Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Shin Ultraman. 2021. Higuchi will direct, Anno will produce/write

Post by TypicalStandUser »

ANN and the Tsuburaya page has the report.

Days after landing a deal to import the franchise to the outside world, the franchise has launched something big. A new film involving the duo who directed Shin Godzilla.

This is of VESTED interest to both Shinji Higuchi and Hideaki Anno because they've made Ultraman parody films back in 1983.

I hope this project succeeds.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Re: Shin Ultraman. 2021. Higuchi will direct, Anno will produce/write

Post by Mxylv »

Huh. Between sharing a name, writer, director and co-production company with Shin Gojira, it does look a bit like a cash grab; with that said, I'm willing to hope it'll be a good cash grab. The concept kinda reminds me of the context-less 2015 trailer combined with 2004's ULTRAMAN: The Next, in terms of what it may look or feel like, but for now we can only guess. TBH with how much the Ultraman shows' ratings have slipped I'm impressed that Tsuburaya have the budget to pursue something like this.

My biggest concern is the potential for treating it like merely a disaster movie; when my family and I saw Shin Gojira, some felt its approach was politically and bureaucratically heavy enough to defeat the point of giant monster movies as escapism (which I can definitely see), but since Ultraman as a character has held justice (and fighting other monsters) as a defining attribute, hopefully it'll have some content a little more similar to what we know the character for.

Either way, this is quite an interesting development; I'm looking forward to seeing the first non-obligatory Ultraman film since... Saga? It's been a while.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Shin Ultraman. 2021. Higuchi will direct, Anno will produce/write

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Oricon & Mantan have new reports.

According to reports, Shin Ultraman is particularly based on an Ultraman portrait made by Toru Narita, a member of the OG show's production crew.

The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.

Return to “Ultraman”