Ryusoulger 24 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:53 pm

★★★★★
9%
★★★★
64%
★★★
No votes
★★
18%
9%

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 24 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 1.77 / 5 (13 votes)

Alt Title: Gold-focused episode

Wow, Creon shamed them into not using weapons against the Minusar (but they still dishonorably fought it two against one)

Green and Black are so good that they find the Minusaur without following the green breadcrumb trail

Alright gold episode. The team helped him train and there were some good gags and character moments. The show's weakness is still the by-necessity focus on red or gold for the mecha sections.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ryusoulger 24 released

Post by Lunagel »

Someone at Toei must've heard my screams of rage last week because there are a mere 22 effect lines this week and most of that is the roll call. Yay!

Honestly this was probably my favorite episode so far this series. A decent (if a little ridiculous) plot, good characterization, nice mix of serious and silly, and not straight-out telling you what was going on but leaving clues. You can tell a veteran toku writer did this one.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Good and funny ep. The pâtissier theme of the Minusaur was a nice touch. Some cool camera angles during the RyusoulGold/Minusaur fight.
Behold the Emperor!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

There are a lot of double meanings in this episode that Canalo misreads that don't always work the same way in English so I'll make a quick list:

1:18 Would you go out with me somewhere? よかったら付き合ってもらえませんか?
The verb here 付き合う has a double meaning of "to go out with/date" and also "to accompany/to come with"

5:40 That's my dream... ああいうのにめちゃくちゃ憧れる…。
The verb 憧れる has a double meaning of "to admire" and "to yearn for" but takenoko made the suggestion of "that's my dream" as it conveys the double meaning more. She's saying she really admires the patissier but Canalo misreads it as yearning for the wedding cake

6:36 You throw away the path of karate to follow your saccharine dream. 空手の道を捨て甘い夢を見ようなど
Here 甘い夢 can mean either "sweet dream" or "naive dream" so I went with saccharine to try and get a middle ground so the outcome wasn't too obvious
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

This really feels like a classic Sentai episode, which I actually think most Ryusoulger episodes feel like, but this was particularly in a good way. Somebody in production clearly wanted a break from the swordsmanship to have everyone showing off their karate moves too. The only 'downside' I can think of is that the mecha fight is basically an instant win on Canalo's part, but I honestly didn't mind since I didn't need to see him learning to overcome the monster a second time.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

If the marriage gag hadn't been done to death already, the twist wouldn't have been so obvious.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Ahh, there's our annual Toei edo backlot episode. This one is as ham-fisted as the rest in justifying the setting, but Toei definitely gets points for tenacity.:lol:

Overall it was a charming enough episode, and Gold was due for a focus episode. However I am a bit dissappointed that it was a character trait episode, as opposed to a plot episode. The writers are purposely holding back any information on why Canolo is in such a dang hurry to get married, and it's starting to get annoying.:P

Speaking of marriage, as Catastrophe correctly notes, the marriage gag has already been done to death. So the episode doesn't really have a twist; we know it's going to go wrong, the only question is how?

In terms of technicals, I suppose one of the benefits of shooting on an actual set are that you have some additional options for camera placement and blocking, and it shows here. That first minosaur fight was pretty good, especially with Green and Black. Unfortunately, this setting also hurt the robo fight pretty badly; since most shots needed VFX, that was prerty much the bare minimum a robo fight can be.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

6:36 You throw away the path of karate to follow your saccharine dream. 空手の道を捨て甘い夢を見ようなど
Here 甘い夢 can mean either "sweet dream" or "naive dream" so I went with saccharine to try and get a middle ground so the outcome wasn't too obvious

Ah, I didn't even catch that one. That's pretty good in retrospect. We should do more translator note stuff like this.
Cl0ckwrx
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Cl0ckwrx »

I'm still not a huge fan of Sentai series where the mecha is pretty much 99% red(or in this case Red+gold) . I mean I LOVE The idea of the many possible combinations but maybe I missed it has the Fortress formation showed up at all yet? 5 Knights isn't bad I'm still hoping tha they will surprise us down the road with a 6 knights of some form using all 6 main mecha but at this rate I have a feeling that won't happen and it makes me sad.

Aslo quick question has anyone figured out the Naming scheme this year? Like how Dekaranger was tea, Shinkenger had names relating to their colors/elements. Kyouryuuger could spell out Dinosaur and Kyouryuu by using the first syllables. I've been curious if this season has some hidden fun with the names or not. I mean apart from Lucky all of the Kyurangers i beleive had names relaing in one way or another to their constellations.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

That was a pretty decent episode, though for some reason it felt shorter than previous ones? Maybe that's just me.
Ah yes, the physics-defying, projectile-dodging, mid-air fish-like twirl was the answer all along.
Why did Mao's dad not kick Canalo's ass once he confessed he was fantasizing about marrying her?

Random thought: Where do Towa and Bamba hang out/sleep when there's nothing going on? Do they have an apartment somewhere in Tokyo? A tent on Ui's roof?
Cl0ckwrx wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:12 pm Aslo quick question has anyone figured out the Naming scheme this year?
I don't think there's a particular pattern this year unfortunately, though I could be wrong.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Blade »

Why hasn't Gold hit on Pink at all? Both are literally the same type of humans who will live to a ridiculous age and look relatively young for it.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Kamen Rider Blade wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm Why hasn't Gold hit on Pink at all? Both are literally the same type of humans who will live to a ridiculous age and look relatively young for it.
Maybe they will question it one day or perhaps intended to be shipped but not now. When was the last time a core female ranger married the sixth ranger? Did it stop at Hikaru/Sungel and Urara?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Kamen Rider Blade wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm Why hasn't Gold hit on Pink at all? Both are literally the same type of humans who will live to a ridiculous age and look relatively young for it.
I'm thinking all the land Ryusoul tribe members are inbred. There's not enough genetic diversity to escape how close they all are to related to each other.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

As far as the main plot went, I felt it was a little formulaic (at first Canalo can't do something, then he can after a training sequence), though the misunderstanding was quite an entertaining one in retrospect. Unfortunately, this didn't do what I felt a character-focused episode should do; it neither refined nor developed Canalo in any ways we hadn't seen before to me, and while it did take him to his emotional core, we've already had a few episodes focus on him that have done similar things. Still, the twist at the end was both clever and well executed.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Cl0ckwrx
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Cl0ckwrx »

CheetahLynx wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:36 pm I don't think there's a particular pattern this year unfortunately, though I could be wrong.
Early on i thought maybe the first letters related to eras. Cenozoic and such but while this could work for most I wasn't able to spot a dinosaur era with A or B. Mesozoic, Cenozoic, Cretacious and Triassic could fit 4/6 so maybe i was just missing a couple. Its a minor minor hing and potentially a stretch since Like i Said i wasn't able to spot a B or A one but maybe I over looked it. Koh might be a nod to the clade that Tyrannosaurs are in Coelurosauria but this falls short when looking for a similar nod with Melto, Asuna (though Anklyosauridae works) Towa (nothing in relating to similodon works with T unless we go tiger) and Banba/Bamba(can never remember his name) i couldn't find any B name relating to stegosaurs(especially miragaia) there is a Mosasaur who's name starts with C but again as spotty as these seem to be its unlikely. I kinda miss the fun name themes.

last series we got Kei Sa Tsu and Kai To U (with Noel i guess being 'n for a cops n robbers allusion or something.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”