KR Build 49 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:18 am

☆☆☆☆☆
48%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
5%
No votes

Total votes: 21
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 49 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article

Alt title -

Last week's results: 4.13 / 5 (15 votes)

Why is there a sand planet in the schism of light? Also, what? Tossing Evolt into the hole of light isn't enough, you also need to defeat him. But if you can defeat him... why do we need a plan to collide two Earths together??? I thought Sento went into the hole to retrieve Banjou???

Build and Evolt devolving while fighting is cool, except it doesn't appear to be because they're taking on battle damage. I guess some light appears and they devolve because of dumb bullshit? One thing I won't miss about Build is how often they took a trip to that bullshit well.

Okay, the explanation for why combining the worlds is nonsense, but let's think a bit more about this. Are we all familiar with how transporters on Star Trek work? They kill you by disassembling all your atoms, then they build a clone of you on the other side of the transport. Maybe it's sort of like that? It feels like they just replaced everyone from this world with the one from the parallel world. But if that's the case, how does that fix things for the people who lived on the present world. If Sento fled this world to go to the other world, the results would have been exactly the same.

Wait, how far back do the changes go. They say it's 10 implying no Pandora's Box incident, but that shouldn't change stuff like the Nanba children stuff or Banjou being an alien spawn, right?

Yay, Sento and Banjou are together in the new world. I bet the shippers went wild with that bike scene.

Okay, having Sento and Banjou do the recording for the opening narration for the very last scene is pretty great. Build, a mixed bag of some really good ideas in kind of a mushy stew of things that don't work.

Other minor disappointments:
-I think it sucks that Isurugi Souichi is separated from Evolt, but never shows up as his own character in the original world. It would have given Misora something to react to that isn't her platonic boyfriends or one gal friend.
-While the epilogue is good, it does kind of suck that everyone just forgot about everything that happened. If Banjou hadn't shown up, it would have gotten dangerously close to "Everything was undone, none of it mattered" territory. Misora starting to remember Sento is good, but I would have liked it if something of the original world made it to the new world.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 49 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

The final fight's alright but it could've been better. Did not like that the Trial Form was all CGI. This should've been planned from the start.

The Deus Ex Machina plan is complete and nothing of value was lost. Except that Utsumi meme where he broke Nanba's cane. Glad you cut that one short, production.

I'm fine with rating this entire series from this post: 6.5/10. Good ideas, decentexecution, dramatic elements subpar, comedy's OK. Glad Kouhei Takeda could come back as a Rider.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I think a lot of recent series have a kind of unfinished "the hero must continue on" sort of feeling (searching for ankh/koyomi, rebuilding the Ganma world, finding a cure for the Bugster virus, etc) so it's kinda nice that their fight is over. The battle is won, the world is normal and there's nothing to strive for any more (not convinced Misora remembers Sento, I think it was just her recognizing Tarou). There's a sense of finality, which I think is important for a show.

Minor trivia, Master's actor has been appearing in a "learn German through travel" NHK show so his German is probably way better than his Italian lol
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I really like the ending. Even if Banjou didn't show up I think it fit the theme of the show and Sentos struggles throughout, but the fact his Dragon Buddy survived made it just that touch less bittersweet. It doesn't make 100% sense that Sento and Banjou survive while the others that were alive didn't, other than maybe because they were in the light?

There were some cool throwbacks as well, like Gentoku not wanting to bang Sawa this time when she asked for an interview, and the fakeout with Misora recognising Sento like with Kazumin and her early on in the series. Vernage saying her work was done when she didn't do much toward the end was funny, but I understand her actress got sick.

Ending has picked it back up for me. I like the fact it wasn't everyone is happy ever after, but at the same time not a total downer. It's more Blade tier than anything else.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Is that rabbit at the end a reference to Doom's ending?
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

That's it. Build is over with 49 episodes. I really like how the ending felt like an actual ending, and while I don't know yet if Build will have a crossover movie with Zi-O but at least for now, the war is over and there's no longer any threat left to Build's world (in fact, his world no longer exists if we're going into technicality).

The final fight was alright. It was neither as blood-pumping as Gaim's final battle nor as heart-wrenching as Drive's but it definitely is better than most others. I was a little disappointed that Rabbit-Dragon was in full CGI but apart from that, I think it was overall a decent fight. Evolt has his flaws, but still an enjoyable villain. I like how menacing he was from the start, and he enjoys his own menace. That's what makes him so fun. If only there's more decent henchmen or secondary villain to fight to sort of build up (haha) Evolt as the last boss instead of having the Riders go up against him and lose for umpteenth time.

