My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Super Sentai Saikyou Battle 02 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's SSSB rating: 4.4 / 5 (10 votes)

Alt Title: Sentai Battle Royale

Woo, more fun stuff! Give me all the nostalgia stuff. As people pointed out yesterday, this is so much more delicious than what we're getting in Zi-O. I mean, if Toei doesn't want their two nostalgia shows compared, maybe don't hit that nostalgia button so frequently?

It's amazing how much more tolerable and likeable Yamato and Takaharu are in this show. I guess it shows the difference good writing can make for a show.

I'm just a bit disappointed that Kagura hasn't done anything yet. As the lone woman who's a "regular", you'd think she'd have more stuff to do.

Oh good, Marvelous remembered that he can do the Gokai Change thing. Now that's interesting. It seems like everyone he transforms into is a missing ranger from the fight:
viewtopic.php?f=248&t=23307&start=30#p262200

Honestly, I think Gaisorg is kind of boring. I'd much rather have a show where Toei just posts their fanfics of their past characters meeting and being cool characters and hanging out.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Super Sentai Saikyou Battle 02 released

Post by Lunagel »

FFS Takaharu, making a butt elbow? This is why no one likes you.

The gyoza bit later? Also not funny. Still an insufferable twat.

I really wish Kagura had more of a role here, she seems to be relegated to cheering squad.

Aaaaand a twist that while unexpected, is not really that interesting.

Honestly I was more thrilled by the split-second of Hikaru-sensei's costume last episode than I was this entire episode. Give me Magiranger 15 years after please.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Nice to get those flashbacks. At this point it definitely seems that Gaisorg is using hosts inside his armour much like the armour in Abaranger.
Spoiler
Next week we finally get Kagura fighting. Admit it, ToQ 5gou vs Deka Master is the fight you never realised you needed in your life.

It also kind of looks like Takaharu's gonna die/leave and Doggie is gonna join their team.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

"Never give up" was Kai Samezu/Gao Blue's catchphrase (usually said when his good friend Soutarou Ushigome/Gao Black was struggling). So it's understandable that Kakeru said it here.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

This made me realize that I REALLY need to finish Zyuohger...after I finish Go-Busters that is xD
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I enjoyed Takaharu in this episode more than in every episode of Ninninger combined. He's significantly more competent, both as a fighter and as a character.

Shame ToQ5 hasn't really done anything yet.
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity
Alignment: Neutral

Post by fartboy »

Still no sign of Denziman. Did they actually forget about them? I mean, they showed why Goranger wasn't in the battle, and the dinosaur Sentais are probably gone for some storyline reason as well. But this is strange.
Doublesteel
Infinity

Post by Doublesteel »

4 things:

1. The cheapness of the "invite" prop still bothers me.

2. How easy it is to mellow Capt. Marvelous, shitty joke and the angst evaporates.

3. Putting it in spoiler tags just in case
Spoiler
putting top dollar that like HowlingSnail mentioned above the armor is just using hosts, added to that, the orange clear ryousoul the B plot hinted at belongs to Camisole
4. Crying a bit at the missed chance to see the legendary god hand fail again.
zigmenthotep
Adventure
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zigmenthotep »

Takaharu is doing a really good job of reminding me how Ninninger had a lot of potential and just fell completely flat.
Really enjoying how they're putting actual story in this, considering they could have gotten away with just cool fights and cameos.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Huh, still another week of just one or two heroes fighting alone rather than fighting as a whole team. I really hope they're just saving that until the final episode, otherwise this is going to be a big letdown.

Overall the plot is kind of simplistic and the telegraphing is extremely obvious, but it's not bad. I do feel like the writers kind of had to "break" the heroes to create the conflict in this episode though, as all of them are seasoned veterans and Marvelous got that specific chip off his shoulder years ago. Though to be fair to Yamato, it's not like the rest of the team was even around when their next match was called...

Despite what some others are saying, I really don't know if I'd consider Takaharu "improved" here. But by not being the leading character of the show - and by not having him shout about hotness the whole episode - he's delivered in easier to digest bite-sized chunks. Which makes him a lot more manageable, even if the writers are definitely leaning into him being an idiot savant. And he's definitely less annoying than friggin Rita (I know she's essentially her own comedic relief, but geeze...).

