KyuuRanger Space.Final (48) released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
26%
☆☆☆☆
22%
☆☆☆
22%
☆☆
9%
22%

Total votes: 23
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.Final (48) released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

Last week's results: 2.75 / 5 (12 votes)

Alt title: Wait, Don Armage absorbed EVERYONE in the galaxy?

If you've made it this far, I don't think the finale with surprise anyone. It's a big spectacle first, and that part is alright, and everything else is an after thought. I'm probably going to cover a lot of stuff here from the series discussion thread: viewtopic.php?f=233&t=22549

Also vote in our series poll, it's closing soon:
viewtopic.php?f=233&t=21124

If Don Armage can just absorb everyone in the galaxy, why didn't he do that in the first place? It's certainly less convoluted than blowing it up and rebuilding from scratch.

The episode starts with a highlight of the problem with the series. Those catchphrases will be the death of those actors. Lucky's actor will spend the rest of his life having people yell "Yossha, lucky!" at him as he passes. By the time he's middle aged, he'll be like that guy from Galaxy Quest who hates the phrase "by grabthar's hammer!" Maybe sometimes he'll yell back "I'm a real actor, I'm not just a catchphrase!" but it's too late. He'll never escape it.

Also, real people don't speak in catchphrases. It's been a long time since I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure even cartoon characters that did have catchphrases didn't use it in place of dialogue. They'd be reserved as battle cries or whatever. They're not meant to be stand-ins for personality.

Feel like I remember seeing Lucky tossed into space before. Maybe that was Guardians of the Galaxy though.

Also bad, Garou's flashback to episode 1 and Spada's flashback to some generic food related thing. Both of you guys have been here since episode one, at least give Spada his baseball episode as his flashback. I mean, I totally forgot about Hame's flashback, but at least she had a couple of episodes that focused on her.

Feel like it doesn't work for the battle to go small, big, then small again. It undermines a progression of drama and excitement to return to a battle that feels like it's already been won. None of it makes any sense, Don Armage can just possess anyone and seems immortal, but he dies on the third try because the episode was running out of time. No explanation, just, this was the try that worked, I guess.

I'm not saying that you screwed up by having 13 protagonists, but everyone saw that was going to be a problem from the moment it was announced. Neither the heroes nor the villains are terribly well-developed or interesting. But if you want to just underline that point, how about have all the members grunt for 5 seconds while they dramatically operate the mecha? That's a minute of people grunting!! That's fine when there's just 5-6 people, but not when there's 14 of them!

3/5 stars. If you ignore what people are actually saying or if you come in with no preconceived notions of the show or Sentai in general, the spectacle is pretty entertaining. Considering there's no emotional arc for the show, the epilogue showing everyone happy and successful is about as good as we can hope for. I mean, at the very least at least show Kotarou reuniting with his brother and giving him a hug or something. Or instead of Hame just saying she's in school, show her meet with Hoshino Minato and have them talk about life after Jark Matter. These are just a couple of ideas I thought of off the top of my head.

Edit: The Spada and Raptor semi hook up at the end was nice though.

Obviously, the people who created this show never meant for anyone to think about the show this heavily, so it's a bit unfair to scrutinize it so harshly. But it's kind of fun to do an autopsy and see what worked and what didn't. Was it the writer's fault for not being able to write characters arcs or was it a producer mandating catchphrases?

Also, if you want to do something fun, read the KyuuRanger promo released thread. Look at those naive babies, all hopeful and blissful in their ignorance:
viewtopic.php?f=233&t=20822

Anyway, what did you guys think? Did you like what they did with KyuuRangers? Are you guys hopefully for Lupin VS Pat?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KyuuRanger Space.Final (48) released

Post by Lunagel »

Hold up, I thought Don Armage wanted to destroy the universe so there wasn't any more suffering anymore? But if everyone's suffering inside him what was the point of that? Why does he want to do this? What does he really care? WHY THE HELL DOES EARTH HAVE SO MUCH PLANESIUM PLEASE I REALLY WANT TO KNOW.

This series has a really bad habit of telling and not showing, and it's ridiculously apparent in the last scene where everyone gathers. Most of them just explain what they're doing now that Jark Matter's gone and if I really wanted to hear a bunch of boring bitches talk about themselves for 30 minutes I'd go to my high school reunion.

