Zi-O series discussion and poll

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:15 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ The greatest, kindest demon king
5%
☆☆☆☆ Level up
14%
☆☆☆ Sougo, plain toast
24%
☆☆ Not quite worth destroying
43%
☆ The worst, most villainous demon king
14%

Total votes: 37
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Re: Zi-O series discussion and poll

Post by CheetahLynx »

I'd like to talk about the aesthetics of the show because I quite liked the visual side of it.
  • The henshin sequence was pretty cool, especially the first time with the world spin thing and the kana flying out of the background.
  • I liked the costumes for the most part even if base-form Zi-O was a bit plain. I liked the inclusion of kana into the riders' visors. Most, if not all of the another riders had very cool designs and I liked how distinctive they were. The only exception to this in my opinion was Decade Armor, that thing's design was terrible.
  • I especially loved how each rider was themed after a different kind of timekeeping:
    • Zi-O: analog watch.
    • Zi-O II: those crazy people who wear two watches at once.
    • Zi-O Trinity: those watches for kids that have the faces that flip up to show the time (or at least that's what it looked like to me)
    • Grand Zi-O: clock tower.
    • Oma Zi-O: ridiculously expensive, goldplated, diamond encrusted, swiss watch.
    • Geiz: digital watch.
    • Geiz Revive: hourglass.
    • Woz: smart watch.
    • Tsukuyomi: the moon phases (?)
As for the rest of the show, the good bits were great and the rest was meh.
My favorite character was probably Uncle Junichirou.
I'd also like to point out that I share a birthday with a main Rider, so that's... something... I guess...

3/5. Didn't hate it, didn't love it either.

P.S: Thank you TV-Nihon for another excellently subbed series, knocked out of the park as usual :D
Here's to a great start for the Reiwa era!
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Dengar wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:26 pm -What's the origin of the Zi-O rider system?
-We know Geiz stole the Ride Watches he had from Zi-O, but why does a second Time Triver exist, and why does the Geiz watch exist? At least Tsukuyomi's watch has an explanation.
-Speaking of Tsukuyomi, she has no powers. That hand blade thing is just a convenient back stab thing. But if you think about it, there's no weapons, no special moves, or anything really. She didn't even use a finisher.
-Why did Woz betray the resistance and join Zi-O.
-How does a timeline reset move people from the future or alternate timelines into the present? I get that Heure and Ora were revived because Sougo is an idiot, but how does this even work? I guess chalk this up to timeline nonsense shenanigans since none of the time shenanigans made sense, not even internally.
-None of the time shenanigans made sense, not even internally.
-No, you don't suddenly get to obtain the power of Oma Zi-O just because you're angry. I get that Zi-O is an evolving power, but that evolution has to be earned somehow. The scene made it look like this evolution could have happened at any time.. Such as before he saw his friends die.
So many good questions! Wish the writer cared enough about the worldbuilding to answer some of them

-Did Schwartz exist in the timeline of the Oma Zi-O of the future? Seems to me that he didn't. Not to mention, the Oma Zi-O of the future didn't have any friends for Schwartz to kill.

Gosh, for a moment it seemed like Sougo and Tsukuyomi were going to have a major twist connection... but that didn't ever come to fruition. So maybe they have no relationship at all, and it's okay for them to fuck?

-Did Schwartz really need to emotionally manipulate Sougo into becoming Oma Zi-O to take his power? I mean clearly he was destined to do so anyway. Why not wait for that moment to come and strike then?

If only he had a time machine capable of going to the future...

-No obtaining the Drive watch. Despite having a cameo from Chase.

I think this is a "go watch the movie" thing...
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I doubt the movie will explain anything any better than the show.
relax23456
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gobus,Gaim,Deka,Geki
2nd Favorite Series: W,MagiGokai,Blade
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Stay hungry, stay foolish
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by relax23456 »

I give this a 3. Plain vanilla. I do like the design and the watch themes but that's about it.

Too many loopholes.

