Episode of Stinger released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 am

☆☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆
38%
☆☆
8%
8%

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Episode of Stinger released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Period
Wiki

4th period rating: 3 / 5 (5 votes)

I wouldn't mind seeing Mamiya Yuki in future toku work. Wouldn't recommend this story unless you think Stinger is super cute.

The writing and editing is terrible and you can tell that Sakamoto was just here to make sure Yuki's legs were wet and shiny and that there were Michael Bay explosions. The action was alright, but felt phoned in for Sakamoto. He's definitely done better work than this.

Which is weird since the Champ going berserk thing was sort of a connection to the main plot, but I don't count it since it's left unresolved at the end.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Episode of Stinger released

Post by Lunagel »

Dull, boring, derivative, and Sakamoto's gonna get outed as wanking behind the camera or something eventually damn man.

Absolutely devoid of anything interesting. I would rather fold my laundry.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Who gave it a 5 star rating? Defend yourself! (But seriously though, I want to know what you liked about it.)
DoctorWho1987
Favorite series: Build
2nd Favorite Series: Wizard
Dreamy: Stinger
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
Favorite Band: Evanescence
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Build
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by DoctorWho1987 »

It was me. I gave it a 5-star rating because of the fact that I liked how it seemed to give Stinger a bigger resolve to defeating Jark Matter and his brother. Yes it's disjointed and Koichi Sakamoto has done better work. (In all honesty though, the vote was a smartass reaction to a review about one not watching it unless they thought Stinger was cute.)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

DoctorWho1987 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm(In all honesty though, the vote was a smartass reaction to a review about one not watching it unless they thought Stinger was cute.)
My bad, I forgot to list Mamiya Yuki's glistening legs.

Please take this as an apology:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'd just like to add that the nickname for this movie among staff was "Episode of Stinker"
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I don't understand the point of doing shit like this if they aren't going to bother putting any effort into it.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Stinger is my favourite among KyuuRanger. So yeah, I think he is cute. Although it questions me, why he didn't use his tail so often in battle to slap or stung his enemies with poison? Well, I do like him using Spear and Axe.
friendlyquark
7X
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Bruce Banner
Favorite Actor?: Jet Li
Favorite Band: Imogen Heap
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: writing
Quote: Ca va, go-busters?

Post by friendlyquark »

My assumption is that he only uses his tail when the budget for special effects allows it. :P That's CG work, which costs more money than having the tail just dangle there.

My God, was there any single trope that they didn't trot out? Was there a single cliche left standing? The best thing about it was the slow-mo walks, but only because they made me laugh so hard. It was inadvertently funny, which is why I rated it as I did.
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

so, when will the 720p version will be released?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:57 amAbsolutely devoid of anything interesting.
I don't have a whole lot to add here. This wasn't bad - you can see how all of the ingredients could make for a good movie - but in the end it just didn't come together.

The female lead has a tragic (if a bit cliche) backstory, but it's never developed enough to really make you care. And Stinger's whole stoic anti-hero schtick makes for a boring lead. You can't tell what he's feeling half the time, and whether this is due to the actors or the direction, he had no chemistry with the female lead. Meanwhile there was a lot of things not happening here; long, slow pauses, slow dialog, and somehow Stinger found the time to record a music video?!

The action was decent enough. Sakamoto's done more bombastic and interesting things, however the movie makes light-but-good use of his wire-fu experience. But it certainly doesn't take any risks. On which note, I was surprised by how "clean" the action was. Humans and monsters alike got impaled left and right, and yet it was always shot in such a way to hide the theoretical wound, making for neat & tidy deaths. Consequently the movie has the amped up violence of a DTV Toei release but the gore of a standard episode, which is a confusing pairing.

Also, Stinger's weapon at the end was a massive disappointment. If you're going to give someone a drill arm, someone had damn well actually get drilled. A CGI projectile attack that somehow leaves a hole is a terribly watered-down way to go.

Finally, Mika's monster form came off as oddly convoluted. I get what they were trying to do here - they needed to swap out the actress for stunt actress Hitomi Sanae (who coincidentally got impaled earlier in the movie) - however it's so obvious to the point that it's unconvincing? The prosthetics cover the face and chest, making it very easy to see what's going on. But they're also such a lousy design that it doesn't make her look any more threatening. Which not to look a gift horse in the mouth here since for the past few years now I've felt that Sentai hasn't done enough with human villains, but there has to be a better way to do this. Mikie Hara didn't need to be covered up in such a manner in Girls in Trouble, for example.

Toei needs to step up their game. If future Sentai DTV releases are like this, there's going to be no point in even bothering.
takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:58 am Wouldn't recommend this story unless you think Stinger is super cute.
Along with Luna's statement, also a surprisingly accurate description of the movie.:P
Which is weird since the Champ going berserk thing was sort of a connection to the main plot, but I don't count it since it's left unresolved at the end.
Seriously, what the heck is supposed to be going on with Champ? At this point I'm completely lost.
Last edited by ViRGE on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:46 am
Seriously, what the heck is supposed to be going on with Champ? At this point I'm completely lost.
Really. It leaves us... champing at the bit for an answer.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:00 am
ViRGE wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:46 am Seriously, what the heck is supposed to be going on with Champ? At this point I'm completely lost.
Really. It leaves us... champing at the bit for an answer.
That was bad and you should feel bad. :cry:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

My secret is... I always feel bad!
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

It's actually quite strange though, many forums (like reddit) really really loved the movie. It's good to be able to hear both sides' arguments!
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”