Worst Heisei Riders

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Vote your Three least favourite rider shows of the Heisei era

Poll ended at Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:15 am

Kuuga
1%
Agito
1%
Ryuki
3%
2%
Blade
1%
Hibiki
10%
Kabuto
1%
Den-O
3%
Kiva
6%
Decade
6%
W
1%
OOO
2%
Fourze
3%
Wizard
12%
Gaim
5%
Drive
2%
Ghost
22%
Ex-Aid
6%
Build
2%
Zi-O
12%

Total votes: 361
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: Worst Heisei Riders

Post by Ghost23 »

Zi-O , I mean really that ending does not make any sense to me, considering that Zi-O was old in the future and Geiz and Tsukuyomi and the time jackers are teens. Wouldn't they be non existence in the present if time resets? second for me would be Ex-Aid I don't really hate this series but I just didn't like some of the costume design. Last would be OOO again I really don't hate this series, its just there wasn't really a upgrade form or even a final form, they just made a stronger form then the others. It's interesting reading what others dislike about some of these series.
kuramentoZERO
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: obachan wa iteta

Post by kuramentoZERO »

I would give all 3 votes to zi-o if possible... where to start. Time travel that makes up and breaks its own rules. Main character that wakes up and thinks oh i want to be king and feels everything "will just work out".

Saved only because Decade, and because we all need our own hype man in our lives.

So the 2 series i felt was bad were:
1. Ghost - The entire series was just so boring, didn't like the suit, the characters.. Everything. The grandma takoyaki scene though. Those were some hardcore onions.

2. Kiva - Didn't like the story, didn't like the characters. Otoya has much more interesting arc compared to Wataru.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

So the biggest loser is Ghost at 44

Then I'm sensing some recency bias:
Zi-o 26
Wizard 23

Runner-ups
Hibiki at 22

Kiva and Gaim??? 12
Explain yourselves about Gaim!

Ex-aid 11
christopherjohn
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
My boom: Prop making

Post by christopherjohn »

My pick is simple. What would I not want to rewatch. Blade wins that. I can rewatch Ghost I can put up with its awful pacing. I can not put up with Blade's lack of story till the very end. The same plot being repeated multiple times. The main rider not getting any story till the 20's and still doesn't do much in growth.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's funny because I had the opposite feeling rewatching Blade. I remember none of us in the group liked it at first, the first 13 episodes just didn't hook us and we couldn't tell the difference between the Riders.

But on my rewatch, I was surprised by how much early world building there is. Kenzaki is a generic good guy, but he has a lot of passion for what he does. And it's neat to see all the little hints about who Hajime really is.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I guess both polls goes to show just how much opinions can vary, which is a good thing. But darn, I'm feeling a little bad for Ghost! At the same time, I also didn't realise Hibiki would voted so much, though in hindsight I shouldn't be so surprise. Not only was the show a wild departure in terms of style and pacing compared to all other shows, but even if you liked it, you'd get burned pretty bad by the retooled second half.

Even as a fan of Gaim, I can totally see why it'd be a polarising show, it's something bound to produce strong feelings whether good or bad.

I kinda also wanna express shock over some of my other various favourites receiving as many votes as they do here, but I feel like I'd just be inviting elaboration I'm not looking for.

Also is it just me or did a lot of new people make accounts just to vote on the two polls? Sure feels like it!
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

3) Wizard. Honestly the worst part of it is what I do like about Wizard I really like. I like the two main riders and how the actors played off of each other. I like that they played with the idea of how more support riders could exist. I love the design of Wizard, as well as the songs in it. But a lot of the writing missteps, mainly in 'how do we deal with important enemy x' just drag the whole affair down, especially the ending.

2) Ryuki. Look, I've hated Ryuki for a long time, mostly for it's willingness to deny characters growth within the story itself. And again that (tv) ending just drives me up the wall. It's one thing to go through the hardships they present in this series, it's another for it to not have mattered in the end.

1) Ghost. This show, this, flippin, show. HOLY CARP DAMNABLE SHOW! This show melted my brain to watch, not helped by my decided to start a youtube review channel with this, THIS, as the first series to review as it came out. Just... JUST! Like the others, I ding for their endings, or how things could have been done better, but just everything about this show was, I don't even, GAH! I spent, a whole year of youtubing, watching and re-watching, and watching some more for editing purposes, and writing about, and I just... I have a whole hour long summary video covering, after going through each episode for it's whole run, how bad this is. Also I (not completely) blame it for how dead my channel was from the start so there's an extra bit of bias against this TRASH.

honorable mention: Zi-o, I've only watched like 5 episodes of it but what I've heard? yikes.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

BreadToku wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:18 am Also is it just me or did a lot of new people make accounts just to vote on the two polls? Sure feels like it!
I have not seen very many registered users signed in at any given moment. But it looks like the forum is set to cycle that count rather quickly. So I'd be curious what the admins see in terms of registration/voting stats.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

memberlist.php?mode=&sk=c&sd=d#memberlist

Looks like a lot of people creating accounts and not posting anything. Most seem to post one thing then leave.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Now then, for the worst rider series. Since I can't choose more than 3, I will write what I chose in the order. So I chose Zi-O, Hibiki and OOO as my top three followed by the rest than I will explain in order. Before I even explain anything, I do need to point out one thing. The stories of Super Sentai or Kamen Rider are heavily affected by selling Bandai products to children so the story can totally messed up and did not turn out like it supposed to be, MAINLY because of this as what happens in Lupin VS Pat and Hibiki. Toy takes priority for Bandai so Toei had no choice but to rush the story and of course ruins it in the process.

