Lupin VS Pat 41 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:27 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
13%
No votes

Total votes: 8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 41 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 3.36 / 5 (11 votes)

Alt Title: Tantalizing episode that falls on its face at the end

Love the bits with Tooma and Tsukasa talking, since it's such a rare pairing. Was pretty hyped when Tooma was forced to save Tsukasa.

My guys, if you just moved a bit further into that cave, you wouldn't have gotten spotted.

We're teased with more Zamigo. Still don't know what's up with him or Destra. Seems like a good point to reassert how weird the main plot is from the Ganglar perspective. I know we need to give the good guys stuff to do on a weekly basis, but can't the main bad guys do something more proactive? Dogranio is scary in the opening, but he's just sort of there, sitting on his ass like a lazy god. The world building feels extremely lacking, despite its potential.

Okay, so the ending. Everyone works together to take out Destra. Sike, he's still alive.

But Tsukasa faints so the Pats can't help with the mecha side of things. All you can do is roll your eyes and sigh at this point. All I can say it, it's so disappointing to have Tsukasa, a real badass in this series, just faint and be used as an excuse to exclude the Pats yet again.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Lupin VS Pat 41 Released!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

In this episode, the Flag is now at Full-Mast for a desperate Destra Maggio.

Destra officially enters the contest to appease Dogranio, Zamigo screws with his plans to kill the Rangers (That staredown from Episode 14 hinted the Iceman may have hated Destra), the Rangers barely curbstomped him and he's asking Gauche, the last person he’d ask for help from, to give him a hand. Truly desperate times for the Ganglar’s superior muscle. Don’t drink your failures away, folks.

A Tooma and Tsukasa episode/Lancer and Lancer episode. Good that Tooma’s aware that Tsukasa’s onto the Thieves, considering she’s the first one on trying to find out who they really are. And then Tsukasa got her thinking cap on again after she saw Tooma shoot the mooks with her VS Changer.

Alright episode. Let’s keep this rolling.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The Ganglars are lame villains. Destra has no real character other than 'Dogranio Sama' and Zamigo despite apparently being so important is a non factor.

The preview implies that Destra might bite it next week. They should have made this a tense two parter or something.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 am The Ganglars are lame villains. Destra has no real character other than 'Dogranio Sama' and Zamigo despite apparently being so important is a non factor.

The preview implies that Destra might bite it next week. They should have made this a tense two parter or something.
Destra is worst version of Azald from Zyuohger. Azald got better background and little development than Destra...
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 pm But Tsukasa faints so the Pats can't help with the mecha side of things. All you can do is roll your eyes and sigh at this point. All I can say it, it's so disappointing to have Tsukasa, a real badass in this series, just faint and be used as an excuse to exclude the Pats yet again.

Number of episodes since the last PatKaiser fight: 5
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I thought that it was good that Tsukasa passed out. She fought a small army of combatants pretty much by herself and took heavy damage keeping Tooma safe. Her passing out was "selling" the damage that she had taken before and makes the previous battle feel more important.

We're in the home stretch now, were the big evil's side kicks get killed one by one. I can totally see Zamigo sneak attacking Destra to get him out of the way. Is there a baby face turn coming for Zamigo or is this just his disdain for Destra who Zamigo thinks is the bosses yes-man? I can also totally see Tsukasa cracking the case in the next couple of episodes leading to a truce negotiated by Noel where the Lupins act as deputies until they get their important people back, and then they will turn themselves in.

I think that some of the mystery of Noel and his important person has been solved now. Instead of being frozen by Zamigo, his important person was snatched by Destra or Gauche. This is why Noel knew about Ganglar world and the portal but had never heard of Zamigo.

However, it sheds no light on Noel and Kogure mortal fear of Gauche's magic mirror of truth.

Speaking of light, is it always midnight in Ganglar world? If so, how would trees grow?