Alternate worlds and alternate timelines plots are confusing. Den-O did the time travel, Build created the new world. Decade did the AU. However post-decade, all riders have existed in the same world. What has changed to make the riders in different worlds?
Who created the rider system and how did Geiz or even Woz have it initially.
Ohma Zi-O in 2068, what turned him to be that way? No friends?
How did Schwartz's managed to manipulate Ora and Huere to follow him?
And the relationship between Geiz and Tsukuyomi and Woz are murky at best.
Zi-O trinity seems a bit forced, as Geiz and Black Woz were never shown to be close.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Going into this series, I felt kind of bad for the writers. They were being tasked with doing a nostalgia/tribute season, which means that along with all of the requirements from Toei and Bandai for their 22 minute live action belt-brandishing toy commercial, the writers would also be encumbered with the mandate to do a bunch of tribute episodes and nods to past seasons. 49 episodes seems like a lot, but when you strip out the toys, the fights, etc, it's not necessarily a ton of time to work with to tell a serialized, year-long story. And these poor writers then had to split that time with fulfilling Toei's anniversary mandate. So I'm not sure the show ever stood a chance.

Which is not to say that it was all bad from the very start. The show has plenty of sins (and several of us have already counted them up), however it also had its virtues. Even early on, the show's interesting, exotic music was brought to the forefront. And we had the primary and secondary riders right off the bat (and one them had bloody murder in their eyes!). For all the show's faults, I'm not sure the problem is in the setup, but rather the execution. The show never was able to pivot on its premise and deliver both a consistently captivating and a concurrently coherent story.

What dogged the show more than anything else, I feel, is the characters. The best characters in the series were not the main characters, but rather it was the secondary riders. Geiz with his well-founded desire to kill young, naive Sougo, and then the highly charismatic Woz. The former had a really good character arc, and the latter was just fun to watch (though wow, did they ever drop his sole plot thread!).

The problem with this, however, is that these aren't the main characters - the lead of the series. Instead we got Kamen Rider Turnip, who had no personality and the intellect to match his namesake. To be absolutely fair to the writers here, you can't have a character arc if your character is perfect from the start; Sougo had to have flaws. But he was created with the wrong kind of flaws, and that left him largely an uninteresting character right up until the end. All too often, while he had the screen time of the main character, it often felt like the plot of the story itself was happening around and to Sougo, but Sougo wasn't getting to drive things forward in turn. Sougo was too passive of a character, when KR really demands an active lead character.

And the flip side of this coin is that the Big Bad was no better. Schwartz's backstory and plan were such a convoluted mess. And for all the screen time he had (and for as much as his actor seemed to enjoy being the bad guy), he just didn't seem to get very many memorable, defining character moments. In terms of the plot he was pulling all the strings - in a lot of ways Zi-O mirrored Build's flaw of having the heroes dance to the Big Bad's tune for most of the series, just less overtly than Build - but that control wasn't used appropriately to build up Schwartz's character and screen presence.

In the end, if both your hero and your villain suck, how are you supposed to have a good show?

Thankfully, while some critical areas of the show were weak, there were some other places where the show succeeded. I've already mentioned the music (the "serious" BGM track they were using towards the end is an ear worm), and the Another Rider suits were absolutely fantastic. Some were better than others, but Another Double, Another Drive, and Another Zi-O all stand out as being hideous monstrosities; they really did look like nightmare fuel versions of the original riders. I wish other KR series had monster designs that were so inspired. (And I wish Another Decade was as equally inspired; shame it's one of the worst AR designs)

Similarly, while a lot of Zi-O's hero designs were unmemorable (or in Trinity's case, ugly), Zi-O II stands out as a really good suit design. It's not too gaudy, and it just looks powerful.

Which brings us to a tangent: Grand Zi-O. Never in a KR series before have I seen the writers try so hard to avoid using the Rider's ultimate form. Grand Zi-O was spoiled from the beginning, and then the watch got stolen a few times, Grand got beaten down a couple of times, and then more stuff happened such that Sougo couldn't use it. I'm used to most KR series spamming it as a finisher for the last 1-2 months of a show, but Zi-O went in a completely opposite direction. Grand Zi-O was only used a handful of times, and then it only worked in a fraction of those cases. I don't know if this was the writers' idea of controlling power inflation or what, but the end result was that Grand Zi-O was run through the ringer. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall of the writer's room to find out the backstory there.

