KyuuRanger Space.23 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 am

☆☆☆☆☆
19%
☆☆☆☆
19%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
19%
19%

Total votes: 16
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.23 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.14 / 5 (14 votes)

Alternate Title - Sometimes a question is more interesting than the answer

This episode has me baffled. We get a plot exposition dump for Tsurugi's backstory (instead of seeing it for ourselves), but the explanation doesn't make much sense if put under any scrutiny?

At least Eris is back?

So okay.
-Why does a guy who's immortal need shields to begin with? It's like saying "I need extra armor when I'm invincible".
-So the final boss can beat 88 KyuuRanger-likes? This time we have... like probably 15 by the end? Maybe that's good enough?
-How does being immortal help you unite the galaxy?
-No seriously, what does that mean that you used your immortality to unite the galaxy? Like explain that, it makes no fucking sense.
-What does immortality mean for a guy like Tsurugi? Is he a 1000 years old by the time Don Armage shows up? Cause he looks and acts like a 20 year old guy, it's natural to assume he's not really tested out the extend to his immortality. How does he even know he's immortal?
-So okay, if you're immortal and some kind of warrior, did you unite the galaxy by conquering everyone else? I guess I can see that?
-What does it mean to give up your immortality? Like how does that help to defeat Don Armage? Did you ball up your immortality and fire it at Don Armage like a kamehameha? Are you explaining it bad or is the story just badly written?

I didn't hate the episode, but this definitely felt like 2 steps back after last week's step forward. After building up Tsurugi's merits and inserting a bit of mystery behind his and Armage's backstory, we kind of ruin it by showing that Tsurugi's kind of dumb and probably not as talented as the legends suggest. Also, defeating a guy and killing him are two different things. Maybe don't suggest that you killed him if you're not sure. It makes you sound like a braggart.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KyuuRanger Space.23 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Tsurugi-san, you're no legendary hero when you consider your previous allies as "shields", self-aggrandizing asshole.

Not that great an exposition dump either.

Raptor, Spada, resign from this dumbass.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I sort of do like Tsurugi and Raptor hanging out with Tsurugi, since it means we get more of them? It's a real monkey's paw wish though for getting more Spada and Raptor.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Immortality = Becoming a raging asshole?

Maybe it's like that shitty kind of immortality where you still have to heal at a normal human pace so if he got ripped into a thousand pieces he'd be eternally apart and in excruciating pain forever. Kind of like the same fate I wish on Lucky.

Yeah no this backstory doesn't make sense if you give it even like 5 seconds of thought.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I really wonder if this backstory is the whole truth. There is a good chance that he is telling some lies to hide his real weaknesses.

They were hinting at something with regards to his talents with technology and the abandoned lab. It seems that technology is the center of the mysteries regarding Tsurugi. He has fought the Vice Shogun before and noticed that it has gotten stronger. Advancements in technology would account for this and the lack of memory about the past could be the result of previous data that was lost or erased.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The thing I don't get is at the start of the episode he brags about being immortal but then mentions he gave it up.

Still, with this new commander (who looks like a Go-Onger villain reject) not recognising him, I do feel like there is something interesting going on with Jark Matter.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I knew there was a real reason I didn't like Tsurugi from the get go, aside from boasting how much of a legend he is which is just as annoying as Lucky's catchphrase if not more so.

First off dude is immortal but how can you unite the galaxy because you're immortal. Secondly if you are immortal why bother having making your allies be a shield unless in reality you're bullshitting everyone the whole time because you're a shitty leader and are willing to let people die just so you can hog the glory of being awesome. Thirdly what type of immortal are you, if you do speak the truth anyway, is it that you don't age, you don't die, you do die but you can resurrect yourself after a few seconds, what is it?

