Toei should put both series on a break
44%
Toei shouldn't put either on a break
28%

Total votes: 32
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Should Sentai or Rider go on a break?

Post by hiro9796 »

Yeah, they should take a break for both series but not simultaneously. Zi-O feels somehow too bland. Toys is one thing but the story feel like nothing was connected. As in literally. There's no charisma in it at all. Okay, perhaps I should say the story they are trying to come up for Zi-O was too complex that they don't even know what they are doing. I understand its an anniversary season where the main cast inherit all the riders power but why don't they do it in a continuous travelling manner instead of like just waiting and then go. By that I mean they are on a journey like Decade but instead ride in a spaceship or something. The fact that they are stopping in 2018/2019 most of the time was the issue, at least thats what I think.

As for Sentai, I admit Lupin VS Pat was good earlyhand up to episode 25 but the rest feels like garbage, especially when the remaining powerups that were supposedly go to Pats go to Lupins instead. Though, after doing some lookup, I think its not the problem with the writers but the marketeers. Since toy sales for trigger machines dropped, the writers had no choice but to do twist the story that toys go to Lupins since the other staffs somehow somewhat or must agreed with the marketeers demands because their market is in the red.or something. But, honestly, they should just retain whatever original intention of giving the toys to their proper team owners because the VSX Combination was actually more appealing enough for anyone who doesn't buy trigger machines before to buy them later. Its just speculation but I hope they would release an official statement regarding why the story quality dropped after the first half of Lupin VS Pat. That aside, can't they wait after halfway before selling toys for series that had two teams? Personally, doing it will allow everyone to see the greatness of both teams instead of just Lupins so even anyone would buy both sides.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

hiro9796 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:19 pm As for Sentai, I admit Lupin VS Pat was good earlyhand up to episode 25 but the rest feels like garbage, especially when the remaining powerups that were supposedly go to Pats go to Lupins instead. Though, after doing some lookup, I think its not the problem with the writers but the marketeers. Since toy sales for trigger machines dropped, the writers had no choice but to do twist the story that toys go to Lupins since the other staffs somehow somewhat or must agreed with the marketeers demands because their market is in the red.or something. But, honestly, they should just retain whatever original intention of giving the toys to their proper team owners because the VSX Combination was actually more appealing enough for anyone who doesn't buy trigger machines before to buy them later. Its just speculation but I hope they would release an official statement regarding why the story quality dropped after the first half of Lupin VS Pat. That aside, can't they wait after halfway before selling toys for series that had two teams? Personally, doing it will allow everyone to see the greatness of both teams instead of just Lupins so even anyone would buy both sides.
KR Build or KR Gaim or Kyoryuger has a lot of toys in these series and you can see how good the story progress.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Gaim and Kyoruger had excellent writers.

Build feels like an anomaly. The first quarter was arguably the best part of the show. I guess because of how the Best matches worked they weren't straight power ups and it wasn't like upgrades were being rushed.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Catastrophe wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:45 am Gaim and Kyoruger had excellent writers.
Gaim aside, Wasn't the head writer for Kyoryuger was Sanjo Riku, the head writer for W and Drive and secondary for Fourze? Then how come people had to compare post Gaim series with Gaim when the story basis was different? I mean it feels a little unfair to compare with Urobuchi Gen when each writers had different experiences to what stories they wrote before
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

Kamen rider should at least go back to actually starting in the beginning of the year like super sentai does, instead of starting in the fall.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

09MurphyM wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 pm Kamen rider should at least go back to actually starting in the next year like super sentai does, instead of starting in the fall.
I heard some rumors why Kamen Rider start in fall since W. Bandai want to sell more toy in first quarter, rather than divide toy sales for Sentai if both of them start new series in same time.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

i just think ya'll are being elitist.

i don't think it's toei that needs to take a break as it is the fanbase might wanna just start skipping series all together.
I personally find myself skipping every other kamen rider series as of the past 5 years. I skipped ghost and build completely (well i watched like the first two episodes and bounced.)

It wasn't because of the writing, i just find if i'm watching precure i usally don't watch kamen rider. like this year i'm watching zi-o but not this newest series of precure and now i dunno how i feel cause apparently
Spoiler
the first boy in precure happened this year
and i tottally missed it.

will i watch precure next year dunno depends. Will i watch kamen rider next year dunnno depends. But i don't really force myself to watch it that way if it's crap i'm not harping on about it.

i'm ginuely enjoying Zi-O and i really believe it's because i have no clue who ghost and build are. Just enjoying the ride.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Sooo... instead of Toei taking the break, the fans should take a break? How is that any different?