But if there's a saving grace to Grand Zi-O getting neutered, it's that it kept Grand from undermining Oma Zi-O. Within the series Oma is more powerful, and out of the series it's such a better suit design. I'm sure Toei will recycle it at some point, but I kind of wish that the Oma suit had more screen time/more fights. It's the best looking gold-colored Rider suit to date.

Ultimately, up until the finale, I had been sitting on the fence about whether I'd vote Zi-O as a whole a 2 or a 3. The show had flashes of greatness, but it's also been clear for a while now that it wasn't going to achieve it. So instead, it became a question of how well the show would wrap itself up, and ultimately the show didn't do very well there.
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:15 pm And the comparisons. I feel like the Decade stories were just better written. Yeah, they were AU, but at least it felt like watching a mini episode of the series. Versus in Zi-O where a cameo will show up, maybe he'll help out or maybe he'll do nothing and hand over a Watch. The quality was just all over the place, whereas the Decade stuff felt pretty cohesive.

Like even if Decade was headed toward a nothing ending, at least it felt like the journey meant something. Compare that to Zi-O hitting the Oma Day and it not mattering, or passing us by, or being prevented. Having Oma Zi-O be a threat in the future never felt like an end goal, since he just sat in a chair this whole time and turned out to be not that bad a guy to begin with.
Since everyone is doing Decade comparisons...

For all of its flaws, I still rank Zi-O as a better series than Decade. Decade wasn't without its strengths as well, but the world-building/plot were absolutely non-existent. Or at least, the writers gave up even trying after a point. Instead, it's basically just a series of loosely stitched together fan fics, with Decade as the self-insert character. Which definitely made for some interesting two-parters, and some fun fights (the crab band jam has gone down in history), but it doesn't make up for the lack of a larger plot.

Zi-O at least tried. It didn't do very well, but the writers tried to have a coherent story connecting the start to the end, and everything in between. Which is also why I'm cool with Decade showing up in Zi-O as a supporting character; it was neat that the writers were able to bring him back, and it felt like a bit of an apology for how Decade's series turned out.

PS What was up with Decade initially antagonizing Zi-O? He seemed to be aware of what was really going on, so I still don't get it.
takenoko wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:25 pm Gosh, for a moment it seemed like Sougo and Tsukuyomi were going to have a major twist connection... but that didn't ever come to fruition. So maybe they have no relationship at all, and it's okay for them to fuck?
Sougo and Tsukuyomi's relationship is very weird. It's easily the most platonic we've had between the main character and the female lead in several years, even more so than Emu/Poppy. If anything, it strikes me as being almost maternal; Tsukuyomi comes in and saves Sougo from Geiz, tries to raise him right, has a minor freak out when she realizes her turnip might actually be a monster, and then comes to rely on Sougo as her protector. I still am surprised that they aren't related.

Now Geiz and Tsukuyomi on the other hand were totally sharing that room above the clock shop...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

If Geiz and Tsukuyomi had a relationship, that might have made both of them more interesting as characters. The scene where Geiz thinks Tsukuyomi is dead is so ridiculously unearned.

Anyway, great write up as always Virge! Very even handed take on Zi-O.

Ultimately, it probably was a mistake to leave the lead writing to Shimoyama (28 episodes) and Mouri (19 episodes). They're both comedy writers who are a lot stronger at doing two arc episodes. Right from the first episode, I was complaining about the lack of world building. Like, what did you expect to from the guys who've only major feather in the cap was being the main writer for Ninninger and the main writer for KyuuRanger?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I guess the main issue is that they don't bother sticking to their own rules on the world building (how the ride watches affect past riders in the early VS later arcs). Combined with uninteresting characters and you get something interesting.

At least with a series like say Build, it has flaws, but the core group of characters is strong and there is relatively consistent world building, so it attempts to function as a proper series.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I would give the series 1.5/5.

Maybe the actor who plays Sougo will blossom and be an great actor, but he was horribly miscast here. The only way someone this bland and non-charismatic could have worked is if the show was a comedy/parody (maybe having an intermediate power up called "Kamen Rider Zi-O fair to middling").

