Heisei Kamen Rider Poll, Discussion, and All-Around Good Time.

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Vote your Three favourite rider shows of the Heisei era!

Poll ended at Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:38 am

Kuuga
4%
Agito
3%
Ryuki
2%
5%
Blade
4%
Hibiki
2%
Kabuto
7%
Den-O
6%
Kiva
4%
Decade
4%
W
16%
OOO
5%
Fourze
7%
Wizard
2%
Gaim
12%
Drive
5%
Ghost
1%
Ex-Aid
3%
Build
8%
Zi-O
1%

Total votes: 419
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Re: Heisei Kamen Rider Poll, Discussion, and All-Around Good Time.

Post by Hoshinger »

I liked Ghost a lot because of the history element and the ghost world. The switching of powers was good because many had to be earned before use and not handed out. Without the need for cyborg riders anymore, it's nice to have special powers such as being immortal for a time and talking to the dead was cool because we've all needed a pick me up from departed loved ones.

I don't know why people like W so much because he was weak in terms of stats and leaving an empty shell behind is too dangerous. Also the two colored costume was lame because it meant that you had to turn to aim attacks at certain foes. It would've worked better with two initial riders who combined like Trunks and Goten.
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

Hoshinger wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:37 pm I liked Ghost a lot because of the history element and the ghost world. The switching of powers was good because many had to be earned before use and not handed out. Without the need for cyborg riders anymore, it's nice to have special powers such as being immortal for a time and talking to the dead was cool because we've all needed a pick me up from departed loved ones.

I don't know why people like W so much because he was weak in terms of stats and leaving an empty shell behind is too dangerous. Also the two colored costume was lame because it meant that you had to turn to aim attacks at certain foes. It would've worked better with two initial riders who combined like Trunks and Goten.
Weird right lol!, looking at the votes, you like the worst voted rider and (somewhat) dislike the best voted rider lol!, best and worst is purely subjective anyways, to each their own, but fact is, out of 245 votes casted so far, W wins it, whether one agrees to it or not.
kuramentoZERO
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: obachan wa iteta

Post by kuramentoZERO »

Firstly, would like to thank TV-Nihon for the dedication through the Heisei era. Been visiting this site since Faiz series, keep up the great work as we head into the Reiwa era.

Just sharing my personal thoughts here:

1. Kabuto - Although the story wasn't great the second half, Tendou saved this entire series by himself.

2. Gaim - Best storyline of the era, with characters that are interesting and have different dimensions. Possibly the coolest henshin pose by Zangetsu (throwing lock seed to the air and catch without looking? Damn), with great female supporting characters that do actual things and not just look pretty. This would be the best if i wasn't so bias about kabuto.

3. Faiz - The series that brought me back into kamen rider. Coolest henshin animation (Lights of the Photon lines of the suit forming before seeing the suit). Badass. People with No Name, best insert song of the era.

Honorable mentions:
1. W - i thought the two riders idea was stupid, in the end i had tears in my eyes watching the final two episodes. Well Done.

2. Build - Loved the characters, sento, misora, banjo, potato (lol) etc. cool rider suit designs (hazard form!). Storyline could be better entering the final arc of the series. Loved the final battle, ending...not so much.

3. Kuuga - This series is proof that a single rider series can work. Great characters and story.

4. Blade - Story was just getting by through the first half of the series, not helped by Kenzaki asking tachibana why he betrayed him almost everytime they met. Second half of the series is only topped by Gaim. Elements by Rider Chips, best opening song of the era.
edriel13
Adventure
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Spongecola
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "YOU influence the WORLD, never let the WORLD influence YOU"

Post by edriel13 »

Chose W, Blade, and Decade.