Quick question: can the PatRanger's henshin devices be used to crack safes? If so, they could run a sweet story line angle where the Pat Rangers get to a Ganglar first and destroy him. When the Lupin's show up and look heartbroken that the Ganglar's Lupin collection piece was destroyed, the Pats announce that they have the piece and will be analyzing it at police headquarters, pretty much daring the Lupin's to come steal it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 pm
takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 pm But Tsukasa faints so the Pats can't help with the mecha side of things. All you can do is roll your eyes and sigh at this point. All I can say it, it's so disappointing to have Tsukasa, a real badass in this series, just faint and be used as an excuse to exclude the Pats yet again.

Oh I saw that guy. He's at that giant building shaped like a dog head.

>I thought that it was good that Tsukasa passed out.

Has Keiichirou or Sakuya ever just "passed out"? It makes it seem like Tsukasa has the vapors!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by resop2 »

takenoko wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm >I thought that it was good that Tsukasa passed out.

Has Keiichirou or Sakuya ever just "passed out"? It makes it seem like Tsukasa has the vapors!
Keiichirou sort of did when he was poisoned. And, IIRC Keiichirou was unable to continue fighting after he saved some bystanders from a falling building. Also, Tsukasa took the massive multi-mook beat down without being transformed and was grazed by fire on both her arm and leg, and only succumbed to the beat down after the bystander was safe. Sometimes someone looks tougher when they do pass out from the pain then if they don't sell the damage the antagonists inflict. If a boxer takes 100 shots to the face and still looks fresh as a daisy then the audience assumes that his opponent has no power behind his punches instead of the boxer being tough. But if the boxer takes the punches and makes it to the end of the fight on his feat but wobbly, and then passes out, then people would think that the boxer used incredible will power to keep going until the end.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

resop2 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 pm Speaking of light, is it always midnight in Ganglar world? If so, how would trees grow?
So far, never seen that place having daylight. Its a mystical forest like in Cinderella or Snow White Fairy Tales so don't apply any common sense in that.
resop2 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 pm Quick question: can the PatRanger's henshin devices be used to crack safes? If so, they could run a sweet story line angle where the Pat Rangers get to a Ganglar first and destroy him. When the Lupin's show up and look heartbroken that the Ganglar's Lupin collection piece was destroyed, the Pats announce that they have the piece and will be analyzing it at police headquarters, pretty much daring the Lupin's to come steal it.
Possibly not because it's not programmed like dial fighters to crack open locks. In the first place Lupins don't even used Splash on safes. Furthermore, why would Global Police go and retrieve the collection anyway? All they care was defeating Ganglar and protecting the peace of the city. They don't even know what those things are capable of and if collections are deemed dangerous by their higher ups, they won't hesitate to destroy those Lupin Collection. Its just like those treasures Boukenger called as Preciouses but they need to have the full set and cannot afford to lose even one of them. Hypothetically speaking if Pats were ordered to get collection, they need to use Goody since he is the only Dial Fighter and Trigger Machine in one VS Vehicle (like two in one Kamen Rider, W)
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by resop2 »

hiro9796 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:32 pm
resop2 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 pm Quick question: can the PatRanger's henshin devices be used to crack safes? If so, they could run a sweet story line angle where the Pat Rangers get to a Ganglar first and destroy him. When the Lupin's show up and look heartbroken that the Ganglar's Lupin collection piece was destroyed, the Pats announce that they have the piece and will be analyzing it at police headquarters, pretty much daring the Lupin's to come steal it.
Possibly not because it's not programmed like dial fighters to crack open locks. In the first place Lupins don't even used Splash on safes. Furthermore, why would Global Police go and retrieve the collection anyway? All they care was defeating Ganglar and protecting the peace of the city. They don't even know what those things are capable of and if collections are deemed dangerous by their higher ups, they won't hesitate to destroy those Lupin Collection. Its just like those treasures Boukenger called as Preciouses but they need to have the full set and cannot afford to lose even one of them. Hypothetically speaking if Pats were ordered to get collection, they need to use Goody since he is the only Dial Fighter and Trigger Machine in one VS Vehicle (like two in one Kamen Rider, W)
The why is simple: to capture and arrest the Lupin Rangers. If all they cared about was protecting the city and beating the Ganglars then they wouldn't shoot live rounds at the Lupins nearly every episode.

