Jyuohger 27 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:36 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
9%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
23%
☆☆
No votes
32%

Total votes: 22
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 27 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 3.84 / 5 (19 votes)

Alt Title - Was pretty good till it turned into a clip show

Man, what a wasted premise. But I sorta enjoyed it, at least. It wasn't the mass of frustration that it was last week. And I do like the message that "Yeah, our memories suck, but that's what being human is like." Also, watch Memento, that's my favorite movie.

But what a empty way to end an episode. Plus, no Bado and Larry. Pretty underwhelming storytelling lately.

Bang Rey tries to straight up kill Yamato's old friend. But when he has two of Yamato's new friends, totally at his mercy (also, why didn't Sela or Tusk even try to call for help?) Bang Rey just sets up a convoluted Jigsaw trap for them.

I love Amu as a troll queen. First she breaks Misao with her insult (then says she was joking, but was she really). Then she tells a straight up lie to trick the real Sela and Tusk.

What happened, Toei? Did you just put all your money away in a vault with a note saying "Do not use until Jyuohger 28"?

Also, watch the credits dance this time guys.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Jyuohger 27 released

Post by PHurricane »

I’m so torn about this episode. It got a few laughs from me, but I’m not a fan of a clip show this early in the series. I get having the New Year’s episode be a clip show - it’s close to the end of the run of the series so it can be helpful to the audience (especially if they’re young) to refresh their memories about early events. Plus, it probably has low ratings because of people traveling and/or being busy celebrating the holiday. But as much as I like this cast, having a clip show highlighted the way the plot has been stalled for a while now.

I figured they were going for the “your memory is too perfect” twist, but the impostors knew they were impostors the whole time? That doesn’t seem consistent with what we’ve seen of Bang Rey’s prior memory creations. His power had the potential to be interesting, but I’m over him and his obsession with tormenting Yamato.

Sela calling Tusk a bride cracked me up for some reason. I also liked how Misao comforted himself with his plushies after Amu called him a pain. Nice product placement!

That last group doing the dance was perfect. Is it next week yet?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Meh episode. There should have been indications/tells/foreshadowing of not just Bird!Kaixa or Larry,
Spoiler
there had to be more on that Whale dude.
Last edited by DaVinci030 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tag since it's a preview
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's kind of funny, because so many hero shows will handle a cameo or a guest with the idea of not showing up the main hero. Like Superman didn't even get mentioned by name in the first few episode of Supergirl. Or frequent Sentai heroes will either show up and not transform or show up and transform for only a sec.

But next week, it seems like the show's getting stolen big time. Is it even fair to call it a Jyuohger episode?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

So......, how did the impostors die? Did they kill themselves? Did they find some way around the bomb? We don't see or hear about the actual cause but you figure if it's that important then, tell us. I thought it was gonna be like that one W.I.T.C.H. episode with clone Will but, nope, we can't even get that.
Also, the ending feels open as heck. I doubt next week'll actually offer resolution to it too.

Also also, in regards to the ending credits, it's kinda funny how
Spoiler
Junya Ikeda's having fun with the dancing but Yui Koike's just like "Wh-why are we doing this?", lol. The long hair does not look good on MAO either imo; the short hair framed her head nicer.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

About your comment in the spoiler tag, Mac...
Spoiler
I'd be tempted to say that the limited movement could be because of an injury, but I think character direction or costuming is to blame for Yui Koike not going all-out with the dance. If you look at the ending dance for the Go-Busters vs. Gokaiger, she doesn't quite do the same choreography as everyone else. Instead, she keeps her arms fairly close to her body at times, just like with this dance. Pretty weird, given how much it stands out.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

No one's gonna get it and it's not funny if I explain the joke but I'll explain it anyway.

クイズ・ヒントで連想アタックショック面白ダービーリーグ総本家発見選手権さま Quiz! Attack Shock from a Hint Intriguing Derby League Main Branch Top Champion of the Group - this is a mashup of the names of quite a few popular quiz shows in Japan. You've got Attack25, Suggestion Game, Time Shock, Hint and Point, Interesting Seminar, Quiz Derby, Nep League, Japanese Style Main Branch, Mystery Discovery, High School Quiz Championship, and Q-Sama. (ヒントでピント、連想ゲーム、アタック25、タイムショック、 面白ゼミナール、クイズダービー、ネプリーグ、和風総本家、ふしぎ発見、高等学校クイズ選手権、Qさま)

And then the Go! Animal-sama was a mashup of ItteQ and Q-sama's names only with Jyuu instead of Q.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

PHurricane wrote:About your comment in the spoiler tag, Mac...
Spoiler
I'd be tempted to say that the limited movement could be because of an injury, but I think character direction or costuming is to blame for Yui Koike not going all-out with the dance. If you look at the ending dance for the Go-Busters vs. Gokaiger, she doesn't quite do the same choreography as everyone else. Instead, she keeps her arms fairly close to her body at times, just like with this dance. Pretty weird, given how much it stands out.
Huh. I'll admit, I haven't seen that movie yet but I'll be sure to keep an eye out when I watch it.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

and the anniversary stuff begins.