Another plus point is the epilogue. Yes, like Take pointed out, it's a deus ex machina that makes little sense but I've kinda gave up trying to logically piece things together in Build and decided to just go along with the plot explanation (however absurd they may be) and I enjoy the series better that way. Th e epilogue is kinda reminiscent of Ryuki's where reality resets itself where none of the battles occurred, the characters all lead a different life but it's always been my gripe with Ryuki how not a single character remembers anything and it sorta make the whole series' pointless. Here, at least we have Sento who's the only one still carrying all the memories (and later joined by Skywall-Banjou) and I think that makes the epilogue a more bittersweet conclusion. Yes, all those who died are well and alive, but Sento & Banjou still carry with them the scars from the battle. IF we're gonna get some kind of direct to DVD specials I hope we get to explore how they carry on with life.

Build has many ups and downs and is really a mixed bag - but the casts are enjoyable and it dared to explore darker themes and ideas than other Rider series of late and I applaud it for that. Build certainly earned its spot on a higher tier post-Decade in my books and like the epilogue, I part ways with it in a bittersweet manner.

To all the casts of Build, I will miss you guys and a huge thank you to the staffs at TV Nihon for subbing this.
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

I liked the ending, felt like it gave the heroes an actual sendoff. I still think "new world" Banjou should never have existed, since his original birth was due to evolt's genes. he didn't exist otherwise.

CGI on desperation form, LAAAAME.

looking forward to seeing "the dynamic duo" in ZI-O, as the Cross-Z disc Sento was holding will surely play a part sometime in the first couple of eps.

storyline is kinda looking Gaim-ish, in that it's becoming a "fight to become Kami-san" all over again. we shall see.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Sinkuu wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 pm I liked the ending, felt like it gave the heroes an actual sendoff. I still think "new world" Banjou should never have existed, since his original birth was due to evolt's genes. he didn't exist otherwise.
No, remember, his mom was like 1 month pregnant with him when Evolt infected her, so he'd still be born, just at a regular 9 months instead of only two.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Yeah. OG Banjou is a few months older than new Banjou.

Also, the hair colour being different may be due to Evolt. Might explain why Sentos hair went white when possessed.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I don't know. Maybe I'm just not in a very giving mood, but I wasn't impressed with that episode.

Overall, these last few episodes have progressed almost exactly like we theorized they would, kooky world merging and all. Not only does that mean that our expectations haven't been exceeded or even subverted, but it means that all the problems we've outlined have come to pass. Did Sento merge Build-earth with another, unpopulated world? Or did he just kill off essentially everyone on Build-earth and escape to another planet?

Either way, the net result is that this is less a story of parallel worlds and more a story of time travel, as the original world no longer exists. In fact I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this was originally meant to be a time travel story - one panel gives you the power of space (wormholes) and the other gives you the power of time - and then had to be changed because the next Rider is a time traveler.

Despite this, the series is still better than Ghost (thank god Kouta). But this last episode was so damn mediocre, just like the last few episodes. And the fact that the final form suit is entirely CGI after we've been forced to see how many damn Build suits is borderline insulting. The bright spots here was seeing that Banjou made it as well, and that good narration gag at the end.

Past that, my thoughts are generally in line with takenoko's here. I don't dislike the series, but I'm glad it's reached its end. It wasn't doing much of interest and it's time for something new.

Also, the final fight was okay. It was definitely less bombastic than the last fight, but how many times has Sento fought Evolt now? I did like the constant form regression, as it was neat to see all of his other forms one last time. On the other hand I'm disappointed they didn't really do the same for Evolt; he should have gone back to Black Hole Evolt, then base Evolt, as removing his poorly defined cobra add-ons doesn't carry the same punch.

Finally: thank you once again to all of the TVN crew for another year of Kamen Rider. Translators, typesetters, QA; you all rock! :D

Edit: And since when could Rabbit Rabbit fly (fly)?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:23 pm Yeah. OG Banjou is a few months older than new Banjou.

Also, the hair colour being different may be due to Evolt. Might explain why Sentos hair went white when possessed.
Man, if that were the thought that went into it, that would be amazing. But I don't think I'd give the Build staff that much credit. It's probably just different because it's easier to make them visually different.

Also, I totally forgot that Banjou already existed before Evolt and had a difference in gestation period. /me assumes no one noticed that except Luna
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:56 pm
Sinkuu wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 pm I liked the ending, felt like it gave the heroes an actual sendoff. I still think "new world" Banjou should never have existed, since his original birth was due to evolt's genes. he didn't exist otherwise.
No, remember, his mom was like 1 month pregnant with him when Evolt infected her, so he'd still be born, just at a regular 9 months instead of only two.
ok, that I missed.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 am
Also, I totally forgot that Banjou already existed before Evolt and had a difference in gestation period. /me assumes no one noticed that except Luna
I mostly just felt really bad for his mom. She must've balooned up and thought she had a tumor or something.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I only pay attention to these small dumb details if I get invested enough in a show.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

The ending... with nobody but the two main riders remembering anything, it just feels like the experiences made by all the other characters - Astronaut Guy, Otoya 2.0, Miinage, Beardy and his dad etc. - were just made meaningless. Sure, the extra riders got to live instead of being sparklified, so their situation only improved, but still, I feel it cheapens the impact of their story arcs.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”