KR Icihgou the Movie released

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:17 am

☆☆☆☆☆
32%
☆☆☆☆
26%
☆☆☆
21%
☆☆
11%
11%

Total votes: 19
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Icihgou the Movie released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... 28Movie%29

Just finished watching this. And I can kind of see how this could be an amazing movie about an old fighter who's torn between his personal obligations versus his obligations to the world. Also, we see how his years of fighting have taken a toll on him, showing the sacrifice he's given for the betterment of humanity.

But you can't really judge a movie based on what it could have been. And his movie has a lot of good elements, but they're not held together very well, and punctuated with some sloppy editing and annoying Ghost humor.

First, the Ghost stuff. What a group of shitty characters who try to be funny but aren't. I get that Toei's trying to capture the magical quirky Rider character from the beginning of Heisei Riders, but these guys are just annoying and juvenile. I am tired of their shit. The one character that I do like, the ghost mascot, has like one line in this movie. The blue Rider maybe has two. Even with their minimal interference, fuck the three stooges that form the triangle of badness that is Ghost. At least Rider Eyecons are canon. No Heisei form though, sadness.

On to the good stuff. At least the film has its priorities straight, and gives most of the screen time to Hongou and his not-daughter. Oh, another criticism that I have is that this film is like a child, that wants a bunch of things without realizing that you can't have everything at once. Just have Hongou have a daughter, if that's the story you want to tell. Don't make him a foster parent for someone else's teenage daughter. Think about it, if he doesn't have time to raise a family because he's a hero, how does he find time to raise an adopted daughter? So you might as well just say fuck it, he's got a daughter. It doesn't ever come off as weird and uncomfortable, but it's very borderline.

It also takes an unnecessarily long time for Hongou and Mayu to meet, thanks to the comedy bits of the Ghost team stalking Mayu. Also, Takeru's a pedophile.

I have to ask again if Toei fired their old editors, because the transitions are terrible. You see the montage of Hongou treating Mayu to make up for lost time. Then you see her watching him work to earn money for their time together. Except, it's cut in a way such that it looks like Hongou took her to his part time job as a construction worker, when it's more likely she snuck after him to see what he's doing. And that's sort of this movie in a nutshell. Little to no setup and small pay offs.

Like a petulant child, you can see the movie rushing to get Hongou on that bonfire to do the cool resurrection scene. But the scene before it, they were literally fighting two groups of Shockers, and Hongou gets slammed into the wall. Did everyone agree to stop fighting so that ghost team could take his body away to build a funeral pyre? The resurrection scene is awesome, it's a great spectacle and someone's probably turned it into a cool gif already. But the emotional setup isn't there, and because of that, the feeling of "He'll just be back to life in 5 minutes" is especially prominent in viewer minds. (Also, I've never seen Showa Rider, but I'm pretty sure there's a scene of a Rider transforming out of a coffin)

Also, Neo Shocker is now Nova Shocker (or Shocker Nova, because Japanese people like to flip words when writing them in English. Have some consistency, people!) because Neo is now attributed to Ichigou and his bike. Nova Shocker is pretty good! I really like the monster designs (Trope: monster woman is just a human woman). Oh that's Nao? Dang, I spent the movie thinking it was Kaze no Shizuka again. Nao with a fencing sword was pretty cool as a villainess.

I like the movie, but it's extremely shallow, when it didn't need to be. It helps that I'm already someone who wants to get lost in the mystique and machoism of Hongou Takeshi and his actor. But it's a lot weaker in the end due to bad editing (directing?) than it could have been. Whaaaaaat, Inoue Toshiki wrote this and it wasn't terrible? I'm almost tempted to give this another point for not being straight up terrible and offensive. Oh wait, Nao's character gets killed off brutally and for no reason. Ah, that's the Inoue I know to love and hate. 4 stars.

Edit:
It's pretty funny when Takeru meets Takeshi. Just imagine Takeshi with a gaydar but for Riders.

Takeru: "I'm Kamen Rider Ghost"
Takeshi: "Wait, you're dead"
Takeru: "How did you knooooooow?????!"
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Icihgou the Movie released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

This is Kamen Rider's Batman V. Superman. While Ichigou can be perceived as better than BVS (and it shows), it's a decent movie with subpar points just like BVS. I do like it but the Ghost cast should have shorten their time in this movie.

And with all that budget, they should have included at least a Specter form and Nao's monster form. Takeru used Robin. Then again, Toei couldn't grab more money for that The First/The Next-style Riderman costume for Decade: All Riders VS DaiShocker. And there's not enough time or care from the fans to really explain what happened with Takeshi and the other Showa Riders.

