A Decade Late: Did I miss the point of KR Decade?

Feel the power of Decade
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Kiva | Decade | W >
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

A Decade Late: Did I miss the point of KR Decade?

Post by takenoko »

So Decade's back and on Zi-O, and he's easily one of the show's highlights. He's so good that, he might be even better than on his own show. Why is that?

On Zi-O, he's an agent of chaos. He doesn't have any obvious goals, and he's apparently just there for his own amusement. Because of this, he frequently falls into the role of antagonist for Zi-O's protagonists. This is a great role for him. But maybe Decade being the antagonist isn't a new development?

Sure, Tsukasa is the Great Leader of Shocker and he's the destroyer of worlds. I always wrote off these aspects, because on the show Kamen Rider Decade, he's the protagonists. He's befriending everyone, helping out, he's good to his band of fellow journeyers. If he's a bad guy, surely he was brain washed or tricked into it.

But at the end of the TV series, all the Riders are mad at him. "You were supposed to be the destroyer of worlds. Instead, you befriended the other Riders." In a celebration of the first 10 Heisei Riders, maybe they were originally supposed to be an anthology of stories with Decade connecting them as a main villain. He was supposed to be the main antagonist of the show, but instead, flipped it around and made it about him instead. (Maybe the amnesia in episode one had something to do with it?)

It makes sense. Having the power of all the heroes in the show isn't a heroic trait. That's being overpowered. Only bad guys like Shao Tsung have all the powers. That's why it's fun to see Zi-O and Geiz fight against Decade, because he is that tall obstacle for the heroes to overcome.

Maybe that's why Narutaki distrusts Decade as much as he does. Narutaki knows the old Tsukasa and the old Tsukasa was a bad guy.

Maybe this is just head canon. Maybe this was super obvious and I'm just slow. What do you guys think? Is Decade the obvious villain in his own story, and does that explain Decade's confusing story?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: A Decade Late: Did I miss the point of KR Decade?

Post by Catastrophe »

I have to say that I look more favourably on Decade now than I did when it was airing. At least the character is charismatic.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

The one thing that I feel the original show tried to portray is that Decade is literally a wild card. He can go anywhere and do anything pretty much. WE saw him as a hero because WE were following his adventures through the worlds. This time we're focused on one world and we're only seeing one side of things. Plus, the main rider this time around is destined to be a despot and bring the world to ruin. Is Tsukasa REALLY the villian here?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's a good question, because so far we haven't explored why Sougo would change into Oma Zi-O. Assuming he's not brainwashed or tricked, is there a more pressing reason for why Oma Day happens?

How long before Oma Zi-O reveals he did what he had to to avoid an even greater catastrophe. The ends justifaiz the means.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

I believe that's going to be the driving point for the last quarter or so of the show. Maybe half. It reminds me of the "Rider War" flashbacks from Decade, but much more interesting.

Which adds more fuel to the theory that Decade in Zi-O was how he was originally envisioned. The Destroyer of Worlds. The Necessary Evil. Keeping the Rider Multiverse safe by destroying elements that threaten it. We saw the Hero side of him. Now for the "Villian" side.

The more and more I think about it, the more it feels that Zi-O is being used to flesh out Decade's story.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It certainly is effective and makes both shows greater for it.

Return to “Kamen Rider Decade”