And yeah, it's really bad when we have to flash back to like the 10s and 20s for character focus/development episodes. Plus the 15 people roll call and then the 16 people grunting in their suits and in the mechs... half the captions for this episode are basically just HRN UGH UFF GYAAA

Pretty sure Lucky's dead from space. I mean, you can only survive before dying of asphyxiation for thirty seconds after being thrown out into space, and with what space being the size it is, the chances of being picked up by a spaceship within those seconds are two to the power of two-hundred-and-sixty-seven-thousand, seven-hundred-and-nine to one against. Which by a staggering coincidence, is the number of times "Yossha Lucky!" is repeated in this series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, he wanted to destroy the galaxy to rebuild it from scratch, except that was revealed to just be a ploy so that he can get killed and take over Tsurugi's immortal body, except he was already immortal to begin with, except he's not immortal when you kill him three times in a row, for some reason. Also, he can't take over Lucky's body, because of reasons.
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

5/5

ALRIGHT, LUCKY!!!!

AN EPIC WIN FOR AN EPIC ENDING!!! :D :D :D

About the upcoming Lupinranger VS Patranger, I want to see the Super Hero Time Opening once again along with Build and see what it looks like.

Good work guys
ShepardRahl
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yoshizawa Hitomi
Favorite Actor?: Dwayne Johnson
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Rider Belts
Quote: I will tell you something about anything...if not everything.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by ShepardRahl »

You're not doing Lupinranger VS Patranger?
I will tell you something about anything...if not everything!
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

4/5

kind of a little weak ending, but nice series overall

btw, takenoko take a break from fansubing?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, just from translating. I'll still be qcing for Build and filling in here and there.

I wrote a longer explanation here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22579
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

1/5

Boring final battle, with no surprised ending, and Lucky is spotlight until the end.

Bye Yossha Sentai Luckyranger.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:08 am Nah, just from translating. I'll still be qcing for Build and filling in here and there.

But the group is still doing Lupinranger vs Patranger, right? It sounded like that was in question, on your blog post. I read your further explanation about stepping away; just still not clear to me.

If (and I hope its not the case) TV-Nihon doesn't do Lupin vs Patranger, which subtitling group should we watch? Which would you recommend?

Sorry; just so use to TV-Nihon. You guys are like the standard I think of, even when compared to professional subtitling.

Best of luck to you! Hearing that that you didn't like Jyuohger, or Kyuranger (I REALLY enjoyed both series, thank you VERY much for doing such a smashing good job with both, despite your dislike.)
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

erikhol wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:28 am
takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:08 am Nah, just from translating. I'll still be qcing for Build and filling in here and there.

But the group is still doing Lupinranger vs Patranger, right? It sounded like that was in question, on your blog post. I read your further explanation about stepping away; just still not clear to me.

If (and I hope its not the case) TV-Nihon doesn't do Lupin vs Patranger, which subtitling group should we watch? Which would you recommend?

Sorry; just so use to TV-Nihon. You guys are like the standard I think of, even when compared to professional subtitling.

Best of luck to you! Hearing that that you didn't like Jyuohger, or Kyuranger (I REALLY enjoyed both series, thank you VERY much for doing such a smashing good job with both, despite your dislike.)

Whoooo.... Apparently there was nothing to worry about. TV Nihon apparently is still doing Lupinranger vs Patranger.

Again - thank you for all your hard work Takenoko!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, Luna and Xiiliea are still planning to do Lupin VS Pat. I just hope they keep an open mind and not promise anything till after the first episode airs. I just don't want them to put too much on their plates.
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 pm Feel like I remember seeing Lucky tossed into space before.
You did. In Episode 1. And he survived that time by surfing back down to the planet on the Leonid meteor shower. Just like here.

In other words. one more bookend. Ain't that a...lucky coincidence.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Can't say I really expected any more than this to be honest. The final fight did drag on a bit. I don't think we needed that shot of the whole team grunting in the mecha.

I'll save my thoughts for the review thread though.
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

Eeeh....screw it. Kyuranger started too good with setting and designs n stuff and then its red ranger blowing party, its like ninningers all over again. But those had nothing i cared about, this has wasted potential and a lot of it, so this triggers me more. So now Armage character was completely all over the place, Qurwo death now is made weird, cos now Tsurugi basically killed a victim, instead of friend turned evil more of his own. Whole concept of Armage as concentration of unluck could be good concept if explored better, but it was only a crappy quick plot twist. Eeeeh when we were seeing glimps of Qurwo all the way back then, i thought Armage will be like some angel, higher being that will require some special dealing with. I skipped a lot in this ep.

I will miss Spada loud voice, he sounded fun in unique way.
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

I guess it was ok. Nothing awful, but nothing good really. Kyuuranger was something I thought was good at the start, but somewhere it seemed like the quality dropped, so I'm disappointed.
I really wish it was better than we got.
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”