KR Zi-O 37 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:17 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
47%
☆☆☆☆
37%
☆☆☆
11%
☆☆
5%
No votes

Total votes: 19
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: KR Zi-O 37 released

Post by takenoko »

Yeah Woz, why don't you use your super space powers to take care of those asteroids?

Isn't Tsukuyomi the shifty time traveler?

It's not the strongest episode, but at least it's not outright bad like the last month of episodes?

I don't think they've developed Sougo enough to make me care about him. I like the little bits where they characterize him as a lonely kid. But then you see him act like the most fluffy child man and all sympathy goes away. Maybe it would have been better if he were more of a Gentarou, and was just trying to befriend all the Riders.

All hail the boy king 2019.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:03 am I don't think they've developed Sougo enough to make me care about him. I like the little bits where they characterize him as a lonely kid. But then you see him act like the most fluffy child man and all sympathy goes away. Maybe it would have been better if he were more of a Gentarou, and was just trying to befriend all the Riders.

All hail the boy king 2019.
I think the problem is that Zi-O is a ripoff of Decade so the Sougo can't be another aloof Gary Stu, and it's coming after Gokaigers so Sougo can't be a capable badass. So instead we get Sougo who is not only a blank slate, but also a slate were all writing vanishes after a week or too. I mean, one show after Yuuko dies in his arms he's as annoyingly happy go lucky as ever. I bet that he will greet Oha in a couple of weeks with a cheery hello. Sougo is like a pro wrestler whose opponent has beaten him up, tarred and feathered him, stole his wife, destroyed his car with a sledgehammer, and killed his dog, and the wrestler is STILL not mad.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:03 am Isn't Tsukuyomi the shifty time traveler?
Eh, she's mysterious. But Decade is basically abducting people from time to time. So he's the shifty king for the moment.
It's not the strongest episode, but at least it's not outright bad like the last month of episodes?
You're right that neither the Hibiki or Kiva arcs were very good. However this one isn't any better, at least from my point of view. And actually I wouldn't mind as much if it had some greater ambition. The Kiva arc fell flat on its face, but it at least tried to show us something about the Zi-O crew. Whereas this episode feels like it's one of the first dozen episodes, except with better fan service.
I don't think they've developed Sougo enough to make me care about him.
They definitely haven't. And in fairness to the writers, this is always the challenge when doing a nostalgia series. Still, it could definitely be done better.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

That shot. The man looking at the wall. *wipes forehead*

The Worms initiate another invasion.

Yep. Something's wrong. Kagami seems to be the only person who remembered what happened to Shibuya back in 1999. Seems Yaguruma has not learned from his time with Rena-san.

I haven't been eating instant ramen lately, though I'm tempted to just buy one in Little Tokyo & try it at home.

Timestamp 07:32 - some dumbass in audio forgot about the Hopper Zecter's "Change - Kick Hopper" declaration. Cut the dumbass' pay.

OK episode. Slow plot progression, please go fast.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

>> Timestamp 07:32 - some dumbass in audio forgot about the Hopper Zecter's "Change - Kick Hopper" declaration. Cut the dumbass' pay.

On the flip-side, where was that guy during Ghost or Ex-Aid? Could've used some belt noises being forgotten...
Layton13
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: It's showtime!

Post by Layton13 »

PDA wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 am
how much people here care about zi-o/sougo development now? please sincere answers.
I do, I actually care more about ZI-O's cast than Builds. I'm dead serious. I really enjoy Sougo he is a very interesting and unique character. I enjoy the fact that he is a relatively smart cocky when it comes to people. Geiz's character ark is great in my opinion and very well developed so you can see how he develops from episode to episode. Woz is interesting and has grown as well. And even if Tsukuyomi is the weakest link, she has also grown as a character.

In my personal opinion, ZI-O's characters are very well developed and really, compared to Build where I liked Sento and Banjo while the rest were between uninteresting to absolute wastes of space I prefer ZI-O.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 pm >> Timestamp 07:32 - some dumbass in audio forgot about the Hopper Zecter's "Change - Kick Hopper" declaration. Cut the dumbass' pay.

On the flip-side, where was that guy during Ghost or Ex-Aid? Could've used some belt noises being forgotten...
Are you being sarcastic or do you seriously not get they were going for a more dramatic effect by forgoing the usual transformation sound.
Layton13 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:06 pm I do, I actually care more about ZI-O's cast than Builds. I'm dead serious. I really enjoy Sougo he is a very interesting and unique character. I enjoy the fact that he is a relatively smart cocky when it comes to people. Geiz's character ark is great in my opinion and very well developed so you can see how he develops from episode to episode. Woz is interesting and has grown as well. And even if Tsukuyomi is the weakest link, she has also grown as a character.