All Rider Series (on my opinion) deserves an honorable mention

Kuuga has a great ancient story
Agito mixed up dark and light storytelling
Ryuki has the fucked up story and mind blowing ending/alternate endings
Faiz has I think experienced the most sacrifices from friends, families, and humanity
*Blade is the main definition of what a rider should be
Hibiki, who started as not-a-rider show, started the mask theme without big eyes
Kabuto is the coolest (and strongest for me when it comes to based forms)
Den-O, who needs a fucking description?!, first rider that brought tears to =(
Kiva has the time shifting paradigm that connects two timelines
*Decade is the destroyer of worlds. ONE rider that can cover plotholes. lol
*W is the first of its kind. TWO humans into one rider. which has a great family and story arcs of all
OOO is the most helpful using THREE medals
Fourze is the most friendly and has FOUR SWITCHES
Wizard achieved its magic hype with FIVE main rings (Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Infinity)
Gaim has the most intriguing story of all. from a simple children dancing show jumping into an apocalyptic world. uses Locks which look like SIX (6) when opened
Drive uses cars. A series that mainly relied on the antagonists (ROIDMUDE). has a finishing attack that kicks and shapes like number SEVEN
Ghost didn't lived up to its name. a confusing storyline from gathering souls to a entering a family feud. Has a definite pattern of infinity, a side view of number EIGHT
Ex-Aid really showed what a Rider Game looks like. uses gashats that look like number NINE when (9) when inserted into the belt
Build has an alternate world. Most genius Rider of all. Focused on a Box that has TEN bottles per panel
Zi-O ...? didn't lived up to its name. Characters and stories were forced.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Ha, Neo Heisei could have a kid's book made for it with the counting bits

W is the big winner 45. Clearly people here love Neo Heisei
Gaim surprises no one at 32
Fourze pulls a bronze at 21

Kabuto gets 19, people really love that first half
Build 17, hm
Den-O 13, that Kobayashi, she sure can write characters

Blade and OOO tie for 12
Kiva and Drive 11
Ex-Aid 10
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!

Post by hiro9796 »

Well then, where should I start. I supposed there is more than 3 series that I liked but I ended up choosing W, Fourze and Drive, which these three series had some or most of it written by Sanjo Riku. The rest would had been Gaim, Kabuto, Agito, Build, Ex-Aid and Blade I suppose.

In any case, I'll try to give my reviews for the ones I like to say except Kuuga since I know nothing about this to compliment or complain.

1. Kamen Rider Double - Good introduction and fillers. The tragic background that Hidari Shoutarou faced when he is the type to show emotion too easily really touch me emotionally. I actually liked how despite his personality is a flaw to what he wanted to be, his way of being hard-boiled on his own way or rather act what he think is right really deserved an applause. Philip on the other hand really learn to act like a human despite he seems like a broken machine that tries too hard to learn whatever he think is interesting. Akiko is annoying as always with her conceits and green slipper slapping but she really is dependable when Shoutarou is in low spirits or terrified. Terui Ryuu, well, the cool, aloof police. At least there is someone who is serious for his job in Fuuto police department. That is all about the protagonists. Now, the antagonists seems somehow meet the minimum requirement. I think Isaka Shinkurou and Sonozaki Saeko are better but the former should had been part of the final showdown. Kazu Jun is totally uninspiring. He just came out of nowhere and then gets beaten the next episode. Wish he actually interfered earlier, not last minute before being beaten. Sonozaki/Sudou Kirihiko, he needs a bit more debut in interrupting the main heroes. Story wise, W had solid start and fillers but the showdown with Sonozaki family was totally a mess. It's just started and ended too suddenly so it's not that enjoyable in that part. Suit designs is okay for me. I do love to have someone smart by my side who can just like look at the Earth to find the answer. That is why W is my number one.

2. Kamen Rider Fourze - Now, this is something seems to act properly according to the story context. High school students acting half childish and adult-like. I do like how Gentarou's straightforward personality actually broke the status quo of discrimination of having their own groups. Seriously, I watch this series without even expecting anything and then suddenly it sparks an interest in how well the story play and the protagonist's influence on his schoolmates turned the school into a better place. Elastic suspender sensei is annoying but this story would had too much flaw if he does not exist. The ending is rather touchy and I had no qualms about how this endgame turns out because they are only highschool pupils.