The same with Tsukuyomi. Maybe she will also blossom some day as an actress and she is striking looking, but her character gets nothing to do 80% of the time. They could have made her Science Girl 2 and have her work fixing up the Time Mazines and actually teaching Turnip how to fly it, but we got nothing instead.

The plot made no sense from the beginning, so much so that you could have had Turnip be confused by it all the time and have to have Tsukuyomi exposition dump him, but that would require the writers themselves to know what was going on.

The Team Rocket villain team blew chunks: Jessie and James never got back stories and Meoweth just did random things that Woz tried to cover by pretending that his plan was deep.

Woz and Geiz made the show raise from being a 1/5 but there was only so much they could do.

Also, the ending. Ora and Heure showing up as kouhai's is possible because we have zero backstory for them and they could have been regular kids that Schwartz brainwashed, but how does Tsukuyomi and Geiz show up? The only real explanation I can think of is that Sougo lost the fight to Schwartz and Schwartz trapped Sougo into a special Another World where everyone goes to school in cool school uniforms and is happy, sort of like the last episode of Evangelion TV.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

You know, now that twenty year anniversary show is over, I was thinking of making a poll topic where people might vote for and/or discuss all the Heisei era Kamen Rider shows and then individually rank them if they want. (i'd make the poll so each person could vote three favourites) I don't know if that kind of thing is only allowed by mods or not though.

EDIT: I just found out polls here only allow up to 16 options! That's rather unfortunate and kind of defeats the purpose! Though honestly I guess I just wanted an excuse to write some thoughts about all the rider shows I've watched over the years.
ViRGE wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:24 am Never in a KR series before have I seen the writers try so hard to avoid using the Rider's ultimate form. Grand Zi-O was spoiled from the beginning, and then the watch got stolen a few times, Grand got beaten down a couple of times, and then more stuff happened such that Sougo couldn't use it. I'm used to most KR series spamming it as a finisher for the last 1-2 months of a show, but Zi-O went in a completely opposite direction. Grand Zi-O was only used a handful of times, and then it only worked in a fraction of those cases. I don't know if this was the writers' idea of controlling power inflation or what, but the end result was that Grand Zi-O was run through the ringer. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall of the writer's room to find out the backstory there.
What's funny is that last year I was thinking to myself how Build Genius might have been the most underwhelming final form I could recall since it not only didn't possess any particularly unique or impressive powers, but it tended to lose a lot. Now Grand Zi-O absolutely beats it in terms of being rendered useless or getting beaten up.
ViRGE wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:24 am PS What was up with Decade initially antagonizing Zi-O? He seemed to be aware of what was really going on, so I still don't get it.
A cynical part of me believes that the writers hadn't quite decided on what Decade's deal was early on.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think it's just more fun to have Tsukasa be antagonistic at first, that way you can't tell if he's an ally or an enemy. Also rule of cool.

I bumped the poll options up to 20, don't abuse it!
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Decade Season 2 and therefore gets an automatic 9.5 from me.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

This is to me the ABSOLUTE WORST SEASON in the ENTIRE run of the Heisei Era :/

This season is a low 2, would be a low 1 if not for Decade and DiEnd and a couple of the exceptions to how UTTERLY TERRIBLE the use of all the cameos were. If not for them I would have dropped the series and just read the wiki when the smoke had cleared, and even then I still kind of wish I had.

How any of the writing got past editing for the most part is beyond me, it changes more than any of the Armor or Form changes in the season itself and NONE of it does the premise any favors. Plot holes abound, old rules are discarded with no rhyme or reason and their replacements are often as baffling if not more so, and for every one question poorly answered, three more pop up. Worst of all, for a season meant to be the final hurrah of the Heisei Era, they manage to make the last cast as boring and un-engaging as possible. Woz and Uncle were probably the best out of the lot of them because they both had actual personality and even then they and everyone else got outshone by Decade and DiEnd, who barely had a fraction of the screen time they should have for how much they worked to keep this season afloat.

