portrayed Minami Yuuko in Ultraman Ace
The little girl with the red shoes was played by Iizuka Momoka who also portrayed Risa (one of Konomi's students) in episode 18 of Ultraman Mebius
SocietyBox
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by SocietyBox »

Just wanted to say thanks. Tiga, Dyna and Gaia were a part of my childhood as well.

By the way, how come this thread started in April 2016?
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Thank you for subbing this. I wish everyone played their original roles but still, an excellent movie with a great story and 8 returning Ultraman with plenty of returning supporting cast. I read the cast lists for Ginga S and X's movies and, despite plenty of silver latex wearing stuntman, nowhere near what this film has. Seriously, this film has the best story of any Toku film I've seen and is better than a lot of so called "normal" films I can think of. All around, a first class film. Thank you for subbing this TV-Nihon :)

Return to “Misc Ultraman”