Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ghost?

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How do you like KR Ghost?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:28 am

☆☆☆☆☆ Transcendent
9%
☆☆☆☆ Great Caeser's Ghost
16%
☆☆☆ G-g-ghost?!
35%
☆☆ Better call a Ghost Buster
20%
☆ Better off dead
19%

Total votes: 99
WoodBetweenWorlds
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger, Kiva
Favorite Band: Relient K
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Big Hero 6
Quote: "So, physics! Physics, eh? Physics! Phyyyysics! I hope you're all getting this down!" - The Doctor

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ghost?

Post by WoodBetweenWorlds »

The show was really good for about the first twenty episodes, then everything kind of stopped happening. The series was stretched extremely thin in the second half. The plot, being what it is now, probably could have been completely wrapped up and done by episode 30. The show became a massive chore to watch because each episode was so boring.
Check out my Tumblr where I review shows that I watch and talk about other random nonsense!

http://codenamewaffle.tumblr.com/
Des_Shinta
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Steve Blum
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Des_Shinta »

Leader13 wrote:I'm curious to know how much of the show people who hated it watched. Genuinely. I saw people repeatedly say how Ninnin was the worst thing they'd ever seen, but they'd tune in every week. If it was the literal worst, why are you investing 15, 16 hours of your life on it?? Or that Garo has been shit since series 1, but they've watched everything since. Switch off, go watch something else.
Well, for some of us, it's our Job to warn people of Dreck and point out the flaws in any given media...even the good stuff.
For others, they don't want it to suck so ignore that it does. Still others just want to complain or continue to view out of loyalty to either the franchise itself or the good Early episodes that interested them in giving the full show a shot. And that's not even those who get pleasure from terrible entertainment.

For me, The show self-destructed at Grateful; before that it had heart but was moving too fast for it's own good and left much of the character and setting establishment and development and other stuff (such as everything that got later recycled into the 'legend of hero Alan' Minisodes) on the cutting room floor; either assuming we knew it, or went back to it FAR past the point anyone cared. That would've been forgivable had they slowed down and explained things in a decent amount of time...but they never did, which in retrospect tarnishes those earlier episodes as well as it was simply a precursor to how bad it would get.
Kind of the opposite of Drive really, where the early episodes appeared to spin their wheels but were actually laying more important groundwork for the later arcs subtextually.
That Takuro Fukuda effectively went MIA without leaving notes on what to do mid-series, and Amazons' Production prevented things getting made so they could even Try to progress things (Such as the Mugen Debut delays) effectively crippled the show past the mid-20's.
Not helped with how the fight scenes or just some random B-plot would interrupt the main plot or story they should have been focusing on which made too many stories just a plain mess.
I didn't feel there was a character shift to Alan being a good guy as most of the development TOWARDS him opening his heart was horrifically handled that it was more like he was a sociopath waiting for his time to strike and gain power from the brother that betrayed him. Then his Dad and the Old Woman Died and...that's supposed to make him a good guy all of a sudden? You're kind of missing other signs, which could have been given before he debuted as Necrom...which was the first time his character despite showing up since episode 2..was even RELEVANT.
Hell, How many times did they either repeat of Change what the Demia project actually was? 4? 5? Why did they NOT conclude that BEFORE they focused on the ganmaizer Plot? because ultimately Demia, Despite allowing for the extended presence of the ever-awesome Thane Camus...went NOWHERE.
The final episodes Where Fukuda came back for more than filler showed how little he actually gave a damn about concluding the series right with how badly much of THAT was handled. The Makoto Clone was unnecessary since they didn't have IT sacrifice itself for Kanon so they could show it conceptualized the meaning of humanity and life a Soul--as healing 'yourself' does not reveal that same lesson for that was just an overwritten final fusion of Makoto's. Not helped that they didn't ELABORATE on it. Ganmaizers reviving again and again despite supposedly perma-killing them? both with their OWN root-power, and With Mugen overwhelming them with a near-constant CHAIN of unjustified curb-stomp battles? Ones facilitated on emotions he has to conceptualize when there's no sign ever that he lost the ability to feel them? The show ran on a ridiculous amount of contrivances.
And dear sanity were Takeru's speeches all just plain terrible. it really feels that by the series' end he learned absolutely nothing, and is taking none of the lessons he learned while being dead with him into his second life by how things went in the epilogue.