In my personal opinion, ZI-O's characters are very well developed and really, compared to Build where I liked Sento and Banjo while the rest were between uninteresting to absolute wastes of space I prefer ZI-O.
Put me in as someone who is also genuinely investrd in Zi-O's cast. Obviously there is the disadvantage that they have only been able to develop during key episodes that didn't have to do with tributes, or by sprinkling such scenes in the middle of recent arc, but I actually am way more fond of the three riders then I ever thought I'd be. Tsukiyomi not as much but she's not unbearable to watch or anything
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

BreadToku wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:30 pm
Go-On Macaroni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 pm >> Timestamp 07:32 - some dumbass in audio forgot about the Hopper Zecter's "Change - Kick Hopper" declaration. Cut the dumbass' pay.

Are you being sarcastic or do you seriously not get they were going for a more dramatic effect by forgoing the usual transformation sound.
Kinda mostly serious, there? As much fun as it could be to click a Rider toy and hear a sound, I tend to think it's a pain sometimes in the actual show because Toei's not always the best sound editors (and Sentai's not exempt from it either as evident by Kyoryuger). So, I was being a bit of a goof playing off TSU's comment by wishing that whoever edited that scene had been around during Ghost and Ex-Aid because hoo boy were those audio cacophonies.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:59 pm Kinda mostly serious, there? As much fun as it could be to click a Rider toy and hear a sound, I tend to think it's a pain sometimes in the actual show because Toei's not always the best sound editors (and Sentai's not exempt from it either as evident by Kyoryuger). So, I was being a bit of a goof playing off TSU's comment by wishing that whoever edited that scene had been around during Ghost and Ex-Aid because hoo boy were those audio cacophonies.
Ah, that's fair. When you bring that up, I do distinctly remember how in Ex-Aid, sone of my favourite uses of insert songs tend to get drowned out in a sea of voice clips.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Sooo, am I the only one who remembers that the Hoppers can't use Clock Up? @_@

This one just felt really really weird, honestly. Like it wasn't bad, so that's a step up already, but it felt very blase about the plot starting off and how the Kabuto characters slid into place. Kagami is a welcome return though the Hell Brothers felt a bit shoehorned in. Why would the Worm returning to Earth instigate things by taking on the appearance of a man who died years ago? And how does that work into Yaguruma becoming Another Kabuto? And while its nice they actually recognize the fact that they're having Another Riders and their respective Riders both active at the same time, they sound like they're barely gonna do anything with the idea. The idea that time and space are becoming muddled might have promise, if they don't mess that up too.

Coming off seeing the Heisei Forever movie, we know they're at least moderately capable of doing decent work with their cameos but it seems without the theatrical budget and time, they just slide back into old habits. Tsukuyomi getting background plot unveiled works fine but I do hate that they're sidelining Decade into being essentially her backstory tour guide for the whole thing thus far.
Layton13
Infinity

Post by Layton13 »

Dante ShadowRoadz wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:37 pm Sooo, am I the only one who remembers that the Hoppers can't use Clock Up? @_@
They never used it in the show, but it was never established that they couldn't use it. And it would be extremely stupid to have Zekt Riders without Clock Up since their foes use super speed. Really, that is fine and actually logical, so yeah, I have no problem with it.
PDA
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by PDA »

Layton13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:54 pm
Dante ShadowRoadz wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:37 pm Sooo, am I the only one who remembers that the Hoppers can't use Clock Up? @_@
They never used it in the show, but it was never established that they couldn't use it. And it would be extremely stupid to have Zekt Riders without Clock Up since their foes use super speed. Really, that is fine and actually logical, so yeah, I have no problem with it.
hopper gear seems like a prototype to me: no weapons, no armored form.

we really dont know if hoppers have or not clock up hability

IMO they dont have clock up powers.
Layton13
Infinity

Post by Layton13 »

PDA wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:22 pm
Layton13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:54 pm

hopper gear seems like a prototype to me: no weapons, no armored form.

we really dont know if hoppers have or not clock up hability

IMO they dont have clock up powers.
Yes, we don't know, so giving them Clock Up abilities in ZI-O does not contradict anything. Is it technically a retcon? Sure. Is it canon now and doesn't contradict previous information? Yes. We shouldn't confuse headcanon with actual canon.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Kick and Punch Hopper are Rider Forms right (as opposed to Masked Forms)? If so, then they probably should be able to Clock Up.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Well, considering Punch Hopper is a Worm while Kick Hopper is Another Kabuto, I think it's safe to say that even if the Hopper couldn't during Kabuto (if I remember correctly, they never needed it during Kabuto), they can now.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”