Zadvent
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Uchida Rio
Favorite Band: Bowie

Re: Bikuu the Movie released

Post by Zadvent »

takenoko wrote:Nope! Totally standalone.
Awesome ! Thanks !
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

I thought her extremely short appearance in Makai no Hana was weird. Her episode of Retsuden gave me the idea that she was simply the f**k-off-I-do-my-own-thing character. Daichi's episode made me want those 20 minutes back. Why on earth would they make a movie about her?

Now I want to go watch all that again because Bikuu is a totally different character to me. It was obvious that she is very much the lone wolf of the Priests, but this movie really gave me an idea of why she is how she is. I'm hoping they do more with her in the future now instead of just random cameos like in Makai no Hana. Her standoffish attitude could be the perfect compliment to Raiga's friendliness.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

I just remembered the episode where Bikuu fought Crow, then later stared at Raiga for a duel before saying she lost (Episode 18 Makai no Hana).

Now it all makes sense. They probably fought in the soul.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Huh. What a weird detail to not explain up front.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I just finished watching the movie based on Takenoko's front page post. Having not seen the Garo series it's based on (I watched one episode of the one with GokaiSilver in it way back when?), I don't really get the benefit of seeing how it fits into the larger series lore. So this is very much a stand-alone sort of review.

Overall I'm not a big fan of nightmarish/macabre themes, so this movie's setting didn't really do anything for me (which isn't to knock the movie). In terms of story/plot, I think someone else mentioned it hits a low point in terms of progression about half-way through, and I'd say that was accurate. I had to come back to it later when I could be more focused. Otherwise it opens and closes very strongly. Though as an outsider, I find the fact that the main character is a stoic professional makes it harder to relate to them. Bikuu's highs and lows don't clearly come across. Daichi on the other hand gets to have a much greater range, and as a result it's a lot easier to connect to him.

As for the action, this was very good. Minimal use of CGI to draw motions that can't actually be done, and instead lots of hand-to-hand fighting and good wire-work to give it a very physical feel. I gather from the comments and the movie itself that Bikuu and Daichi's actors did most of their own stunts? It certainly looked that way, and it makes the effort that went into the movie all the more impressive since you're now acting and doing a lot of fighting as well.

Finally, Bikuu's white costume was completely absurd. Not that I'm complaining, per se, but it's pretty damn obvious that it didn't even fit.:P
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote:I just finished watching the movie based on Takenoko's front page post.
I must use my power for good, not evil!

But yeah, you're really not missing anything. I think she had like one episode devoted to her, her intro episode. And all that happened in it was it showed her brother, who was mentioned in a line of dialogue in this movie. So far none of the Dark Slasher stuff has really played any part of the larger Garo story, except for when this movie's characters reappear for Makai Retsuden. Which can reasonably be argued as just episodes created to promote the movie Blu-ray and DVD release.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I was impressed with this movie. Didn't expect it to be cool. The plot was very intriguing as well and got me hooked once it got to that underwear battle Bikku had against Byakkai. Pyramid Head should've been a clue that Byakkai might not be the most friendliest Priest. The visuals in this movie was awesome as well. The creepy scene with Bikuu in that black and white house was a great visual. Daichi's action scenes were pretty fluid and he can sure fight. Would love to see him in more roles in the future. I was shocked with the ending. Didn't expect Bikuu to do that. Does this mean she could turn evil down the road?

Edit: Bikuu's got some serious abs in that Making of video. Good lord. Talk about motivation for all the Asian women out there!
Last edited by chronoxiong on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It seems like sequel bait. But if they don't get a sequel, it's pretty well done, because the whole movie is a cycle. Bikuu is pretty much walking the path already laid for her by Zesshin. And they were both manipulated by Byakkai.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

i just watch it yesterday althought i has been stored since last year. and indeed, i agree this movie is DAMN GOOD. 4/5 from me if i can still vote it.

i'm agree with someone up above that said the new character in Garo movie almost 90% always become an enemy later on. no matter which movie. Saya is suspicious right from the start for me, however, when Byakkai is revealed to be the ULTIMATE mastermind, this revelation kind abring it into new heights for me. the way bikuu deal with it somehow kinda looks like a fate cycle also.

daichi actor is good. and yes in here he have more background story compare to retsuden episode about him. the movie ending when they part ways also MORE COOL & suitable for dark slasher theme.

btw, Bikuu kill Byakkai who still have white orb, so does Zesshin ---> which somehow kinda bend/broke the rules for them as a protector. BUt Kouga also did the same in the Makai Senki ending when he forced to kill human, not horror. isn't that part of his punishmen he have to go to the Maryu world??

or what is the sanction of them who broke that protector rules??? does anybody know?

@take = i think this thread is better to be stand alone rather than be included in Makai no Hana section
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Sanction?

A lot of the movies in the Movie sub-forum are from the first series. Since Bikuu is a spin off of Makai no Hana, I thought it made more sense to put it here.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

oh ok then. it's just kinda hard to find this thread when i open the default forum page.
anyway it's ok. awesome movie for garo :)
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Bikuu_the_Movie

You can always find the forum thread in the info box on the right.
Aberration
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Dreamy: Naomi
Favorite Band: Crowded House

Post by Aberration »

I wanted to watch this before I watched Bikuu's episode of Makai Retsuden (and the rest of that series), but I frigging hated Makai No Hana and the Dark Slashers, and I've had so many other things to watch. But I finally watched last night, and...

I think this might be my second favorite Garo movie! It's pretty much this world's version of that familiar story where a cop stumbles onto a crime and slowly learns that his entire department is in on it. I loved how the parallels between Bikuu and Zesshin slowly revealed themselves. It was just a great story that I really hope gets a follow-up. (Hopefully with less underwear fighting though, that just looked silly as hell.)

Now to finally watch the rest of Makai Retsuden....

Return to “-Makai no Hana-”