Like others before have been saying; I know people don't particularly like wizard, but at least each of it's episodes was more or less COHERENT. it was more a monster-of-the-two-parter series over one that played significant focus on it's storyarc. And by the end it made sense. I agree they could have utilized Mayu Earlier so they could get the Mages in more evenly and Kousuke seemed superfluous until they showed why he was needed in the 11th hour, but there's a difference between not using everything to it's fullest and wasting people's time by ignoring things required to tell and justify your story. That's why Wizard was Dull and not outright bad, while Ghost is probably going to be joining many people's worst-entries-of-kamen-Rider List, though how close to the bottom will probably vary.
I think It'll probably be between 5 and 7 on mine, as I've still got Blade through kiva to watch in order to see EVERYTHING; and while Ghost is Bad, it's neither insulting, disrespectful or Offensive to real-life issues or other material. Definitely agree with the consensus of it being the worst of Neo-Heisei, though.
miryoku
Adventure
Quote: Blacking tosh.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by miryoku »

Wizard 2.0, only 100x worse...
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Des_Shinta wrote:
Leader13 wrote:I'm curious to know how much of the show people who hated it watched. Genuinely. I saw people repeatedly say how Ninnin was the worst thing they'd ever seen, but they'd tune in every week. If it was the literal worst, why are you investing 15, 16 hours of your life on it?? Or that Garo has been shit since series 1, but they've watched everything since. Switch off, go watch something else.
Well, for some of us, it's our Job to warn people of Dreck and point out the flaws in any given media...even the good stuff.
For others, they don't want it to suck so ignore that it does. Still others just want to complain or continue to view out of loyalty to either the franchise itself or the good Early episodes that interested them in giving the full show a shot. And that's not even those who get pleasure from terrible entertainment.
I'd think there being much better things to do with one's time but hey, that's just me.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

I ended up watching all of Ghost or at least will end up watching all of it, for several reasons. Such as, it being the first Kamen Rider series of my channel Reading Too Much Into Things back when I didn't know it would be soul crushing, a tendency of wanting to watch something to it's completion once I get far enough in to it, habit of not dropping a toku series (one time I did was Ninninger which I plan to go back to eventually), me clearly not liking myself enough to shield my mind from this mental torture, morbid writer curiosity to see how much worse it can get, and so on.
Des_Shinta wrote:and while Ghost is Bad, it's neither insulting, disrespectful or Offensive to real-life issues or other material.
As a history nerd I take offense to that considering what butchering they did to a lot of the historical figure's actual roles and activities through out to try and make it more family friendly at the cost of the actual complexities of the figures which could have made for a really interesting clash of side characters... Though Terminator Edison is now one of my favorite jokes that no one will ever get outside of those who watch my reviews.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Honestly, I watched it because
a).- had nothing better to do.
b).- I was hoping it got better.
c).- It was still a KR show, a bad one, but for me good enough to give it 30 mins at week.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Des_Shinta wrote:and Amazons' Production prevented things getting made so they could even Try to progress things (Such as the Mugen Debut delays)
Hmm, this is the first I've heard of this. Please, do elaborate.
eijiman wrote:
Honestly, I watched it because
a).- had nothing better to do.
b).- I was hoping it got better.
c).- It was still a KR show, a bad one, but for me good enough to give it 30 mins at week.
d) I dislike incomplete stories. It's why I stick with a series until the end, and then complain when they failed to wrap up their plot threads. It's not so bad that I stopped (I think most of my reviews were 3s anyhow), but it had its obvious problems.
e) It's still 30 minutes of choreographed stunt fighting each and every week, which is itself amusing. There's nothing else like this on TV.
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

I've already watched every Heisei series, might as well keep the streak going. Plus, Drive showed that a bad show CAN eventually turn decent. Ex-Aid I'm taking a wait and see aproach, but I'm already seeing more potential than Ghost's first episode.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Wizard was better than this one definitely... I suppose that people hated Wizard because of the unhappy ending but it was a "meh" to "decent" series and the dark story was good.