It's the modern age, I could be watching a million other things besides tokusatsu. It'd be nice if the thing I like could be better? I guess that makes me an elitist?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I've never skipped a series as it aired since I started watching. If its shit, I'll play it at 2x speed just to get through it faster and it only takes up 12 minutes of my day.

It's not like all the series the last 5 years have been bad. There have been peaks and troughs. It's just been more troughs recently.

The farthest back I've watched Sentai was Liveman, I'd make the case that between Liveman and ToQger that every series was pretty good. There were some that were more average than others, but I could find things that I enjoyed out of each of them. Why was there a sudden drop off at Ninninger that they haven't been able to bounce back from? You're looking at 26 years of a relatively formulaic series that was done reasonably well and suddenly its in this slump.

Adding 12 rangers isn't going to fix it. Having a half assed 3 vs 3 series isn't going to fix it. Hire some competent writers so the characters (both good and bad) are enjoyable. Make decent looking robots again. Literally the only two things that need to be done.

Rider is a bit more difficult because I feel the entries are slightly more divisive post revival. The toy shilling the first 12-15 episodes certainly doesn't help.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Kurokage X wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 pm I say up to when Syndicate was released, that comparison works
Unity maybe, but I thought Syndicate was decent. And I certainly feel as though it's the last game in the franchise that's true to the series' roots. But at least we've got EU novels keeping it up.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
HWNJ
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Quote: Motherfucker!
Samuel L. Jackson
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by HWNJ »

Just give Kamen Rider a break and please, take you time to create a magnificent new Kamen Rider era
Des_Shinta
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Steve Blum
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Des_Shinta »

Sentai definitely needs an extended break, Rider I think had probably earned a year off as a showing of consequences. That or the franchise's GOOD writers back to Write the respective series for a stretch without intereference...and the recurring producers for both that have been attached to bad content taken off of them entirely and permanently.

The problem with Super sentai is...I haven't actually liked any of them Since Kyoryuger, and even then when I looked at the backlog of them they only seemed to have a legitimately good series every other year (if that) Going back a Decade, and even that's inconsistent. Toq, Ninnin and Kyuranger all had elements that were extremely insulting and/or offensive and I hate their idiot protagonists, Zyuohger burned most of my positive goodwill I had to it with it's disastrous final arc as none of the characters had moved in the directions the show tried to say it had taken them in thus ended up severely unjustified and with them OOC, and Lupat's suffered much the same issues--Just earlier with them--with how it kept wasting every chance it had to progress the damn story and instead kept smashing the reset button. Between that and how unwatchably awful Power Ranger's adaptations of the material has been the last decade and failed to fix any flaw in the source material when they mine it for their own plots, I'm entirely burned out on their style of superhero and think they need to take several years off. When your annual series starts building up a platform of bad entries that cast a shadow over the good ones with their frequency and number, it's time to go on break or end things entirely before you're left as naught but a shambling zombie.

I'm more lenient to Kamen Rider Overall since...well, having watched the entire franchise at this point The Neo-Heisei Era has been the longest stretch of Overall Competently executed storytelling in it's entire history, something you can't say of either the showa or Early heisei series due to the former's hiatus' and the latter only having one legitimately good show for every three that Aried; with even the good ones having some bigger outlying problem with their story that has not been present in the ones after Decade. The only bad ones in the last decade I find are Ghost, Amazons and Zi-O, and at least Ghost has an explanation (well, several) for it turning to suck with how it was screwed over. in Contrast to some of the negative opinions in here, Drive fixed it's early problems and on rewatch is far better, as is Ex-Aid...though Ex-aid's biggest problems all revolved around how little time there was given to the story of saki's death which was such a big backbone to The characters and arcs of Graphite, Taiga and Hiiro which then affected other things in turn. Fix that and Given it more time, and you shore up the big weak link; as the rest of everything is far better in hindsight with reflection and thought.
Build not-so-much, in that the show started to lose itself with the Evolt arc, that just felt like a god-modder's poorly done remake of the battles with Chronos. That one needed a heavy overhaul--such as Genius premiering before black hole form so it doesn't end up feeling worthlessly outclassed immeditately-- but felt like something which was an executive-mandated shift away since it felt at odds with the prior war arc, and the war arc itself also felt rather compressed. Though at least from interviews, we Know That wasn't Producer Takahiro Ohmori's intentions nor decisions, since in example he collaborated heavily with Shogo Muto to get at the very least the World Fusion plotline at the end down right to clear the Deck for Zi-O to then not have to worry about any continuity problems...which zi-O screwed up in not even 5 Minutes because it's staff could not be paid to give a damn.