1. Kamen Rider Zi-O - As people already aware, the story is totally all over the place. The early episodes seems too out of place and felt plain. At the very least, when we have White Woz appearing, it does seems to be more structured. Oma Zi-O is in the end, seems like a good guy, simple as that. He is not trying to destroy the world, he's just forcing his authority on the people. Tsukuyomi seems rather useless to be having in the story. Geiz seems to have more development than Sougo. We know nothing about Woz either. I really hate the first half, literally all of it before White Woz appear.

2. Kamen Rider Hibiki - I supposed the previous Producer, Takatera Shigenori at that time had envision Hibiki to be something different than usual. However, he ignored and forgot to take into account about the agreement with Bandai in promoting toy sales so I suppose that is why he and the related team were dismissed. Not to mention that the toy catalogs were promoted before the main story of any series kicks in. The design is definitely not something children would find attractive, with the scary face of an Oni on it, absolutely a no unless this is for Garo series. Next, we can all see that the Makamou are heavily relying on CGIs and it does not even help that the filming location is quite far, in the mountains and it is nearly for every episodes before the staff change occurs. Not to mention that we have Asumu doing the recap for every episodes. I suppose his character was to reflect on ourselves when we grow, struggle, and our indecisiveness to decide our own future but it would had been better if his development as a character seems fast and obvious, not the slow and subtle. Not to offend anyone but I do think the second half had its own merit but the only think I believe is not needed is Kiriya Kyosuke, that's it. Honestly, I did not notice there is a staff change in Hibiki production team until I finished watching this series.

3. Kamen Rider OOO - I believe Ankh should had been the main rider, not Eiji. Why? Because I don't like the stupid ideology of HAVING an UNDERWEAR FOR TOMORROW is considered hope. NO NO NO! The next one would be the too much cake making HAPPY BIRTHDAY president and the freaking CREEPY idiot that is insane when his bald doll is not on his arm. That's it. I'm never watching OOO ever again.

4. Kamen Rider Decade - I supposed the ending and movie whole thing was a mess. I don't know what Decade story is supposed to be. The journey itself is okay for me. No problems on that.

5. Kamen Rider Ghost - This series is seriously felt plain, nothing exciting.

6. Kamen Rider Build - Too much plot twist and political conflict. The end.

7. Kamen Rider Faiz - Kusaka Masato is too much of a perverted bastard. The early stories with Kiba Yuji and Osada Yuka were totally cruel. We only know much on Mari but nothing on Inui Takumi's story before he even became an Orphenoch. I don't really like how this stories had the belt being exchanged with many people and it is easily detached and sent flying when the user takes too much damage. Because it feels like you're wearing someone's used and unwashed underwear and will prone to be having diseases.
Last edited by hiro9796 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Worst is Ghost. It's all over the show and doesn't really have any likeable characters or notable arcs that come to mind.

2nd worst is Zi-O. Half original story and half Heisei throwback and none of it works very well. It's telling when Decade is the best character in the show.

3rd worst is Wizard. I wouldn't say it's bad per say, but bland? I just remember that both now and while watching it I always felt it was a touch boring. Decent premise, decent characters, but nothing really comes together.
joan_kurisu
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: KR Decade & Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Actor?: Masayuki Izumi
Favorite Band: Flow
Quote: Torisugari no Kamen Raida da. Oboeteoke.

Post by joan_kurisu »

for me, it's Ex-Aid...only because I totally hated his Rider Form...
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

Wizard for me. It had some good moments but it really didn't blow me away. And I'm one of the few people who actually thought Ghost was fine. It was a little disjointed, but at least the story was consistent. Behind Wizard is Zi-O followed very closely by Decade. I originally had those two tied, but I realized that I like Decade a little more because while it's story was more or less non-existent, what WAS there was consistent. Zi-O tried, but it didn't know what it wanted to do.
kevinlafriday
Infinity

Post by kevinlafriday »

My pick: ZiO, Ghost, and Hibiki.

Most of these bad rider series always have one common thing: they just failed to apply common sense in the plot. That's it. They are using actors to depict characters who have reached adult age, but always based actions from 5-year old logic
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

kevinlafriday wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 pm My pick: ZiO, Ghost, and Hibiki.

Most of these bad rider series always have one common thing: they just failed to apply common sense in the plot. That's it. They are using actors to depict characters who have reached adult age, but always based actions from 5-year old logic
It's been a while since I watched Hibiki, was there a lot of that there?

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”