Edit: Also, the timeline stuff is a bit weird. Takaharu mentioned that Troll-Grandpa was the current Last Ninja. But he's been dead a few years now. So one would think that the characters have been plucked out of time for their respective shows, however Stinger only got his jacket at the very end of Kyuuranger. So heck if I know what's going on.

As for the fights themselves, it was another good week of action. Though I think someone should call fowl on Yamato using power-up forms, especially Whale. :P Whale and that hand-cannon of his is pretty much god mode, and he could blow up the whole planet on his own. It's all rather unfair, especially against opponents who don't have power-ups of their own.

And I'm really missing robo fights.:(
takenoko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:28 am I'm just a bit disappointed that Kagura hasn't done anything yet. As the lone woman who's a "regular", you'd think she'd have more stuff to do.
I guess they're making it so that she gets to go last? Someone has to bring up the rear, be it a fight card or a train. But yeah, it's such a typical Toei thing to do to make the girl go last.
Lunagel wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:31 pm Aaaaand a twist that while unexpected, is not really that interesting.
My thoughts exactly. Since we don't even know what the deal is with the Ryusoulgers, having one of them running around in this fashion isn't very compelling. Since it's a nostalgia series, by the virtue of being an unknown, the new guy comes with no nostalgia.

And since Takaharu clearly isn't actually the bad guy, it's very obviously a feint or body snatch. (this is all being telegraphed in a very obvious manner)
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Clearly somebody behind the scenes really likes Yamato! Not that I'm complaining. If I was in charge, I'd be making my favourites look as cool as possible too. These fights do become amusingly lopsided if there's no limit placed on what powers the fighters can call upon on. Most modern reds are going to have an advantage. I mean how would anyone else even deal with Shishi Red Orion?

Anyhow, the special continues to deliver great action and a story that isn't entirely throwaway. Obviously they're not trying to fool you into thinking that Takaharu was the villain all along, but rather just further make you ask just what is Gaisorg's deal or where he came from. Granted it's not guaranteed those questions will even be answered by the end of all this.

Finally though, next episode is time for ToQ5 to get in some action. I wanna hear Kagura yell about how strong she is and then throw her opponent over her head!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

>b]Edit[/b]: Also, the timeline stuff is a bit weird. Takaharu mentioned that Troll-Grandpa was the current Last Ninja. But he's been dead a few years now. So one would think that the characters have been plucked out of time for their respective shows, however Stinger only got his jacket at the very end of Kyuuranger. So heck if I know what's going on.

Isn't it currently a battle of succession? With the dad powerless and no clear heir, that's why the cousins are competing to see who gets to be Last Ninja

>
Lunagel wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:31 pm Aaaaand a twist that while unexpected, is not really that interesting.
My thoughts exactly. Since we don't even know what the deal is with the Ryusoulgers, having one of them running around in this fashion isn't very compelling. Since it's a nostalgia series, by the virtue of being an unknown, the new guy comes with no nostalgia.

I do like that the hint is in the name. Gai in Gaisorg means "armor" in Japanese. It's also why Kamen Rider Gai is in Ryuki, since it goes with the knight theme.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 am Isn't it currently a battle of succession? With the dad powerless and no clear heir, that's why the cousins are competing to see who gets to be Last Ninja
Well it was a battle of succession. IIRC, didn't the series end with all of them deciding that they were each the Last Ninja of some specialized field? Plus the Last Ninja star was destroyed, so no one can truly be the Last Ninja anymore.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

Details, tomatoes.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

I was about 90% sure that when Gaizorg's helmet comes off, they would leave the face reveal part for the next episode, but heck- showing Takaharu's face doesn't make much of a difference.
Spoiler
It looks like that certain person whose name starts with 'L' inside Gaisorg's armor in the preview, doesn't it?
Was NinjaWhite's actress in this episode? I barely heard her speak.

All in all, an above average episode (but still better than how Zi-O is coming about). The Takaharu bits were funny and not funny at the same time, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Kagura in action in the next episode.
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD

Return to “Super Sentai Saikyou Battle”