3. Kamen Rider Drive - The story is okay but I supposed the only thing that got me going for this series was actually Chase/Kamen Rider Chaser. Regardless on which side, whether the Roidmude or Drive, he is someone who would do anything for his allies even if someone (Gou/Medic) despise him. It is no wonder that Heart has respect for Chase. Chase is an ally that supports people despite how much some of those people despise him. Even if his love for Kiriko is unrequited, it still does not change the fact that I like Chase as a character since he develop emotions as time goes on. The moral of Drive series between Roidmudes and Human race is that regardless if there is an evil race that tries to obliterate humans, if they are created by humans then it is humanity that wished for their own destruction. At the very least, I think this series final battle seems good because the heroes and even their old enemies, Roidmudes (the higher ups) worked together to stop a common enemy. I sure wish Double had this kind of endgame with the Sonozaki family, not that Philip learn who he was and suddenly final battle happened without warning. The fight with Kazu Jun is not all that interesting, you barged in to the enemy base and ended up retreating. For me, that is not appropriate at all from this aspect. If you infiltrate enemy base to save someone and beat the bad boss as the endgame, it is expected the protagonists to achieve victory, not losing.

4. Kamen Rider Gaim - Yes, a dark series with Urabochi Gen as the head writer. I already watched Fate Zero so I do know well that this series would turn out ugly at some point of the series, especially with the fact that the very first Inves whom Gaim fought was his own friend. The suit designs is good, especially for Kachidoki Arms. The Kiwami Arms felt rather plain for me because they took out all the bulky armours to fight with only an inner shirt and pants.

5. Kamen Rider Kabuto - I do like this series because I ended up playing the PS2 game long before I even watched this series, although I don't understand anything about Japanese back then on that game. Only struggle to win when you had to fight alone without any support from ZECT troopers or other riders and when Kabuto had to fight both Kageyama and Yaguruma in their Punch and Kick hoppers form. Now, on to the series itself. Is this series is telling us to take up any good advise from our wise grandmother? Because I definitely question if Souji's grandmother write up all those advice in a book and then hand it to Souji himself or tell him when he was little. And I hate Souji. The series is good but this guy is definitely annoying with his conceited yet he lived up what he said to others on his own merit. At least he seems more friendly in the endgame rather than being an arrogant guy.

6. Kamen Rider Agito - I was not really expecting a lot from this series since I watched this some times after Ghost. However, it is better than what I expected. I thought this was a mere follow-up sequence of Kuuga (by this, I meant the old enemies arrived in a new form as Unknown and Kuuga upgraded into Agito as a Kamen Rider) initially, but this is so better as a standalone series. I suppose I like Hikawa Makoto more than Tsugami Shouichi (Real name Sawaki Tetsuya) because he is more serious than rather than being playful. Suit designs, I believe Agito really had it good with Burning and Shining form, Gills and Exceed Gills look good too. G3-X is a bit bulky but I do like the fact that technology finally catch up to defeat a normal unknown as opposed having Agito or Gills delivering the finishing blows.

7. Kamen Rider Build - The only thing that I care to like is the suit design for Rabbit Rabbit and Tank Tank form along with Kamen Rider Rogue (just did not like the fragile mark on the back of the helmet). Story wise, too much plot twist, on the bad guys' side and politic conflicts. The end.

8. Kamen Rider Ex-Aid. I suppose only the Kamen Rider Chronicle arc is what I preferred most in this series. That's it.

9. Kamen Rider Blade - Good series, suit designs and stories. Just wish the ending can turn out better, like the one in Zi-O and that Leangle turns good earlier, not near the endgame.

10. Kamen Rider Kiva - I suppose we should just made this an Otoya story instead of Wataru. Because either way, you don't really talk much about Wataru. Suit designs, I suppose Emperor form is over-used for most of it but I understand that the normal suits are TOO heavy for Takaiwa Seiji to handle so yes, whatever works.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

W is the top pick for me. The energy and template it provided for the post Decade Heisei series is unmatched. Great characters and stories and its oozing with style and theme, every episode is like a Sherlock Holmes or Raymond Chandler short.

Gaim is a close 2. The story and characters are great and it was a nice shake up after the formula got stale. Making the fruit theme work took some serious effort but was done well.