Oma-Zi-O is hyped up for the entire mess, yet it turns out Sougo just needs to get really really angry and/or sad to completely jailbreak the Time Driver and make himself the godly King of Time. There's no conflict with his character at all, boring to start and boring to the finish, and despite them trying to make it seem otherwise, he has zero chemistry with Geiz and Tsukuyomi to make any of their "development" believable. Geiz has an even faster personality turn around than Makoto in Ghost, and that's saying something, and Tsukuyomi was just waiting for the writers to give her a purpose for two-thirds of the season. I have never struggled to give more of a damn about a protagonist and their support cast since I started watching Kamen Rider as a whole.

By and far this is the worst Toei has put to publishing in the last 20 years. People can talk all they like about Decade being too short and weak in the plot and how Ghost was too kiddy and overly stretched for its own plot, but those two at least MADE SENSE. The story details fit, the characters actually acted like people and gave you enough to want to know what happens to them. They don't throw in killer doomsday machines that get retconned out of existence, waste all but maybe three of their legacy cameos, and end up being a near exact repeat of the finale resolution of the previous season. Zi-O fails as an anniversary and fails as a stand-alone season in its own rights, and dear gods am I disappointed in it.

Here's hoping we get a better writing team for Zero-1 and that Reiwa gets a better start than how Heisei ended.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Now that Zi-O is over I can give some final thoughts, or at least current.

The story for Zi-O left a hole in my chest since as an anniversary series it felt like missed opportunity with the tributes or done rather unjustly, save for Agito, while I haven't seen it yet, since it felt more respectful to the series lore, though I have a feeling there's biased treatment in favor of getting it right. the time travel I felt was done rather poorly. The time travel rules felt like they weren't established so when they do explain something, I felt like what where did this come from.

Most characters felt rather underdeveloped or unjust. Sougo's dreams of being king is one I'll never get down with despite that it was all something pre orchestrated by Swartz. His growth, if there was any, felt rather minimal to the point where it felt like he didn't change until we got to the final episode where he basically lost his child like innocence to I'm done playing nice. Him getting the powers for the most time I felt were unearned with the past riders are like as it's like oh I guess I should give this to you since this is your series. Geiz,'s flip flop nature was annoying with me since he goes from I'm gonna kill sougo to I'll work with him. When he gets to actually being friends with him I can't help but think it should have been done better. Tukuyomi is a rather nothing character. She did have ok intentions of trying to stop Sougo from being Oma Zi-O but afterwards she's just there until we get her revelation that she's the sister of Swartz and by episode 48, she becomes a rider which is a missed opportunity, until the v cinema stuff I guess, and mostly unearned. Woz, probably my favorite out of the four since he's the hypeman I would want, but he's got no real development as a person.

The Time Jackers are probably one of my least favorites in the series, mainly Huere and Ora. They just exist since they want to take over the role of King for no other reason. Swartz, ehh I figure he would be the final boss, but his plan in the end felt so unnecessarily complicated to the point I ask why bother do all of this when you could make it simple for yourself. Oma Zi-O, I got nothing to say, other than that he's the first Rikiya Koyama rider to not die from an explosion.

Only positives I have character wise are that Tsukassa and Daiki are back as recurring characters and unironically Sougo's uncle is best character IMO since he can somehow fix anything and make good food even if he didn't contribute much to the story. The rider suits this year are good though I'm not really big on all the rider's eyes being katakana or in Geiz's case hiragana but it does give an interesting aesthetic.

in the end, I don't think it's the worst of the heisei era. It's not what some people I see on Twitter saying like it's good, but worst rider, I wouldn't say but it's surely not good.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Kurokage X wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:28 amOnly positives I have character wise are that Tsukassa and Daiki are back as recurring characters and unironically Sougo's uncle is best character IMO since he can somehow fix anything and make good food even if he didn't contribute much to the story.
What I said about female characters really isn't limited to females. If you don't want a noncombatant to look useless, give them some kind of skill, something they're good at.

The uncle hits more boxes to be a well rounded character than any of the main characters do.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

One more thought I don't think has been mentioned:
For a show called Kamen Rider, there wasn't a whole lot of riding was there?
How many epiosdes did Zi-O's bike actually appear in? 6?
I don't know if that's the least appearances for a main rider's machine, but it's definitely close and it makes me sad. Hell, the Time Mazines appeared more times.
I think it would've been nice if they integated the bike into the Mazine's controls to atleast have it appear in more than just 6 episodes.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”