Type: ISFJ Protector

Tokusatsu GAGAGA 04 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4.57 (7 votes)

Alt Title: 'dol drama

Wasn't sure what to expect from this episode. I think it was pretty good, but I don't think it suffers a bit since I'm not as drawn into Kitashiro's story.

I think this drama works best when you have a set piece where Nakamura can apply stuff from tokusatsu to her real life, and I'm not sure if they pull it off during the scene when they're stuck working overtime.

It cracks me up that she's constantly getting advice from a little kid though.

The karaoke scene at the end looked really expensive to set up. Pretty cool, but was kind of long for me.

People have said in previous episodes that they felt uncomfortable with some scenes. The scene where the staff member walks in while they're doing a shoujo anime song was that for me this week. The way they linger. Brutal. But the payoff for it was amazing.
Rashef
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W, Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger season 2
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Monkey Island

Re: Tokusatsu GAGAGA 04 released

Post by Rashef »

This show hits me right in the feels :(

Not all of them are nice but seeing, and I know it's a show, Kitashiro relaxed enough to expose her Ota side enough to even join for the other songs gives me a sliver of hope...
A teeny tiny hope of finding my own Tsuika Senshi. ;)
My Copyright Infringing folder with random assortment of ripped Kamen Rider SFX is found right... HERE.
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

I find it fascinating that these different types of otaku are still able to "gattai" and enjoy being with each other and sharing their fandoms. I mean, their fandoms are similar but also different, but karaoke was something that allowed them to do a crossover and participate in each others' fandoms, and have fun! I mean, we all want to share what we love with people and hope they like it also. But with toku (or girly anime or idol groups), we usually aren't successful with creating new fans. But here, they were all open-minded and let themselves enjoy and even directly participate in each others' loves. So it worked both ways! They got to express themselves and introduce each other to new things and get participation and see positive feedback. I really, really like how they tied it all together like that.

I even thought it was funny that they ordered non-alcoholic drinks and basically stayed sober while they acted out their scenarios and dances. I used to do American karaoke fairly often, about 15 years ago. It started with a couple of friends, and spread out to inviting lots of different friends and coworkers. We didn't rent rooms, but instead went to restaurants or bars that had public karaoke nights. There were always LOTS of drunk singers. A lot of people "need" alcohol to be able to open up and perform in public like that. But ota, by nature I think, get their energy and courage FROM the source of their fandom. Kano even said it, in a way. "This feeling of unity...this warmth in my chest...This is what a tokusatsu song is!" I didn't drink when i did karaoke either, though that's not to say anything against those who do. But I didn't feel I "had" to. A coworker even told me they couldn't believe I was able to loosen up like that without drinking. I just think that toku fans maybe let that excitement out of our hearts more than most adults do. We let that inner child excitement out when we watch these shows. I think our GaGaGa ota are the same. Their inner children give them the strength to loosen up without the "need" for alcohol. Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing. :lol:

A final comment about that karaoke performance, seeing that kind of thing is real life is pretty special. My friends and I had a regular venue we went to (which sadly doesn't do karaoke anymore), and there was a group of people that would seriously do a big team performance sometimes. The one I remember most is Tina Turner's Proud Mary. It was a guy who sang Tina's parts, but he had pipes! He sounded awesome, and the backup singers and dancers that came up made it a great show that got everyone in the place cheering. It was tons of fun.

I'm still impressed by this show. I'm anxious to see where it will go from here.
Vim Crony
7X
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mio
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: Polaris
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kiva and Comix

Post by Vim Crony »

THIS SHOW! Wow, I'm so excited to see the next steps because this episode is what I've been wanting from the beginning. All of our heroes together at last. I absolutely love that Lovecute theme.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

Because of how delayed our releases are, I've wanted to wait on collecting the poll data. Here's what I have so far:

Episode One 4.67 (12 votes)
Episode Two 4.71 (7 votes)
Episode Three 4.57 (7 votes)

Looks like most people here are enjoying it! Please remember to vote if you can, it's just at the top of each of our episode threads and they stay up for 15 days (from air date, since that's when I tend to create the thread)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh yeah, I was working on the wiki and Kobayashi Yutaka (Baron) is a member of BOYS AND MEN who are the group who portray the Bee Boys. Surely this is portent to some power grab by the series finale.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:41 am Because of how delayed our releases are, I've wanted to wait on collecting the poll data. Here's what I have so far:

Episode One 4.67 (12 votes)
Episode Two 4.71 (7 votes)
Episode Three 4.57 (7 votes)

Looks like most people here are enjoying it! Please remember to vote if you can, it's just at the top of each of our episode threads and they stay up for 15 days (from air date, since that's when I tend to create the thread)
Yeah, because you can have an idea of what peoples think with only 12 votes. That's why people don't believe in elections anymore.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean, you're not wrong. But we rarely get more than 20 votes on the polls. It's just a fun survey to see how fans are reacting to a thing. Don't take it so seriously.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Actually, I was making a parallel with how elections goes in my country (France) and probably in others as well. Because of the low participation, we have a president who got elected with only 33% of total votes.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh sorry, I thought you were making fun of the viewer polls.
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

For all the effort they put to make their tokusatsu show seem real, they sure skimped in the animation department. LoveCute looks horrendous! Although the song was pretty good and the dance was passable.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, haha. I noticed that too but didn't want to say it.
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

Knew it was her, another familiar face caught my eye, Inuzuka Asana, another (former) SKE, i immediately recognized her when the camera focused on her (time stamp 27:03, the girl on the left), checked the credits as well, i think she was on the earlier episodes too, will rewatch the series again to confirm for myself.

Seeing Nakamura walk on eggshells when Kitashiro was around was so funny, specially when Kano had nowhere to hide in the elevator plus there's the lunch break scene.

The whole speech to go home early was epic, going all front and center so she can go home early yet hiding the fact that she's only doing it so she can free some space on her DVR to record and watch tokusatsu, now that's dedication lol!

Male idols aren't my cup of tea, even the very popular ones like Arashi, but seeing Kano & Hisami dance was my takeaway.

So Ninkyou is pretty much the Cherda of the group, i thought as much :P
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thanks for noting that! Honestly, I wish the people who worked on the Japanese wiki were as dedicated.

A lot of the guys are from BOYS AND MEN. The main guest star who's played multiple role is the comedy partner for Ninkyou-san's actor in KAMINARI.

I guess there's a SKE48 connection too? I notice a lot of times guests will come from the same talent agency, guess it's just easier that way?
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:57 am Thanks for noting that! Honestly, I wish the people who worked on the Japanese wiki were as dedicated.

A lot of the guys are from BOYS AND MEN. The main guest star who's played multiple role is the comedy partner for Ninkyou-san's actor in KAMINARI.

I guess there's a SKE48 connection too? I notice a lot of times guests will come from the same talent agency, guess it's just easier that way?
I followed a lot of idols before, AKB, SKE, NMB, HKT, Nogizaka, Keyakizaka & Momoclo, i think i stopped like some year ago or so, so i recognize some faces, i just loved watching the variety shows they were in, specially the dokkiri ones, yet i think don't fall into the 'dol Ota category :P, i do still follow Keyakizaka from time to time.

It's funny that Uchiyama Mikoto's name in the series is Shiraishi Mai, she's Nogizaka, they even deliberately showed the N46 song "Influencer" in the tablet on the initial karaoke scene.

Return to “Tokusatsu GAGAGA”