Build is 3 for me. The characters are really neat and the overall story is pretty good. It has some weak parts for sure, but it stands out enough. Really like how they blended humour in for this one.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!

Post by hiro9796 »

At this rate, Bronze can go to either Kabuto, Fourze or Build. I am not surprised about Gaim but I am amazed that W was almost everyone's top choice because what I had in mind was that most people watched Gaim first and then compared the series before and after with this series.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

Kabuto started it all for me, so it's going to always have a special place in my heart.

Gaim was absolutely fucking amazing. I initially thought I would hate it because the designs looked rather dumb. However around episode 18 I gave it a second chance and binged the first 17 episodes and was absolutely hooked.

Ex-Aid is a recent one for me. Again, I skipped over it because I thought the designs were too childish. Also, as a gamer myself, I figured it wouldn't do the genre justice. However after binging Build earlier this year, I decided "What the hell, I'll give it a go." Quite honestly, I found it absolutely perfect from beginning to end. Also...Kuruto. What more do you need?
kevinlafriday
Infinity

Post by kevinlafriday »

For me personally, the only criteria that matters is the right plot directing and character building. I don't care if the costume looks like half and half color in one suit (remember all the early W hate during Decade finale?). And therefore my pick goes to W and Gaim (plot cohesiveness). But OOO excels in terms of characters over those two, so i picked it as well.
Arclight
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Arclight »

My fave 3 I will keep it brief

W - To me still the standard in getting everything right with a series

Gaim - Though it can get a little overkill it was a great series and glad the dancing team gimmick did not detract form the Tequlia Banana Battle Royale - Also props to Sid getting killed so brutally

Kabuto - I dont know why I love this series so much but as good as Decade is and I rate him second best rider and Zio cemented that but Tendo will always be the one Walking the path of God and my fave series so far
Cl0ckwrx
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Cl0ckwrx »

I'll forever be partial to Hibiki as it was the first Rider series I actually managed to watch from episode 1 all the way through the end. Kabuto for me if I recall was my second series cant recall if I ever finished it but loved the designs way to much.
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

ryujin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:55 am
Hoshinger wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:37 pm I liked Ghost a lot because of the history element and the ghost world. The switching of powers was good because many had to be earned before use and not handed out. Without the need for cyborg riders anymore, it's nice to have special powers such as being immortal for a time and talking to the dead was cool because we've all needed a pick me up from departed loved ones.

Weird right lol!, looking at the votes, you like the worst voted rider and (somewhat) dislike the best voted rider lol!, best and worst is purely subjective anyways, to each their own, but fact is, out of 245 votes casted so far, W wins it, whether one agrees to it or not.
Going against the favorites of others is how I go. I think Ghost was trying too hard and needed a little more grim. At least the Ex-Aid hybrid looked cool.
rubius
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
2nd Favorite Series: Lupinranger vs. Patranger
Dreamy: Patren Sango/Magine
Favorite Actor?: N/A
Favorite Band: Rider Girls/Chips

Post by rubius »

gaim, ghost, and zi-o for me
Finished Shows
Kamen Rider:Heisei Riders - Saber
Super Sentai: From Zyuranger to Kiramager
Other: Justirizer, Rescue Force/Fire

Haven't watched a Tokusatsu I didn't like :mrgreen:
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

I voted for Kiva, W and Ryuki.

Kiva is my absolute favourite. Fantastic story and story-telling, compelling enemies, captivating designs for riders and Fangires and exceptional soundtrack (best of all rider shows in my opinion) and character songs. And above all, characters you can connect with and feel what they feel; from the timid Wataru to the jolly Otoya etc.; characters which develop and connect not only to you but also to each other as the show progresses. Also last show where the story and plot weren't handed to you on the plate - you had to think and solve the puzzle yourself.

W is my second favourite for reasons already stated in this thread. Overall superb.

I was thinking of OOO for third but Ryuki was my first rider series (back when early TV-N subs were uploaded on veoh) and I love the characters.

So it's Kiva, W and Ryuki.

With honourable mentions for OOO, Agito, Kuuga and Gaim.
Behold the Emperor!

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”