Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Retsuden 05 released

Post by takenoko »

< Prev Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last episode rating: 3.17 (6 votes)
That's the lowest one yet! I guess a bad episode was pretty bad.

I ended up liking this episode, but man, I sure want to punch the director in the face for using shaky cam. What the fuck? It also took me a bit to get into it, because the first few minutes were just Yuna and Kain talking non-stop. You don't have to say all that, take breather, jeez!

I liked the stairs they went down, that looked cool. The Gouryuu being the enemy was great, since generic Horrors are boring. Plus the Gouryuu looked good, and the fight Yuna actually had was fun to watch.

I guess it's fine that Leo came in to save her. It makes sense for him and her to meet given their characters. (I briefly forgot that I had returned from the Ryuugaverse, so I was surprised to see Leo and the Zero Black Blood group together)

Damn they had to include that song. Definitely a 4, despite feeling very rough as an episode.

Other things to not watch from the talentless director Kaneda Ryuu:
Garo 17 The fish tank episode. He directs a few original episodes, but they're fine.
Garo Makai Senki 06 (The one where Takano Hassei is a hologram for a Horror tree)
Garo Makai Senki 12 The Zero episode in Makai Senki that was super boring
Zero -Black Blood-
Shougeki Gouraigan
The dream arc for Yami wo Terasu Mono
Garo Yami 14 The episode with Hyena
Garo Makai no Hana 19 - the one with Rolly playing a zombie Michael Jackson
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Garo Makai Retsuden 05 released

Post by XIII »

I did enjoy this one, I did think at the start "why do we need a Black Blood prequel", but as it moved on, the episode become more enjoyable, then there was the moment of Leo appearing, using the armor spell and then kicking ass. Leo deserves more of a sidestory than playing the bit-piece on this one.

It was nice for them to bring the Makai Senki and Black Blood stories together, gave them a bit more purpose for this ep. I did have to laugh when they started with the song, I did wonder at the start of the ep if they were gonna do that, I guess its only fitting to end the ep with that song.

That Dam and Staircase have featured in so many shows, it does seem to be a standard that if you are making a show, you have to film there at least once.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

That Zero miniseries is probably the Garo project I was most disappointed with, but one that pops into my head from time to time, mostly because I find myself randomly humming that annoying song.

It was nice to see Yuna and Kain again. As much as I was hoping they would get through the Retsuden episode without Zero popping up, I figured that was who was stepping in to help Yuna from the shadows. I was delighted that it was Leo, because he really is the perfect mentor to help Yuna become an effective Knight/Priest hybrid warrior. I like the idea that, even if she's not going to the Senate, they'll keep in contact and exchange tips and techniques.

Yuna's dual wielding (brush and sword) reminded me very much of the way Rian will wield both brush and gun in a fight. The "girls can't summon armor" rule is dumb, but at least we never have to worry about boring fight choreography.

And I was distracted by the filming location too. I guess that place is close to Tokyo if so many shows film there.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Pretty good episode. I was kinda surprised that it was Leo who was the "intruder" instead of Rei.

I don't understand why he attacked Kain though.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick

Post by takenoko »

I kind of figured it out while working on the translation/wiki. The Gouryu was probably sent by Leo in the first place to test Yuna. So Leo had to isolate Yuna by taking out old Shingo (I forget his name in this).

Stuff to point out:
-Shingo doesn't get that Leo is the same knight who saved Yuna, since he apparently doesn't know about Leo's dual class status (He only sees Leo use the brush).
-He compliments Yuna and Shingo, but both of them were defeated. I dunno, is handing out gold stickers to kids really the best way to prepare them for life and death combat?
-I was looking at Riria and she was in a lot of stuff before Toqger. The actors are a good pair since they're both child actors who grew up on Toei.
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kojima_Riria
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Yuna's final gesture to indicate who it was. Pretty cool callback.

Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

This director has a very annoying tendency to use upside-down shots for no goddamn reason whatsoever. And he's the Hyena episode director, which is possibly my least favorite tokusatsu episode ever.

This probably would have been better as half an episode, half the dialogue was rambling and nonsensical. I don't really remember much of Black Blood besides creepy white guy anyway.

Not a horrible episode but not great either.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

/me puts a creepy white guy in Luna's show to haunt her.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Oh dear god what is up with that camera work?

Pretty nice otherwise. Good to see Leo again.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote:Oh dear god what is up with that camera work?
Imagine watching the work raw where we initially screwed up the deinterlace, causing ghosting to appear on top of the shakiness.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

I am gonna vouch for Kaneda Ryu a bit. He is always trying to be different and a lot of times he fails dramatically, but there are other times that he comes up with very strange atmospheres that I enjoy a lot.

I enjoyed some of the things from that list that you put.

About this episode, very enjoyable, though I wanted an episode focused only on Leo.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

takenoko wrote: Imagine watching the work raw where we initially screwed up the deinterlace, causing ghosting to appear on top of the shakiness.

You do God's work Take.
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

I think the inclusion of Leo made sense, but I don't see Yuna's continued use of her Makai blade ending well.

Leo's advice about heart mattering as much as skill makes sense when you recall his backstory, about how he was selected to wear the armour despite his brother being more skilled. But he neglects to mention that ultimately, he can wear the armour because he is a male. Yuna can never summon armour no matter how hard she trains, and so there is a limit to how good a fighter she can be with the sword.

Also, it's not that Leo was that great a Makai knight either. So he is more of a passable priest who just happens to be able to augment his fighting skill with a Makai blade and armour.

At the same time, her training is taking time away from her training as a priest, and it shows. She is like neither here nor there. She can still hold her own against weaker enemies (like any normal priest with her level of training), but she is doomed the instance she meets a stronger opponent, because she lacks the advanced training of a more powerful priest (like Rekka) or the armour of a knight.

The concept of a female Makai priest "hacking" it to wield a blade is a cool novelty, but let's face it - if it were that effective in the first place, more priests would be doing it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So if putting a male hand bone in is enough to hold a sword, what do you need to add on to summon the armor? Does the armor have a penis detector or something?

I think about dual class characters as typically being the worse of all worlds. Like the red mage from final fantasy. He can use some crummy melee weapons and some low level spells. Great?
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

takenoko wrote:So if putting a male hand bone in is enough to hold a sword, what do you need to add on to summon the armor? Does the armor have a penis detector or something?

I think about dual class characters as typically being the worse of all worlds. Like the red mage from final fantasy. He can use some crummy melee weapons and some low level spells. Great?
Think I recall reading somewhere that soul metal is Ying in nature, and is thus not compatible with the Ying nature of females. Only the Yang nature of men can counteract the strong Ying and allow them to tolerate the use of soul metal.

Granted, this was likely conceived at a time when such shows were male-dominated and the idea of a female lead was unthinkable. But I think the series has pretty much locked themselves into a male Makai Knight-only setting.

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”