About Ghost they really did too many things at the end of the show and they really make Gaimaizer looks strong and almost impossible to defeat but they took so many episodes to do it that by the end you were just asking yourself when it was going to end. Again too many forms just to sell toys but these forms were barely used on a 50 episodes show.

Alain was probably the worst third rider in a long time and he ends up being completely useless in the final episodes. Makoto was decent for a second rider but I will not going to add him to the "I'm coolest that the main rider" list.

Takeru.. well... that plot armor was way too strong... the guy can die infinite times, have infinite potential and he is special just because is Takeru... ok cool and overpowered but boring at the same time.

Probably a 5-6/10 and not recommended as the first kamen rider series for newcomers. Drive was definitely better than this one.
Final Vent!
kikaida
IXA
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Post by kikaida »

Just a thought . . . but I'm thinking that Ghost could have been half as many episodes. The premise wasn't all that bad for a KR series. The problem it seems that many of us have was that it was too drawn out. Maybe Ghost would have been a whole lot better if it were only 26 episodes?
"There is no charge for awesomeness . . . or attractiveness." Po.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Kurow wrote:I suppose that people hated Wizard because of the unhappy ending but it was a "meh" to "decent" series and the dark story was good.
People disliked Wizard because Tsuyoshi Kida's snail-pace scripts fell over themselves repeatedly and a lot of the resolutions to certain plots (Fueki, Mayu's revenge, etc.) felt very unsatisfactory. Also, the zero-effort plot between Haruto and Koyomi because lol casting Makoto Okunaga.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Personally, I disliked Wizard because Haruto never lost. In a series where the monsters are born from the deaths of mortal people as a result of inner turmoil, there really needed to be just one time where he couldn't save someone and they came back as the mid-series boss or something. Instead, he moved effortlessly from strength to strength, and even losing Dragon lasted a single episode before he smugged his way into Infinity.

At least Ghost had setbacks, though. So there's a positive.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

I respect Wizard for it's trying to keep the fights fresh and stylish looking, as well as the acting especially once Beast came in, the comedic trade between the two riders kept me engaged... But it had a lot of wasted opportunity story wise. I felt that, with what was presented and how they seemed to be leading things along, what we got was a clear dropping of the ball, more a 'we are not able to give what we said we would' rather than what I feel I got from Ghost, IE 'this is what we said we'd give you, it just isn't good.'
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I generally liked this show. It was fun. The main issue I have is that it could have been much better. As is, it's okay, but nothing really stands out about it. After finishing it, I decided that I'd rate it about the same as Drive, which is surprising since I had major issues with Drive. However, while Drive had some really bad things about, it also had some really good things - this show was "okay" overall. It had some good concepts, but didn't go far enough with them and didn't raise the stakes enough.
rubius
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
2nd Favorite Series: Lupinranger vs. Patranger
Dreamy: Patren Sango/Magine
Favorite Actor?: N/A
Favorite Band: Rider Girls/Chips

Post by rubius »

i thought it was great, i couldn't wait to see what spirit would be used for an eyecon next but one confused me... why did they choose the brothers grimm? i get musashi, edison, robin hood, newton, billy the kid, beethoven, benkei, goemon, ryouma, himiko, tutankamen, nobunaga, houdini, and sanzo. i get that the brothers grimm are famous writers but that doesn't seem to meet the standard here. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Finished Shows
Kamen Rider:Heisei Riders - Saber
Super Sentai: From Zyuranger to Kiramager
Other: Justirizer, Rescue Force/Fire

Haven't watched a Tokusatsu I didn't like :mrgreen:

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”