2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Ultraman Dyna 49-51 released!

Post by xiiliea »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ultraman_Dyna_Epilogue
Prev: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=22225
Next: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=22248

Gondou is always involved in some crazy projects.

Yay no more Pluto! No more Neptune! Saturn was completely forgotten. No more Jupiter! How many moons does Jupiter have?

I'm glad they didn't forget the Black Busters.

Fire more solgent rays at the enemy's face!

Daigo and Rena!

Yazumi!

Sawai!

I really like how they had to work together to defeat the final boss, rather than "a miracle happened and Dyna evolved into the ultimate super powerful invincible form".

Afterthoughts:
Dyna was a really awesome series. I've realized something important that differentiates a good series from an ordinary one. It's the dialogues. The memorable dialogues in Dyna were written like a poem. Like young Asuka's conversation with his dad, like Asuka's conversation with Daigo. This is something modern tokus lack. Shouting "Yossha! Luck!" over and over again isn't something memorable. The writers of Dyna really put a lot of efforts into making the lines flow beautifully.

The character development was decent, though it could have been better. Miyata and Gondou, even as side characters, got a lot of spotlight too. But we didn't see much about Shiina or Fukami. In Tiga, Commissioner Sawai had quite a lot of character development. For example, I remember an episode about him flying to a meeting or something. But Fukami didn't have a single episode with him in the spotlight. All we know is that he's the commissioner.

Also, Dyna as a sequel, is a true sequel. It refers to many memorable events from Tiga, yet doesn't rely on the nostalgia factor to make the series good. It already is a good series without being a sequel or referring to events to it, and that's something not every sequel can deliver.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Ultraman Dyna 49-51 DC released!

Post by takenoko »

Pretty good. A lot of touching moments. The use of the music was excellent.

I only started this series halfway through, but I thought it was rather enjoyable.

I'm not super familiar with other Ultraman series, but I'm surprised by the actual callbacks to things from other series. Like you see what happens to characters after the events of their series. It's not like Zi-O where people basically play the same character or a caricature of who they were in previous series, with no real change or growth to their character. It's too bad.

You can certainly tell there was effort put into the writing, even if they didn't always land for me. I started qcing in the mid 30s, so I started off with the garbage man episode, then the kaiju crack dream episode, and ephemeral dreams was 42. Even if the show was obviously written for children, there were some good sci fi elements that were used.

Favorite episode of the series was 46's power to think of you. You know the writer thinks it's a good episode when he casts himself as the main guest for it.

Not sure about sending Asuka into the black hole as an ending. I guess that's his dad? Seems like kind of a weird way to end the series.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: Ultraman Dyna 49-51 released!

Post by decade368990 »

I'm sorry that I had to back out from qcing Dyna after eps 1-6 because I had to stay up very late at work for 3 months in a row.

Dyna was the second Ultraman series that I watched when I was a kid. During those times, I was only excited with the actions instead of trying to understand the storytelling in the dialogues.

I laughed so hard on episode 49 where Terranoid falls so easily because it is a mindless giant who overuses its finishing moves without realizing what it was really doing.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

decade368990 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am I'm sorry that I had to back out from qcing Dyna after eps 1-6 because I had to stay up very late at work for 3 months in a row.

Dyna was the second Ultraman series that I watched when I was a kid. During those times, I was only excited with the actions instead of trying to understand the storytelling in the dialogues.

I laughed so hard on episode 49 where Terranoid falls so easily because it is a mindless giant who overuses its finishing moves without realizing what it was really doing.
No problem.

And Dyna was actually the main thing that motivated me to learn Japanese. I had Tiga and Dyna DVDs back in the days and really enjoyed them, but the dialogues were always boring because I didn't understand them. I kept pushing myself to practice translating more and more, and I'm so glad that I finally did it!

Sometimes I wish my parents sent me to learn Japanese instead of piano *grumbles

-----------------------------------------------

Anyway, we're releasing a v2 for 49-51 extras (just a 5 minute file) to fix a translation error that got overlooked. I won't say what was changed cuz it's pretty spoilery.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Dyna holds a special place in my heart. I would purchase CDs of individual episodes and watch them with awe and confusion. This was before I barely understood English, so naturally a show in another language was incomprehensible. But the visuals, action and music stuck.

My point is that having the chance to watch it all again proper is very much appreciated.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

I know it is already later than expected but I guess it's better late than never.

First and foremost, I just finished watching this series. I can say that this is one of the best Ultraman Series I ever watched, especially since I can understand what the story is all about from beginning to end. There are its owns ups and downs but regardless I like them all. Although, the most downer part was the fact that Dyna just vanished into the black hole and apparently meet his father. Sooner or later, he made comeback in crossover movies of other Ultra Series within decades later. Of course, one of the favourite reason that I like Dyna was because they put on a cute kaiju as the team's mascot, Hanejiro. Even my little sister gain interest in this series.

The fact that Dyna was a sequel of Tiga was kind of a weird for me, especially when I think it does fine without being a sequel, as xilliea mentioned. My memories were kind of hazy but the first series of Ultraman that I watched was Tiga when I was a child. Even in my country, around that time, Tiga was actually quite popular, mainly because of its name. By the way, I am from Southeast Asia country and the reason that Tiga was being popular was because of its name. In my country, the word Tiga means number three (3) in Malay language, so you can say that its a unique Ultraman that uses a Malay word in their title. Another way of putting it, Ultraman Sangou if I literally translate it and people might mistranslated it as Ultraman 3.

That aside, I think Dyna improved better than its predecessor, Tiga, in terms of how their series played out. From a general opinion, Tiga was too heavy for children to handle, because its too dark, scary and serious. Not to mention that they showed and mention massive casualties on screen. I know that if you make a story of giant monsters appearing out of nowhere, there will be unavoidable sacrifices. No doubt about that and you cannot simply said that everyone is alive for every attack. Dyna had this trait as well but they put it at a rather minimum, and better compared to Tiga, which I think almost every episode, had almost none left unscathed from monsters attack. I can recommend children to watch Dyna as it is because its more lighthearted in general but they need to have a strong heart and resolve if they want to watch Tiga.

Yup, maybe you can say that Ultraman Dyna is as good as Kamen Rider Gaim or better, in its own way of course. That all depends on people's opinion. Anyway, it's just too bad that Hanejiro did not have much screen time because my little sister was fond of him but then again, if he does, it would be a different series all together. It would not be an Ultraman series at all. I just wish I was born earlier and everything that exist today were there too, mainly because I want to give a Hanejiro doll as a birthday present to her. Too bad, by the time I watch and mention this, this series was aired in the 1990s and I am 2 decades away to learn everything about it. The related franchise pretty much ceased to exist in present days T_T

Regardless, thank you guys for releasing this series. I never thought of having the privilege of getting to watch this because Ultraman series feel kind of lagging behind from Super Sentai and Kamen Riders and not many fans out there are trying to revive it for those who never knew about this. Of course, there are some restrictions like licensing and so on from Gaia onward but I am grateful that I get to watch Dyna and you guys released it. I'm looking forward for Hanejiro returns too because existing video on the net was of very poor quality and translation. Once again, thank you very much.
Kamenriderwizard
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Quote: It's showtime

Post by Kamenriderwizard »

Indeed. When Dyna dead in the end of series kind of dissapointing, but glad they didn't kill him and sent him to another universe. Let us hope Ultra Galaxy Legend or Ultraman Saga to be released in the future.

Return to “Ultraman Dyna”