Jyuohger the movie released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:26 am

☆☆☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆
15%
☆☆
54%
No votes

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger the movie released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Alt Title - Clowns, why'd it have to be clowns?

Man, Sentai movies are always at break neck speeds. But this one felt especially fast paced (maybe cuz I was watching it at 1.5 speed?) But if you can get past it, it's fine. Junko's probably more suited to writing these one off stories that don't require the cohesiveness or character development necessary to support a series. Yup, one-off and forgettable filler.

Not to say the action wasn't really pretty. JyuohEagle breaking into the spaceship was cool. And the fight scenes were really flashy.

Why did they cast a human face for the villain? He was on screen for like two seconds.

Actually felt sorry for Micchan this time. Not only did they leave him out of the initial mech battle, they also don't even have him helping Yamato save the kids. What? If you were going to save Misao for bringing the ship down, why not have him rope the ship so that it doesn't get away, then Yamato goes in and saves the kids while Misao is on the ground, doing his best to keep the bad guy from getting away. What was he doing while Yamato was fighting all that time. It makes no sense.

Feel like this deserves a 4 out of 5. Yeah, it doesn't do anything surprising, and it's formulaic, and a one-off, but that's what movies are like. If this were a TV episode, I'd probably have given it a 3. Who knows, maybe these guys will return and we'll get a little arc about other Jyumans living in the human world. Could be an opportunity for some storytelling.

Thinking about the TV series, it does seem like a wasted opportunity that there aren't more fish out of water stories. What did we have? Leo found rock and roll I think? Then there was the Halloween episode. Tusk finding a book shop probably doesn't count, since he was probably a nerd back in JyuLand as well. Oh, and I guess they saw a human wedding from 100 yards away. But you get what I mean, right? You'd think the core of the series would be to tell these stories, but they're pretty rare and don't say much about the characters. Maybe if this series had some character development or character moments that weren't about Yamato...
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Jyuohger the movie released

Post by PHurricane »

I think there was less to the story in this movie than usual, which is saying something. Yamato got beat up quite a lot. The third (or was it fourth?) time it happened, I got irritated Misao didn’t jump in to help. I’m even more irritated after reading your post Takenoko, because you’re right - they had a ready-made excuse for why he had to stay outside and they didn’t take a measly fifteen seconds to use it.

At least there was something funny about Misao accidentally fishing Yamato out of the river. Now that I think about it, it’s kind of weird that we haven’t seen him reference fishing since early on after his debut. As much as I like this cast, it’s hard to overlook the inconsistent storytelling.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Forgettable summer movie, forgettable plot, already forgot why I watched it.

EXCEPT FUCKING MASTER SHA-FU IS IN THE GODDAMN END CREDIT CROWD

Spoiler

BEST CAMEO EVER
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

Well, that was disappointing, even for a sentai movie. It was such breakneck speed I feel like there were a ton of plot threads completely ignored. How did Domidoll get the Moebas? I mean, that makes Ginnis and his generals look completely incompetent if someone was just able to walk in and steal a few handfuls of them. They tried to theme this around dreams, but why is Domidoll's dream to destroy the Earth and what the hell does that have to do with a circus? What were all the random Jyumen doing on Earth? With Larry and Badu, it was assumed not many come here. But Earth is turning into a practical Jyuland resort destination at this point And I love that CubeCondor had no reason to exist in this movie except to sell another toy. Isn't the point of movie mecha to come in and save the day at the end?

And then I realized: this movie is barely longer than an episode. Yeah, this is nothing more than a really rushed filler episode.

Hated it pretty much. And it had so much potential if they hadn't rushed it so much and had actually explored some stuff. And that's saying a lot considering I'm not usually a fan of the summer sentai films.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean, not to defend the quality of the movie, but the things you bring up were addressed. Domidor stole the Moebas from Genis. And Domidor wanted to eliminate the Earth to build his giant trapeze through it. They're not great reasons, but they were there. Can't really say that about some plot points in Jyuohger's other stories.
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

takenoko wrote:I mean, not to defend the quality of the movie, but the things you bring up were addressed. Domidor stole the Moebas from Genis. And Domidor wanted to eliminate the Earth to build his giant trapeze through it. They're not great reasons, but they were there. Can't really say that about some plot points in Jyuohger's other stories.
I get they're addressed. They're just really flimsy. Domidor just walked onto Genis's ship, past his generals and, presumably, a ton of monsters of the week, and stole a few handfuls of Moebas? And Genis is supposed to be the guy who completely pieced together Cubal's plans later on, but he let a random stranger get ahold of some Moebas? Makes him look like one of the most incompetent big bads in sentai history.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
Boukensilver06
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Boukensilver06 »

Lunagel wrote:Forgettable summer movie, forgettable plot, already forgot why I watched it.