/bangs head in realization he has to wait a week for the next ep...
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

PHurricane wrote:I’m so torn about this episode. It got a few laughs from me, but I’m not a fan of a clip show this early in the series. I get having the New Year’s episode be a clip show - it’s close to the end of the run of the series so it can be helpful to the audience (especially if they’re young) to refresh their memories about early events. Plus, it probably has low ratings because of people traveling and/or being busy celebrating the holiday. But as much as I like this cast, having a clip show highlighted the way the plot has been stalled for a while now.
All of this. I can handle clip shows near the end, but at the half-way point of a story that hasn't done very much, this is just another wasted opportunity to actually do something with the show. It seems like the only arcs of real consequence we've had so far is Larry and then the introduction of TheWorld.
Go-On Macaroni wrote:So......, how did the impostors die? Did they kill themselves? Did they find some way around the bomb? We don't see or hear about the actual cause but you figure if it's that important then, tell us. I thought it was gonna be like that one W.I.T.C.H. episode with clone Will but, nope, we can't even get that.
They committed TV-Y suicide. Technically they could have just taken the bomb off and accomplished the same effect, but I don't think Toei wants to show anyone blowing up.
Lunagel wrote:No one's gonna get it and it's not funny if I explain the joke but I'll explain it anyway.

クイズ・ヒントで連想アタックショック面白ダービーリーグ総本家発見選手権さま Quiz! Attack Shock from a Hint Intriguing Derby League Main Branch Top Champion of the Group - this is a mashup of the names of quite a few popular quiz shows in Japan. You've got Attack25, Suggestion Game, Time Shock, Hint and Point, Interesting Seminar, Quiz Derby, Nep League, Japanese Style Main Branch, Mystery Discovery, High School Quiz Championship, and Q-Sama. (ヒントでピント、連想ゲーム、アタック25、タイムショック、 面白ゼミナール、クイズダービー、ネプリーグ、和風総本家、ふしぎ発見、高等学校クイズ選手権、Qさま)

And then the Go! Animal-sama was a mashup of ItteQ and Q-sama's names only with Jyuu instead of Q.
Thank you for explaining it, Luna.:) Even though the joke (obviously) goes over my head, I appreciate understanding what the writers were trying to do. Basically this would be funny if we knew more about Japanese quiz show culture. :P

Spoiler
So I figured we'd get some kind of anniversary event in the series. But the whole Gokaiger crew?! Hot diggity!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote:Thank you for explaining it, Luna.:) Even though the joke (obviously) goes over my head, I appreciate understanding what the writers were trying to do. Basically this would be funny if we knew more about Japanese quiz show culture. :P
It is quite funny if you get it, I told it to a native speaker and he got a chuckle out of it. I'm embarrassed to say I only realized it because I watch the 和風孫本家 (Japanese Style Main Branch) myself and the three kanji it uses at the end are pretty uncommon so I recognized that they were trying to do a quiz show joke.

But yeah, this is one of those instances where you're damned if you do translate directly and damned if you don't because no one will get it. Also the only US quiz show I can think of is Jeopardy but maybe we could've put in QI or some other British shows. This joke was never going to get anyone outside of Japan to laugh.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, that's the double edged nature of referential jokes. Great if you get it, nothing if you have don't.
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

I liked this episode, but it felt like one of those budget cut episodes with the flashbacks. I half expected to see the real Tusk and Sela in separate groups just to mess with the audience. The sudden answering of questions was a good way to expose the fakes because phonies love to prove themselves worthy.

I can't wait for next week's episode because
Spoiler
the Gokaigers still rock today and it makes sense for the previous anniversary Sentai to make and appearance. I hope we get to see more keys and special powers from the past Sentais.
Last edited by DaVinci030 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: *spoiler tagged*
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

There were no fights in this episode you noticed that?

Well, it was kinda boring, clip shows usually bore me.I just kinda hope they would break the formula and have episodes more centered into the character than in just fights.

About next week
Spoiler
Are those the real Ninningers or just the Gokaigers? anyway if they are it means they continue getting powers, Decade you are falling behind
Zenuku5
Infinity
Favorite series: Den-O
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Actor?: Koji Seto
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Let's make this showy!

Post by Zenuku5 »

eijiman wrote:There were no fights in this episode you noticed that?
To be fair, there technically was a fight. Right at the beginning of the episode, Tusk and Sela fought Bang Rey and got thei butts handed to them. It wasn't MUCH of a fight, mind you but technically it was a fight.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”