Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Sentai Saikyou Battle 2005-2009

Post by takenoko »

This is really hard because I love all my babies. Magi was one of my favorite toku series for years. Loved the magical family, MagiKing, MagiDragon, Wolzard, and the Star Wars style story.

Boukenger was a real solid sentai, with cool themes and great characters. There were a lot of stylish moments in the series as well as funny ones with Akashi as a stern leader. Sadly, this was also the start of the clusterfuck gattai.

GekiRanger had two of the best villains in Sentai, Mele and Lio. The super forms are one of my favorite suit designs. (Jyushouwan???) Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the two extra rangers. Minus points for GekiChopper's worst Christmas ever.

Go-Onger was just an okay series, but it really became beloved to me when the Wings joined up. After that it was a lot of fun.

But Shinkenger. What a story. Super cool Japanese culture stuff, stories of duty and lineage. And what a bold twist near the end. Shinkenger wins, hands down.

Not an easy decision.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Aghhhhhhhh

Shinkenger is objectively best but I love Magi but Geki is my babyyyyy
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

Super tough choice for me, too, as I've seen all of these and loved them all. I really liked the family dynamic in Magi. Bouken had a great sense of adventure (duh) and I really liked the robos in it. Geki had sweet music, more awesome kung-fu choreography, and yeah, great villains. Shinkenger had a solid cast and story, with great back-story, a cool twist, and an epic feel. It was close between it and my final choice, Go-Onger. To date, Go-Onger is still my favorite Sentai. They're goofy, fun, and never give up. The series was just so enjoyable, and left a big impression on me.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

I can't decide. These are all too good for me.
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

Shinkenger all the way
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

Of these lot I'm ashamed to say I've only watched Gekiranger and Go-Onger. But I'll definitely get to watching the other three.
I'll give it to Go-Onger because I liked it better than Gekiranger. Probably because it's got cars in it and, as much as I like cats (A LOT!), I like cars more.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Mahou Sentai MagiRanger - Ehhhh. I need to rewatch it but it's hard to shake off when I watched it around 2008 and I had to be talked into finishing it past the Infershia Gods debut. Something about it just felt off to me and I can't quite place it (maybe it's the lack of stunt work, idk).

GoGo Sentai Boukenger - "Makino-san, please take the comment that would go here and hit self-destruct", "Roger!".

JyuKen Sentai GekiRanger - Waki waki! To the limit of my will! I need to rewatch this one but it's a fun show even if I don't care much for Ken. Maitta ze!

Engine Sentai Go-Onger - Ehhhh. My first weekly, once I caught up, but even back then I wasn't too keen on it. It's a car sentai but without the heart or messages of the prior two. I guess Sousuke is fun, though?

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger - If you've only seen PR Samurai, you owe it to yourself to watch the original. The Shiba arc at the end does a much, much better job of tying everything up than "It's Lauren, she's my sister". Also, the OST courtesy of Hiroshi Takaki is great and so is the general casting.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Poll changed to allow two votes, so give your runner-up some love!

Poll as of change:

Mahou Sentai MagiRanger 2 10%

GoGo Sentai Boukenger 0 No votes

JyuKen Sentai GekiRanger 6 29%

Engine Sentai Go-Onger 2 10%

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger 11 52%
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Go-Onger may not be the best series up there, but it was airing when I got into Tokusatsu in 2008 so its the most special to me.

Because we get a 2nd vote, I voted for Shinkenger as well, as it is objectively not only the best out of the selections, but in contention for greatest Sentai of all time.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Shinkenger hands down but Magiranger is a VERY close second for me.
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

This is the first poll where i've seen every season... and it's difficult. obviously Shinkenger is hands-down out and out winner. It's just objectively better than most other seasons of sentai. but all the others are shoe ins for that 2nd vote. I'm stuck between Gekiranger & Boukenger. Geki having Rio & Mele, the coolest looking suits and one of the best fights in all of sentai, Boukenger just being a really solid show with multiple villain factions that i enjoyed.
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Blackcondorguy »

Shinkenger, obviously.
Boukenger has my 2nd vote for being very solid.

But it was a tough battle since all thoses series were good (except for Go-onger which was just ok).
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

2nd vote here goes to Shinkenger, which didn't need my vote as it's the runaway lead. Everything was great in this series: everything! I love how Dayuu and Juuzou chose to be the way they were, despite their sad stories and perceived chance for redemption. Unlike a lot of these villain types in Sentai, they stayed their dark paths throughout. Great, intense stuff!
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

This was definitely the hardest group to choose from. Shinken was my introduction in to Sentai and I will always love it. The real tough decision came between Geki and Magi for me. I love them both for very different reasons. Magi has great themes and some of the coolest mecha (I am so happy with the MagiKing toy I imported from Japan). But I loved the characters and growth shown in Geki. The second vote from me went to Geki in the end because as much as I loved MagiRanger, I didn't quite finish the series.

Return to “Sentai”