I consider Ichigou the Plan A of this year's Toei Superhero Anniversary. A nice way to get audiences of old and new. Plan B, that being Jyuohger and/or Amazons, is the better plan.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Eh? Why are you comparing it to Batman v Superman?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

takenoko wrote:Eh? Why are you comparing it to Batman v Superman?
It's a ridiculous thought, after thinking about it.

After BVS' problems, I wanted Ichigou to take the opportunity to be the better superhero movie that came in theaters during Spring-time.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

I don't know why I ended up watching that whole thing. I was excited to watch this film and it disappointed in many ways. I feel like this is mostly because of the absolutely horrible editing that Takenoko describes. The transitions made zero sense and it felt like they actually made a 3 hour movie and then cut it down to 90 minutes. I almost gave this two stars but didn't think it deserved even that much.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

The part where Takeru states that he's a Kamen Rider and Hongo just stares at him hurt. Hongo and Ichimonji never wanted anyone to have to be a cyborg and suffer like they did. One good example's the first episode of V3 where the two riders initially refused to make Kazami into one feeling that he'd be better off as himself and that becoming one for revenge was wrong. They only made him one because Destron basically left them no choice, killing Kazami's family and almost him.
So, Hongo just being silent on hearing there were more Riders.. it's nothing against Takeru as much as "Man, there's a tonal disconnect with Riders nowadays, isn't there?"

That said, I did like the film. Went by at a nice speed and I think the only bit that felt out of place were the Rider hoodies.. but it was short too, so, eh. Enjoyable/10, would recommend.

>> Whaaaaaat, Inoue Toshiki wrote this and it wasn't terrible?

Inoue yes, but, Fujioka had input on the script too.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I went in with low expectations and it came out mediocre.

Plot was standard and trope-y, Ghost characters were forced in for no particularly good reason except that Ghost is airing right now, the girl got kidnapped for the what, 3rd movie in a row? 4th? Getting tired of this shit.

So Nova Shocker doesn't actually want to take over the world, they just want to rule it through business. Are we sure this isn't just an evil Google? Or just Google?

Yayyyyy Nao~ Boooooooo killed Nao. Not sure if I like the fact she's so badass she doesn't need to transform into her monster form or if I'm irritated that she didn't get a kickass monster design.

Yes Mayu, slap Hongou Takeshi. That'll really... stimulate his follicles?

Okay, the two shocker guys fighting in the bar was a totally unnecessary scene but freaking hilarious.

Mayu: *clearly turns evil*
Akari: I wonder if there's something wrong with her?
Me: *headdesk*
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

As much as I liked Nova Shocker's monster designs, I do think that Nao with a fencing sword > anything Toei could have created.
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr

Post by Blackcondorguy »

I honestly would like to know why you hate Inoue Toshiki that much. I just checked his resume and it seems the guy wrote episodes for some of my favorite toku series and not the worst ones (like that horrible Jetman episode with the tomato monster). He was even a main writer on 555 and Agito, two series that I thought most people loved as much as I do.

I haven't watched his most recent stuff, am I missing something?
Again, this is a completely honest question, no fanboy anger on my part, no trolling. Just wondering.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Blackcondorguy wrote:I honestly would like to know why you hate Inoue Toshiki that much. I just checked his resume and it seems the guy wrote episodes for some of my favorite toku series and not the worst ones (like that horrible Jetman episode with the tomato monster). He was even a main writer on 555 and Agito, two series that I thought most people loved as much as I do.

Again, this is a completely honest question, no fanboy anger on my part, no trolling. Just wondering.
He also wrote Shougeki Gouraigan, which is awful to the point where you have to question why it exists at all.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote:
Blackcondorguy wrote:I honestly would like to know why you hate Inoue Toshiki that much. I just checked his resume and it seems the guy wrote episodes for some of my favorite toku series and not the worst ones (like that horrible Jetman episode with the tomato monster). He was even a main writer on 555 and Agito, two series that I thought most people loved as much as I do.

He also wrote Shougeki Gouraigan, which is awful to the point where you have to question why it exists at all.
Goddamn that was a worthless series. Honestly the only series I've ever regretted us subbing, and that includes Wizard, Ninninger and Ghost. Even those had more worth than that trainwreck of a show
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

He wrote Gouraigan, Kiva, and Faiz. I know people like Faiz and some like Kiva, but I just feel like those shows have major problems that I just can't get around. Luna pretty much summarized Gouraigan, it's like the creators wanted to create a fake show to see women in bikinis.

It's odd, because his shorter stuff seems fine. He wrote most of Cutie Honey the Live and The First and The Next. They have their problems, but I genuinely like those movies.

I've never seen Jetman or Changerion, but maybe he's just past his heyday as far as writing is concerned. I'm sure it's not easy to write a year's worth of story and to have it be cohesive as well as make sense and stay entertaining.