EXCEPT FUCKING MASTER SHA-FU IS IN THE GODDAMN END CREDIT CROWD

Spoiler

BEST CAMEO EVER
That wasn't the only cameo that I saw.

Spoiler
I saw Ticket in there as well!
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

wasnt beet j stag and boss kruger supposed to make cameos too?

that being said ...
wasnt more more than a somewhat more spectacular TV episode. kind of reminded me of the older sentai movies which were about the same. was disappoint that cube condor didnt do more. it had cool features, the illusions and that condor wild combo was nice, yet, wasted on the villain. and just being a sword for wild tousai king ... it felt forced.
gekiranger has gekirin touja. that worked great.
gobusters had O0 FS and Etetan, who was awesome ALL through out the movie and final battle of the series!
LAST YEAR!
Dinomaru looks great and was worth seeing ... sadly was too brief.
if they want to put something special in the movie thats a 1 off, go the route of it being a wish like mega rangers gold-tectors. as we saw cube condor leaving with the circus we likely WONT see it again. which is fine because it didnt seem to be that important, except to the little bird girl who lost it.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

These movies haven't really been good in a while now, but this one felt like it was digging down even harder than usual. The plot is essentially throw-away quality, and anyone who isn't Yamato isn't worthy of significant screen time. As a pure action set piece it succeeds - the stunt and choreography teams are nothing if not consistent - but there's nothing good to serve as glue to bind together the action sequences. It's entirely possible to make an engaging 25 minute movie; the main characters are already established, so you have the entire run time to do something interesting with them.

This is an odd critique to make given that this is a kids' show to begin with, but I feel like SS (and especially the movies) have backslid over the last decade. Somewhere along here any cleverness has been lost, and the plots, the characters, etc are becoming increasingly simple. It feel like the show's target audience age has been lowered some, and Toei isn't the kind of studio that can write a Pixar-style all-ages story. Also, who the heck thought it was a good idea to have a movie full of kids crying for minutes on end? That sound is extremely grating, especially in 5.1.:o

As for the movie mecha, it's passable. It's not a pure repaint of an existing mecha, which is good. And the robo isn't pure CGI, it's an actual suit. Still, the mecha is essentially a kitbash of Gorilla and Eagle, so there's not too much originality here (unlike Gekiranger, as someone referenced above).
midorininger wrote:as we saw cube condor leaving with the circus we likely WONT see it again. which is fine because it didnt seem to be that important, except to the little bird girl who lost it.
Since there's a physical suit, I'm going to be surprised if we don't see it again. We're right about at that point in the main series where the movie mecha shows up.
takenoko wrote:Why did they cast a human face for the villain? He was on screen for like two seconds.
Perhaps as a perk to the guy voicing him? "Hey, [famous guy], come voice our MOTW. We'll give you a minute of screen time with easy filming so that everyone can see your face, and for the rest of it you only need to sit in a recording booth for an afternoon."
Actually felt sorry for Micchan this time. Not only did they leave him out of the initial mech battle, they also don't even have him helping Yamato save the kids. What? If you were going to save Misao for bringing the ship down, why not have him rope the ship so that it doesn't get away, then Yamato goes in and saves the kids while Misao is on the ground, doing his best to keep the bad guy from getting away. What was he doing while Yamato was fighting all that time. It makes no sense.
The sixth ranger tends to get left out of the movie a lot of the time. Still, this one was one of the worse instances.:|
Lunagel wrote:EXCEPT FUCKING MASTER SHA-FU IS IN THE GODDAMN END CREDIT CROWD

Spoiler

BEST CAMEO EVER
That was indeed a pretty great cameo. :D
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

I've not fully finished watching this (Hell at time of writing i've mostly just started it) but can anyone confirm that the main chamber of Genis's ship in the tv series does contain the puffballs from Shinkenger and the bat's from Goseiger? (the puffball is seen hanging over the bar and the bat is hanging from the dartboard)
Verfor99
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Verfor99 »

This feels rather... Soon? I don't even recall seeing clips in the Theme sequence for the series...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Eh? Screencap?
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

takenoko wrote:Eh? Screencap?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9s27hvxywk9r0 ... 5.png?dl=0

Sorry i don't know where to upload a picture properly and i'm on my terrible laptop so it takes ages to do anything, but yeah this is the scene
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I dunno. Were there puffballs in Shinkenger? I feel like there were bat enemies in Goseiger that made bad guys grow big?
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

takenoko wrote:Oh, I dunno. Were there puffballs in Shinkenger? I feel like there were bat enemies in Goseiger that made bad guys grow big?
Yeah, the Puffballs were infesting the Gedoshu's ship and would drop down to repeat something and be annoying, and the Bat's were the product of the main villain to make the monsters grow, it's been ages since i watched either show so i've forgotten the names of them.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”