Really, I think THAT is more Kamen Rider's problem than Super sentai's, it has too many things going on; while it always has, with Toei's insistence on there being longer fight scenes in all of their shows since around Gobusters, There's less time to properly address or develop them so there feels like there's so much waste. That for the more recent material used to be caused by the wizard-Gaim airing schedule reshuffle with toei then mandating a big christmas event to boost ratings that then backfires and the early series power-up form introduction, but it's a problem that hasn't been fixed yet even with the scheduling issue being fixed.
Wheras With Sentai...many of the plots don't matter even to progressing or presenting characterization in any positive light, and detract from the series overall with how just plain stupid and at times meanspirited and morally malicious they have gotten. Kamen Rider this year just has a Producer and writer known for heading utter garbage at the helm which makes the show unwatchable (and not even the guest cameo's bothered to save it for me as when I want to see them back I want them written in character and address where their lives have continued to go...which these guys always fails at every time), and the prior three years gone for newer and somewhat untested talent that's been hit-and-miss. Sentai's just repeating itself in characters and greater arc with a new gimmick tacked on which hurts the story immensely when you realize how much it's just the same crap done worse.

Of course, we all know neither is going to happen unless the merchandise returns end up not breaking even or so Minute they begin to ask what is even the point. Zi-O already has broken all low viewership records for Kamen Rider with how it's lost viewers and just seems to be chugging along because people are buying the ridewatches--even if is is at a significantly reduced rate of sale than that of the last 10 years when you factor sales data in 'per unit' numbers--but A Rumor's been making the rounds that if Ryuusouger doesn't do well that sentai Might actually end up being considered for cancellation. So We'll just have to see.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

The problem with Super sentai is...I haven't actually liked any of them Since Kyoryuger, and even then when I looked at the backlog of them they only seemed to have a legitimately good series every other year (if that) Going back a Decade, and even that's inconsistent. Toq, Ninnin and Kyuranger all had elements that were extremely insulting and/or offensive and I hate their idiot protagonists, Zyuohger burned most of my positive goodwill I had to it with it's disastrous final arc as none of the characters had moved in the directions the show tried to say it had taken them in thus ended up severely unjustified and with them OOC, and Lupat's suffered much the same issues--Just earlier with them--with how it kept wasting every chance it had to progress the damn story and instead kept smashing the reset button. Between that and how unwatchably awful Power Ranger's adaptations of the material has been the last decade and failed to fix any flaw in the source material when they mine it for their own plots, I'm entirely burned out on their style of superhero and think they need to take several years off. When your annual series starts building up a platform of bad entries that cast a shadow over the good ones with their frequency and number, it's time to go on break or end things entirely before you're left as naught but a shambling zombie.
Right in ToQger is better many times than Takaharu, Lucky. His personality was developed during series and he didn't have big mouth than the others. Moreover, his true age was fit with his personality, not "adult with idiot act" than Takaharu and Lucky.
Duskv20
Adventure
Favorite series: Super Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rescue Force
Dreamy: Bamba/Ryusoul Black
Favorite Actor?: Jun Shison
Favorite Band: Lisa Loeb
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Zenkaiger
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Duskv20 »

Honestly I feel like KyuuRanger and Lupin vs Pat are so different from past Sentai that I don't understand why they'd need to take a break NOW. They're just starting to really diversify and try new things the last two years.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Duskv20 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 pm Honestly I feel like KyuuRanger and Lupin vs Pat are so different from past Sentai that I don't understand why they'd need to take a break NOW. They're just starting to really diversify and try new things the last two years.
Worst toy sales, worst rating... At least toy sales should be great to keep up series, but since Ninninger, they can't.

Return to “Other Heroes”