Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey released

Unlicensed series, movies, recaps, and more.
Forum rules
Wiki Link

Ratings

☆☆☆☆☆
60%
☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 5
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey released

Post by zeta_gundam »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ultraman_T ... al_Odyssey
Next: Dyna Episode 01

Wait, ANOTHER Ultraman movie release?! Two Ultraman movies in a year?! That's like a new record. I guess we'll just not do Ultraman stuff for the next four years or something then. Jokes aside, yes, your eyes do not deceive you. It's "The Final Odyssey" story that occurs two years after the main Ultraman Tiga series. As far as we know, this isn't licensed, and it's a great follow-up to the Tiga series. ("Revival of the Ancient Giant" is a pretty crappy follow-up. We're definitely not doing that.)

Tiga always has a special place in my heart; I watched Tiga when I was only 8 or 9 years of age, so it's one of those things that's really dear to me. I like the cameos made by the Ultraman Dyna crew, and even Ultraman Dyna himself (Tsuruno Takeshi appeared right at the very end). I also like that they expanded on the Ultraman Tiga mythos with the back story of the Dark Giants, as well as all the references to the original series.

Here's a list of the references from the TV series:
  • The opening scene is from the very final episode. Captain Iruma's comments about Gatanozoa is also from the final few episodes of the series.
  • Yuzare appeared a few times in the series.
  • Masaki Keigo (mentioned by investigative team's leader before the Dark Giants revived) was Evil Tiga from the main series.
  • Dive Hangar is the base of GUTS. I believe the reference to the darkness that attacked the Dive Hangar was in reference to the last arc of the series as well (Gatanozoa's revival arc).
Can't recall if there were other references, but if there were, do list them!

I generally enjoyed the film, and I like the looks of the three additional types Tiga had in this movie, namely Dark Tiga, Tiga Tornado (red and black), and Tiga Blast (red, purple, and black). That said, I didn't quite like the designs of Hudra and Darramb, especially Hudra. Additionally, the first third of the movie really irritated me in terms of the way they edited the scenes. The cuts between Captain Iruma at R'lyeh, the GUTS team, Daigo and Rena's perspective, the Dark Giants' perspective and such were extremely jarring at some parts.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey released

Post by Yaiba »

Easily one of the best follow-up movie to any TV series. We see what everyone is doing, we see some of the relationships that was hinted during the TV series (eg. the captain and the leader), and we see cameos from the successive Dyna series. With Daigo and Rina going to Mars, and what with TPC failed to perform their experiment on Ultraman here, they continue to do so in Dyna as well, linking up with the next series. No one is out of character and everything fits perfectly with the continuity, you can feel that this movie is part of the Tiga and Dyna universe.

Then we see Tiga's origin and his struggle with his dark past. What more can a fan ask for?

I loved this move when I watched it all those years ago, and I still love it re-watching it now. Thanks for bringing this movie alive again.
HyouRetsuzan
Adventure

Post by HyouRetsuzan »

this kind of event gives me hopes that X and Orb are gonna be subbed by t-n :P
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

HyouRetsuzan wrote:this kind of event gives me hopes that X and Orb are gonna be subbed by t-n :P
I don't think so. 'cause X and Orb were licensed by Crunchyroll.

HyouRetsuzan
Adventure

Post by HyouRetsuzan »

yes.. i figured that *cries in the corner*
Cassowog
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Cassowog »

zeta_gundam wrote:As far as we know, this isn't licensed,
AFAIK the only tiga related thing with a potentially active license is the Tiga/Dyna movie, which appears to be getting a new DVD release in a couple weeks?
https://www.amazon.com/Ultraman-Tiga-Dy ... 565&sr=1-4
But the listing is so bare bones I'm unsure if it's not just a reissue of the old old dvd

The licenses for the Tiga series and the Tiga/Dyna/Gaia movie have expired (the subs for tiga the series floating around online are the DVD subs from what i gather, which is good because volume 3 of the US DVD set goes for $200)

But you should be good in general, Final Odyssey was never licensed in the west!

zeta_gundam wrote: and it's a great follow-up to the Tiga series. ("Revival of the Ancient Giant" is a pretty crappy follow-up. We're definitely not doing that.)
Understandable, but still a real shame to hear since the HKs are really bad :(
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

That Tiga & Dyna DVD is an old release in early 2000s. 'Cause I just saw the old reviews by them.

But the original company that licensed the movie, Koch Entertainment was merged with another company and we can't find anything besides Amazon US site (in short, no source).

As I saw on the amazon link: If it's rereleased on Aug. 2016 with no DVD cover, then it's the bootleg DVD, meaning it'll release illegally by someone (not likely at the hands of the original company).

And so that movie is not licensed.

Cassowog
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Cassowog »

DaVinci030 wrote:That Tiga & Dyna DVD is an old release in early 2000s. 'Cause I just saw the old reviews by them.

But the original company that licensed the movie, Koch Entertainment was merged with another company and we can't find anything besides Amazon US site (in short, no source).

As I saw on the amazon link: If it's rereleased on Aug. 2016 with no DVD cover, then it's the bootleg DVD, meaning it'll release illegally by someone (not likely at the hands of the original company).

And so that movie is not licensed.
I figured that was the most likely explanation, but I have bought legitimate items where the cover wasnt updated until a few days before release and I didnt want to discount the possibility of a legitimate reissue/relicense just to help the concept of licensed toku. But again, you're right about that being the most likely explanation, but I guess if not then we'll find out in 2 weeks haha. I know at least one person who has it preordered and I guess I'll hear his angry yelling if its a bootleg :lol:
arromdee
Go Go!

Post by arromdee »

"Gatanozoa" should be "Ghatanothoa".

I'm surprised you didn't recognize this reference considering you did recognize "R'lyeh".
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

arromdee wrote:"Gatanozoa" should be "Ghatanothoa".

I'm surprised you didn't recognize this reference considering you did recognize "R'lyeh".
Because it's spelled differently in Japanese.

ガタノーア = Ga-ta-no-zo-a
ガタノーア = Ga-ta-no-to-a (i.e. Ghatanothoa)

In hindsight, I could have spelled it "Ghatanozoa". But, yeah.
arromdee
Go Go!

Post by arromdee »

I Googled that and you're right. The -zoa spelling brings up Japanese pages involving Ultraman and nothing else.

I still wonder if the Ultraman crew just misspelled it, though. I guess it's time to edit the English Wikipedia page.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

It was nice seeing the Tiga gang again. I enjoyed the movie though I would've like a little bit more backstory on the Land of Giants and how they became evil.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!

Return to “Misc Ultraman”