I have came with a revelation for myself that I could like Lucky when he's serious and hate him whenever he becomes an ass of himself, though I may still want to kill you if you say your catchphrase
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Bear in mind that Tsurugi's immortal, not all-powerful. Just because he can't die doesn't mean he can just waltz through an infinity+1 number of bad guys. At least for me, my interpretation was that his allies were his blockers; they intercepted Jark Matter's forces, which is what allowed Tsurugi to get at Don Armage in the first place. And while he puts on a brave face, I think it's clear that he regrets what happened to his allies. Which is why he tells the Kyuurangers that they don't have to fight (and insults them when they do), as he doesn't want to see the original 88's fate befall them.

Anyhow, the action was fantastic in this episode. The ground fight was nice and dynamic, and the mecha fight was a wonderful 3v3 that actually had plenty of action (and wasn't just a 60 second finisher spam), which is something we rarely get.:)
takenoko wrote:-What does it mean to give up your immortality? Like how does that help to defeat Don Armage? Did you ball up your immortality and fire it at Don Armage like a kamehameha? Are you explaining it bad or is the story just badly written
Typical Sentai logic is that you can put all of your energy/life into an attack, at the cost of that element (e.g. the Legend War). So I'm assuming he did much the same here. It's not meant to be looked at too closely.
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

This episode finally highlighted why i don't like Lucky as a character, it's not because of the typical Red lead getting shoved down our throats or the irritating catchphrase, It's hes nothing more than a kid pretending he's a hero. his reaction to Houou's entire concept is that of a kid throwing his toys out of his pram, atleast that's how it seems to me. It's nice to hear Hiroshi Tsuchida's voice again mainly due to always enjoying VA's from previous sentai returning.

Also to Answer Take's question regarding Houou's immortality uniting the universe, It makes sense, as even with what i'm guessing is Warp tech it would take beyond a lifetime to travel around the universe with the aim to complete fetch quests to make everyone happy
\gee
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: ¯\(°_o)/¯
2nd Favorite Series: ¯\(°_o)/¯
Dreamy: ¯\(°_o)/¯
Favorite Actor?: ¯\(°_o)/¯
Favorite Band: ¯\(°_o)/¯
My boom: ¯\(°_o)/¯
Quote: ¯\(°_o)/¯

Post by \gee »

\gee wrote: Uchuu in Fourze meant Awesome and Sentai means Sentai and Kyuu is obviously Q so the show is obviously Awesome Sentai QRangers. The 88 constellation thing just means there will probably be 88 rangers.

Also I'd like to note that every series in the last 20 years has had extra rangers, so I can safely guarantee Kyuuranger will have extras as well. This defeats the "Kyuu is Nine" argument because there will be more than 9.
Called it in my dumb shitpost from episode 4 :^)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I can't wait to meet the ranger whose only power is to summon a fish. Aquaman?!
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

I think Ghost has ruined me when it comes to villains with a mysterious past. I really can't bring myself to care anymore since at the end of the day (season) they still need to be destroyed somehow. Ranger infighting is also annoying. If I wanted to see heroes clash I'd go read another marvel comics event.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I can't wait to meet the ranger whose only power is to summon a fish. Aquaman?!
Aquaman jokes lost their punch once Jason Momoa was cast for the role, as he has major bad ass credentials. If they had anyone like that as a ranger... well, it wouldn't be a laughing matter.:o
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

There was bad-ass Aquaman in the 90s but the jokes didn't stop then so why would they stop now?

I personally going to say when Tsurugi shunted his immortality for a final attack on Don Armage that he really gave him the Phoenix Force instead of killing him. I don't know if Don Armage is immortal now but he might be able to resurrect like the mighty Phoenix.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I'm a bit confused how Don Armage came back, but for the most part, I liked the episode. It was good to see Lucky and Tsurugi clash ethically instead of just thinking each other's annoying, but I felt like the conflict was resolved a little too quickly.

One "Yossha Lucky!" this time.
Episode 22 LuckyCount Breakdown:
Spoiler
“Lucky”'s by Lucky in episode 22:
  • Spoiler
    “Yossha Lucky”’s: - -- - –- - 2
  • Spoiler
    “Lucky!”’s, “Luck”’s: - -- - 1
  • Spoiler
    In Japanese: -- - -- - -- - -- 1
    Total: 3 English, 4 Both

Episode 21 had one "luck."