If memory serves, the Pat's had obtained one of the destroyed safes, and even though it was dangerous they kept the safe at police headquarters for research.

If they cannot use their henshin devices to crack safes, they could tell Noel to get them the next Lupin Collection Piece for research or they would have French headquarters fire him. Either that or program for the Pats a separate safe cracking device.

The whole point of the angle would be to force the Lupin's to send a proper advance warning, stating on this date and time and at this place we will be taking the Lupin Collection Piece, like phantom thieves should. Then they could use Kogure to dress up like Tsukasa and cause a distraction allowing the Lupin's to escape with the collection piece. But, the point of the operation would not be to keep a collection piece away from the Lupin's but to force the Lupin's to be exposed on surveillance video. Catching a glimpse of Kogure is unplanned, but ultimately cracks the case.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

There's no dial on the PatRanger's toys so no safe cracking for them.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Normal police squads like SWAT have that doorbuster thing. Then again, it may not be a good image for Japanese policemen to use said doorbuster thing.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Aside from the Pats getting shoved out of the way yet again, this was a pretty good episode. There were palpable stakes, and Touma & Tsukasa's characters work well off of each other. On the whole, this makes it clear that we're moving into the final part of the series.

I'm a bit miffed at what they've done to Destra though. Early on he was the smart-but-loyal one, and had his side plot going on in trying to figure out the nature of the Lupin Collection and the pieces the heroes hold. However like so many other things, that plot seems to have run out of steam or just been forgotten around episode 30. Now he's just the loyal muscle lining up to get killed, like all generals must. The strongman is a very common villain archetype in Sentai and that's fine, but Destra just isn't developed very well. He has very little going for him here other than that he's doing all of this because he's been pushed into it.

And wow, Lupin Red really got his bell rung there. Damn near literally, in fact.
resop2 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 pm I think that some of the mystery of Noel and his important person has been solved now. Instead of being frozen by Zamigo, his important person was snatched by Destra or Gauche. This is why Noel knew about Ganglar world and the portal but had never heard of Zamigo.
This is a good point. Whatever has happened to Noel was clearly done by the Ganglar, and given his reaction to Destra, the latter probably had something to do with it. This means that we have one more thing to learn about Destra, I suppose. But it's coming awfully late.
takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 pm We're teased with more Zamigo. Still don't know what's up with him or Destra. Seems like a good point to reassert how weird the main plot is from the Ganglar perspective. I know we need to give the good guys stuff to do on a weekly basis, but can't the main bad guys do something more proactive? Dogranio is scary in the opening, but he's just sort of there, sitting on his ass like a lazy god. The world building feels extremely lacking, despite its potential.
It's been clear from the very start that this series is meant to be carried more by the heroes than the villains. And specifically, the Lupin vs. Pat conflict. The latter hasn't panned out very well, and the show is struggling a bit for it. At this point what's holding up the show is the charisma of the main characters itself, the cool themes, and the frustratingly slow burn on whatever Kogure is actually up to. It's been keeping the show in the decent-to-good range instead of falling to mediocrity, but the show is perched on an increasingly small cliff. If everything was working out, then the thin villains would probably be fine; random MOTWs vying to be the new boss is just enough of a veneer to hold up so long as it doesn't have to carry the show.
takenoko wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm
ViRGE wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 pm

https://i.imgur.com/7kwtZy9.jpg

Oh I saw that guy. He's at that giant building shaped like a dog head.
:lol:
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:20 pm And wow, Lupin Red really got his bell rung there. Damn near literally, in fact.

Virge, I said the exact same thing watching this.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Sinkuu wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:02 am
ViRGE wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:20 pm And wow, Lupin Red really got his bell rung there. Damn near literally, in fact.

Virge, I said the exact same thing watching this.
What's that mean?

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”