Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Steve Blum
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral

Re: Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider 555

Post by Des_Shinta »

Masato I thought was an excellent villain and his death is very cathartic for the Monster he is. He is very easy to hate (to not even get into Groteque flowers), and that's what they were going for...Though I shall never refer to him as 'kusaka' due to my attachment to another character with that surname.
KRT Can go to hell for what it tried to retcon with him and Kiba, though sadly that's not even that film's biggest sin. Thank you Yongou netmovies for in turn throwing that all out and correcting things.
I still enjoyed 555 as I ended up viewing it through the lens of it being a metaphor for depression and mental illness. I loved the costumes, I really empathized with Takumi, and liked the greater thematic narrative set around him of the 'Reconstruction of what it means to be a hero' his story endeavored to be, alongside his aborted bromance with Kiba. It's too bad the show regularly dropped it's story threads and backpedaled on development so few of them were properly resolved, and it has a TON of story problems (the timeline for the maintenance workers imprisonment, in example) alongside this being probably the most Inoue of Inoue series with his tropes.
...What happened to Yuka at the end, with the detective from-out-of-nowhere coming into things to lead to her demise...that still really pisses me off.
Recommended, but with caveats that it's not a pleasant experience.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I didn't know people didn't like the 555 retcons in Rider Taisen. I guess it's been a while. But Yongou is great, I loved that and wish more toku had such good writing.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jehal »

takenoko wrote:Oh, I didn't know people didn't like the 555 retcons in Rider Taisen. I guess it's been a while. But Yongou is great, I loved that and wish more toku had such good writing.
It had been awhile since I saw 555 when I watched Taisen, but I felt like that recton was too out of nowhere. Takumi didn't like Masato, but did at times put up with him. Everything about how Taisen tried saying Takumi felt about his death just felt wrong and forced.
If they had used Kiba instead, it would've been perfect. He was a character Takumi actually bonded with, and whose death he more likely regretted. I haven't seen Yongou yet.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger

Return to “Kamen Rider 555”