I guess he just kind of pisses me off with some of the storylines he tends to use. A lot of it, I dunno, seems a bit sexist? He has a real boner for killing off the young women in his stories. And a lot of the stuff seems to feel like it has a "everything sucks" message underlying to it. Aside from Agito, I don't think I'd want to live in any of the worlds that he's created, because they're full of either assholes or nonsensical quirky people who are quirky for the sake of quirkiness.

Sorry about being rambly, but it's 5 AM and I should probably go to bed. Again, it's just my opinion. I'm sure people love 555, Kiva, and maybe even Gouraigan. People have different tastes. I just don't think he has what it takes to write a TV series anymore, personally.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

takenoko wrote:He wrote Gouraigan, Kiva, and Faiz. I know people like Faiz and some like Kiva, but I just feel like those shows have major problems that I just can't get around. Luna pretty much summarized Gouraigan, it's like the creators wanted to create a fake show to see women in bikinis.

It's odd, because his shorter stuff seems fine. He wrote most of Cutie Honey the Live and The First and The Next. They have their problems, but I genuinely like those movies.

I've never seen Jetman or Changerion, but maybe he's just past his heyday as far as writing is concerned. I'm sure it's not easy to write a year's worth of story and to have it be cohesive as well as make sense and stay entertaining.

I guess he just kind of pisses me off with some of the storylines he tends to use. A lot of it, I dunno, seems a bit sexist? He has a real boner for killing off the young women in his stories. And a lot of the stuff seems to feel like it has a "everything sucks" message underlying to it. Aside from Agito, I don't think I'd want to live in any of the worlds that he's created, because they're full of either assholes or nonsensical quirky people who are quirky for the sake of quirkiness.

Sorry about being rambly, but it's 5 AM and I should probably go to bed. Again, it's just my opinion. I'm sure people love 555, Kiva, and maybe even Gouraigan. People have different tastes. I just don't think he has what it takes to write a TV series anymore, personally.
Funnily enough, in Jetman, Red Hawk's girlfriend "dies" in episode 1 (not much of a spoiler since it's episode 1, so I'll just post it without spoilers)

And I think Gouraigan was pretty decent. If you watch it as a comedy, and as a break from normal tokusatsu, then it will be a good series. If you're trying to think that's a superhero show where the heroes are trying to save the world, then it'll be a stupid show.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

He also wrote the Jin arc in Dairanger and some really good sentai episodes before getting chosen for Jetman (such as: Red Turbo getting severely beaten to save his team from becoming Bouma monsters, the X1 Mask episode of Maskman, that episode of Flashman where Sara and Lou have to learn a piano piece, and so on). His Gokaiger episode was surprisingly good, too.

I like Inoue's writing but, I get if his writing Faiz-beyond isn't for everyone (I've mentioned having issues with them too, so hey). That said, I've become in the camp that puts some blame on Producer Shirakura rather than just Inoue himself; how else could his writing fall so far, so low, so fast?
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

It was at bad as Drive X Ghost. but still it had big mistakes, for example:

1.- Why did Hongou changed his belt and appearance? I mean at least explain it.
2.- I know people can get egoistical at some point, So i understand that the kid wanted Hongou to not fight, but at least Hongou should play the responsible part and at least be prepared and aware in case he is needed.
takenoko wrote: It also takes an unnecessarily long time for Hongou and Mayu to meet, thanks to the comedy bits of the Ghost team stalking Mayu. Also, Takeru's a pedophile.
Well technically, no, Takeru is 18 YO, the kid is how many? 16? also pedophile only applies to those who are attracted to children, when they are attracted to teens like let's say 15 or more, it has a different word, there are people that even consider it is natural, since in the past people used to marry girls when they were young.

Anyway, I don't know if you do this, but i sometimes think what would i do if i were in that situation, and in this I would have slapped Akari in the head for such idiotic idea. teacher Takeru, really? Do you forgot that he is kinda dead, and he can become invisible, intangible and can fly? fuck, what else do you need to spy on someone?

other thing I've been thinking about hero series and stuff, why does some guys want to conquer the world? I was actually surprised when Nova Shocker (Nova) said that they wanted to be an enterprise, but yet they did it wrong, they actually have great technology, they could go for the legal route, and get a freaking lot of money, enough to live the rest of their lives as they want, but no, they gotta steal Japan's energy and then try to blackmail the government, insted of just showing them that their product is better.

I think this one would have been much better without Ghost, heck, They should have done the expendables Kamen rider version, I bet they could get Keisuke Jin, Minami Koutaro and others if they jut tried, and that would have been much better than having ghost's cast.

Also somehow Takeshi kinda have a Rambo vibe to him, specially with his jacket that looks like a M65.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”